PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Bills Fire OC Roman

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Per his twitter.

sukie
09-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Thud..... Was anyone in the woods to hear it?

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Bills Senior Offensive Assistant Chris Palmer to take over as OC per CBS Sports

trapezeus
09-16-2016, 12:29 PM
they can't save this season with a different lower ranked guy to clal the offense.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Won't matter until they get a QB that can actually run the offense instead of relying on miracle bombs.

sukie
09-16-2016, 12:30 PM
they can't save this season with a different lower ranked guy to clal the offense.

There was no season to save in my eyes... only an 0-2 start makes my 6-10 more difficult to become reality

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Palmer's resume is not pretty by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Palmer_(American_football)

Albany,n.y.
09-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Anthony Lynn new OC per WGR

GingerP
09-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Schefter says Anthony Lynn is the new OC.

sukie
09-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Who is that?

swiper
09-16-2016, 12:35 PM

DraftBoy
CBS jumped the gun and got the OC call wrong. Lynn is the new OC.

trapezeus
I don't want to save the season, but I don't want this as a potential change to be an excuse to keep trying TT next year. i want them to be a 2-14 team at this point...for the long term health of the team.

Mr. Pink
And there's the fall guy...for now!

Hopefully this ends that stupid ass 2 wide shotgun run play that doesn't work.

DraftBoy
Who is that?

Asst HC/RB Coach.

He's actually gotten some talk about being a HC candidate eventually.

Forward_Lateral
09-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Who the Christ is Anthony Lynn

EDS
Cover Your A$$ time for Whaley and Rex by deflecting blame.

sukie
Running backs coach... Was he ever a running back?

jills
09-16-2016, 12:37 PM
When are we firing the other 3 buffoons?

swiper
09-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Schefter says Anthony Lynn is the new OC.

Lynn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn)

Coaching career[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anthony_Lynn&action=edit&section=2&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]Upon retiring in 2000, he joined the Denver coaching staff as an offensive assistant and special teams coach (2000–02), before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars) as the running backs coach (2003–04). He left Jacksonville after being switched to special teams coach following a coaching staff shakeup by head coach Jack Del Rio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Del_Rio) in 2005[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn#cite_note-1) and quickly joined the Dallas Cowboys staff as the running backs coach.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn#cite_note-2) On January 26, 2007, with the retirement of Bill Parcells (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Parcells) as Dallas head coach, Lynn signed on with the Cleveland Browns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) to fill their RB coach vacancy.[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn#cite_note-3)
Lynn was named the Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Assistant_Head_Coach/Running_Back&action=edit&redlink=1) coach for the New York Jets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets) on February 1, 2012 under head coach Rex Ryan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Ryan), and was subsequently interviewed for the Head Coach job in January, 2015 after Ryan left. When he did not get the position, he followed Rex Ryan to the Buffalo Bills (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills) where he has taken the same position.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn#cite_note-4)

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Running backs coach... Was he ever a running back?

http://www.nfl.com/player/anthonylynn/2501823/profile

HHURRICANE
09-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Roman called two **** games....he deserved the ax...

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:39 PM
MMQB piece on Lynn's training methods with Shady:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/14/nfl-lesean-mccoy-buffalo-anthony-lynn-bills-running-backs-the-mmqb

- - - Updated - - -

Lynn was interviewed this offseason for the 49ers OC job as well.

swiper
Lynn is another Rex Ryan yes-man.

feldspar
Wow.

I'm completely shocked by this. Completely, even after having watched the first two games. Sounds like Roman is their fall guy.

Why not fire Rob Ryan instead, for example? Don't bother answering that...

sukie
http://www.nfl.com/player/anthonylynn/2501823/profile

I guess those that can't become teachers applies. HAHA

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Lynn's Coaching Philosophy from Wiki:

Anthony Lynn understands work off the field is just as important as work off the field, which is why he is able to cultivate smart intuitive players.[5] Lynn is know for advocating the infamous "Ground and Pound" technique. He likes to run the ball on offense, and keep the defense rested so they can "pound" the opposing team.[6] He provides a strong running game and has exceptional run reads.[6] Offensively, his approach spirals off the idea that the running game should open up opportunities for the passing game.[7]

