PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Candidates

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Who are some viable coaching candidates to replace Rex Ryan. I would like David Shaw but I doubt he goes to NFL ever or Harbaugh from Michigan.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2016, 10:00 AM
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah

Harbaugh would never in a zillion years leave Michigan to come to this train wreck of a team

IlluminatusUIUC
09-16-2016, 10:37 AM
The best option IMO is Wade Phillips. The guy can coach the crap out of a 3-4 D and hopefully it shakes off the curse.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 10:41 AM
I like Wade a lot and that is one of my hopes is that the new coach keeps the 34D as going back to a 43 would be terrible idea. That said we need a coach who can make adjustments on the fly unlike Rex, which we all knew but was flat out proven last night. Would hiring Wade back be a good idea?

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 10:53 AM
College Coaches:
Tom Herman - Houston
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M
Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

NFL Assistants:
Vic Fangio - Bears DC
Josh McDaniels - Patriots OC
Frank Reich - Chargers OC
Sean McDermott - Panthers DC
Darrell Bevell - Seahawks OC

Buffalogic
09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Bevell would be nice.

Harbaugh might come here if we gave him ultimate power to do whatever and I'd be ok with that.

sukie
09-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Bevell would be nice.

Harbaugh might come here if we gave him ultimate power to do whatever and I'd be ok with that.

Harbaugh has an opportunity to have a college job for as long as he wants... Why "risk" an NFL gig?

Historian
09-16-2016, 10:57 AM

Brandon Marketing Slogan:

"THE COMEBACK KID COMES BACK!!!"

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 11:03 AM
I do not like McDaniels or most of the names you listed from NFL ranks. I am also not a fan of any the college college coaches you listed. Only college coaches I would consider are Shaw and Harbaugh, neither will leave in my opinion.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Just to be clear I am routing for bills to lose now. I want Rex gone at a minimum. Whaley I am undecided on because I do think he leads a really good scouting group, so if he does go I want those guys to stick around.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Bill Cowher!!!!

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 11:27 AM
What about the Pats D coord Patricia, I have heard good things about him but I am not sure. I am not a mcdaniels fan because without Brady he has sucked.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 11:29 AM
All I want is an off coach who hires a def staff to keep the 34 or 34 principles in terms of players. Will always be a hybrid but I do not want to have to draft new DL and new LBs as that will be major rebuild. I think we have some really good players we just need a real coach.

The King
09-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Doug Marrone?

In all seriousness, I could go for the Wade re-hire, the guy has rebuilt every defense he's touched.

sukie
09-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Why the love for the 3-4? educate me. It seems better to have 4 on the line unless all world LBs are in place.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Wade I could do it and I think all in Buffalo would not be opposed as he really got fired because he would not fire the special teams coord after music city miracle. I would not hate it as he did do well with San Diego.

- - - Updated - - -

The love for the 34 is that is how we are built and I really do not want to have redraft or find players for a 43 when we have good players for the 34. It has more to do with not wanting a total rebuild.

The King
09-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Wade I could do it and I think all in Buffalo would not be opposed as he really got fired because he would not fire the special teams coord after music city miracle. I would not hate it as he did do well with San Diego.

- - - Updated - - -

The love for the 34 is that is how we are built and I really do not want to have redraft or find players for a 43 when we have good players for the 34. It has more to do with not wanting a total rebuild.

Well Dareus is on deck for ten games and without him we're really not a 3-4 either. We're basically a big turd.

sukie
09-16-2016, 11:56 AM

- - - Updated - - -

we are built for ****ty 3-4 results? That isn't much of a build. Is 3-4 better than a 4-3 or is it just Rex's 3-4 is so far and away different from a traditional 3-4?

Albany,n.y.
09-16-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm on the Shaw bandwagon & I won't get off of it until we have Shaw or a new coach.

swiper
09-16-2016, 12:13 PM
The best option IMO is Wade Phillips. The guy can coach the crap out of a 3-4 D and hopefully it shakes off the curse.

Chan Gailey or Jim Schwartz would be better options.

Oh wait...

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Can somebody explain to me why Shaw would want to leave Stanford?

