PDA

View Full Version : Whaley needs to go

Turf
09-20-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm reading the Shady news again tonight, and it cements that Whaley ( and not only Whaley) need to go.

Yeah Rex is a buffoon, a fifth grader could figure this out. But not our front office.

Terry: Hey Doug, Chip Kelly's calling wants to trade us Shady for Kiko. Hell yeah Terry, AND I'll sign a HB up long term for $35 million or whatever to placate him because we know he doesn't want o be here.

Dareus - dumb ****ing lazy pothead - $100 million.

2 Kickers on the roster, still to this day.

Carlos Williams. Promising HB with a drug problem.

Lets extend Tyrod for no reason.

Sure, bring Rob Ryan in.

He didn't draft EJ, Buddy wanted to get him on of those black QB's. Which I'm sure he did and thought. ****ing hick.

Trading away too much for Watkins, which Watkins may never overcome psychologically here due to expectations and media. Not that the next years number one have made any sense.

Bottom line the same old mentality rules at One Bills Drive. We're craftier and smarter than everyone else and we don't listen to the common demonitor. We'll fix these problem players and coaches.

This idiot is more Teflon than Elon Musk and Tesla. The Ryans will get fired, Whaley won't, but he should be.

Feel free to end to the endless list.

GreedoII
09-21-2016, 07:19 AM
ouch

Cleve
09-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Both Brandon and his GM, Whaley, need to get kicked to the curb. The Sabres were dead in the water until they shed Darcy Regier and his staff. Astonishingly, the Pegulas apparently learned nothing from their Sabres experience.

OpIv37
09-21-2016, 11:47 AM
It's frustrating that we keep getting burned by drafting guys who have red flags for either injury or character concerns.

It's frustrating that we have so many players who aren't bad but aren't worth what it cost to get them: Shady, Watkins, Gilmore come immediately to mind.

This team is a car with the price tag of a Ferrari and the maintenance needs of a military Humvee but it performs like a Geo Metro and is driven by a big fat blowhard who drools on the driver side window.

kingJofNYC
09-21-2016, 12:52 PM
What did it cost to get Gilmore, besides a first? That first round isn't pretty only a few players selected after him, in the first, stand out. I wanted Lavonte David in the worst way, but no one took him in the first. Cox is a great player but we had Williams/Dareus, same goes for Poe. Guess the argument could be made for DeCastro, Hightower although I like David more. You act like we were fleeced for Gilmore, or did you want Floyd, who has cracked 1000 yards once and is always banged up.

OpIv37
09-21-2016, 02:17 PM
What did it cost to get Gilmore, besides a first? That first round isn't pretty only a few players selected after him, in the first, stand out. I wanted Lavonte David in the worst way, but no one took him in the first. Cox is a great player but we had Williams/Dareus, same goes for Poe. Guess the argument could be made for DeCastro, Hightower although I like David more. You act like we were fleeced for Gilmore, or did you want Floyd, who has cracked 1000 yards once and is always banged up.
Gilmore is just another example of a guy picked early who failed to live up to his draft status. He's certainly not a total bust but he's not worth what we spent on him. Hell, Darby was a 2nd rounder and is just as good in only his 2nd year.

kingJofNYC
09-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Gilmore is just another example of a guy picked early who failed to live up to his draft status. He's certainly not a total bust but he's not worth what we spent on him. Hell, Darby was a 2nd rounder and is just as good in only his 2nd year.

That's the draft in a nutshell. Go look at the 2012 draft, you had multiple LBs go in the 2nd round that are better than LBs taken earlier. You won't always hit, but Gilmore's an above average starter wouldn't you say?

Edit: Look at the other top 10 picks in the draft, more than a handful weren't worth their slot, am I right?

OpIv37
09-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah but when someone goes #10 overall they need to be better than "above average." That's a big reason this team has been mired in mediocrity for 17 years. When they get a top 10 draft pick, they fail to find stars.

kingJofNYC
09-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Yeah but when someone goes #10 overall they need to be better than "above average." That's a big reason this team has been mired in mediocrity for 17 years. When they get a top 10 draft pick, they fail to find stars.

Teams drafting in the top 10 often fail to draft stars, just the way it is. As on organization we need to do a better job acquiring talent, period. How man top 10 picks have the Seahawks spent on their Stars? Good organizations find talent throughout the draft, too much is made of actual draft slot. Richard Thaler's study put it best, if you have a top 10 pick, get the **** out of the top ten and sell it for more that it's worth.