Lynn has notably exceptional relationships with his players and always wants to get the most out of them.[6] Although he may have very demanding expectations of his players, he works extremely well with them and sets clear objectives to ensure that both their personal and the team's goals are met.[6] In an interview with Jonathan Williams, a running back for the Buffalo Bills, Williams praised Lynn, "He's a great teacher. He's somebody who has actually played the game and his communication is really good. I'm excited to be able to work with him and learn from him."[8] There is a mutual respect Lynn has with his players that allows him to teach the game and encourage improvement in the way his athletes carry themselves as professional football players.[9]

There are certain qualities in a running back that Lynn looks for and encourages. He likes a direct runner that can read the block and get there quickly. Lynn stresses that success is more about mentality than drills. He produces players that can analyze the situation, be creative and make decisions immediately.[10] Some of the players Lynn has coached include Fred Taylor, Julius Jones, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Chris Ivory and LeSean McCoy. These running backs have eight 1,000 yard seasons working under coach Anthony Lynn.[11]

Anthony Lynn's 3 step coaching philosophy goes as follows: pursue perfection, maximize results, innovate and relate. He believes that teaching athletes to play with confidence and not confusion is what makes them excellent players. In order to maximize results you have to align people with their passions, that is how you get the best out of them. Finally, learning to communicate and figure out each individual players learning style is key. Lynn believes in the words of Wooden that it is all about the process, not about winning. Winning should be a byproduct of preparation, effort and practice. [12]

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
I guess those that can't become teachers applies. HAHA

He did get 2 Superbowl rings though thanks to those Broncos years! LOL

ct bills fan
09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
When are we firing the other 3 buffoons?

Roman deserved to be fired, his guys just gave up 6 billion yards passing to Fitzcontract. Oh wait.....that's the defense...fire the DC - nope that's Rex's brother....oh, okay fire Roman then. Can't make this ***** up. Fire them all, hire Schwartz as HC and start over. You know they're looking at other HC candidates right now, and, I image GM's

BuffRanger
09-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Has Russ Brandon written all over it. Nothing that corporate kiss ass knows better than selling magic beans to the fans. Wait for it, the TO signing will be coming soon too.

cookie G
A desperate move by the incompetent buffoon.

DraftBoy
Roman deserved to be fired, his guys just gave up 6 billion yards passing to Fitzcontract. Oh wait.....that's the defense...fire the DC - nope that's Rex's brother....oh, okay fire Roman then. Can't make this ***** up. Fire them all, hire Schwartz as HC and start over. You know they're looking at other HC candidates right now, and, I image GM's

Technically speaking the DC is Dennis Thurman, not Rob Ryan.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Technically speaking the DC is Dennis Thurman, not Rob Ryan.

Wouldn't that be great! He could fire Thurman and promote Rob!

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't that be great! He could fire Thurman and promote Rob!

Wait for it after Week 4.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 12:44 PM
I love this, lets blame the guy who put up 24 off points on the jets Def. Totally his fault he could not game plan to stop the jets WRs or their off. Keep this in the back of your mind the one time the jets punted was because Marshall dropped a wide open pass. Rex cannot even deflect blame correctly, my lord why did they hire this guy. Pegs do what you did with the sabres and lets clean this house NOW. Best part of this is Rex is feeling the heat and maybe he will get fired on Tuesday after Seattle literally A$$ rapes us.

USC_Gamecock
09-16-2016, 12:47 PM
The Ryan baffoons and Whaley are still there, lol!

Oh yeah, and anyone that was watching the game last night could be Rob Ryan was calling the defense. That defense had New Orleans and Dallas written all over it. Plus, he was the one calling the plays on the sidelines.

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Ian Rapoport just tweeted that as for Bills coach Rex Ryan this is considered his team and he has the full support of ownership.

feldspar
09-16-2016, 12:48 PM
I actually think that Roman was one of our better coaches. I'm a bigger fan of his than most, I guess. I like him.

I'm taken aback by this, especially since the Bills actually interviewed him for the Head Coaching job.

psubills62
09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
I guess Ryan can't really fire himself, so next best thing?

Really had thought Roman's offense would complement Ryan's defense well. Oh well.

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
I didn't know this, or forgot, but Greg Roman was the league's highest paid OC.

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 12:51 PM
I like Roman a lot. I get it Rex fired him because he actually scored points and made the def look worse than it really was. As a result, Rex says I need the offense to look bad to make me look better.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:52 PM
I didn't know this, or forgot, but Greg Roman was the league's highest paid OC.

I'm still wondering why he left his offense in San Francisco.

