PDA

View Full Version : We Won the Offseason?

Mahdi
10-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Just to re-cap what the Bills did in FA and the draft this year....

After Rex claiming we won the off-season only for Dareus, Karlos and the issues with the Lawsons to occur (all out of the FO control) we can actually evaluate how the Bills other off-season moves worked out.

Draft -

Lawson - Unknown
Ragland - Unknown (although reported to look like the real deal in camp)
Adolphus Washington - Has been a solid starter on the DL as a rookie playing well against the run
Cardale Jones - Looks like he has potential - Showed poise as a pocket passer in pre-season
Jonathan Williams - Potential as a downhill RB, looked like a good player in pre-season
Kolby Listenbee - Unknown
Kevon Seymour - Earned the backup outside corner position and looks to be a diamond in the rough

FA:

Zach Brown - Has showed why he was drafted high by the Titans in 2012. Its only 1/4 of the season but the sample size shows signs that he can be a star for the Bills -

Mayock's take: "There's good news and bad news with this pick. This is one of the most gifted athletes in this draft. He's the fastest linebacker, he flies all over. That's the good news. The bad news is that he's somewhat allergic to contact. He's a great Will linebacker to rush the passer, but he struggles at the point of attack."

Lorenzo Alexander - Rex was very complimentary of Alexander in camp saying he hasn't missed a single assignment. I was skeptical of him as a starter at OLB but he's been amazing there against the run and the pass.

Greg Salas - Seems like a clever vet receiver that can contribute but hasn't been on the field enough to evaluate this pick.

Leger Douzable - Has been an excellent addition on the DL rotation. Subtly making plays and providing a steady presence.

Jerel Worthy - I like his ability as a penetrator - If given more opportunity I think he can deliver more plays

Brandon Spikes - We knew he would bring enthusiasm to the defense and he has made some contributions at OLB.

Corey White - Has provided some steady play when needed in the absence of Darby.

Brandon Tate - Has been a good returner on both kick and punt return

Also brought in for smaller roles: Lerentee McCray, Ramon Humber, Colt Anderson, Robert Blanton, Jerome Felton,

Maybe winning the off-season is not the point but the Bills definitely added solid pieces who fit the system well and have taken their game to another level.

Buffalogic
10-05-2016, 10:36 AM
And yet Whaley gets constantly **** on.

G
10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
leger douzable is the best of the fa bunch imo guy has been playing damn good football

Mahdi
10-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Whaley and Rex I think have done a good job minus the unnecessary things Rex says in PCs sometimes.

Whaley needs to hope TT pans out or find another QB. If not he'll be gone no matter what else he has done as GM.

I think Rex knows how to coach he just needs to take a more big picture view of things with his team.

Forward_Lateral
10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Brandon Tate is useless, and shouldn't be on the roster. Mark my words, if he continues to be the punt returner, he's going to fumble a game away. He is always fair catching when he shouldn't, and vice versa.

Topas
10-05-2016, 01:50 PM
I forgot that Spikes is on the team.
Alexander is my big suprise. I never heard of him before and thought this is a street free agent... and then he constantly makes plays ... amazing

stuckincincy
10-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Brandon Tate is useless, and shouldn't be on the roster. Mark my words, if he continues to be the punt returner, he's going to fumble a game away. He is always fair catching when he shouldn't, and vice versa.

The vendetta continues... :mbb:

Goobylal
10-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Please. Again he's in the top-half of punt and KO returners.

stuckincincy
10-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Please. Again he's in the top-half of punt and KO returners.

Indeed. Averaging 24.2 on KRs with a long of 40, averaging 12.3 (that's outstanding) on PRs with a long of 31 yards. 3 FCs.

Go figure...

Night Train
10-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Zack Brown, Alexander, Worthy and Douzable this spring...Salas late last year.

Those are pretty good guys signed for nothing.

swiper
10-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Zack Brown, Alexander, Worthy and Douzable this spring...Salas late last year.

Those are pretty good guys signed for nothing.

Kumbaya. Everything's good while they're winning. Lose 2. Win 2. Those that think this team is automatically going to run the next three games are more than likely in for some disappointment.

