PDA

View Full Version : Bills Need to make a Trade

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 09:41 AM
At this point the Bills WR corps is not complete. Without Sammy they don't have a player that can go up and get it on deep balls and considering TT's best quality is stretching the field this is something that will have to be addressed.

Every team we play going forward is going to play our run game even harder and crowd the short throws.

If Justin Hunter is not a player than can help then the Bills will need to find a trade partner. I don't see our offense being able to score many points unless we have a player that can stretch the field and be a redzone threat.

Maybe Vincent Jackson from TB or Allen Hurns from Jacksonville both are similar players to the WR1s on their team.

Pinkerton Security
10-03-2016, 09:44 AM
That is exactly why they got Justin Hunter - not saying he's any good and will step right in but thats his skill set.

justasportsfan
10-03-2016, 09:46 AM
We need to find a qb first that is an above average passer.

Jimkelly12203
10-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I would implement more looks with Gilislee in the backfield and Shady in the slot or wide. Also gotta get Clay/O'Leary involved even more than yesterday. If TT can go through his progressions and find the open guy it will be ok. If we think we're going to primary target Robert Woods for the rest of the season like we would do with Sammy we're in trouble. The primary focus has to be on spreading the ball around and getting the best playmakers (position be damned) on the field at the same time.

I know that Gilislee is our 2nd back and that he's going to be needed to spell Shady in the run game. But he's a weapon that needs to be out there with Shady as often as possible IMO.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 10:03 AM
I would implement more looks with Gilislee in the backfield and Shady in the slot or wide. Also gotta get Clay/O'Leary involved even more than yesterday. If TT can go through his progressions and find the open guy it will be ok. If we think we're going to primary target Robert Woods for the rest of the season like we would do with Sammy we're in trouble. The primary focus has to be on spreading the ball around and getting the best playmakers (position be damned) on the field at the same time.

I know that Gilislee is our 2nd back and that he's going to be needed to spell Shady in the run game. But he's a weapon that needs to be out there with Shady as often as possible IMO.

I agree I just don't t think this is possible with TT. He needs to have/see open windows in order to run that type of offense.

In order to do what you are suggesting TT needs a guy who can open things up underneath. Our game plan yesterday was good enough to win against a team that couldn't do anything on offense. Once we face a team that can score and eat up more ToP we will need a better offense than that.

sahlensguy
10-03-2016, 10:04 AM
We already have up two 1st round pics and a 4th for our #1 receiver. What do you propose we give up for his replacement?

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 10:06 AM
nothing more than a 4th.

Vincent Jackson shouldn't cost too much for example...

Night Train
10-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Salas is mending and they like him. They have 3 other WR's on the practice squad, including Dez Lewis. I honestly don't think they're too worried about WR. Right now, I don't mind Taylor looking for McCoy and Woods the most. Salas will help. Clay needs to get going more at TE.

Buffalogic
10-03-2016, 10:26 AM
We need more two back sets with Shady and Gillislee. Atlanta is killing people with this set and we are very capable of doing the same.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 10:30 AM
We need more two back sets with Shady and Gillislee. Atlanta is killing people with this set and we are very capable of doing the same.

Except Atlanta has Julio Jones keeping secondaries back, far back.

The Rams are very good at dealing with short/intermediate offenses. We will have a tough time moving the ball if we can't stretch them out a bit.

Buffalogic
10-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Except Atlanta has Julio Jones keeping secondaries back, far back.

The Rams are very good at dealing with short/intermediate offenses. We will have a tough time moving the ball if we can't stretch them out a bit.
Goodwin will take this role on while Sammy is out and coordinators are afraid of Goodwin. More two back sets please. And passing out of them as well.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Goodwin will take this role on while Sammy is out and coordinators are afraid of Goodwin. More two back sets please. And passing out of them as well.

Goodwin? I don't think anyone is afraid of him. He's a guy who can get deep but he's not winning any battles and doesn't have the size to replicate what Sammy and Julio provide.

Buffalogic
10-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Goodwin? I don't think anyone is afraid of him. He's a guy who can get deep but he's not winning any battles and doesn't have the size to replicate what Sammy and Julio provide.We know that. D coordinators don't. All they see is how he torched Revis for 90 yards.

Joe Fo Sho
10-03-2016, 10:52 AM
We know that. D coordinators don't. All they see is how he torched Revis for 90 yards.

I'm sorry, are you saying that defensive coordinators don't know how below average Goodwin is? That they're not smart like us Bills fans?

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
We know that. D coordinators don't. All they see is how he torched Revis for 90 yards.

Yes but he has 4 receptions this season. One long ball is a fluke in their eyes. And again he'll never have an impact as a true deep threat, or enough to truly affect a defense.

Buffalogic
10-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Yes but he has 4 receptions this season. One long ball is a fluke in their eyes. And again he'll never have an impact as a true deep threat, or enough to truly affect a defense.
As long as he can take some guys deep to open up the under routes for the 2 back passing sets, that's all we need. YAC will be plentiful.

Jimkelly12203
10-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Well at least we have what looks to be a very good OL and after some of the season's we've suffered in the last 16+ years that's a big relief. Was really nice to see Cordy back out there. Incogneto is pretty much my favorite player on the team. Even Kujo held his own in this stretch. I believe Richardson coming back. Mills looking good. If there's one thing i hate its watching a team that sucks on OL,

IlluminatusUIUC
10-03-2016, 12:19 PM
nothing more than a 4th.

Vincent Jackson shouldn't cost too much for example...

Jackson's contract is nearly 10 million a year. He'd be cheap in picks but eat a huge chunk of cap.

Allen Hurns would be cheaper on the cap but why would Jax even want to deal him?

No one who's available for trade in week 5 is going to be without warts, so I'm thinking your best bet is to find a highly drafted guy who had a lot of physical tools but for whatever reason hasn't caught on with his team. We tried it with Greg Little and Justin Hunter, I'd say other ones to swing at are Arrellious Benn from Tampa [EDIT: He is in Jax now too apparently], Marquise Lee from Jax (re-unite him with Woods), or Cordarrelle Patterson in Minnesota.

Pinkerton Security
10-03-2016, 12:20 PM

hahahahahahahahahaaaahahahhhaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

YardRat
10-03-2016, 01:05 PM
If we're going to make a trade for an offensive skill position, it might as well be for somebody who can throw it downfield on a consistent basis to begin with. Tyrod's throws of that kind yesterday were horribly inaccurate, and IMO another WR (regardless of his skill set) is just going to be a waste of assets if you don't have a guy that'll give them opportunities to begin with.

paladin warrior
10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Yea!!! That would be awesome to trade and get Allen Hurn.. That is more helpful or useful take over Sammy W for a while.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2016, 02:15 PM
They dont' need to trade for a WR. Yesterday proved that.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 02:15 PM
If we're going to make a trade for an offensive skill position, it might as well be for somebody who can throw it downfield on a consistent basis to begin with. Tyrod's throws of that kind yesterday were horribly inaccurate, and IMO another WR (regardless of his skill set) is just going to be a waste of assets if you don't have a guy that'll give them opportunities to begin with.

I don't agree with that....

First of all, TT long throws yesterday were inches too long. If it was Watkins it would have been completed.

Second, no one is available for trade at this point that will be better than Tyrod. Maybe Trevor Siemien in the future....

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 02:16 PM
They dont' need to trade for a WR. Yesterday proved that.

Yesterday proved nothing. Our offense managed ONE TD. That's not going to cut it against most teams. If Garropollo was available we would have needed more than 16 points to win.

This offense is too flat right now without Watkins, someone will have to fill his role or else we will not be scoring many points.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2016, 02:17 PM
This isn't fantasy football.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Yesterday proved nothing. Our offense managed ONE TD. That's not going to cut it against most teams. If Garropollo was available we would have needed more than 16 points to win.

This offense is too flat right now without Watkins, someone will have to fill his role or else we will not be scoring many points.

This is the most ridiculous, stupidest post. Did you not watch the game yesterday? The offense was not even close to flat. Give me a fuggin break.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 02:18 PM
This isn't fantasy football.

Which is why I wasn't suggesting a trade for Odell Beckham or Julio.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2016, 02:21 PM

First of all, TT long throws yesterday were inches too long. If it was Watkins it would have been completed.

Second, no one is available for trade at this point that will be better than Tyrod. Maybe Trevor Siemien in the future....