Although he had a more power type of back in Gore there, so that's maybe how his running game worked better than here. But he was pretty good with that offense and here, he wasn't much better than Turk Schonert. It's baffling.

sdbillsfan2
09-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Fan feedback as a result of last nights fiasco led to action. In an effort to appease ..they hung it all on Roman. I'm okay with him leaving but the cuts weren't deep enough. .Notice..none of Rex's Jets croonies got their walking papers. The fault line runs deep and this move solves nothing. It's mostly for show and protecting some extra large asses.

sukie
09-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Although he had a more power type of back in Gore there, so that's maybe how his running game worked better than here. But he was pretty good with that offense and here, he wasn't much better than Turk Schonert. It's baffling.

QB ability?

Typ0
09-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Team is imploding ... only a matter of time until the Ryans are gone...

Mr. Pink
09-16-2016, 12:55 PM
QB ability?

Kaep is just as much of a sandlot QB as Taylor.

When they hired Roman and made Taylor QB I honestly thought it was a perfect fit.

sukie
09-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Kaep is just as much of a sandlot QB as Taylor.

When they hired Roman and made Taylor QB I honestly thought it was a perfect fit.

didn't Kaep become sandlot after roman left?

CommissarSpartacus
09-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Greg Roman was supposed to be the MAN! Everybody said so!

casdhf
09-16-2016, 12:58 PM
I like Roman a lot. I get it Rex fired him because he actually scored points and made the def look worse than it really was. As a result, Rex says I need the offense to look bad to make me look better. You do know that a bomb, a busted coverage, and a fumble return accounted for 21 of those points right? The offense was inept.

trapezeus
09-16-2016, 01:01 PM
the move is to try and get some fannies in the seats for the next two weeks against very good teams. the stadium was empty by middle of 4th quarter. and like i said elsewhere, fans arent' angry, they just don't seem to care. at somepoint someone has to realize that winning is the best marketing gimmick you can try and all the other reggie bush signings, TO, retiring every 90's bill won't move tickets.

sukie
09-16-2016, 01:02 PM
the move is to try and get some fannies in the seats for the next two weeks against very good teams. the stadium was empty by middle of 4th quarter. and like i said elsewhere, fans arent' angry, they just don't seem to care. at somepoint someone has to realize that winning is the best marketing gimmick you can try and all the other reggie bush signings, TO, retiring every 90's bill won't move tickets.

It will take 2 weeks to get new offensive playbooks printed with a pretty cover and a red spiral binding...

trapezeus
09-16-2016, 01:05 PM
it should print a little faster without roman. they can get rid of the EJ manual plays section of the playbook.

Albany,n.y.
09-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Asst HC/RB Coach.

He's actually gotten some talk about being a HC candidate eventually.
He might be a HC after the bye.

feldspar
09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
This just smacks of desperation. That is all. Makes no sense to do this, as if it'll fix everything. How is this an improvement? Guess we'll see.

Looks like the Bills fired the wrong Roman, maybe.

http://gusto.wp.buffalonews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/08/Screen-Shot-2016-08-05-at-7.26.35-PM.png

Novacane
09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Nice try rex. We know what the real problem is.

cookie G
09-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Nice try rex. We know what the real problem is.

John Idzik?

DesertFox24
09-16-2016, 01:18 PM
You do know that a bomb, a busted coverage, and a fumble return accounted for 21 of those points right? The offense was inept.

I am aware yes, but you do know the jets did not punt. I refuse to count that Marshall drop as a punt.

Buffalogic
09-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice waste of two years. What a mistake it was hiring this guy. If we just promoted Schwartz we would be doing alright, but noooooo. Schwartz got a super raw deal.

Jaybird
09-16-2016, 01:23 PM
this is a great thing. it shows the lack of patience the organization will have. If this doesn't turn around, and it wont, Rex will be out as well. The lack of ability to make in-game adjustments is really something special. Im sure we will continue to focus on the run, and not stopping the pass.

Jan Reimers
09-16-2016, 01:26 PM
As usual, we fired the wrong guy. Should have been Ryan(s).

colin
09-16-2016, 01:30 PM
I agree roman is a scapegoat, but he does deserve to get canned. The quality control issues are all on him. We need some fast rhythm plays

Novacane
09-16-2016, 01:32 PM
I can't wait to hear Rexs explanation. I hope some asks about his pathetic defense.

