PDA

View Full Version : TBN Carucci : Ryan, Pegulas, Roman

Mace
09-16-2016, 07:39 PM
If true, Pegulas still buying what Rex is selling, sadly, and Roman is a wise man who will sleep well tonight, and Rex is struggling to find more chips to push into the middle of the table.

"What this move says to me is that Rex is pushing everything into the middle of the table," a team source told The Buffalo News.

When, according to a team source, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula expressed concerns over the performance of the offense last year -- despite the fact it led the NFL in rushing -- and this season during a meeting Friday morning, Ryan had the opening to part ways with a top assistant who didn't share the loyalty with him that others did.

Roman was known not to have been the biggest Ryan fan, privately telling at least one person after last season that he thought Ryan was a "buffoon" and that being affiliated with him wasn't going to be good for his career. Also, after only a year in Buffalo, Roman was known to have been looking to coach elsewhere after the season, when the Bills led the NFL in rushing, even if that opportunity wasn't a head-coaching job. He was confident Ryan wasn't going to stand in his way.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/16/ryan-pushes-everything-middle-table-firing-roman/

(http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/16/ryan-pushes-everything-middle-table-firing-roman/)

Turf
09-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Roman sucks. Glad to see him go. It doesn't mean Rex doesn't suck also. And Rex is a buffoon.

Mace
09-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Roman sucks. Glad to see him go. It doesn't mean Rex doesn't suck also. And Rex is a buffoon.

Dunno what anyone much would do with that o-line, Taylor and a bunch of ex Jets coaches on offense, gimped pricey Watkins, aging McCoy, achy Clay, booted Karlos and Reggie Bush.

I can see being aggravated with Roman to some extent, but the defense is still the biggest problem though the offense has plenty. This is the team Whaley built, the Pegulas sanctioned and Rex leads. It's not a good team.

Turf
09-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Dunno what anyone much would do with that o-line, Taylor and a bunch of ex Jets coaches on offense, gimped pricey Watkins, aging McCoy, achy Clay, booted Karlos and Reggie Bush.

I can see being aggravated with Roman to some extent, but the defense is still the biggest problem though the offense has plenty. This is the team Whaley built, the Pegulas sanctioned and Rex leads. It's not a good team.

Not a good team agreed. But poorly coached and poorly pieced together without any real thought.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-16-2016, 10:57 PM

Both sides of the ball are horrendously mismanaging resources.

ublinkwescore
09-17-2016, 12:01 AM
This team has talent, but it could use more on the o line. Still, the amount of talent it does possess, it should have been able to keep the jets from 37 points and should have been able to put more than 7 points up against Baltimore. This falls on the coaching staff. Plain and simple. And I still think that Bumbling Rex fired the wrong coordinator... Dennis Thurman has more talent on his side of the ball even with Dareus and Mario Williams gone/out. He has zero excuses yet is still here. This team is such a damn enigma. I'm still hoping for a 1-15 season.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2016, 04:10 AM
I think it's fair that the Pegulas were *****ing about third down conversions and it didn't get fixed along with the ridiculous time management. Rex looked visibly pissed all night on the clock BS.

The Jets game came down to a pass on third down in the 4th quarter.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Roman was one of the only coaches left that didn't come with Jet-Stank/Wrecks Wryan baggage. The purge is almost complete. After this season, we'll see where Pegs head is really at because either Whaley or the Clown Posse won't be here.

swiper
09-17-2016, 05:13 AM
Dunno what anyone much would do with that o-line

Which also makes the GM a buffoon.

YardRat
09-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Huge mistake allowing Wrecks report to the owners, and not through the appropriate chain of command.

swiper
09-17-2016, 05:19 AM
I think it's fair that the Pegulas were *****ing about third down conversions and it didn't get fixed along with the ridiculous time management. Rex looked visibly pissed all night on the clock BS.

The Jets game came down to a pass on third down in the 4th quarter.

Rex's downfall was his in-game management: clock management, use of timeouts/challenges, and play-calling choices with the NY Jets with Anthony Lynn as his OC. It got him fired there. It improved a bit with Roman, although Roman's play-calls were also questionable. Roman seemed more like Mike Mularkey (with the quirky play calls) than Mularkey was when he was here. In any case, don't expect much to change with the in-game management.

- - - Updated - - -

Huge mistake allowing Wrecks report to the owners, and not through the appropriate chain of command.

You can bet that Whaley and Brandon sit in those meetings.

sudzy
09-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Which also makes the GM a buffoon.

Two first round picks on a WR that is made of glass and spending a 1st round pick on player that everyone in the NFL, except you, seems to know is injured? Yeah, I've got to believe that classifies as buffoon.

coastal
09-17-2016, 06:50 AM
so this was the easy move to make... See fans... we're doing something. We're about winning!

make him fire his brother.

Entirely different organizational message.

one move is made by a ticket salesmen... One by anyone not named Russ Brandon.

swiper
09-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Until this sheetshow is righted the biggest buffoon is Terry Pegula.