This is the 2nd dumbest, stupidest post.

How on God's green earth can you possibly say that "if it was Sammy, they'd be completed"? Are you a magician who can see into the future, or can stop time, insert someone else, then restart time to see what happens?

Goodwin is the fastest football player on the planet. If he isn't catching up to it, nobody is.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
This is the 2nd dumbest, stupidest post.

How on God's green earth can you possibly say that "if it was Sammy, they'd be completed"? Are you a magician who can see into the future, or can stop time, insert someone else, then restart time to see what happens?

Goodwin is the fastest football player on the planet. If he isn't catching up to it, nobody is.

First of all I was talking about the one to Powell in/near the endzone.

Second, a QB builds a rapport, timing and depths with his receivers. So when Watkins is running that route TT usually hits him when he has a step on the DB.

When its a player who is shorter or doesn't have the same leaping/tracking ability a throw he normally completes can look overthrown.

Mahdi
10-03-2016, 02:30 PM
This is the most ridiculous, stupidest post. Did you not watch the game yesterday? The offense was not even close to flat. Give me a fuggin break.

It was flat, efficient but flat.

One TD and 3 FGs is explosive? Taylor completed simple passes (granted ones that were missing from the Bills offense for 18 games) and the rest was a solid run game.

That performance won't be enough to win games with teams who have their starting QB.

Only excuse I can provide is that they were deliberately cautious since they knew the Pats wouldn't have much going on offense and didn't want to make any mistakes that could turn the game.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2016, 02:38 PM
It was flat, efficient but flat.

One TD and 3 FGs is explosive? Taylor completed simple passes (granted ones that were missing from the Bills offense for 18 games) and the rest was a solid run game.

That performance won't be enough to win games with teams who have their starting QB.

Only excuse I can provide is that they were deliberately cautious since they knew the Pats wouldn't have much going on offense and didn't want to make any mistakes that could turn the game.

I'm not even going to argue with you anymore. You are a piece of work.

Mr. Pink
10-03-2016, 03:09 PM
If anything, Robert Woods showed yesterday that this team doesn't even need Sammy Watkins.

He had 10 targets, catching 7 of them.

They could use another possession type receiver, who works well on the outside, quick outs type of plays.

They have Goodwin already who can stretch the field.

Clay would be more effective if the QB believed in using the intermediate middle, but that's another discussion entirely.

Joe Fo Sho
10-03-2016, 03:42 PM

Did you actually watch the game?

I don't believe that anyone who watched the game could have the same impression that you have of our offense.

Night Train
10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
I thought we played field position and adjusted to the flow of the game, which was Defense oriented.

Football isn't always a Madden joystick where if you don't score 30, you have major issues.

swiper
10-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Which is why I wasn't suggesting a trade for Odell Beckham or Julio.

Your suggestions, as usual, are some of the stupidest things around. You know nothing about football. Just SFTU and go away.

Mahdi
10-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Did you actually watch the game?

I don't believe that anyone who watched the game could have the same impression that you have of our offense.

I watched the game. And my impression of the game, free of emotion from a great win, is that our offense will need to do more than that to make the playoffs.

1. We got into the redzone two times - and went 1-2. Getting into the redzone twice is not good offense.

2. We averaged 6.0 per pass - If you compare that to league averages that would be the lowest.

3. Our last 8 drives after the Touchdown - FG, FG, Punt, Punt, Missed FG, FG, Punt, Punt

Why is it that we can't separate between a great win and the fact that we still have clear issues on offense? We are much better than what we had under Roman but the inability to get into the redzone let alone the endzone is still there.

My point about missing Sammy Watkins is very simple, TT has an ability to throw deep and now we don't have that threat. And Goodwin is not the solution outside of a couple of deep balls he'll get on the end of per year.

Can we thrive with a lateral passing game combined with a good running game? It is possible but TT has not shown that he can be accurate in those areas, especially down the middle.

Again, this offense has a long way to go and 1 TD will not be enough against most teams.

stuckincincy
10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I watched the game. And my impression of the game, free of emotion from a great win, is that our offense will need to do more than that to make the playoffs.

