PDA

View Full Version : RE: Lynn and the problem of being an in season coach replacement

Ingtar33
09-18-2016, 12:27 AM
I've been thinking, ever since Lynn was chosen to replace Roman, of what I would do if I were in Lynn's place. Lynn is in a very unfavorable position. He has 10 days to implement an offense, and then have the team come out and execute it well enough to save the season (and his job). Really, he's been given a poison pill. He couldn't say no to the job, but at the same point he'll not keep the job if everything goes south.

Lynn really has 2 options on the table.
1) which is the safe path; keep roman's playbook, verbiage, chose the plays he likes, talk with Tyrod and get a feel for what Tyrod likes, then pair it down to a basic offense which the team can master in 10 days.
2) blow everything up, pull out the playbook you always wanted to use, sit down with tyrod, and find 40 plays he's comfortable with or you think will work with his talents, and spend the next 10 days forcing the team to learn the new playbook and language, and hope for the best

personally if I were in lynn's shoes i'd probably take no.2. If I was going to stake my future OC coaching career on the next 14 games I'd want to go out with what I believe in and think works. That said it's also the HARDEST path to walk, one which could really fall apart fast.

If it were me, I think I would focus on a lot of moving pocket/play action roll outs. I think I'd eliminate every play in the playbook that has tyrod staying in the pocket. Love him or hate him he's hands down the best QB on our roster right now. I'd use it to the fullest with a mix of naked bootlegs, stretch and toss sweeps and play action. I'd probably move tyrod under center (this is a personal preference, i think it helps make play action work better, if the defensive ends don't have a clear view of the QB); I would do everything in my power to scheme sammy watkins into being my first, second and third option on every pass play, and work the long ball in as much as possible. I'd also take the reigns off tyrod, tell him he'd be free to run whenever he wants; and let him know that I'd take the heat with the coach for INTs. Watching tyrod play you can tell Roman and Ryan got into his head about turnovers, because he doesn't loosen up until he has to comeback from a number of points. Its easy to play loose when it doesn't really matter anymore. I'd like him to play loose from the first snap.

Now of course all of this is easy to say. But i've been working in coaching long enough to know how to make something like all of this works. Speaking strictly as a fan, I just hope Lynn takes the bull by the horns and uses this as a chance to succeed and doesn't just try not to fail; or our season will well and truly be over; because if there is one thing we've seen, it's that the defense is mediocre to bad, and we'll need all the offense we can generate.

stuckincincy
09-18-2016, 12:48 AM
I've been thinking, ever since Lynn was chosen to replace Roman, of what I would do if I were in Lynn's place. Lynn is in a very unfavorable position. He has 10 days to implement an offense, and then have the team come out and execute it well enough to save the season (and his job). Really, he's been given a poison pill. He couldn't say no to the job, but at the same point he'll not keep the job if everything goes south.

Lynn really has 2 options on the table.
1) which is the safe path; keep roman's playbook, verbiage, chose the plays he likes, talk with Tyrod and get a feel for what Tyrod likes, then pair it down to a basic offense which the team can master in 10 days.
2) blow everything up, pull out the playbook you always wanted to use, sit down with tyrod, and find 40 plays he's comfortable with or you think will work with his talents, and spend the next 10 days forcing the team to learn the new playbook and language, and hope for the best

personally if I were in lynn's shoes i'd probably take no.2. If I was going to stake my future OC coaching career on the next 14 games I'd want to go out with what I believe in and think works. That said it's also the HARDEST path to walk, one which could really fall apart fast.

If it were me, I think I would focus on a lot of moving pocket/play action roll outs. I think I'd eliminate every play in the playbook that has tyrod staying in the pocket. Love him or hate him he's hands down the best QB on our roster right now. I'd use it to the fullest with a mix of naked bootlegs, stretch and toss sweeps and play action. I'd probably move tyrod under center (this is a personal preference, i think it helps make play action work better, if the defensive ends don't have a clear view of the QB); I would do everything in my power to scheme sammy watkins into being my first, second and third option on every pass play, and work the long ball in as much as possible. I'd also take the reigns off tyrod, tell him he'd be free to run whenever he wants; and let him know that I'd take the heat with the coach for INTs. Watching tyrod play you can tell Roman and Ryan got into his head about turnovers, because he doesn't loosen up until he has to comeback from a number of points. Its easy to play loose when it doesn't really matter anymore. I'd like him to play loose from the first snap.

Now of course all of this is easy to say. But i've been working in coaching long enough to know how to make something like all of this works. Speaking strictly as a fan, I just hope Lynn takes the bull by the horns and uses this as a chance to succeed and doesn't just try not to fail; or our season will well and truly be over; because if there is one thing we've seen, it's that the defense is mediocre to bad, and we'll need all the offense we can generate.

Good thoughts.

Over a few days, Lynn can't do anything but pick and choose from the existing playbook. No time really to put in personal winkles. I like roll-outs to aid a weak OL, but you can only do so many until a D adjusts. And getting too fancy-dancy gives me concerns about putting my OL players into exposed positions or just injuring themselves. I don't want the opposition getting it in their heads that my QB is one of my RBs, Taylor is just not all that. If he was, he had years to beat out Flacco and he didn't.

I'm thinking deep drops, screens to RB or WR to start. Get them thinking.

GingerP
09-18-2016, 05:44 AM
Taylor is just not all that. If he was, he had years to beat out Flacco and he didn't.

He was never going to have a shot at beating out Flacco. By the time he was drafted Flacco was a entrenched starter that had led them to the playoffs each of his first 3 years and won playoff games. In Taylor's second season, the Ravens won the Super Bowl and signed Flacco to a huge contract. He never had a chance to compete there.

YardRat
09-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Option 3: Keep Roman's playbook mostly 'active' to work with as a base, slowly add a few plays on a weekly basis as the season moves on, alter some routes, and switch up the play calling.

I just hope he ripped up QB-31-Slam-Buttfumble and didn't bring it with him.

Turf
09-18-2016, 08:54 AM
I hope he puts in some straight forward running plays that don't require some kind of fake before a handoff. Just run the damn football. Secondly, I would work on quick slant patterns and TE across the middle, and I would start looking for a wide open Robert Woods, because he's not getting much respect and seems to be open a lot.
Nice post Intgar. I don't know if the existing playbook has any normal plays in it. I would also work on a hurry up or two minute drill offense.

Turf
09-18-2016, 08:59 AM
I want to add to this, this is what makes Ryan stupid. You don't come out and say we want to get the ball into Watkins hands. because you do but you don't You want to find the wide open guy. And once you find the wide open guy enough, you'll find Watkins. If this is there philosophy to force it to Watkins its just stupid. Brady doesn't come out and say I'm going to find Edelman. He finds the open guy. God they're so dumb.

DynaPaul
09-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Run Spiller until he pukes!

Historian
09-18-2016, 11:03 AM
When Marv took over from Bullough in 1986, He told the team, "We're going to give you a simple package to learn, but you need to learn it thoroughly, and be able to execute it on Sunday."

He won his first game (here) against Pittsburgh 16-12.

stuckincincy
09-18-2016, 12:21 PM
He was never going to have a shot at beating out Flacco. By the time he was drafted Flacco was a entrenched starter that had led them to the playoffs each of his first 3 years and won playoff games. In Taylor's second season, the Ravens won the Super Bowl and signed Flacco to a huge contract. He never had a chance to compete there.

Yes - I see your point.

jamze132
09-18-2016, 02:42 PM
Easy solution. Give the playbook to Tyrod, Wood, McCoy, and Watkins and tell them to collectively determine what works for this team, right now. Then play football.

Turf
09-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Easy solution. Give the playbook to Tyrod, Wood, McCoy, and Watkins and tell them to collectively determine what works for this team, right now. Then play football.

That's essentially what Marv did.

Mace
09-18-2016, 08:01 PM
When Marv took over from Bullough in 1986, He told the team, "We're going to give you a simple package to learn, but you need to learn it thoroughly, and be able to execute it on Sunday."

He won his first game (here) against Pittsburgh 16-12.

Not to hassle the Hoff, but he also only won only one more game in the next 6 to close out the year and the Bills offense didn't rev up to become a buzzsaw until run oriented Ringo was replaced with swashbuckling Marchibroda who better used Kelly.

Lynn has never called plays, he's an ex running back. He's going to depend on Wildcat Lee, with the same QB, the same players, the same o-line, all with the same weaknesses Roman at least tried to compensate for. I'm really not expecting this to go well, but I'll be more than happy if it does.

Turf
09-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Let me help Johnny Ringo out here....( Wyatt Erp) Robert Woods will be open ALL DAY.

justasportsfan
09-18-2016, 08:34 PM
TT : Ok , this , this , this and this are my favorite plays. Whatcha think about them Sammy.