He's a perennial Top 25 team in a Power 5 conference but doesn't have the demand of needing to win the conference title annually or ever really challenge for a national title. He's in a perfect situation out west.

swiper
09-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Anybody but Rex. Ryan is officially worse than Jauron. His in game management sucks. His players (again) take way too many unforgivable penalties. His defense is a nightmare. He will never get another job as a head coach when Buffalo finally fires him. He and his fat twin should be out of the league completely. What an embarrassment.

Him allowing Roman to use Manuel like he did is unforgivable. Any real coach would have cut that **** off right at the outset. Run the ****ing fullback for one yard instead of putting in your cold putz second string QB. Stupidity reigns at OBD.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:26 PM
College Coaches:
Tom Herman - Houston
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M
Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

NFL Assistants:
Vic Fangio - Bears DC

Good list.

I'm still on the lure Kirk Ferentz out of Iowa idea, even if it likely will never happen.

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Good list.

I'm still on the lure Kirk Ferentz out of Iowa idea, even if it likely will never happen.

I knew you were going to say that.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
I love Ferentz but will not happen like Shaw. As for the 34 I just remember Chan saying it give OCs more problems than a 43 because you never know where 4th guy is coming from.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:42 PM
I knew you were going to say that.

Have I been on his bandwagon for enough years yet?

Is it time to move on?

:rofl:

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Never Mr. Pink, been a fan of his and wanted him when we hired Jauron

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Never Mr. Pink, been a fan of his and wanted him when we hired Jauron

Him and Trestman are the guys I've liked for years and unfortunately for Trestman I think he kinda got a raw deal in Chicago.

I would give him a second go round as well.

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Him and Trestman are the guys I've liked for years and unfortunately for Trestman I think he kinda got a raw deal in Chicago.

I would give him a second go round as well.

Would you give Tressel a call down at Youngstown? I'm not sure he could make it work in the NFL, but he's a name that many considered for a while.

USC_Gamecock
09-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Urban Meyer.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Would you give Tressel a call down at Youngstown? I'm not sure he could make it work in the NFL, but he's a name that many considered for a while.

I haven't followed him at Youngstown so I don't know what he's looked like as a head coach there but based on his Ohio State stuff I don't think he's cut out for the NFL. His systems, his control of his players, etc...

Not knowing what he's done with Youngstown I can't give a more informed opinion because maybe he's changed a little.

psubills62
09-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Herman is a great coach, but I question how well he'd do in the pros. Sumlin - yuck. Kelly - meh. He's a lot like Mark Richt to me - pulls tons of talent, just kind of sits around at a decent number of wins.

Justin Fuente is a college coach I think who might be good for the pros (he is not a good recruiter, IMO, but a good gameday coach), but would like to see him get more seasoning in college.

Bevell is intriguing to me. Would absolutely despise a McDaniels hire. Kind of meh on the other coordinators.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Urban Meyer.

NEVER

Buffalogic
09-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Bevell + tyrod feels nice. If Tyrod is on the team next year.

Lol what a mess we are. Approaching niners dumpster fire status.

USC_Gamecock
09-16-2016, 01:30 PM
NEVER

He's a perfect candidate in this thread -- with a bunch of has been or never will be good NFL coaches.

sukie
09-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Greg Roman is available. Name just came to me. The guy is a winner and can make a guy like Kaepernick shine.

ticatfan
09-16-2016, 01:39 PM

I would give him a second go round as well.Trestmans problem in Chicago was the anchor(cutler) around his neck.

Crisis
09-16-2016, 01:49 PM
I don't understand how anyone can see what McDaniels did in Denver and want to bring him on board. He turned that franchise into a mess that Elway had to sort out.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 02:21 PM
He's a perfect candidate in this thread -- with a bunch of has been or never will be good NFL coaches.

LOL true

justasportsfan
09-16-2016, 03:38 PM
I wanted Hue Jackson HC/OC and Schwartz DC when we hired Sexy Rexy

:mad:

DetDannyWilliams
09-16-2016, 04:23 PM

yeah and then we draft Kelly

sudzy
09-16-2016, 05:32 PM
In all seriousness, I could go for the Wade re-hire, the guy has rebuilt every defense he's touched.

He had a streak (and might still, I don't know) of making the playoffs in the 1st year of every HC and DC job he had. Right now, that means more to me then his butchering of the English language or if he wears a head set.

