PDA

View Full Version : Jets news for the week of July 28th

BillsFever
07-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Post Jets news here!

The_Philster
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Last week, the Jets ended the experiment of using Tory Woodbury at wide receiver. In the future, Herman Edwards had said, Woodbury would only play quarterback.
Then yesterday, Woodbury's Jets career ended altogether. He requested his release and got it.

"He said at this point his heart wasn't into playing football and said he wanted to be released," Edwards said. "I told him not to make a hasty decision."...

more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/104627p-94653c.html)

The_Philster
07-29-2003, 07:21 PM
When the Jets released starting free safety Damien Robinson in February, no one - aside from Robinson - felt worse than Jon McGraw.
McGraw said no one had taught him more about the position in his first season in the NFL than his friend Robinson.

But McGraw's disappointment was tempered by the fact he knew Robinson's release meant he'd be the starter. ...

more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/104631p-94657c.html)

The_Philster
07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Tom Nutten considers the right guard spot on the Jets' offensive line his "to lose."
Head coach Herm Edwards doesn't see it as quite as sure a thing. In fact, Nutten and Jonathan Goodwin have only begun the fight to determine who will get the starting role, although it would appear that the free agent Nutten has the advantage.

"They're still battling," Edwards said. "It's hard to say that there is a clear-cut [favorite] after a week. I don't think that's fair to the players. But it takes care of itself." ...
more (http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/38294.htm)

The_Philster
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Jets expect McGraw to play big role on defense
This was not football the way Jon McGraw likes to play it. Running backs and receivers were romping through yesterday's early-morning drills virtually untouched. Finally, McGraw, the soft-spoken second-year free safety, yelled, "Tackle the guy!"

Such feistiness delighted Jets coach Herman Edwards. "That's a good thing. That's going to be his role eventually. He's going to be a leader on the team," Edwards said. "He'll handle it. That's why we drafted him. He sounded like another John I know."..
more (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets293392591jul29,0,7133182.story?coll=ny-football-headlines)

The_Philster
07-29-2003, 07:27 PM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Listen to Tom Nutten talking and you quickly hear why the Jets' guard calls himself "world traveled."

"I grew up in Germany, so when I came to Canada, guys there told me I had a German accent," Nutten said Monday as the Jets resumed training camp after an off-day. "When I went to visit my friends in Germany and the States, they said I had a Canadian accent. When I went back to Canada, it was an American accent."

He said he didn't acquire any Dutch undertones from his one year with the Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe, and he won't be speaking much Japanese on the Jets' five-day road trip to Japan for the American Bowl that begins today, unless it's to place a sushi order....

more (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY0MDc5MzUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2)

:huh: Defensive End? They're talking about a Guard

BillsFever
08-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Jets | Bollinger Gets Bulk of Snaps in American Bowl - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:16:20 -0700

New York Jets QB Brooks Bollinger saw most of the action at the quarterback position during the American Bowl on Saturday, August 2, going 8-for-13 with 98 passing yards, according to NewYorkJets.com. He also threw his first professional touchdown, an 11-yard pass to TE Gabe Reid.

BillsFever
08-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Jets | Imoto Makes Hometown Splash - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:50:48 -0700

New York Jets WR Yoshiunobu Imoto caught a 44-yard pass from QB Brooks Bollinger late in the fourth quarter on Saturday, August 2 during the American Bowl in Tokyo, Japan, according to NewYorkJets.com. The Japanese-born Imoto played college ball at Ritsumeikan and was a member of the NFL Europe's Amsterdam Admirals in 2003.

BillsFever
08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Jets | Thomas Sustains Ankle Injury - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:03:10 -0700

Ken Berger, of Newsday.com, reports New York Jets DE Bryan Thomas (ankle) twisted his right ankle on the second series and did not return Saturday, August 2 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Jets head coach Herman Edwards said Thomas will be out for about a week

BillsFever
Jets | Team To Rest Up - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:52:40 -0700

NewYorkJets.com reports New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards has given the players off Sunday, August 2 and the club won't practice again until the morning of Tuesday, August 4. "We are going to give the players a day and a half to get their rest and get adjusted to the time difference in New York," Edwards said. "We're not going to come right back and get right on it, we're going to give the guys time to clear their minds, get their bodies right, and get back into the training camp mindset."

BillsFever
Not much Jets news this week :scratch: