PDA

View Full Version : X's quick hits for the next off-season V1.0

X-Era
10-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Spotrac has us at 15.5 mil in room with a cap of 155 and no roll-over. We currently sit at 6.6 under which we would roll-over. I think next years cap heads north of 160 personally. I think when all is said and done the Bills will sit at around 30 mill in cap space.

Let walk

1. Gilmore- Never been a huge fan and is having a down year. He's demanding top 5 or even 10 CB money. I feel Darby is actually better most of the time. I'd rather move on and look to the draft or a cheaper free agent
2. Reggie Bush
3. EJ
4. Goodwin- Never showed he's a consistent performer and I'd rather have size
5. Dan Carpenter- Please cut this guy
6. Aaron Williams- We simply can't have a starting safety with so many serious health concerns

Re-sign

1. Zack Brown- When Ragland comes back move him to SAM to start in front of Alexander. He's 26 and a great pickup
2. Robert Woods- Contract terms will be key. I think the #2 WR spot should be upgraded and Woods should move to the slot and get paid appropriately there.
3. Jordan Mills- Contract again is key. I don't want him getting starting RT money. But, if he is willing to take backup RT money he's 25 and could be a decent backup option.
4. Greg Salas- I just like his play
5. Lorenzo Alexander- to a vet min contract or maybe a bit more but not starting money

Free-Agency

1. Morris Claiborne- Having a good year and is 26. I don't think he'll be looked at as a #1 CB but should get starting #2 CB money. I think Darby will be our #1 going forward. The draft is the other option.
2. Greg Zeurlien or Mike Nugent- Both are having good years. Nugent would be a cheaper version.

Draft

1. Mike Williams, WR, Clemson- Becomes the big #2 WR we've wanted
2. Christian McCaffery, RB/KR/PR, Stanford- Crazy? Think of what he could do as our #2 RB both as a runner and receiver. Oh BTW he can be our primary returner as well
3. Connor McDermott, OT, UCLA
5. Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse- We need to restock and Etta-Tawo has been impressive on an awful Syracuse team
6. Brandon Facyson, CB, VT

One thing I didn't do is talk cap:

1. I think the cap moves to 162 mill
2. I think we roll over 6.6 mill
3. Our cap would then be 168.6

4. As per Spotrac our top 51 count as 140.2
5. That puts us at 28.4 mill under

6. We probably need 6 mill for the draft pool
7. That puts us at 22.4 mill in room to spend
8. Zack Brown- at 26 and coming off a good year I think the cap hit could be 4-5 mill
9. Lorenzo Alexander- at 34 and going into next year in a backup role I'd say 3-4 mill
10. Jordan Mills- Probably gets done for 3 mill cap hit in year one with incentives to escalate from there
11. Robert Woods- Probably around 5 mill
12. That puts us at between 5.4 and 7.4 in cap space

13. Morris Claiborne- I think it could be setup to be a 5 to 7 cap hit

______

Updates in bold

Joe Fo Sho
10-11-2016, 10:18 AM
I assume you're picking up Tyrod's option in this scenario?

Yasgur's Farm
10-11-2016, 11:01 AM
I assume you're picking up Tyrod's option in this scenario?That would be a big mistake IMO. Keep EJ (as back-up) on the cheap, and do whatever is necessary to get Chad Kelly.

Also... We'd be extremely hard pressed to get a kicker as good as Carpenter... Sunday's missed extra point is not on him.

The Jokeman
10-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Spoptrac has us at 15.5 mil in room with a cap of 155 and no roll-over. We currently sit at 6.6 under which we would roll-over. I think next years cap heads north of 160 personally. I think when all is said and done the Bills will sit at around 30 mill in cap space.

Let walk

1. Gilmore- Never been a huge fan and is having a down year. He's demanding top 5 or even 10 CB money. I feel Darby is actually better most of the time. I'd rather move on and look to the draft or a cheaper free agent
2. Reggie Bush
3. EJ

Re-sign

1. Zack Brown- When Ragland comes back move him to SAM to start in front of Alexander. He's 26 and a great pickup
2. Robert Woods- Contract terms will be key. I think the #2 WR spot should be upgraded and Woods should move to the slot and get paid appropriately there.
3. Jordan Mills- Contract again is key. I don't want him getting starting RT money. But, if he is willing to take backup RT money he's 25 and could be a decent backup option.
5. Lorenzo Alexander- to a vet min contract or maybe a bit more but not starting money

Free-Agency

1. Morris Claiborne- Having a good year and is 26. I don't think he'll be looked at as a #1 CB but should get starting #2 CB money. I think Darby will be our #1 going forward. The draft is the other option.
2. Greg Zeurlien or Mike Nugent- Both are having good years. Nugent would be a cheaper version.

Draft

2. Christian McCaffery, RB/KR/PR, Stanford- Crazy? Think of what he could do as our #2 RB both as a runner and receiver. Oh BTW he can be our primary returner as well
5. Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse- We need to restock and Etta-Tawo has been impressive on an awful Syracuse team

Gilmore isn't a top 10 CB but he's still a vital part of why the D and would try and get him at a cap friendly deal. Lorax is going to command more than the vet minimum after this season but hopefully he'll come back considering he's had success here and likely will be on his last contract. I do agree that WR is a high priority and love to keep Woods but he could get big money, as if look at what Muhammed Sanu got from Atlanta I could see a WR desperate team throwing that kind of money at Woods. I'd also look to take a QB in one of the first 2 rounds to develop.

X-Era
10-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I assume you're picking up Tyrod's option in this scenario?
Undetermined still. I said before the contract I wouldn't make the final call on him before mid-season at the earliest. Now under contract I'd wait until the 11th hour before making that choice.

The Jokeman
10-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Undetermined still. I said before the contract I wouldn't make the final call on him before mid-season at the earliest. Now under contract I'd wait until the 11th hour before making that choice.

I think if we make the playoffs there's no doubt we bring back Tyrod yet if we fail and he continues to play as has so far this season we could be looking in a new direction as in a high pick next year to compete with Jones and maybe a veteran that Lynn or new OC has a connection to.

Ed
10-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Morris Claiborne might not be worth #1 CB money, but assuming he doesn't re-sign with the Cowboys, he's probably still going to get #1 CB money. Teams are always looking for CB's and always overpay. I don't really like the idea of letting Gilmore walk just to turn around and still spend big money at CB on a lesser player, even if it's less than what Gilmore will command. I know Gilmore won't be cheap, but you still usually get better value re-signing your own players than having to compete in free agency. Plus, the Bills can also use the franchise tag on him, so why just let him walk? At the very least you can still trade him for a draft pick if you don't want to extend him.

casdhf
10-11-2016, 02:13 PM
There is no way that Tyrod is not Rex Ryan's QB for as long as he is coaching. It just won't happen.

Skooby
10-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Maybe we can get Chad Kelly to beat up a teenager so he falls to the 4th round ??

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
NO MORE CLEMSON FIRST ROUNDERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!

EVER

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-11-2016, 04:09 PM
and there's no way you'll resign alexander at a vet minimum. even if he were to do next to nothing for the rest of the season, there is no way. i do truly appreciate the time and effort you put in this though x era

thank you

X-Era
10-11-2016, 04:22 PM
and there's no way you'll resign alexander at a vet minimum. even if he were to do next to nothing for the rest of the season, there is no way. i do truly appreciate the time and effort you put in this though x era

thank youI have nothing against Clemson first rounders. That pick is not about where the kid plays. Lorenzo Alexander will be 34. He's looking at a low end deal for sure. And I think we should pay it. I want Zack Brown back which means Alexander would then be a backup or rotational guy. I'm fine with bringing him back but not for starter LB money.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
I have nothing against Clemson first rounders. That pick is not about where the kid plays. Lorenzo Alexander will be 34. He's looking at a low end deal for sure. And I think we should pay it. I want Zack Brown back which means Alexander would then be a backup or rotational guy. I'm fine with bringing him back but not for starter LB money.
i realize it isn't because he plays at clemson. it is because of his skill set. yes, i get it. my issue is our recent success with clemson first rounders. So far extremely underachieving, which may not be a fair assessment but that's the appearance at this point. and no, i realize alexander wouldn't command top dollar, but my point is there is almost no way someone wouldn't pay him more than the vet minimum based on this years performance alone

Mace
10-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Spoptrac has us at 15.5 mil in room with a cap of 155 and no roll-over. We currently sit at 6.6 under which we would roll-over. I think next years cap heads north of 160 personally. I think when all is said and done the Bills will sit at around 30 mill in cap space.

Let walk

2. Reggie Bush
3. EJ

Re-sign

Free-Agency

Draft

Way to early for me to have solid conclusions, but I'm leaning your way on the better part of it.

-I'm hoping to see Carpenter steady up and become a non-issue, but that's no certainty.
- If Lorenzo keeps this up, I'd reward him for it with a decent short term deal. No way to know what happens when Shaq comes back, but I like the idea of another rortational threat though I have no idea if Ryan does too.
- Same for Zach Brown/Reggie Ragland. Now clue how that plays out, both would be good.
- Both Lorenzo & Zach could be playing their way into good money, and could be must haves, expendable, or desirable depending on Lawson/Ragland/Preston Brown.
- Still think they can find a fine corner coming out of spread happy college in the draft, I'd let Gilmore walk.

Early draft thoughts...of course I want The Chad but find it unlikely, and much still depends on Tyrod as to if they'd even think it.

If the team maintains the competence, the draft will be sweet, because we'd have some luxury choices.

WR ? Maybe. Still not convinced they can't scout a good udfa, but luxury means you can aim higher. OT and OG. I think they're doing well with less, but could do more with better. If a big bruising runner was handy in the middle rounds, I'd like it....a safety, they're getting some decent play there but might be able to upgrade younger. A future replacement for Kyle might be available. As I mentioned a CB unless Seymour suddenly gets all over the place. Maybe he's still the future Gilmore replacement. Too early.

It would be great to have the luxury of adding layers of good behind proven starters for a change, almost seems like maybe we can.

TacklingDummy
10-11-2016, 07:30 PM
NO MORE CLEMSON FIRST ROUNDERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!

EVER

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, follow me 3 times, I'm an idiot, follow me 4 times, kill me now.

DesertFox24
10-11-2016, 08:19 PM
I do not hold a school against a player. Clemson had produced some good pro talent.

That said it is clear we need WRs backup ol and backup dl this draft. I do not think we can keep brown or Alexander as they will get some good money elsewhere.

One positive is O'Leary is playing well enough to not make. Second a huge need

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-12-2016, 06:30 AM
I do not hold a school against a player. Clemson had produced some good pro talent.

That said it is clear we need WRs backup ol and backup dl this draft. I do not think we can keep brown or Alexander as they will get some good money elsewhere.

One positive is O'Leary is playing well enough to not make. Second a huge need

i don't hold a school against one player either. I hold 3. 3 underachieving first rounders up to this point anyway. I know it's not the schools fault. But for whatever reason we have bad luck with Clemson.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2016, 06:47 AM
i don't hold a school against one player either. I hold 3. 3 underachieving first rounders up to this point anyway. I know it's not the schools fault. But for whatever reason we have bad luck with Clemson.

Not only that but Matvis Bryant of the Steelers has all the talent in the world and has produced more than Watkins but he can't stay healthy or away from drugs.

DesertFox24
10-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Who are the three players. Sammy when he plays has been very good, Shaq has not played, who am I missing.

DesertFox24
10-12-2016, 11:27 AM
You guys hate on Sammy because Whaley moved up to get him. The guy is a good to elite WR when healthy as he showed last year. Seriously let the trade go and just judge him by his actions on the field. Hopefully this foot deal will not be a lingering issue when he comes back. As for Shaq we have no idea how good or bad he will be at this point. My money is on not really good until next year, so I am sure the bust parade will start after this season regardless.

Shady25
10-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Who are the three players. Sammy when he plays has been very good, Shaq has not played, who am I missing.

cj spiller

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-12-2016, 12:25 PM

spiller

X-Era
10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
spiller
I'm not as down on Spiller as many were.

X-Era
10-12-2016, 02:07 PM
You guys hate on Sammy because Whaley moved up to get him. The guy is a good to elite WR when healthy as he showed last year. Seriously let the trade go and just judge him by his actions on the field. Hopefully this foot deal will not be a lingering issue when he comes back. As for Shaq we have no idea how good or bad he will be at this point. My money is on not really good until next year, so I am sure the bust parade will start after this season regardless.Seriously, I have no issue with that trade. What Sammy represented and still represents makes it worth it. Hopefully he can shake the injury bug. But there is no way to predict that most of the time with the draft.

I chose Mike Williams due to his size, speed, play and where (at this point) he may be available in the draft. It had nothing to do with Clemson.

alohabillsfan
10-12-2016, 02:37 PM
This may be the first time in BZ history that we have off season planning while the bills are above 500. Love the enthusiasm but I'll wait to see a full year of performance. Hell just a month or so ago a lot of zones were screaming about our linebackers and with 2 projected starters out it has been a position of strength . IMO

DesertFox24
10-12-2016, 03:06 PM
cj spiller
Thanks totally forgot about him.

DesertFox24
10-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Seriously, I have no issue with that trade. What Sammy represented and still represents makes it worth it. Hopefully he can shake the injury bug. But there is no way to predict that most of the time with the draft.

I chose Mike Williams due to his size, speed, play and where (at this point) he may be available in the draft. It had nothing to do with Clemson.
I am a fan of his and we need more WRs.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Sammy is wonderful..... when he's available. unfortunately he doesn't seem to be available much.

Mace
10-12-2016, 07:09 PM
You guys hate on Sammy because Whaley moved up to get him. The guy is a good to elite WR when healthy as he showed last year. Seriously let the trade go and just judge him by his actions on the field. Hopefully this foot deal will not be a lingering issue when he comes back. As for Shaq we have no idea how good or bad he will be at this point. My money is on not really good until next year, so I am sure the bust parade will start after this season regardless.

Whaley moving up to get him was a demerit for Whaley (imho), not Watkins. Would have made sense for a team with a purposeful passing offense and gunslinger QB to do that. We had neither.

Watkins however, while being said to have elite talent, is a good receiver, and a decent playmaker from time to time. He doesn't dominate secondaries or games. Elite receivers do that.

All of that said, Lynn has changed up enough where it will be interesting to see how he uses Watkins.

I don't trust this medical staff. I don't trust his durability. Make sure he's 100% healed and let him come back with something to prove next year.

Joe Fo Sho
10-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Sammy is wonderful..... when he's available. unfortunately he doesn't seem to be available much.

You're just talking about this year, right? Because he's been available for 31 out of his first 34 games.