PDA

View Full Version : Bills Style of Play-Is it good enough to beat NFL elite teams and team location query

blackonyx89
10-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Question #1.
I have to say that the Bills are playing well but the question remains, can this team's offense beat elite defenses and offenses. In other words can Tyrod step his game up if their offense scheme is taken away?

Question #2.
Do you think that the area can win a championship? I've had this discussion with people over the years and they said that Buffalo doesn't have a landmark or anything that stands out compared to the rest of major cities and falls short in that regard who has nationwide or worldwide attention (not counting Niagara Falls). Is there any truth to this?

sukie
10-17-2016, 02:53 PM
1. I don't think so since there hasn't been any real "test" to see how TT fairs when pressed.... YET.

2. WTF dose a landmark have t do with championships?

BillsOwnAll
10-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Playing NE and Seattle back to back will be a good test.

Why is #2 even on there?

- - - Updated - - -

Playing NE and Seattle back to back will be a good test.

Why is #2 even on there?

Night Train
10-17-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm not even thinking they are seriously challenging the Pats yet... but the point is they are improving.

Has anyone looked at the rest of the AFC ? After the Pats, it's up for grabs and catching the final WC spot isn't miles away. Put in the work and stay focused. These other teams have issues and the Steelers losing Ben R. doesn't hurt. Doors are opening.

justasportsfan
10-17-2016, 03:31 PM
If the Broncos won a sb with crappy qb play I think our O will suffice if our D could play lights out.

Problem is, if elite defenses stop our run, we're in trouble. Our passing game isn't opening up holes for the running game. Right now we're telling D's to try to stop our running game and they aren't.

Night Train
10-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Right now we're telling D's to try to stop our running game and they aren't.

That's because we change the looks every week. It's not the same student body right run every snap.

The Beef
10-17-2016, 03:35 PM
You can win with average QB play if your defense is a juggernaut. Tampa and Baltimore did it. The Steelers on Ben's first win. Seattle (Wilson was way above average but not a top 5 guy when they won) and Denver last year.

This is a good defense, not a juggernaut unless they whip New England, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Oakland etc.

You win the turnover battle the way the Bills have the last 4 weeks and you should win a lot of games.

They've beaten some bad trams and a potentially good one in AZ who was playing bad football.

DesertFox24
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Ask this question after NE and Seattle games. I have been waiting for those two games. If we are 6-3 after those two games then yes we can succeed if we are 5-4 or worse then no.

Victor7
10-17-2016, 05:12 PM
This team isn't built to play from behind. Tyrod's deficiencies start to show. He's good playing with the lead and on close games. We HAVE to keep all games within reach for this plan to continue to work. 2 weeks from now when Brady comes in will be a good test. I fully expect us to drop that one. But if we at least keep it civil I'll be somewhat satisfied. If they waltz into the Ralph and butt **** us 45-17 or something like that it will raise massive red flags.

coastal
10-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Don't they have to beat Miami first?

Novacane
10-17-2016, 06:21 PM
I expect Brady to light us up

Night Train
10-17-2016, 06:53 PM
I expect Brady to light us up

Here's the thing. He's not playing us 7 more times through December..

It's ONE game.

Mace
10-17-2016, 07:13 PM
1. Well, Denver beat Carolina in the last Super Bowl with less than Tyrod Taylor QB play. Is the Bills defense as fierce as Denver's was ? I don't have a clue. The question wasn't specific to this year, so I'd say if they keep rolling like so, I'd think their ceiling is to contend for a wild card and win a playoff game. Next year, if they stay on this track, maybe they're a contender.

2. Not that it matters but Niagara Falls is associated with Buffalo, correctly or not. But Green Bay, Wisconsin has nothing whatever besides a football team and they are called Titletown.

You'll get a much better feel for them when they play Bradypats, Seattle, CInci & Oakland on the road, and Pittsburgh. Lot of season left for things to go well or poorly, injuries, etc.

Novacane
10-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Here's the thing. He's not playing us 7 more times through December..

It's ONE game.

Correct but the topic is can our style of play beat the top teams. I don't think it can.

YardRat
10-17-2016, 09:09 PM
It's far more important what the defense can do against elite offenses, than if our offense can function well enough to outscore elite teams. Defense wins championships. Period.

Scumbag College
10-17-2016, 09:19 PM
I like threads like this that makes us use some critical thinking.

I am not sure if this team can beat the elite defenses....the two elite D's off the top of my head is Denver and Minnesota. We aren't playing either team this year (until the playoffs and Super Bowl) and I think that most defenses in the NFL are average to not very good. Just looking ahead, the best D that we are probably playing the rest of the year is Seattle, and they aren't as good as their Super Bowl years. I think the NFL game is always evolving, and as long as the Bills offense is consistently moving the ball and not turning the ball over, they'll win games.

I don't know why where the team is located would either help or hinder a team winning a championship, unless that team was in Mass. among the Masssholes that wouldn't watch a losing team play. In that case, it's in the NFL's best interest to keep the Pats winning and keep that large market interested in the games.

Topas
10-18-2016, 03:08 AM
I think the Bills will not win a Championship because one of the Niagara Falls is considered Canadian.

Historian
10-18-2016, 06:05 AM
Beat Miami and New England.

Then maybe we'll talk about a winning record.

Until that happens, this is just another Bills team that started out strong, then died before the finish line.

X-Era
10-18-2016, 06:10 AM
I think TT has suffered from having a top ranked run game and from WR injuries. WR may be the top need going into the off-season. But, when given the chance to throw, TT still has shown the ability to get the ball deep and on target.

The NE and Sea games are the litmus test. I fully expect those teams to slow our run game down. What I'd like to see is a spread offense with dink and dunk to keep the front 7 off the line to open up holes. I think Tyrod will be fine in the high percentage short game. Woods and Clay will excel in the short game. Then, as the defense adjusts and moves off the line, the run game will open up. And, as the secondary moves up to cover the shorter routes, we can take shots down field.

What we can't do is expect to run the ball with a limited passing game on these teams and win.

And all of that is based on our defense finding a way to slow Marcia and Wilson.

GreedoII
10-18-2016, 06:43 AM
Question #1.
I have to say that the Bills are playing well but the question remains, can this team's offense beat elite defenses and offenses. In other words can Tyrod step his game up if their offense scheme is taken away?

Question #2.
Do you think that the area can win a championship? I've had this discussion with people over the years and they said that Buffalo doesn't have a landmark or anything that stands out compared to the rest of major cities and falls short in that regard who has nationwide or worldwide attention (not counting Niagara Falls). Is there any truth to this?

Well Sea/Minn/Den/Hou/ seem to do it and are somewhat successful. Ariz may start doing it as well since Johnson is a stud....