PDA

View Full Version : Running alongside the bandwagon...

sukie
10-17-2016, 10:03 AM
The Bills are 4-2. Should be at least 5-1. I can't believe I wrote that.

I admit my 6-10 forecast is a near certainty now. I was wrong about so much his year and we re only games into the season.

It is almost fun again. A Bills season being fun. What the hell? What happened?

I'm going to be 53 next month which makes me quite senior to most here. Being a Bills fan for so long has made me so cynical, almost defeatist, watching teams trotting onto the field with the only familiarity being uniform color-- minus that horrid redo with the baby blue. Every year disappointment. Every year... suckage.

Being over 50 means I witnessed what so may here have not... The 90s. Magical times. Bills fans had swagger and arrogance.

This week is key. My "superbowl". Buffalo fans descend on S. Fla. for the Miami game. A the memories of domination, the weekly Miami fans crying, may bets won.
See, for you youngsters here, the result was the same in the Miami papers... remember no internet... Fins Buffaloed Again. Dan Marino needed minor surgery to have Bruce Smith excised from his back. Good stuff.

Reed ruined careers... Thurman running screens... again it was magical.

So I cannot hop on until after this weeks game. 5-2 would feel different . I actually feel confident. It is a weird sensation.

GO BILLS. SQUISH the FISH!!!!!

Novacane
10-17-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm with you. A little younger than you but I was there for the glory years. Seems like forever ago.

Anyway, I want to see more than beating Miami. The Bills should beat the phins. They are bad. I don't care if they beat the Steelers. I want to see us beat NE with Brady. Then I'll be a believer. I never got off the bandwagon. The Bills are like my kids. I'll love them no matter how bad they are. I just don't believe this time is any different till I see it. Been fooled to many times.

sukie
10-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I want a Brady beating as well... I feel MAYBE this could lead to an offseason of tweaking rather than retooling. Am I dreaming?

Mahdi
10-17-2016, 11:30 AM

Getting a healthy Watkins back would be huge for the passing game and almost makes us impossible to stop.

Imagine if we had a good screen game with LeSean McCoy. For some reason we just haven't seen that from the Bills and it can be a brutal weapon.

GreedoII
10-17-2016, 11:30 AM

I admit my 6-10 forecast is a near certainty now. I was wrong about so much his year and we re only games into the season.

I'm going to be 53 next month which makes me quite senior to most here. Being a Bills fan for so long has made me so cynical, almost defeatist, watching teams trotting onto the field with the only familiarity being uniform color-- minus that horrid redo with the baby blue. Every year disappointment. Every year... suckage.

Being over 50 means I witnessed what so may here have not... The 90s. Magical times. Bills fans had swagger and arrogance.

This week is key. My "superbowl". Buffalo fans descend on S. Fla. for the Miami game. A the memories of domination, the weekly Miami fans crying, may bets won.
See, for you youngsters here, the result was the same in the Miami papers... remember no internet... Fins Buffaloed Again. Dan Marino needed minor surgery to have Bruce Smith excised from his back. Good stuff.

So I cannot hop on until after this weeks game. 5-2 would feel different . I actually feel confident. It is a weird sensation.

We have seen this scenario a few times and NE always seems to derail them. now it's time come through. See it when I believe it..it all means jack chit until it does....

sukie
10-17-2016, 11:54 AM
We have seen this scenario a few times and NE always seems to derail them. now it's time come through. See it when I believe it..it all means jack chit until it does....

agreed.

justasportsfan
10-17-2016, 11:57 AM
I'll temper my enthusiasm.

We're simply beating teams we're supposed to beat. If we actually beat NE with Brady, I'm on the wagon.

sukie
10-17-2016, 12:13 PM
I'll temper my enthusiasm.

We're simply beating teams we're supposed to beat. If we actually beat NE with Brady, I'm on the wagon.

Admit I... THAT I a little different this year. We always blew it against teams we should have beat. SF fans and the LA fan out there had Buffalo as a possible win.

justasportsfan
10-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Admit I... THAT I a little different this year. We always blew it against teams we should have beat. SF fans and the LA fan out there had Buffalo as a possible win.

Our team looks focused. No freak side shows . I'm not sure if it's Rex learning to be a head coach by letting his assistant coaches, coach. Either ways, Rexy gets credit.

sukie
10-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Our team looks focused. No freak side shows . I'm not sure if it's Rex learning to be a head coach by letting his assistant coaches, coach. Either ways, Rexy gets credit.

He does get credit and I believe he IS allowing his assistants to "assist".

Joe Fo Sho
10-17-2016, 12:29 PM
He does get credit and I believe he IS allowing his assistants to "assist".

I'm starting to think that Rob Ryan is great at game planning/figuring out what an offense is doing in-game, but terrible at doing that while calling plays for a defense. Rob is in Rex's ear all game and has been credited with doing the film study for our upcoming opponents.

Rob seems like a great defensive assistant, but a miserable defensive coordinator. I wonder if I'll feel this same way at the end of the year.

- - - Updated - - -

I want a Brady beating as well... I feel MAYBE this could lead to an offseason of tweaking rather than retooling. Am I dreaming?

That's what we did this offseason, and people lost their minds.

sukie
10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm starting to think that Rob Ryan is great at game planning/figuring out what an offense is doing in-game, but terrible at doing that while calling plays for a defense. Rob is in Rex's ear all game and has been credited with doing the film study for our upcoming opponents.

Rob seems like a great defensive assistant, but a miserable defensive coordinator. I wonder if I'll feel this same way at the end of the year.

- - - Updated -

That's what we did this offseason, and people lost their minds.

Because many thought a retool was needed.

Victor7
10-17-2016, 04:58 PM
We have to take care of the Fish. Why ? because its Miami. We own their ass. Specially Tanehill's. But be careful what you wish for. Brady comes after that. We WILL lose that game. Its just a matter of by how much. Some things never change. Then we go to Seattle. I actually think we may have a better shot at that one. Albeit also a very small one. This Miami game is more important than it seems because with 2 very probable losses afterwards it helps us stay above .500 gearing towards the end of the season where we have more winnable games.

Kudos to Rex and the team for winning this past 2 games. Other Buffalo teams in the past would've looked past SanFran and lost or would've gotten steamrolled in the West Coast. They looked focused and ready. I'm impressed.

Mace
10-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Almost exactly the same here. I'm sort of not unhappily snagged on the bandwagon, trotting along with a half smile I'm not sure I want to commit to. It is fun, but it feels unfamiliar after all these years.

Experience makes me wary, but probably one thing I still half regret was not believing in the 90's team as they were gearing up to be special. I did the same thing, snagged on the bandwagon, half smile, trotting along waiting for something bad to happen next game.

So at least now I'm enjoying it for what it is. Realistically that 4 game streak, Cardinals, a win in Gillette no matter who the QB was, no letdown to win an elusive West Coast game decisively, no let down to win the next at home.....is no small thing. There will be a bad game to test me, sure hope it isn't Miami, I still carry the old grudge too...I don't think it will be though.

It's fun having fun again when they play. I still remember the glory of the 90's team shredding the Raiders 51-3 in the playoffs. I couldn't seem to grasp what I was experiencing, I mean those were the BILLS.

It sure would be good to feel that again, and I'd love it if the younger folks could get a taste of it also.

Squish the Fish for damn sure.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-17-2016, 07:57 PM
ESPN's Matt Williamsonis a Pittsburgh resident and I believe he's good buddy to Whaley as well.From what I hear over the years on radio, he's pretty objective but shows a bit favor towards the Bills.

I agree with his current assessment of the Bills -- an average+ team in the likes of Bengals. What the Bengals have done the past few years? Fairly steady: beat the bad teams, compete favorably against average teams, loses to good to great teams.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2016, 08:37 PM
ESPN's Matt Williamsonis a Pittsburgh resident and I believe he's good buddy to Whaley as well.From what I hear over the years on radio, he's pretty objective but shows a bit favor towards the Bills.

I agree with his current assessment of the Bills -- an average+ team in the likes of Bengals. What the Bengals have done the past few years? Fairly steady: beat the bad teams, compete favorably against average teams, loses to good to great teams.

The Bengals have been in the playoffs every year since 2011. I'll take getting in for now, and we can worry about actually winning playoff games later.