Mace
09-16-2016, 07:03 PM
I suppose the only thing I hope for is that they'll get a coach who manages two quality coordinators, not a coach who insists on running his own specialty unit and becomes his own coordinator again.

Carroll in Seattle was successful with Quinn/Bevell. Harbaugh (though with passing game input, which is fine) with Fangio and Roman in SF. Belichick certainly has input, but you see McDaniels and Patricia actually coordinating, as did Crennell and Weis. John Harbaugh has Pees and Trestman in Baltimore, Tomlin has Haley and Butler (for a long time LeBeau) in Pittsburgh. They manage their coordinators, don't coordinate their own units. Running your own unit because no one else can is a flaw not a strength for a head coach who cannot find anyone to work well under him, because they're obsessed with their own unit and can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't want a head coach who cripples his coordinators by hiring his own lackeys instead of theirs though they need to be on the same page. Rex brought Lee, Lal, Sparano Jr., Lynn to Roman's table. The Jets were not known for their offense besides it never working right.

Most of all, I want a real football guy driving the search. Yes, a freaking czar. Not Brandon, not Pegulas, not Whaley who fell for the Ryan scam. The next time they recycle, they need to do it properly and overhaul the organizational structure.

What if you had a guy managing Schwartz as DC, Roman as OC, but gave Roman a quality QB coach for his passing game ? A guy who wasn't married to his systems but managed theirs in context, and concentrated on game preparation, sideline management, while supervising his supervisors.

Get a manager of managers. It's appropriate. Who is that guy ? If I knew I'd be a football czar. I know I'll know who it isn't though. The guy who has to coordinate his own units through lackeys.

Turf
09-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Roman is an imbecile that telegraphs his running plays, can't implement a no huddle or two minute hurry up offense, and can't call plays in on time. Why anyone would want this guy is beyond me. All he does is try and prove how clever he thinks he is. Tell me one thing he did that worked.

Mace
09-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Roman is an imbecile that telegraphs his running plays, can't implement a no huddle or two minute hurry up offense, and can't call plays in on time. Why anyone would want this guy is beyond me. All he does is try and prove how clever he thinks he is. Tell me one thing he did that worked.

He put in a running game that was desired to be successful and made best use of a faulty o-line. I'll say it again, blame the passing input for passing, Roman doesn't do passing game. If he did he made Taylor look serviceable. If he didn't he let someone else make Taylor look serviceable.

Turf
09-16-2016, 09:42 PM
He put in a running game that was desired to be successful and made best use of a faulty o-line. I'll say it again, blame the passing input for passing, Roman doesn't do passing game. If he did he made Taylor look serviceable. If he didn't he let someone else make Taylor look serviceable.

Well wtf kind of highest paid offensive coordinator is there that doesn't do the passing game? It's ludicrous. It's a passing league! That's like a RB coach that doesn't do sweeps.

ublinkwescore
09-17-2016, 12:08 AM

I did like the idea of Frank Reich... Until this post... Thanks.

ublinkwescore
09-17-2016, 12:15 AM

I wanted Hue Jackson HC/OC and Schwartz DC when we hired Sexy Rexy

:mad:

That was EXACTLY what I wanted too. This damn front office has been outsmarted by the results of what I have wanted for this team multiple times. Though I was on the Manuel bandwagon too... Because we desperately needed a franchise qb.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 05:32 AM
College Coaches:
Tom Herman - Houston
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M
Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

NFL Assistants:
Vic Fangio - Bears DC

Bold = yes. Underline = OK. Italics = Not just no, Hell no.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 05:38 AM
I suppose the only thing I hope for is that they'll get a coach who manages two quality coordinators, not a coach who insists on running his own specialty unit and becomes his own coordinator again.

Carroll in Seattle was successful with Quinn/Bevell. Harbaugh (though with passing game input, which is fine) with Fangio and Roman in SF. Belichick certainly has input, but you see McDaniels and Patricia actually coordinating, as did Crennell and Weis. John Harbaugh has Pees and Trestman in Baltimore, Tomlin has Haley and Butler (for a long time LeBeau) in Pittsburgh. They manage their coordinators, don't coordinate their own units. Running your own unit because no one else can is a flaw not a strength for a head coach who cannot find anyone to work well under him, because they're obsessed with their own unit and can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't want a head coach who cripples his coordinators by hiring his own lackeys instead of theirs though they need to be on the same page. Rex brought Lee, Lal, Sparano Jr., Lynn to Roman's table. The Jets were not known for their offense besides it never working right.

Most of all, I want a real football guy driving the search. Yes, a freaking czar. Not Brandon, not Pegulas, not Whaley who fell for the Ryan scam. The next time they recycle, they need to do it properly and overhaul the organizational structure.

What if you had a guy managing Schwartz as DC, Roman as OC, but gave Roman a quality QB coach for his passing game ? A guy who wasn't married to his systems but managed theirs in context, and concentrated on game preparation, sideline management, while supervising his supervisors.

Get a manager of managers. It's appropriate. Who is that guy ? If I knew I'd be a football czar. I know I'll know who it isn't though. The guy who has to coordinate his own units through lackeys.

Bingo.

swiper
09-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Frank Reich's tenure as coach has just been so-so. I know everybody loved him as a player, but I'm not sure I want him as a HC.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 04:03 PM
If Buffalo really does **** the bed bad enough to have a shot at the top pick in the draft, I would plan on going after Chad Kelly with the first rounder, and throw a boatload of money at Hugh Freeze...he can bring his entire staff with him.

Mace
09-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Well wtf kind of highest paid offensive coordinator is there that doesn't do the passing game? It's ludicrous. It's a passing league! That's like a RB coach that doesn't do sweeps.

Sure it is, but it's Ryan who has always been insistent on a running offense, Pegulas who paid him, and Whaley/Ryan who shored up his passing game with Lee/Lal/Sparano Jr.

I can only say he was successful at what he was meant to be successful at as intended.

Mr. Pink
09-17-2016, 08:25 PM
If Buffalo really does **** the bed bad enough to have a shot at the top pick in the draft, I would plan on going after Chad Kelly with the first rounder, and throw a boatload of money at Hugh Freeze...he can bring his entire staff with him.

Chad Kelly, at best, will be the third QB selected behind Watson and Kizer out of ND. Throw in Brad Kaaya and he's likely 4th.

We can be our usual middling selves and still get him.

Mace
09-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Chad Kelly, at best, will be the third QB selected behind Watson and Kizer out of ND. Throw in Brad Kaaya and he's likely 4th.

We won't.

BillsImpossible
09-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Bill Cowher!!!!

The Pegulas are good friends with Cowher....he wants back in.

At 59 years old, Bill Cowher is ripe to make a comeback in the NFL.

Mr. Pink
09-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Bill Cowher will never coach in the NFL again.

stuckincincy
09-17-2016, 08:45 PM

C-Lips got handed a SB ring. No thanks.

Oaf
09-17-2016, 09:43 PM
I'd go with Frank. The HC is more about leadership and integrity than scheming. Bring him and Schwartz from Philly here and let's get going.

stuckincincy
09-17-2016, 09:50 PM
I'd go with Frank. The HC is more about leadership and integrity than scheming. Bring him and Schwartz from Philly here and let's get going.

Not all, but an important part. You raised a good point that is necessary.

GreedoII
09-19-2016, 08:17 AM
College Coaches:
Tom Herman - Houston
Kevin Sumlin - Texas A&M
Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

NFL Assistants:
Vic Fangio - Bears DC

- - - Updated - - -

uh no..stop living in the past like half the Bills fans on here...

IlluminatusUIUC
09-19-2016, 11:15 AM

- - - Updated - - -

uh no..stop living in the past like half the Bills fans on here...

Uh, yeah, he's the DC of the #1 defense in the league last year and the reigning Super Bowl champion.

The Jokeman
09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
What about a retread guy like Todd Haley?

YardRat
09-19-2016, 06:27 PM

The guy at the top of the list in September usually doesn't stay there by April/May. Barring an injury or off-field incident, my money is on Kelly being the first QB off the board.

Mace
09-19-2016, 07:09 PM
On Frank Reich and his management potential as an HC who can rely on his coordinators (but could he find them ?), and the philosophy I'd rather see...

Reich said he and Pederson haven’t talked about the play-calling thing.

“He’s the head coach and he’s the offensive expert,’’ Reich said. “If he wants to calls the plays, I’ll do everything I can to help.

“If he wants me to call them, I’m ready. But the important thing is, Doug is a great leader. He wants everybody to work together, and he wants us all to contribute.

“When you have that, the details tend to work themselves out.’’

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/football/eagles/frank-reich-football-lifer-comes-to-the-eagles/article_16a9cf9c-c54f-11e5-9e80-e794b870e5d0.html

mdcas22
09-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Wade just isn't a head coach, he is a great d-cord esp the 3-4 extraordinaire. You must can't remember when Wade was head coach here before he hired his buddy at special team's coach and wouldn't fire him while we had the worst special team in the league. the only way I'd hire Wade as a head coach would be that someone else hire all the offensive coach's and special teams coach's, he can bring in all the defensive coach's he wan'ts.

paladin warrior
09-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Wade Phillps
Jim Schwartz
Bill Cowher
Donald Trump

stuckincincy
09-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Wade Phillps
Jim Schwartz
Bill Cowher
Donald Trump

James Carville! :chuk:

jimmifli
09-19-2016, 10:55 PM
I like Bevell, and would love to see Gym Shorts back on D. I could probably get behind him as a coach as well, he earned it last time would have been so much better than this train rex.

Jimkelly12203
09-20-2016, 10:01 AM
The job should have been Jim Schwartz's 2 years ago. Too late to go back?

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 11:28 AM
The job should have been Jim Schwartz's 2 years ago. Too late to go back?

Not for a HC job.

feldspar
09-20-2016, 11:30 AM
C'mon now with the Wade Phillips. The man will be 70-years-old before he'd coach one game in Buffalo. He's in the ideal situation in Denver to ride out the rest of the short career he has left.

Frank Reich has done nothing good even as coordinator yet.

Schwartz was never a good Head Coach, ask me.

Y'all should have learned your lesson about revisiting the past after Marv Levy became GM in that stretch.

I didn't hear any intriguing names mentioned so far. There's always the "let's get Cowher or Gruden" crowd who never seem to realize that we'd be just as likely be able to sign the Pope at QB.

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 11:32 AM
C'mon now with the Wade Phillips. The man will be 70-years-old before he'd coach one game in Buffalo. He's in the ideal situation in Denver to ride out the rest of the short career he has left.

Frank Reich has done nothing good even as coordinator yet.

Schwartz was never a good Head Coach, ask me.

Y'all should have learned your lesson about revisiting the past after Marv Levy became GM in that stretch.

I didn't hear any intriguing names mentioned so far. There's always the "let's get Cowher or Gruden" crowd who never seem to realize that we'd be just as likely be able to sign the Pope at QB.

If there are no 2nd chances for Schwartz like Marv and BB got, who do you suggest?

Bill Cody
09-20-2016, 11:43 AM
My pick would be Nick Saban. He's the best coach in college football, he has pro experience and he's always looking for a new challenge. Yeah he failed in Miami but he's smart and would do better the 2nd time if he can draft the right QB. Why would he come here? Make him the highest paid HC in the league and give him total control.

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 11:49 AM
My pick would be Nick Saban. He's the best coach in college football, he has pro experience and he's always looking for a new challenge. Yeah he failed in Miami but he's smart and would do better the 2nd time if he can draft the right QB. Why would he come here? Make him the highest paid HC in the league and give him total control.

He turned his back on Miami. He had total control. He kinda pulled Doug Marrone on them

DraftBoy
09-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Saban already makes in excess of $7 million a year at Alabama and is a god there. The highest paid NFL coach is Peyton and Carroll at $8 million. Why would he leave a perfect situation in Tuscaloosa to come to Buffalo for only a million dollar raise?

feldspar
09-20-2016, 11:58 AM
If there are no 2nd chances for Schwartz like Marv and BB got, who do you suggest?

Dunno, we are still in the midst of Ryan's 2nd chance.

Not like I've done any extensive research on this recently, but I can't think of any retreads that I would feel good about. Maybe we can hire somebody that got fired this year. ;)

No telling what a first-year Head coach will do...same goes for a college Head Coach transitioning to the NFL.

