PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

Buffalogic
09-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Doesn't mean much, but a good tidbit. (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/highest-rated-recruit-on-every-nfl-team/ar-BBwFgo5?li=BBnb7Kz#page=4)

Buffalo Bills: OT Seantrel Henderson
5 stars - National rank: 1 (2010

LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Tyrod Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Reggie Ragland, Cyrus Kouandijo, Robert Woods, Ronald Darby, E.J. Manual, Nick O'Leary, Adolphus Washington and James Wilder Jr.

Joe Fo Sho
09-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm fairly confident we could win a national championship.

WagonCircler
09-29-2016, 09:49 AM
That's what this team is. A collection of dumb athletes that looks if it was assembled by a fantasy football GM. Zero nuance to Whaley's selections. No regard to how well they fit into a given system, how self-disciplined they are, how smart and able to comprehend and execute game plans. Just a boilerplate collection of blue chip recruits for which Whaley overpaid (in terms of draft choices AND dollars) at every turn.

This is GM malpractice.

trapezeus
09-29-2016, 10:46 AM
is that GM issue? if you give a coach the best talent possible, shouldn't he be able to work with that? to me, its more damning on rex.

Luisito23
09-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Meh...Whaley sucks..

WagonCircler
09-29-2016, 11:57 AM
is that GM issue? if you give a coach the best talent possible, shouldn't he be able to work with that? to me, its more damning on rex.

You and I have a different definition of talent.

Whaley gives coaches players with athletic skill. No brains, character or heart.

djjimkelly
09-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Whaley gives coaches players with athletic skill. No brains, character or heart.

it truly cant be evaluated until we have a qb

Luisito23
09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
it truly cant be evaluated until we have a qb

Which is also Whaley's fault for not at least trying to fix that problem...but yeah, at least we have Taylor and EJ...:rolleyes:

G
09-29-2016, 03:18 PM
whaley has a built in bias against traditional pocket passers. he doesn’t care if you can hit the broad side of a barn so long as you can run the ball. it’s like whaley wants glorified rb’s behind center not qb's. i don’t understand it at all.

YardRat
09-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Too bad we've got a two-thumbs-down coaching staff.

justasportsfan
09-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Agreed. No one was complaining when we had a great D a couple of years ago. Last year that talent sucked under a different HC.

The pats are still winning without their top qb .

This is for the Tacklingdummies who think that its all about talent.

jimmifli
09-29-2016, 06:27 PM
That's what this team is. A collection of dumb athletes that looks if it was assembled by a fantasy football GM. Zero nuance to Whaley's selections. No regard to how well they fit into a given system, how self-disciplined they are, how smart and able to comprehend and execute game plans. Just a boilerplate collection of blue chip recruits for which Whaley overpaid (in terms of draft choices AND dollars) at every turn.

This is GM malpractice.

I agree to a point. But good coordinators can make use of that talent.

Pettine did pretty well. And then Schwartz knocked it out of the park. Gailey got a lot done with less talent than we currently have. Even Roman (last season) managed to scheme to avoid the short comings (QB, inside running, middle of the field passing, etc).

I'd take talent over trying to fit a particular system. Especially given how poorly he's proven at choosing coaches.

But the rest... disciplined, smart players that understand a scheme and work as a team... yeah I'd like about 30 more of those guys please.

Mace
09-29-2016, 06:28 PM

In theory yes, in practice no. I mean he knew what the staff intended, passing weapons for a rushing offense for example. Rex isn't flexible with talent, he's all about scheme, they HAVE to fit into his, he won't change it to adapt. That was a given when he was hired. He says he "tried" last year and it seems commonly accepted. No he didn't. People saw the same games I did.

The tricky part of GM'ing isn't getting supertalent, it's tailoring the best talent to the coach's philosophy if the coach isn't capable of flexibility. Feed him what he needs, not what is commonly wanted. That's how good teams remain successful with poor draft position, and that's why I'm no supporter of blind BPA in the draft.

SpikedLemonade
09-29-2016, 06:30 PM
In theory yes, in practice no. I mean he knew what the staff intended, passing weapons for a rushing offense for example. Rex isn't flexible with talent, he's all about scheme, they HAVE to fit into his, he won't change it to adapt. That was a given when he was hired. He says he "tried" last year and it seems commonly accepted. No he didn't. People saw the same games I did.

The tricky part of GM'ing isn't getting supertalent, it's tailoring the best talent to the coach's philosophy if the coach isn't capable of flexibility. Feed him what he needs, not what is commonly wanted. That's how good teams remain successful with poor draft position, and that's why I'm no supporter of blind BPA in the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1CMCtV4to

Buffalogic
09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
The GM is there to acquire as many great players as he can.

He goes grocery shopping, and tries the get the finest ingredients. The coach has to cook it up.

sukie
09-30-2016, 08:01 AM
The GM is there to acquire as many great players as he can.

He goes grocery shopping, and tries the get the finest ingredients. The coach has to cook it up.

He should do what NE does and scarf up former first rounders from crappy teams for 5th rounders... Wait. He can't scarf up his own first rounders.... Never mind.

trapezeus
09-30-2016, 08:30 AM
my comment isn't to defend whaley because he's left the most important position short. but his defense talent looks a lot better than the leon joe days with dick jauron. those teams had nobodies. it is nice to have the shiny new car. rex is responsible for getting it to go forward. ideally both aren't here and a real culture of winning is instilled into the bills. but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.

WagonCircler
09-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Plus, if you were the GM when the coach was hired, it's on you.

I don't even care if Whaley was dead set against hiring Rex (which I doubt was the case). It's Whaley's fault for being such a weak, piss poor GM that the choice was taken out of his hands.

The fact is, Whaley is only still here because the Head Coach walked two years ago, causing the man lined up to help right the ship to also walk away, thanks to the lack of a HC and the lack of a real Quarterback (also Whaley's fault).

The entire situation is a dysfunctional, steaming pile.

Buffalogic
09-30-2016, 09:53 AM
my comment isn't to defend whaley because he's left the most important position short. but his defense talent looks a lot better than the leon joe days with dick jauron. those teams had nobodies. it is nice to have the shiny new car. rex is responsible for getting it to go forward. ideally both aren't here and a real culture of winning is instilled into the bills. but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.I agree with everything about this.

justasportsfan
09-30-2016, 01:30 PM
but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.

I'm not sure how high Whaley was when it came to hiring Rex . IF he wasn't high on Rex, he should be safe and I doubt the Pegulas blame him for their mistake.

Joe Fo Sho
09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure how high Whaley was when it came to hiring Rex . IF he wasn't high on Rex, he should be safe and I doubt the Pegulas blame him for their mistake.

Russ Brandon was the only one who wanted to hire Rex, at least from what I hear.

Mace
09-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Russ Brandon was the only one who wanted to hire Rex, at least from what I hear.

Whaley's role is to say "what do you think, Russ ?", nod furiously, then agree with passion.

SpikedLemonade
09-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Whaley's role is to say "what do you think, Russ ?", nod furiously, then agree with passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfblmgOaYE

swiper
09-30-2016, 07:17 PM

This is just proof that Whaley picks players that other people look good on paper, when actually they are lame. Whaley never deserved a GM job.

Joe Fo Sho
09-30-2016, 08:15 PM

Russ forces everyone to only think about the bottom line. He has a magical power over everyone in the organization to completely disregard whatever job it was they were hired to do and focus solely on profit. It's like he's got veto power on every single move this team makes. He did that under Ralph by spending very little, now apparently he does it under Pegula by forcing him to spend a lot.

Jeff1220
09-30-2016, 08:29 PM
I don't think it's fair to call the roster "dumb". Tyrod Taylor was an honor roll student in HS, and went to and "academic" university at Virginia Tech where he consistently performed highly in the classroom. Sammy Watkins was on the academic honor roll at Clemson. EJ was on the All-ACC Academic Football team. Eric Wood wasAcademic All-Big East. Aaron Williams was on the AD Honor Roll at Texas.... These are just the first few to pop into my head.
While some of the players make boneheaded mistakes or penalties does not make them "dumb". Maybe impulsive. Maybe overly-emotional. A good, disciplinarian type coach would remedy much of that. But to label the team as a bunch of dummies is unfair and generally untrue.

Mace
09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Russ forces everyone to only think about the bottom line. He has a magical power over everyone in the organization to completely disregard whatever job it was they were hired to do and focus solely on profit. It's like he's got veto power on every single move this team makes. He did that under Ralph by spending very little, now apparently he does it under Pegula by forcing him to spend a lot.

Glad to see you finally came around, Fo Sho.

SpikedLemonade
09-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Ah crap............my miserable carefree life....NO time for a slave reference now.........Spike in his crate..........Lucy wants to hunt rabbits.......oh Lawd........my life is crap!

Generalissimus Gibby
09-30-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm fairly confident we could win a national championship.

We have the talent to be the FBS champ, but the coaching means we should probably try our hand at Division Two

SpikedLemonade
09-30-2016, 09:47 PM

I have time now.

Being organized rather than whining about their miserable life will free up time remarkably.

Then again with your limited intelligence (just NEVER had the time to be educated [see the pattern yet?]), you could NEVER possibly figure out what this song is about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhWhX3ZkW8

WagonCircler
10-01-2016, 12:49 AM
I don't think it's fair to call the roster "dumb". Tyrod Taylor was an honor roll student in HS, and went to and "academic" university at Virginia Tech where he consistently performed highly in the classroom. Sammy Watkins was on the academic honor roll at Clemson. EJ was on the All-ACC Academic Football team. Eric Wood wasAcademic All-Big East. Aaron Williams was on the AD Honor Roll at Texas.... These are just the first few to pop into my head.
While some of the players make boneheaded mistakes or penalties does not make them "dumb". Maybe impulsive. Maybe overly-emotional. A good, disciplinarian type coach would remedy much of that. But to label the team as a bunch of dummies is unfair and generally untrue.

The two QBs are clearly not football smart. The Offense has been dumbed down during both of their tenures as starters. Neither of them can read the entire field. Neither of them are consistently accurate. And the 3rd string QB, I'll quote regarding Ohio State "I didn't come here to play school, I came here to play football".

So maybe there are four or five players with half a brain. That's a really, really poor number.

And the boneheaded mistakes aren't just limited to the field or to 15 yard personal fouls in crucial situations. They're costing 4 games at a time, or in Manny Lawson's case, probably his career.

They're idiots from football factories. There are no small school Andre Reeds or Phil Hansens on this team. It's a group of dumbasses from Alabama, Clemson, FSU and other schools where players don't go to class.

And the proof is in the performance. This team is about to finish out of the playoffs for the 17th straight year.

Garbage.