WagonCircler
09-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Whaley loves the big shiny objects. He's blinded by them, and their nameplates--Ohio State, FSU, Clemson, Alabama....

There's ZERO nuance to him.

He chases big names like Lawson and Ragland when the smart GMs are backing away.

For Whaley, like his boss Brandon, it's all about the press conference and what you can spin for sales and marketing.

sudzy
09-21-2016, 04:13 PM
What has Whaley really done that some people think he's good? Darby? Preston Brown is average on his best day. John Miller and Cyrus Kouandjio are struggling on a bad offensive line. Karlos is gone and the 2016 draft class is on the self. And that doesn't include the glass WR he sold the farm for.

The Jokeman
09-21-2016, 06:04 PM
What has Whaley really done that some people think he's good? Darby? Preston Brown is average on his best day. John Miller and Cyrus Kouandjio are struggling on a bad offensive line. Karlos is gone and the 2016 draft class is on the self. And that doesn't include the glass WR he sold the farm for.

Let's play the N IF L, what IF we never trade for Watkins. Well everyone knows now that we were targeting Ebron at pick 10 so we take him. As a result of not getting Sammy we never likely trade Stevie and possibly never acquire Bryce Brown. So Ebron wasn't great his rookie season so I doubt we finish as have the 22nd pick overall in the 2015 draft for argument sake I'll say we end up with a top 12 pick which means we need a WR since if don't trade Stevie we likely cut him or "bust" Mike Williams and then draft Kevin White who misses the 2015. As a result of not having the pick we got for Stevie we never drafted Henderson which gives a hole at RT but then again we likely have a little more cap room since we likely wouldn't have signed Clay with Ebron around which let's us sign Michael Oher in UFA and maybe retain CJ Spiller as if we never have Bryce Brown we likely don't cut Freddie and not so quick to dump CJ or can give him more money like the Saints did. But I know Cleveland ended up like bandits with the trade as they have a 6th Round pick in 2018, A SS who's started 3 games since being drafted and an O-lineman who's started 6 games since being drafted.

I like Whaley because he did a major reconstruction of our scouting department and he's been able to trade and re-sign Hughes, sign and re-sign Richie Incognito, re-sign Glenn and Dareus, sign Clay away from Miami (as think they miss him big time) and find numerous depth guys at various stages in free agency most recently in Brandon Tate and Douzable and Alexander this off season as recent examples. He's also put in a position next year to either pay Tyrod if he steps up to a contract that below market value for good QBs or cut him without so much as worrying about destroying our cap. All and all he's built this roster to be more complete than we've seen in previous seasons but sadly the owners decided to hire and fire coaches with little consultation with him. As to me Greg Roman was not the problem with the offense but it's Tyrod Taylor but Roman did build an offense that best allowed Taylor/Kapearnick play above average but ultimately neither were good enough to be long term NFL starters.

sdbillsfan2
09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Whaley has been noticeably silent and out of sight lately ?
Either his a** got chewed big time or Terry has him lining up new coaching prospects. More likely ...he's just hiding from all the criticism.

Turf
09-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Let's play the N IF L, what IF we never trade for Watkins. Well everyone knows now that we were targeting Ebron at pick 10 so we take him. As a result of not getting Sammy we never likely trade Stevie and possibly never acquire Bryce Brown. So Ebron wasn't great his rookie season so I doubt we finish as have the 22nd pick overall in the 2015 draft for argument sake I'll say we end up with a top 12 pick which means we need a WR since if don't trade Stevie we likely cut him or "bust" Mike Williams and then draft Kevin White who misses the 2015. As a result of not having the pick we got for Stevie we never drafted Henderson which gives a hole at RT but then again we likely have a little more cap room since we likely wouldn't have signed Clay with Ebron around which let's us sign Michael Oher in UFA and maybe retain CJ Spiller as if we never have Bryce Brown we likely don't cut Freddie and not so quick to dump CJ or can give him more money like the Saints did. But I know Cleveland ended up like bandits with the trade as they have a 6th Round pick in 2018, A SS who's started 3 games since being drafted and an O-lineman who's started 6 games since being drafted.