I have no suggestions off the top of my head.

But I don't feel that Rex being fired is a foregone conclusion just yet...if this continues to happen, he will be fired though (or should be).

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Saban already makes in excess of $7 million a year at Alabama and is a god there. The highest paid NFL coach is Peyton and Carroll at $8 million. Why would he leave a perfect situation in Tuscaloosa to come to Buffalo for only a million dollar raise?

Canadian ballet?

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Dunno, we are still in the midst of Ryan's 2nd chance.

Not like I've done any extensive research on this recently, but I can't think of any retreads that I would feel good about. Maybe we can hire somebody that got fired this year. ;)

No telling what a first-year Head coach will do...same goes for a college Head Coach transitioning to the NFL.

I have no suggestions off the top of my head.

Ryans 2nd chance is slowly turning into his last year at jets except we have a crappier D.

He not only ruined Schwartz's D , now its looking like he ruined Hacketts offense. :scratch:

DraftBoy
09-20-2016, 12:08 PM
Canadian ballet?

Sundress Season.

Bill Cody
09-20-2016, 12:53 PM

He was in a similar situation at LSU when he bolted for Miami no? He'd already won 2 titles and could have been coach for life there. Yet he left for the challenge of the NFL. The money itself doesn't matter really to a guy like Saban, he's already plenty rich. Money is just how he keeps score and he'd be paid more than his mentor Bellichick. But you're right he'd have to see this situation working, that's why having the midget under center is a problem, maybe insurmountable one. But do I think he might be persuadable to come back to the NFL for what he felt was the right situation? Hell yes. Why? Because he's already locked up his legacy in college but not so in the pros and the chance to make it on Sunday's is tempting for a guy like Saban who has an ego. Just my take.

DraftBoy
09-20-2016, 01:15 PM
He was in a similar situation at LSU when he bolted for Miami no? He'd already won 2 titles and could have been coach for life there. Yet he left for the challenge of the NFL. The money itself doesn't matter really to a guy like Saban, he's already plenty rich. Money is just how he keeps score and he'd be paid more than his mentor Bellichick. But you're right he'd have to see this situation working, that's why having the midget under center is a problem, maybe insurmountable one. But do I think he might be persuadable to come back to the NFL for what he felt was the right situation? Hell yes. Why? Because he's already locked up his legacy in college but not so in the pros and the chance to make it on Sunday's is tempting for a guy like Saban who has an ego. Just my take.

I think he came to the NFL saw that he can't coach the way he does in college and left for a reason. I just don't see him leaving Alabama for the NFL. I could be wrong and I'd take him in a second.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Well if we want to continue being an NCAA Division two program how about:

Mel Tjeerdsma
Jim Svoboda
Tim Beck
Barry Odom
Adam Dorrel

or we could do Willie Fritz.

I mean just think we could be a legitimate FBS team in a couple season with the right recruitment. I mean I am not sure if we could be a good NFL team or even a qualifier for a national championship but damn we would be bowl eligible in no time.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-20-2016, 01:33 PM
What about a retread guy like Todd Haley?

Hell to the no

Bill Cody
09-20-2016, 02:04 PM
I think he came to the NFL saw that he can't coach the way he does in college and left for a reason. I just don't see him leaving Alabama for the NFL. I could be wrong and I'd take him in a second.

Well it's true you don't get 15 1st round picks a year in the NFL like he does in AL. Having said that I see a lot of parallels with Saban and Bellichick. They're both bright. They both went a little overboard in their 1st NFL gigs and didn't do very well. They're both supremely confident guys but don't bluster. I think Saban will come to the NFL at some point, just probably not here, he has unfinished business in the league. But I would try like hell to convince him. You need somebody like that to really overhaul a culture of defeat that's been built here over a long time. My thinking is always aim high. That's the reason I was opposed to reupping Taylor, not good enough. The truth is unless we solve the QB issue we could dig up Alonzo Stagg Brown Vince Landry Walsh Bellichick and we ain't winning. But Saban would be a nice start.

justasportsfan
09-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Well it's true you don't get 15 1st round picks a year in the NFL like he does in AL. Having said that I see a lot of parallels with Saban and Bellichick. They're both bright. They both went a little overboard in their 1st NFL gigs and didn't do very well. They're both supremely confident guys but don't bluster. I think Saban will come to the NFL at some point, just probably not here, he has unfinished business in the league. But I would try like hell to convince him. You need somebody like that to really overhaul a culture of defeat that's been built here over a long time. My thinking is always aim high. That's the reason I was opposed to reupping Taylor, not good enough. The truth is unless we solve the QB issue we could dig up Alonzo Stagg Brown Vince Landry Walsh Bellichick and we ain't winning. But Saban would be a nice start.