That Russ Brandon has refined the art of pandering to the drunk fans that buy season tickets might look good on his resume. But it doesn't do any good to the team. The fans in the parking lots still seem to be too drunk to notice. Just don't take away their right to tailgate. To hell with wins or losses. Brandon giving us Terrell Owens and such will just go on and on and on as long as the owner allows it to. It's not helping his pocket book. The sooner he realizes that, the soooner he will cut ties with Brandon.

Bills are least valuable franchise in NFL, according to Forbes (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/15/bills-least-valuable-franchise-nfl-according-forbes/)

Novacane
09-17-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm fine with Roman being fired. His offense was boring. His play calling was obvious. If we know what play is coming you know the defense does too.

My issue with this whole thing is Roman took a bad offense and didn't improve it. Ryan took a good defense and destroyed it. Do the Pagula's not see that?

Ginger Vitis
09-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Roman was the highest paid OC in the NFL and he couldn't wait to get away from Rex and the stink of being associated with Rex

feldspar
09-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Roman was the highest paid OC in the NFL and he couldn't wait to get away from Rex and the stink of being associated with Rex

They still gotta pay him. Coaches salary is guaranteed, I says.

Also, Anthony Lynn will be the 11th offensive coordinator the Bills have had in the past 16 years. I'm no expert, but I figure that's too many.

Turf
09-17-2016, 08:49 AM
How is it the highest paid OC in the league does not get involved in the passing game?

Historian
09-17-2016, 08:56 AM
If Roman thought Rex was a buffoon, (which anyone who sees him on a sideline knows) why did he take the job in the first place?

feldspar
09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
If Roman thought Rex was a buffoon, (which anyone who sees him on a sideline knows) why did he take the job in the first place?

Maybe he didn't think so at the time of the hire.

Novacane
09-17-2016, 09:11 AM

Because he thought for 2 million dollars a year he could put up with a baffoon.

swiper
09-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Stop making baseless assumptions. Otherwise post proof.

Ginger Vitis
09-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Stop making baseless assumptions. Otherwise post proof.

read the first post in this thread ya dumbass

swiper
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
read the first post in this thread ya dumbass

That's hearsay dumbass.

feldspar
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Funny how you don't know which reports to believe. Rex says that it was 100% his choice to let Roman go, but this story was reported just this past December:

"Bills general manager Doug Whaley, who was nearly let go a year ago, is at odds with the coaching staff over several key issues, and a showdown between him and Rex Ryan's assistants is likely looming this offseason. League sources said Whaley has been unhappy with the ability of the staff to feature top receiver Sammy Watkins and has made that clear to other members of the organization. He would also prefer the team move on from offensive coordinator Greg Roman and others, though it is highly unlikely owner Terry Pegula would support such measures."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/showdown-between-bills-gm-whaley-and-coaching-staff-could-be-brewing/

swiper
09-17-2016, 09:41 AM
The fact of the matter is that Lynn was running the offense for the Jets when it was at it's worst. (He was not running it when they made the AFC finals). So don't expect too much here.

Historian
09-17-2016, 09:57 AM
I can tell you how he justified it to management:

Time of possession: Jets 65.3% to 34.7%

Lets be honest, the Bills two first half TDs were flukes. Great plays, but not as a result of any sustained drives.

Rex probably told his superiors, "My vaunted defense couldn't get off the field. They were too tired at the end, so they couldn't hold them in the 4th."

So Roman is the scapegoat. (not that his offense was anything to write home about)

My question is, who's he going to blame after the Patriots loss...Katheryn Smith?

At some point, they're going to be down to he and his dimwitted brother.

Novacane
09-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Was the defense tired when they couldn't get off the field for eight minutes to start the game?

feldspar
09-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Was the defense tired when they couldn't get off the field for eight minutes to start the game?

To be fair, that drive was extended on a horrible call against Gilmore.

Still a horrible defensive game, granted. No doubt about that.

GingerP
09-17-2016, 11:47 AM
The fact of the matter is that Lynn was running the offense for the Jets when it was at it's worst. (He was not running it when they made the AFC finals). So don't expect too much here.

Lynn never was "running the offense" in NY. He was the running backs coach. This is his first OC job.

stuckincincy
09-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Lynn never was "running the offense" in NY. He was the running backs coach. This is his first OC job.

His history doesn't inspire:

..."Coaching Philosophy:

Lynn is known for advocating the infamous "Ground and Pound" technique. He likes to run the ball on offense, and keep the defense rested so they can "pound" the opposing team.[5] He provides a strong running game and has exceptional run reads.[5] Offensively, his approach spirals off the idea that the running game should open up opportunities for the passing game.[6]

Some of the players Lynn has coached include Fred Taylor, Julius Jones, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Chris Ivory and LeSean McCoy."...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lynn

At this point, a low-cost promotion of convenience.

Mace
09-17-2016, 04:48 PM
They still gotta pay him. Coaches salary is guaranteed, I says.

Also, Anthony Lynn will be the 11th offensive coordinator the Bills have had in the past 16 years. I'm no expert, but I figure that's too many.

Absolutely. Read somewhere Ryan is on his 5th OC in 6 years also.

Edit : Lil Schottenheimer, Sparano, Morninwheg, Roman, Lynn....