Mahdi
09-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I heard Anthony Lynn's name thrown around a lot as a big time HC candidate throughout the league.

What does he have to offer as an OC though? We need a guy with a thorough knowledge of a passing game not a RB coach.

Maybe he can do for us what what Jim Bob Cooter did for Detroit.

Mace
09-16-2016, 01:36 PM

Roman doesn't do passing game, Harbaugh did, so the other part of his offense here was who ran the passing game. !st ranked rushing offense last year meant he did his job perfectly fine.

Lynn has no playcalling experience, so who's calling the offensive plays ? ojt ? Wildcat Lee maybe ?

McCoy will not be reinvigorated, the O-line will be the same o-line, and Ryan's tendency of scapegoating his OC's from back to the Jets continues.

You can be upset with Roman, but you're going to miss him plenty soon.

ICRockets
09-16-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm comfortable with this being a busted season. If we come into next year with Shaq and Reggie returning and a full draft of offensive linemen and a WR or 2 I like our chances with a competent coaching staff.

Crisis
09-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Scapegoat firing, but watching this team struggle to get plays on time constantly is embarrassing. I was excited about the hire, but I'm glad he's gone now.

Lucidvizion
09-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Well, at least we're one step closer to getting rid of Rex. He'll run out of fall guys eventually.

TacklingDummy
09-16-2016, 02:03 PM
I guess you have to blame someone for Tyrod missing wide open receivers.

TacklingDummy
09-16-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm comfortable with this being a busted season. If we come into next year with Shaq and Reggie returning and a full draft of offensive linemen and a WR or 2 I like our chances with a competent coaching staff.

Won't matter without a Quarterback.

paladin warrior
09-16-2016, 02:56 PM
:bf1: Yeah!!!! :bravo::cheers:.. Now Greg Roman go back to middle school to be OC again

CommissarSpartacus
09-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Sorry, but this is on Rex. I never liked Roman much but firing a main guy two games in is the worst type of managerial incompetence.

Rex is a buffoon's buffoon.

don137
09-16-2016, 03:02 PM
I don't care who the offensive coordinator is for the Bills as long as Taylor is the QB this team will fail. There were plenty of open receivers but Taylor couldn't find them or he couldn't get them the ball. He has terrible vision. If he saw and hit those receivers he Roman would have a job today

G
09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
tt has taken a major step back. not sure an oc reshuffling can salvage this thing. no doubt the firing is a pr move to give bloodthirsty bills fans the impression obd is serious about correcting course. meaningless gesture until rex and rob are fired imo.

sukie
09-16-2016, 03:09 PM
tt has taken a major step back. not sure an oc reshuffling can salvage this thing. no doubt the firing is a pr move to give bloodthirsty bills fans the impression obd is serious about correcting course. meaningless gesture until rex and rob are fired imo.

I don't think Tyrod stepped back as much as his glaring weaknesses are more highly documented now.

ckg927
09-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Wait for it after Week 4.

That is, if Rex himself doesn't get ashcanned...

cookie G
09-16-2016, 03:28 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rex-ryan-bills-use-greg-roman-as-sacrificial-lamb-to-appease-the-fans/1fpf513y2je6z1en0lh0lydq5m?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sporting News has learned that Buffalo’s front office leaned on head coach Rex Ryan to make a significant change in hopes of appeasing a disgruntled fan base. Thus, Roman was on the outs Friday following a 37-31 home loss to the New York Jets.

Well, Rex doesn't answer to Whaley..so it came from either Pegs or Don't Let Him Leave the Building.

G
09-16-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't think Tyrod stepped back as much as his glaring weaknesses are more highly documented now.

true he piled up a lot of stats in garbage time last season which probably inflated his value. kinda like that meaningless td in the closing minutes of last night’s blowout. he’s a flawed qb. that’s no secret. but these first two games have been rock bottom for old tt.

G
09-16-2016, 03:36 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rex-ryan-bills-use-greg-roman-as-sacrificial-lamb-to-appease-the-fans/1fpf513y2je6z1en0lh0lydq5m?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sporting News has learned that Buffalo’s front office leaned on head coach Rex Ryan to make a significant change in hopes of appeasing a disgruntled fan base. Thus, Roman was on the outs Friday following a 37-31 home loss to the New York Jets.

Well, Rex doesn't answer to Whaley..so it came from either Pegs or Don't Let Him Leave the Building.

kinda what i suspected. so tired of cosmetic changes done strictly for pr value. sure sounds an awful lot like a certain marketing guy is responsible for this. shocking huh.

justasportsfan
09-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Last year Donnie Henderson was the scapegoat. Now it's Roman,

It's all Romans and Henderson fault Fitz torched the D.

Yeah. Welcome to the Rex circus. He ruined the jets, he's doing it here

Historian
09-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Except that Shaq and Reggie won't fit the new coach's scheme, so they will get sent elsewhere for a couple low round picks, where they will earn Super Bowl rings, while we rebuild with a new scheme.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

CommissarSpartacus
09-16-2016, 03:42 PM

It's the fans' fault!

coastal
09-16-2016, 03:51 PM

This stinks of Brandon.

justasportsfan
09-16-2016, 03:54 PM
I guess you have to blame someone for Tyrod missing wide open receivers.

It's the OC's job to teach the qb how to read defenses and find mismatches and hit the open reciever. Not David Lee the qb coach. His job is to teach the qb how to to be a running back and run his famous wildcat which worked for 1 play yesterday. DUH!

/sarcasm

cookie G
09-16-2016, 04:26 PM
This stinks of Brandon.

Russ doesn't get involved in football decisions

- - - Updated - - -

It's the fans' fault!

It usually is..we aren't loyal enough.

Bunch of whining babies.

YardRat
09-16-2016, 04:31 PM
:lmao:

Everybody knows when your defense gives up 500 yards, 37 points, doesn't force a punt until the second half on national television in the home opener and you start 0-2 the obvious move is to fire the offensive coordinator. Duh.

What a sack of useless ****ing tools.

Ingtar33
09-16-2016, 04:42 PM

Everybody knows when your defense gives up 500 yards, 37 points, doesn't force a punt until the second half on national television in the home opener and you start 0-2 the obvious move is to fire the offensive coordinator. Duh.

THANK YOU

I have my own issues with roman, but he's not why we aren't making the playoffs. Its the defense that gave up 500 yards of offense and 37 points to the jets that has that responsibility.

EDS
09-16-2016, 04:51 PM

So the Bills front office thinks the fans are idiots (e.g., they think this shell game would appease anyone)?

G
09-16-2016, 04:53 PM

russ brandon told the bills to fire greg roman and may have well have said. ‘that ought to hold over all the stupid son of a ***** bills fans. we’ll pretend to be serious about holding this franchise accountable just enough so that all the dumb rubes will go back to buying tickets and bills merch.’ this is so obviously a marketing and public relations decision. this move is even more frustrating than if they had done nothing because it’s so obviously a ploy and a distraction.

Ingtar33
09-16-2016, 05:06 PM
you know this franchise is a mess when Teddy ****** Bruschi and Mike Rodak agree with you and are lampooning this firing as the "wrong" coach going out the door.

this is a joke.

sudzy
09-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Will they fit the new coach's system? We go out and draft players that fit a system, then fire that coach in three years, then bring in another coach with a system that is 180 degrees for the last coach.

swiper
09-16-2016, 05:31 PM
I actually think that Roman was one of our better coaches. I'm a bigger fan of his than most, I guess. I like him.

I'm taken aback by this, especially since the Bills actually interviewed him for the Head Coaching job.

Yeah. Anybody surprised by his firing after his use of EJ Manuel last night is just clueless. You pass the test.

Mace
09-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Yeah. Anybody surprised by his firing after his use of EJ Manuel last night is just clueless. You pass the test.

I think you're going to see the same stuff going forward, just less successfully.

Novacane
09-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Lol. Bills are the joke of the NFL

Oh yeah....a big fat fruck you to whoever(Brandon) thinks this will appease the fans.

Typ0
09-16-2016, 06:18 PM
I liked that EJ got on the field before he was forced to go in though. Thought it was a great choice ...

cookie G
09-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Sorry, but this is on Rex. I never liked Roman much but firing a main guy two games in is the worst type of managerial incompetence.

Rex is a buffoon's buffoon.

All I'll say is that his offense last year scored more points of any Bills team since 2004, and it tied with the 2002 team for the 2nd most points in the past 16 years.

And I really doubt it was the Pegula's who wanted him fired.

Rex is pretty sleazy.

Mace
09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
All I'll say is that his offense last year scored more points of any Bills team since 2004, and it tied with the 2002 team for the 2nd most points in the past 16 years.

Rex is pretty sleazy.

Roman has a flaw though. He doesn't do passing game while wearing the headset of authority (which centers the bullseye on him). He's running game oriented. That might be a flaw too in the modern game. I say might, because I have a feeling it may be evolving back to it with weaker pro QB talent coming out of college less prepared.

They could have managed this better though by not bringing over cronies like Lee & Lal. In that it's on Ryan. They gave Roman an iffy o-line, an aging prima donna rb at high expense who is unsuited for a power running game, tried to load up on passing weapons without a qb to use them because they concentrated on one to shore up their running game philosophy. That's on Ryan, Whaley, and even Brandon for his dubious input which he doesn't of course have.

I feel bad for Roman though I see his flaws (I mean Ryan lusted for a successful running game back through his time with the Jets and Roman gave him one). We aren't going to get near 1st in rushing again, same as how we won't get near 4th in defense again for a while.

That's all on Ryan, Whaley, Brandon and Pegulas.

At this point I can understand people being upset with anyone except Overdorf who has been walking the cap tightrope with what he has admirably.

naugem
09-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Roman is a scapegoat, but it's not like he was doing a good job. At least it happened early in the season and I doubt Rex will be able to throw someone else under the bus before he's fired too.

Turf
09-16-2016, 07:47 PM
The only reason we were first in rushing was due to Tyrod's legs. It infuriates me how everyone throws this stat around, led the league in rushing. Without the scrambling QB, we couldn't run the ball when we needed to.

swiper
09-17-2016, 06:20 AM
The only reason we were first in rushing was due to Tyrod's legs. It infuriates me how everyone throws this stat around, led the league in rushing. Without the scrambling QB, we couldn't run the ball when we needed to.

And the league adapted to that. The Jets kept a spy on him all game.

sudzy
09-17-2016, 06:28 AM
And the league adapted to that. The Jets kept a spy on him all game.

A lot of mobile QBs has success their 1st year. Then teams have film on them and seem to figure out how to shut them down. That seems to be what has happened here.

Turf
09-17-2016, 07:43 AM
I find it amusing how other teams can spare an extra man to shadow our QB, force him out of the pocket, and cover every receiver downfield. Meanwhile our defense can do none of the above.

cookie G
09-17-2016, 02:42 PM
Roman has a flaw though. He doesn't do passing game while wearing the headset of authority (which centers the bullseye on him). He's running game oriented. That might be a flaw too in the modern game. I say might, because I have a feeling it may be evolving back to it with weaker pro QB talent coming out of college less prepared.

They could have managed this better though by not bringing over cronies like Lee & Lal. In that it's on Ryan. They gave Roman an iffy o-line, an aging prima donna rb at high expense who is unsuited for a power running game, tried to load up on passing weapons without a qb to use them because they concentrated on one to shore up their running game philosophy. That's on Ryan, Whaley, and even Brandon for his dubious input which he doesn't of course have.

I feel bad for Roman though I see his flaws (I mean Ryan lusted for a successful running game back through his time with the Jets and Roman gave him one). We aren't going to get near 1st in rushing again, same as how we won't get near 4th in defense again for a while.

That's all on Ryan, Whaley, Brandon and Pegulas.

At this point I can understand people being upset with anyone except Overdorf who has been walking the cap tightrope with what he has admirably.

Or 12th in scoring, like they were last year.
or 8th in yards per play, like they were last year.

There isn't any need to analyze it, it didn't make this team any better.

Just a pathetic blame shifting, scapegoating, last ditch attempt by a coach who's not merely a buffoon, but a pretty sleazy one.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 02:49 PM

Rex is pretty sleazy.

I would bet a shiny new quarter Whaley is the next one in his sights.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 02:50 PM
I find it amusing how other teams can spare an extra man to shadow our QB, force him out of the pocket, and cover every receiver downfield. Meanwhile our defense can do none of the above.

If there wasn't film showing WR's open all over the place but being ignored by the QB, this might have some validity.

Turf
09-17-2016, 02:55 PM
If there wasn't film showing WR's open all over the place but being ignored by the QB, this might have some validity.

Have we seen that with the second game.

cookie G
09-17-2016, 02:59 PM
I would bet a shiny new quarter Whaley is the next one in his sights.

And I wouldn't take that bet..even for a quarter.

I'm sure he's been in Rex's gun sights for a bit.

BertSquirtgum
09-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Considering EJ is better than Tyrod no one should be surprised.