I like Whaley because he did a major reconstruction of our scouting department and he's been able to trade and re-sign Hughes, sign and re-sign Richie Incognito, re-sign Glenn and Dareus, sign Clay away from Miami (as think they miss him big time) and find numerous depth guys at various stages in free agency most recently in Brandon Tate and Douzable and Alexander this off season as recent examples. He's also put in a position next year to either pay Tyrod if he steps up to a contract that below market value for good QBs or cut him without so much as worrying about destroying our cap. All and all he's built this roster to be more complete than we've seen in previous seasons but sadly the owners decided to hire and fire coaches with little consultation with him. As to me Greg Roman was not the problem with the offense but it's Tyrod Taylor but Roman did build an offense that best allowed Taylor/Kapearnick play above average but ultimately neither were good enough to be long term NFL starters.

That's exactly what's wrong, we would have taken Ebron instead of Beckham or someone else.

Mace
09-21-2016, 07:34 PM

I'll give him credit for the veteran minimum signings this offseason which bulked up the roster, and then I'll remind myself that we're 0-2 with them.

Scouting dept reconstructed isn't particularly paying off with more brittle guys.

Clay is a bullet of the wrong caliber for the gun of our offense to date, and pricey for that as well.

Incognito, Hughes, and Glenn sure, but the average poster here knew that they were needed, and my late grandmother could have told Overdorf to sign them.

Dareus ? Like the Eagles with Lane Johnson, he should have known to tell Overdorf to put in a void clause for guaranteed money.

He was also a prominent part of the Rex Ryan hiring process.

To me at least, he looks like he's in over his head.

Turf
09-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Any one of us could have made the obvious moves Whaley made, without all the dumb ****.

SpikedLemonade
09-21-2016, 11:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFDpzWJj2s

trapezeus
09-22-2016, 11:01 AM
resigning hughes was obvious, but trading for hughes, an underperforming linebacker by giving up our underperforming linebacker? that took a little foresight I think.

whaley get defense and has talent there. there are off games for people, but largely they are good. on o, it's a diferent story, and you win with qb play.

OpIv37
09-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Scouting, trades, draft picks, re-signing guys- we can nitpick Whaley's moves one by one, but in the end it all comes down to wins. This team is regressing under Whaley. 8-8 in 2014, 7-9 last year, and 0-2 so far this year with little prospect of matching last year's pedestrian win total.

Lots of people need to be held accountable for the lack of wins and Whaley is one of them.

feldspar
09-22-2016, 11:20 AM
This team is regressing under Whaley.

No it isn't.

Look at the win totals before he was GM. He's done the best job of anybody in the past 16 years, going off that. Still not good enough, but the team has NOT regressed under Whaley.

trapezeus
09-22-2016, 11:24 AM
the answer is somewhere between op and feldspar. the coaching isn't getting the most out of the roster at its peak. the roster is now weaker having to give up on Mario, bradham, and that's on the coach. its weaker that we drafted some guys who physically are out. the offense looks like a mess and the tools are weak. ragland not something you could see, but you could see shaq's injury. other teams did. so they gambled and it didn't pay off. and worse,this isn't like a mcgahee pick where we have someone and could theoretically wait for Lawson to come back. we didn't have anyone with Mario gone.

OpIv37
09-22-2016, 11:26 AM
No it isn't.

Look at the win totals before he was GM. He's done the best job of anybody in the past 16 years, going off that. Still not good enough, but the team has NOT regressed under Whaley.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of "regressing." The team was worse in 15 than in 14, and looks even worse so far this year. That's the very definition of regression.

feldspar
09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure you understand the concept of "regressing." The team was worse in 15 than in 14, and looks even worse so far this year. That's the very definition of regression.

I do understand the concept, son.

swiper
09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
the answer is somewhere between op and feldspar. the coaching isn't getting the most out of the roster at its peak. the roster is now weaker having to give up on Mario, bradham, and that's on the coach. its weaker that we drafted some guys who physically are out. the offense looks like a mess and the tools are weak. ragland not something you could see, but you could see shaq's injury. other teams did. so they gambled and it didn't pay off. and worse,this isn't like a mcgahee pick where we have someone and could theoretically wait for Lawson to come back. we didn't have anyone with Mario gone.

Where is Bradham playing again?

swiper
09-22-2016, 12:18 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7565/nigel-bradham

Nevermind. How many former Bills are playing for Schwartz?

Mace
09-22-2016, 07:30 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7565/nigel-bradham

Nevermind. How many former Bills are playing for Schwartz?

Three, I think. McKelvin (injured), Bradham, Ron Brooks (nickel). I honestly don't think they'd have helped us any in this defense. Schwartz switched them from 3-4 to 4-3.