1. We got into the redzone two times - and went 1-2. Getting into the redzone twice is not good offense.
2. We averaged 6.0 per pass - If you compare that to league averages that would be the lowest.
3. Our last 8 drives after the Touchdown - FG, FG, Punt, Punt, Missed FG, FG, Punt, Punt
Why is it that we can't separate between a great win and the fact that we still have clear issues on offense? We are much better than what we had under Roman but the inability to get into the redzone let alone the endzone is still there.

My point about missing Sammy Watkins is very simple, TT has an ability to throw deep and now we don't have that threat. And Goodwin is not the solution outside of a couple of deep balls he'll get on the end of per year.

Can we thrive with a lateral passing game combined with a good running game? It is possible but TT has not shown that he can be accurate in those areas, especially down the middle.

Again, this offense has a long way to go and 1 TD will not be enough against most teams.

I'm not sure where they would find a roster spot for an additional WR. Plus, the "conventional wisdom' says that it takes time for QBs and WRs to get on the same page.

I've been stumping here for a while for the Bills to get KR/PR Brandon Tate some practice reps at WR (if they aren't already). When CIN (seldom) used him thus, he performed. He did well for them in 2014, garnering 12 first downs among his 17 catches.

His numbers:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/563223/brandon-tate

Mouldsie
10-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Chris Hogan?

Joe Fo Sho
10-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Chris Hogan?

He's plays for that team you admire so much for losing with their 3rd string QB. Also he cost them a TD on the 1st play of the game with his holding penalty.

Mouldsie
10-06-2016, 12:25 PM
and he's about to go HAM with Tom

Joe Fo Sho
10-06-2016, 12:36 PM
and he's about to go HAM with Tom

You should buy his jersey.

Mouldsie
10-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Wish I could but we liked Greg Salas.

YardRat
10-06-2016, 09:08 PM

Toyota's accuracy issues have nothing to do with Sammy, he's been over-throwing everybody. As F_L already pointed out, if he's overthrowing Goodwin there isn't anybody that is catching up. Also, regarding the 'rapport, timing and depth' comment, considering how little time Watkins has actually been practicing because of his limitation Taylor probably spent more time building that with the other guys than he did with Sammy.

Joe Fo Sho
10-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Wish I could but we liked Greg Salas.

It's a shame you only had 4 years to buy a Hogan jersey during his tenure in Buffalo. That's not enough time.

HHURRICANE
10-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Trade Sammy! Not joking.

feldspar
10-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Greg Salas was just put on IR.

Mahdi
10-07-2016, 09:40 PM
I'd like to see what Justin Hunter can do

stuckincincy
10-07-2016, 10:31 PM

Heh - so did TEN over 3 seasons, and MIA when they claimed him off waivers on September 4 and released him on September 28. I'm surprised they didn't call up 2nd year WR Martin from the PS - he has some reps and playbook knowledge. Perhaps they may give Tate some WR snaps.

swiper
10-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Heh - so did TEN over 3 seasons, and MIA when they claimed him off waivers on September 4 and released him on September 28. I'm surprised they didn't call up 2nd year WR Martin from the PS - he has some reps and playbook knowledge. Perhaps they may give Tate some WR snaps.

Nothing more needs to be said. Anyone who "wants to see what Justin Hunter can do" just isn't very smart. As seen repeatedly.

feldspar
10-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Miami may have released Hunter, but their plan was to re-sign him right away.

"The Dolphins had released Hunter in advance of their Thursday night game because they needed to promote a lineman from the practice squad. But they wanted to re-sign the 6-foot-4 wide receiver on Friday.

“I was walking up there to sign my stuff and they were like, somebody just claimed you,” Hunter said. “I was through the doors, about to walk upstairs and they were like, ‘You might want to call your agent.’”

https://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/10/07/new-bills-receiver-justin-hunter-ready-roll-vs-rams/

For what it's worth, anyway. Hopefully, he can kick it up a notch or two will the Bills.

swiper
10-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Magical thinking.

feldspar
10-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Magical thinking.

Hoping he improves is magical thinking?

Mr. Pink
10-08-2016, 10:41 AM

You did. You saw him get cut. His name was Greg Little.

Same receiver.

Mahdi
11-28-2016, 08:58 AM
4 TDs now for Justin Hunter. And not in garbage time either...

Would like to see what he can contribute in other areas of the field though.