PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Roberto Aguayo (TB kicker)?

Mr. Miyagi
10-10-2016, 10:08 PM
I know this is not Bills related but it's a huge mystery.

He was supposed to be the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, drafted high in the 2nd round, then he absolutely sucks in the NFL.

In the kicking game, is there ANY difference between college and pro? Why does he suddenly suck balls? I just don't get it.

Goobylal
10-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Don't they kick with a higher tee in college?

Mr. Miyagi
10-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Aguayo just said, 'This is the game, it doesn't end until, the last play, you can say."

Really is that right.

ParanoidAndroid
10-10-2016, 10:30 PM
I always thought it was harder in the NCAA because the hash marks are wider and create sharper kicking angles. Is there something about the NFL ball that makes it harder to kick? Is it the speed of the game? More pressure?

Skooby
10-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Kick hard like yellow poles.

Ingtar33
10-11-2016, 12:18 AM
I know this is not Bills related but it's a huge mystery.

He was supposed to be the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, drafted high in the 2nd round, then he absolutely sucks in the NFL.

In the kicking game, is there ANY difference between college and pro? Why does he suddenly suck balls? I just don't get it.

Yep, college footballs are a little bit smaller (easier to kick) and the goalposts are wider apart. Combined it makes the leap for kickers going into the NFL a bit hard, as the ball is a little unfriendly to kicking, and the goalposts are closer together.

(NFL football is 1/2" longer and 1" circumference larger, which makes it actually more arrow shaped, college sized footballs are actually rounder than an NFL football in overall shape, they're also a little lighter making them easier to kick)

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Yep, college footballs are a little bit smaller (easier to kick) and the goalposts are wider apart. Combined it makes the leap for kickers going into the NFL a bit hard, as the ball is a little unfriendly to kicking, and the goalposts are closer together.

(NFL football is 1/2" longer and 1" circumference larger, which makes it actually more arrow shaped, college sized footballs are actually rounder than an NFL football in overall shape, they're also a little lighter making them easier to kick)
That difference just doesn't sound enough to make the most accurate kicker in NCAA history to be a way below average kicker in the pros. If any moron named Succop and Gramatica and Lambo and Vanderjagt can make it in the NFL, it's just hard to believe the best kicker in college history suddenly sucks so bad.

I wonder if it's more psychological than it appears to be.

Joe Fo Sho
10-11-2016, 10:16 AM
I wonder if it's more psychological than it appears to be.

It's probably more mental than anything. Clearly the guy can kick a football, he proved that in college. It could be something as simple as having to get the kick off 3/4 of a second faster than he needed to in college. Maybe it throws him all out of whack.

I remember Brian Moorman talking about his punter friends who he said could punt the ball further and with more hang time than him. The problem is they couldn't do it after catching a 15 yard snap, in the time needed for the NFL, and with players running full speed at them trying to take their legs out.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the story Gruden told about Janikowski and how he wanted to cut him until he drilled a 58 yard field goal.

sukie
10-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Trade a 7th for him. He'll be another Gary Anderson but this time FOR the Bills.

DraftBoy
10-11-2016, 11:34 AM
I think it's a little bit of both to be honest.

If you look at the Top 20 collegiate FG kickers of all time, only one of them has had a long NFL career, Matt Bosher, and that's as a punter.

College kicking success is far from a guarantee of NFL success.

The King
10-11-2016, 11:38 AM
There is also a huge leap in talent... the 11 guys not wanting you to kick it come at you a hell of a lot faster.

How many college Special Teamers make the NFL? Special Teams in the NFL are in the elite group that get to play professional football.

psubills62
10-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Wasn't he drafted in the second round? That's why you don't do things like that.

Albany,n.y.
10-11-2016, 02:44 PM
His kick won the game last night.

Albany,n.y.
10-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Wasn't he drafted in the second round? That's why you don't do things like that.

Do the Raiders regret drafting Janikowski in the 1st round? He's the only 1st rounder still in the NFL from the 2000 draft. Who had a better career-Janikowski or Erik Flowers?

Joe Fo Sho
10-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Do the Raiders regret drafting Janikowski in the 1st round? He's the only 1st rounder still in the NFL from the 2000 draft. Who had a better career-Janikowski or Erik Flowers?

You should ask the Jets how happy they are taking Mike Nugent in the 2nd round.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't have needed to if he didn't miss 2 other field goals.

bdutton
10-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Aguayo just said, 'This is the game, it doesn't end until, the last play, you can say."

Really is wide right.

Fixed.

Albany,n.y.
10-11-2016, 03:23 PM
You should ask the Jets how happy they are taking Mike Nugent in the 2nd round.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't have needed to if he didn't miss 2 other field goals.

Nugent has outlasted every one of our 2005 draft picks. Considering how long he's been with Cincinnati, he wasn't a bad pick.

Joe Fo Sho
10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Nugent has outlasted every one of our 2005 draft picks. Considering how long he's been with Cincinnati, he wasn't a bad pick.

Cincinnati didn't draft him, which kind of speaks to my point. You can get a kicker for $free99.

Still, ask the Jets how they feel about that pick. They're the team that picked him.

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
It did, but that made him like 3 for 6 for the night, or 4 for 9 or something like that for the season. That's pretty terrible.

If the best ever college kicker can't make it, how come the average college kickers make it to the NFL? How were the Gary Andersons Adam Vinatieris Stephan Gostowskis of the world when they were in college? This makes zero sense to me.

Ingtar33
10-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm telling you, it's ball size and weight. plus a different size for the goalposts.

It's pretty different for kickers AND to an extent punters.

Mace
10-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Trade a 7th for him. He'll be another Gary Anderson but this time FOR the Bills.

I have a feeling few are remaining who remember Gary Anderson. I'm one of them though.