PDA

View Full Version : Owner - Player meetings

Topas
09-23-2016, 06:27 AM
I just listened to Mike Francesca's 10 min rant. And that got me thinking. One of his main points is that it is stupid as an owner to meet with the players without the coach. Because the players will never blame themselves but always one or all of the coaches.

What do you think? What would do as an owner.

Topas
09-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Actually, I would definitely do it. And if I am new to the business I would do it twice as often.

Of course the players will not blame themselves. But the same is true for the coaches. They will also never blame themselves. And I would like to make sure that I get the whole picture. I dont want to get lied to by the head coach. Talking to everybody helps in that respect.

Two disclaimers:
First, I would tell both coaches and players that this is my modus operandi. So it would not be behind the back of the coach. But actually I think this was true for the Bills also.
Second, I would try to meddle as few as possible. Meaning doing nothing or almost never anything during the season. But it would help me do informed decisions after the season. And it would improve my learning curve.

What would you do?

Forward_Lateral
09-23-2016, 06:37 AM
If it's true, this franchise is doomed. Meddling owners never have teams that win Superbowls. Jerry Jones might be the exception, but I don't think he meddled when Jimmy Johnson was head coach. I don't think Jimmy would allow it.

This franchise is a sinking ship, and Pegula has no freaking idea what he's doing, IMO.

Topas
09-23-2016, 06:45 AM
I would guess more owners are meddling than we think. I guess one of the most respected and successful owners was highly involved and talked to all players:
Eddie DeBartolo Jr

And that means that you are very suspectable to susceptible to lies from your coach.

Historian
09-23-2016, 06:54 AM
I would, as I think an open door policy is essential to success, but would only speak in generalities.

No names, no specifics, etc, and I would share concerns and praise with said coaches.

sahlensguy
09-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Not in a million years.

The best companies that I have worked for have had the best hierarchies.Those owners wouldn't dream of screwing that up by disregarding the proper chain of command.

The King
09-23-2016, 11:11 AM
I think until you're sure the ship is heading down the right path you need to do whatever you need to to be aware. When we find the next Mike Tomlin then they need to step off but until then they need to be sure they're investment is in the right hands.

trapezeus
09-23-2016, 11:56 AM
shame on rex for not seeing that 0-2 was a major issue and that the rumblings for his job would require an immediate discussion with management. "I know we are not where you want. i'll keep doing my thing, do you need anything additional?" then the pegulas say, "we would like to talk ot players only" then rex is aware. but it seems like he didn't see that this was possibly coming and good for the pegula's to sense to urgency. that being said, I'm not sure firing roman was the right call. the offense has been very boring aside fromt he big plays. they never came from behind. but you can't let a coach talk the way rex talks and then fire parts of his staff in week 2 without making it look like a complete trainwreck.

Bill Cody
09-23-2016, 12:49 PM
it's a terrible idea but with Rex who cares? Rex couldn't read the pulse of this team with 45 heart monitors. Peg smelled a rat because there's a landfill sized stench wafting from OBD. If you just spent 1B wouldn't you want to get a handle on the smell?:idunno:

trapezeus
09-23-2016, 02:27 PM
if spent $1.4BN on a team, I certainly wouldn't have kept a power structure that hasn't been to the playoffs a record number of times. somehow, I don't think the pegulas care about the product. the nfl is designed to make a lot of money regardless if people come into the stadium. that's just the icing on the cake. and as long as 85% of the fans are too drunk to care about the actual game, they can continue to put the worst product out on the field and make money.

sahlensguy
09-23-2016, 02:33 PM
Hard to believe going in that Pugs didn't realize Rex was more of a personality than coach. Hard to believe.

Then again we are the Beverly HillBills.

ParanoidAndroid
09-23-2016, 02:36 PM
If it is done with the coaches' knowledge, I see no harm. It's a sensible evaluation tool. A similar scenario happened when I was a teacher. Administrators would occasionally interview my students. It was fine.

Typ0
09-23-2016, 03:23 PM
I want to know the people that are on my team.

Mace
09-23-2016, 05:46 PM
I would, as I think an open door policy is essential to success, but would only speak in generalities.

No names, no specifics, etc, and I would share concerns and praise with said coaches.

I had to vote no, I'd let my GM do that. I'd meet and greet, sure, would always have a personal touch with players and staff. It's one thing if a frantic player comes up and says I NEED to talk to you, as opposed to soliciting opinions and complaints. That's still GM & Coaching staff.