I hear his yelling at players did not work with pro athletes who are prima donnas

Bill Cody
09-20-2016, 03:54 PM
I hear his yelling at players did not work with pro athletes who are prima donnas

boo hoo I like coaches that yell. Saban didn't have a QB in Miami. That was his problem in a nutshell. He still went 9-7 his 1st year with Gus Ferotte under center, that's pretty good.

swiper
09-20-2016, 07:32 PM
boo hoo I like coaches that yell. Saban didn't have a QB in Miami. That was his problem in a nutshell. He still went 9-7 his 1st year with Gus Ferotte under center, that's pretty good.

True that. And guess who had the same problem? Buffalo coaches Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Marrone and fatboy slim.

Bill Cody
09-22-2016, 10:50 PM
I'd add Josh McDaniels to the list. 3-0 this month with 2 very inexperienced QB's, really well coached. And send them a pick and bring Garapolo with him. McDaniels would be looking to out think the opposition, not hope for an "off day"

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-23-2016, 12:51 AM
I'd add Josh McDaniels to the list. 3-0 this month with 2 very inexperienced QB's, really well coached. And send them a pick and bring Garapolo with him. McDaniels would be looking to out think the opposition, not hope for an "off day"

eh... how did that work out for him in Denver

Bill Cody
09-23-2016, 10:58 AM
eh... how did that work out for him in Denver

eh...not too good. How'd it work out for Bellichick in Cleveland? There is a long list of coaches that didn't get it right the first time.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-23-2016, 12:07 PM
eh...not too good. How'd it work out for Bellichick in Cleveland? There is a long list of coaches that didn't get it right the first time.

Belichick has Cleveland's most recent playoff win and their only 11 win season since Elway was tearing out their hearts in the 1980s.

Bill Cody
09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Belichick has Cleveland's most recent playoff win and their only 11 win season since Elway was tearing out their hearts in the 1980s.

True. He also got fired and left with the fans and press calling for his head. Or do you think he didn't get better as a coach in NE? Because he clearly did and he says so himself. Period end of story. McDaniels got off on the wrong foot in Denver and the whole Tebow thing was a mess. Does that mean the guy can't coach? Ever? C'mon.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2016, 11:07 AM
True. He also got fired and left with the fans and press calling for his head. Or do you think he didn't get better as a coach in NE? Because he clearly did and he says so himself. Period end of story. McDaniels got off on the wrong foot in Denver and the whole Tebow thing was a mess. Does that mean the guy can't coach? Ever? C'mon.

He got fired because the team was moving and Modell was an idiot.

He was the same type of head coach in Cleveland as New England, yes he probably got better but nothing he did really changed. Outside of instead of releasing his starting QB, he traded him in the second go round as a HC.

Preparation was the same, not really giving the media info was the same, hiding injuries was the same, Ernie Accorsi behind the scenes was the same

YardRat
09-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Saban won't come back to the NFL, he gave it his shot and failed/hated it. I'm a freakin' Bama fan, and I wouldn't want to give him another poke at the big leagues and don't believe he'd take if called. Somebody like the afore-mentioned Hugh Freeze, Tom Herman or Kevin Sumlin though? Yes, please.

Bill Cody
09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
He got fired because the team was moving and Modell was an idiot.

He was the same type of head coach in Cleveland as New England, yes he probably got better but nothing he did really changed. Outside of instead of releasing his starting QB, he traded him in the second go round as a HC.

Preparation was the same, not really giving the media info was the same, hiding injuries was the same, Ernie Accorsi behind the scenes was the same

He modulated his approach in NE some. As I suspect McDaniels would. The 1st go around coaches want to prove to everyone how tough they are.