YardRat
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Whaley has (IMO) established a really good rep for bringing in guys on the defensive side, too bad he seriously sucks balls for the offense.

Mace
10-05-2016, 06:58 PM
I said before I loved his offseason vet minimum value signings. After the first two games I said it was a shame they weren't doing much. Last 2 games they look like the stuff. Credit to him for appearing to give Ryan some good defensive pieces for the Ryan flavored D.

Walt Powell was imho a good pickup on offense. Credit to date to new OC Lynn for making a difference, Blake the new DL coach, and even Rob Ryan who seems to have brought more than an extra helping of himself to the table. They seem to be giving Ryan his best chance to succeed.

I'm real happy about them pummeling Arizona, and delighted at the Pats game, but I'm going to wait a while before going all in on how great they're doing. In my offseason arguments with X-Era, I was fine with saying this is a prove it year for Whaley and it is (to me). Ryan, well, I still don't like him, but I'm just going to enjoy what I can while it lasts and see what happens.

Mace
10-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Whaley has (IMO) established a really good rep for bringing in guys on the defensive side, too bad he seriously sucks balls for the offense.

Tough to say. McCoy, Felton, Taylor, Mills, Powell appear to be working as intended now under Lynn. Clay has had a couple moments (if not enough). If that keeps up it looks way better.

If it keeps up. I don't know.

OpIv37
10-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Yes, because he has yet to put together a winner. You can sit there and list some good moves he made, but he has yet to build a team that wins consistently.

This thread is asking if we won the off-season. Well, we are 2-2. The last two games were good but the first two were pathetic. Right now, we are on pace for another 8-8 season. If the play over the first two games was a fluke and the level of the last two games is maintained, maybe you can make the argument that we won the off-season and maybe you can make the argument that Whaley takes **** unnecessarily. But, at this point, saying either one is premature at best.

So yeah, through 1/4 of the season, some guys who seemed like throw-away draft picks or 3rd tier FA's have contributed to a whopping 2 wins. It's encouraging but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've been here before.

2002- 5-3 start, 8-8 finish
2003- 2-0 start, 6-10 finish
2005- Started 0-2, got to 3-3, finished 5-11
2006- Started 2-2, 5-11 finish
2008- Started 4-0, got to 5-1, finished 7-9
2011- Started 3-0, got to 4-1, finished 6-10
2013- Started 2-2, finished 6-10
2014- Started 2-2, finished with a winning record of 9-7 but still didn't make the playoffs.
2015- Started 3-2, finished 8-8
(oh, and the years I omitted weren't omitted because they were good. They were omitted because they were dumpster fires from week 1).

Your username is "Buffalogic." Well, use some logic. History shows that singing the team's praises after a 2-2 start is unwarranted. Doug Whaley deserves all the **** he gets until this team can maintain success.

Forward_Lateral
10-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Indeed. Averaging 24.2 on KRs with a long of 40, averaging 12.3 (that's outstanding) on PRs with a long of 31 yards. 3 FCs.

Go figure...

I'm telling you, he's scary on Punt Returns. He's taken some needless hits the past couple of weeks.

Jimkelly12203
10-06-2016, 02:50 PM

That happens when goof up the high value picks (and double down on clearly bad ones you didn't make) as consistently as Whaley has.

HHURRICANE
10-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Loosing Lawson and Ragland was huge when they were brought in to specifically replace Bradham and Williams.

Whaley has done an excellent job of not just getting replacement but decent contributors.

Mills was a terrific signing along with

Goobylal
10-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Loosing Lawson and Ragland was huge when they were brought in to specifically replace Bradham and Williams.

Whaley has done an excellent job of not just getting replacement but decent contributors.

Mills was a terrific signing along with

Yup. And as promising as Shaq and Reggie looked, it's hard to imagine them playing any better than Lorenzo and especially Zach. I hope they can re-sign both without breaking the bank.

As for Mills, I thought he'd be better this year, after having some time in the system and a full off-season with them. But I'd still like to see Kujo get a shot back there.