As Francesca pointed out, no player is going to point the finger at himself, and as a theoretical owner I can't be involved in locker room or staff politics, grudges and gripes, because there can't be any way I'll be aware of everything and all of them. If I'm trying to be aware of them, I'm micromanaging.

Specific to the Bills offense, which players do you really think would tell you the truth ? They all want more touches and more chance to display their "talents" whether they have them as they suppose or not. Taylor isn't going to tell you he has trouble with reads, McCoy that he doesn't want to run between the tackles, or Watkins that he's having trouble on a sore foot.

Once you then get involved, oh you're tangled in it.

The way around the whole thing is to hire a qualified, aware GM and coaching staff.

If I were say, Pegula, and I was upset plays are getting off so slow, I'd tell my GM to find out why and tell the coach I was asking. Same with just about any question. I'd ask the GM to look into it.

That's trusting your team to function as intended. If they aren't, and I'm an owner, I'd use the channels and not risk a player Eddie Haskelling me.

If Ryan & Roman can't get along, I'd want my GM doing something to either mitigate, mediate or address with the HC.

Thurmal
09-23-2016, 08:56 PM
The Pegulas were out of line meeting with the players without Rex there, period. They will always have a pass from me for keeping the team in Buffalo, but, at the end of the day, they don't know football like an NFL coach would. An extreme breach of trust. Meddling owners never work; Foward Lateral mentioned Jerry, but as soon as he got into Jimmy Johnson's business, Johnson fled. Yeah, they won a SB with Switzer with Johnson's team a year later, but that franchise went into a funk for a decade b/c of his meddling.

coastal
09-24-2016, 07:21 AM
Hell no.

I'd be friendly and get to know everyone... hold parties... feed people... bonus them...

but i would rigorously hold the person I hire to run my organization accountable for the metrics he's supposed to be accountable for.

and if he can't do that... I'm not going to disrespect my organization and my employees by subverting him.

im going to fire him and put someone in place who can.

ParanoidAndroid
09-24-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm not understanding where the "undermining" and "subversion" are happening. Unless you know the lines of questioning, how can you conclude there was any of that?

sahlensguy
09-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Hell no.

I'd be friendly and get to know everyone... hold parties... feed people... bonus them...

but i would rigorously hold the person I hire to run my organization accountable for the metrics he's supposed to be accountable for.

and if he can't do that... I'm not going to disrespect my organization and my employees by subverting him.

im going to fire him and put someone in place who can.

Bingo

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not understanding where the "undermining" and "subversion" are happening. Unless you know the lines of questioning, how can you conclude there was any of that?

Answer the question!

Turf
09-24-2016, 10:13 AM
If you're head coach never attended an offensive game plan meeting and had no idea what was going on, wouldn't you want to know as woner? This really explains how inept he is. NE and their players are all studying film and playbook at home, and our coach is totally aloof. And you can bet if he is that detached, so are the players. What a circus.
On a totally unrelated note, I saw on MSN this morning that five NFL teams were interested in Usain Bolt. And the first thing that came to my mind was BRANDON. I have no proof but I would bet on it. And the circus continues.

Night Train
09-24-2016, 11:05 AM
I think Pegula does wish to win, far more than Ralph ever did.

His practice of not making any moves in the front office the first couple years while observing backfired with the Sabres (Darcy Reiger). Now it's happening with the Bills and an outside set of eyes with past success without any loyalties needs to be brought in.

Polian is well into his 70's and isn't my cup of tea. He always rode the QB but those Defenses aside from stars never were consistent and could be lit up. The current game has passed him by.

Belichick proves time and time again that the strong D is still the backbone of any successful franchise while a competent QB is found. Talent needs to be coached and schemed correctly and this roster ISN'T void of talent. Direction is a whole other story.

I gave Ryan a shot because he did play the Pats far tougher than the Bills ever did. Somewhere along the line, basic tackling became poor and the O play calling reminded me of the Trent Edwards days.

I have no issue with Roman leaving but I now know this is it for Ryan or else. I'm sure Brandon had a ton to do with selling Ryan to Pegula and that should open the owners eyes as to who is advising him regarding actual knowledge of football. Call up Ron Wolf & Ernie Accorsi and ask them who would be a good idea for getting this organization moving in the right direction. They are older but always adapted to the current game and knew how to build a roster and select the right people to run it.

ParanoidAndroid
09-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Answer the question!

What?