SW: don't know. I'll be on the sidelines with the doctors.

sukie
09-19-2016, 12:16 PM
The problem with a mid season coaching change is that your team made a mid season coaching change barley mid season.

Lynn cannot blow up the playbook... he needs to pick and choose and maybe modify those plays.

As far as this team goes, and I understand the traditional thought of pre season... this team needed more first string work. Roman thought he had more than he really had.

Without game play... how is TT supposed to get some balls and throw over the middle 15 yards down field? Our D isn't stopping anyone so practice won't do it alone.

This is frustrating. Rex comes in with a hard on with the D he inherited... "Bully Building!!!!! " .. Yet to build a bully he totally changes the "bully" into a mensa IQ necessary dork that can't play.

Ego got in the way... he intalls a 3-4, HIS 3-4 (which supposedly was known for wild and unique blitzing packages to be pressure pressure and more pressure). what happens? His 3-4 has Williams loping around chasing TEs... and no pressure.

Again... ego.

DraftBoy
09-19-2016, 12:23 PM
What I'd like to see Lynn try and do is simplify the passing game for Tyrod through the use of roll outs, sliding pockets, and bootlegs. Yes, it will take away half the field, by Taylor is clearly at his best when moving outside the pocket so instead of making him sit back there and either run into a sack or make a mistake, let's instead actually utilize him to his strength and see if we can't get him more comfortable.

Additionally I'd like to see Lynn bring more slant, drag, hitch, and post routes to the offense to expose defenses who are giving WR's big cushions and hit the middle of the field.

I think that by doing that, you're going to see defenses that are forced to really spread out to respect Taylor's arm and legs which should open up some running lanes for Shady to pop some quick hitters in the run game.

sukie
09-19-2016, 12:38 PM
What I'd like to see Lynn try and do is simplify the passing game for Tyrod through the use of roll outs, sliding pockets, and bootlegs. Yes, it will take away half the field, by Taylor is clearly at his best when moving outside the pocket so instead of making him sit back there and either run into a sack or make a mistake, let's instead actually utilize him to his strength and see if we can't get him more comfortable.

Additionally I'd like to see Lynn bring more slant, drag, hitch, and post routes to the offense to expose defenses who are giving WR's big cushions and hit the middle of the field.

I think that by doing that, you're going to see defenses that are forced to really spread out to respect Taylor's arm and legs which should open up some running lanes for Shady to pop some quick hitters in the run game.

NE took roll outs and bootlegs and sliding pockets away from him last year with no offensive adjustment. It was brutal.

trapezeus
09-19-2016, 01:18 PM
I think a flea flicker would help as well. the bills run a lot early with no success and TT has an awesome long ball. get that to soften up the overpursuit of the run. after that, run faster run plays. too many of the long developing run plays get crushed. the few times the RB picks a hole and runs, it's picked up big yards. in some ways gilislee is more suited for it because he follows the play. last year, his big runs were because he followed the play with no questions. if we keep having dancers behind the line of scrimmage, I think you need to put gillislee out there to prove that the play is designed to work if the backs follow what is given to them.

DraftBoy
09-19-2016, 01:53 PM
NE took roll outs and bootlegs and sliding pockets away from him last year with no offensive adjustment. It was brutal.

In that case you need to adjust, if they are going to run a Wide 9 scheme and send the DE's up field to contain the roll-out then you run draws and quick slants to punish their aggressiveness and attack the lanes that the Wide 9 defense leaves for both running and throwing.

The offense has to be quick and uptempo. Taylor is clearly at his best when not having to make a lot of reads, so make it easier.

sukie
09-19-2016, 01:56 PM
In that case you need to adjust, if they are going to run a Wide 9 scheme and send the DE's up field to contain the roll-out then you run draws and quick slants to punish their aggressiveness and attack the lanes that the Wide 9 defense leaves for both running and throwing.

The offense has to be quick and uptempo. Taylor is clearly at his best when not having to make a lot of reads, so make it easier.

That's akin to saying Trent is better given only 3 check downs. Quick slants are the key..... unfortunately slants approach the middle of the field and that horse is already dead.

stuckincincy
09-20-2016, 01:07 AM

stuckincincy
09-20-2016, 01:16 AM

True - I do see your point. But in his 4 years prior to 2015, the rest of the league wasn't beating down the door to purchase his services. Until QB-starved BUF came along knocking...