PDA

View Full Version : It's odd to know the Bills could beat any team in the NFL

Skooby
10-20-2016, 12:35 PM
I've been watching the other teams and just talking out loud, the Bills can win any game at any field. It's been a long time since I said that but it is what it is. We could also lose as well but the team is improving every game, 29 point wins are not easy in the NFL. I like the foot on neck play to smother our opponents, never stopping.

Go Bills !!

Scumbag College
10-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I agree...I've had time to watch a bunch of other NFL teams and there aren't any really dominating teams. I think a tough defense would really give the Bills trouble, but other than Minnesota and Denver I don't find any NFL defenses really able to win games on their own. NE with Brady will always be tough to beat, but I think the Bills have a better shot than past years to beat them at home.

It wouldn't shock me either if the Bills lost to any of their remaining opponents (except Cleveland) but I don't think there are too many "elite teams" this year. It seems that the teams that have been historically playoff locks the past few years have come back down to earth.

Barb
10-20-2016, 12:58 PM
I've been watching the other teams and just talking out loud, the Bills can win any game at any field. It's been a long time since I said that but it is what it is. We could also lose as well but the team is improving every game, 29 point wins are not easy in the NFL. I like the foot on neck play to smother our opponents, never stopping.

Go Bills !!

is this based on the current 4 game winning streak that featured Carson Palmer, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum and Colin Kaepernick as the opposing QB´s, with 2 games including the west coast team coming east for a 1 pm game ?

Ed
10-20-2016, 01:06 PM
It's always easy to be critical of your own team, but there are a lot of flawed teams out there right now. I just hope we can get healthier on offense because if we start losing guys like McCoy and Woods, it's going to be hard to beat anyone.

Joe Fo Sho
10-20-2016, 01:09 PM
This guys goes from predicting and arguing for a winless season (which has a schedule that consists of the Browns), to claiming we could beat any team in the NFL.

Settle down, I think you're going to hurt yourself.

Skooby
10-20-2016, 01:45 PM
This guys goes from predicting and arguing for a winless season (which has a schedule that consists of the Browns), to claiming we could beat any team in the NFL.

Settle down, I think you're going to hurt yourself.

If you told me we'd have a team in the top 10 on offense / defense / ST I'd call you crazy but crazy is here. Things were not looking bright & Rex must of sold his soul.

Skooby
10-20-2016, 01:46 PM
is this based on the current 4 game winning streak that featured Carson Palmer, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum and Colin Kaepernick as the opposing QB´s, with 2 games including the west coast team coming east for a 1 pm game ?

You mean our team without Sammy and Dareus ?? Arguably our best offense / defensive players.

justasportsfan
10-20-2016, 01:56 PM
I doubt they can beat anyone considering that the NFL is out to get them 0-1 win

Joe Fo Sho
10-20-2016, 03:29 PM
If you told me we'd have a team in the top 10 on offense / defense / ST I'd call you crazy but crazy is here. Things were not looking bright & Rex must of sold his soul.

I know right, who could have thought that a team that has such poor tv ratings would be so good?

trapezeus
10-21-2016, 12:00 PM
I don't see it quite yet. I also didn't see them being 4-2. until TT can carry the load and run plays without having to improvise and can throw the ball before the receiver is open, a good d is going to focus on the run and make TT beat them. when teams have done that, we haven't won. teams that can't stop the run are having difficulties. but if the Indians and cubs get into the world series, pretty much anything can happen for the bills.

stuckincincy
10-21-2016, 11:15 PM
I know right, who could have thought that a team that has such poor tv ratings would be so good?

The NFL has been stung by the talk this year about the play-off drought and Ryan's antics - hurts the brand i.e. the money and the ratings. We here have decried the state of the OL for years, and all of a sudden, they are opening holes that a truck could drive through, despite not having a notable bunch of pass receivers to take the heat away from the run game.

How is this happening?

Ingtar33
10-22-2016, 11:49 PM
until TT can carry the load and run plays without having to improvise and can throw the ball before the receiver is open, a good d is going to focus on the run and make TT beat them.

You'll be waiting a long time then if this is your standard. Tyrod probably will never be this QB

Novacane
10-23-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't believe they can beat NE with Brady in a game NE is trying to win until I see it!

BillsFanCupp38
10-23-2016, 03:03 PM

Go Bills !!

This was a joke, right?

Novacane
10-23-2016, 03:04 PM
And they can lose to any team too

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Yup. **** this team and their mamas.

justasportsfan
10-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Beat any team huh?

MMDs source fails again

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Beat any team huh?

MMDs source fails again

At this point whatever he bets on you should bet the opposite.

Mike13
10-23-2016, 03:43 PM
heh

Skooby
10-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Beat any team huh?

MMDs source fails again

Didnt say we would win, just saying we could.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 07:48 AM
The NFL has been stung by the talk this year about the play-off drought and Ryan's antics - hurts the brand i.e. the money and the ratings. We here have decried the state of the OL for years, and all of a sudden, they are opening holes that a truck could drive through, despite not having a notable bunch of pass receivers to take the heat away from the run game.

How is this happening?

Are you suggesting the NFL rigged in favor of the Bills? That doesn't sound just a tad bit insane to you?

stuckincincy
10-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Are you suggesting the NFL rigged in favor of the Bills? That doesn't sound just a tad bit insane to you?

It would be a tad insane to not think the NFL rigs to suit its pecuniary purposes.

The question remains, though, as to how all of a sudden this OL is looking so good (as of the time of my question)?

My personal opinion is that after several officiating ****-ups last season, the refs are "letting them play." The whole league, I mean.

I see a lot of offensive holding not being flagged this year, same for PI. That's not necessarily a bad thing - some years, they've called lots of ticky-tack stuff that had very little effect on a particular play, but did have an effect on the game's outcome.

If that helps BUF, so be it.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 09:12 AM
It would be a tad insane to not think the NFL rigs to suit its pecuniary purposes.

No it wouldn't. Even if it were, to think they're favoring the Bills is nuts. We've won 4 games, that's not enough to get out your tin foil hat just yet.

The question remains, though, as to how all of a sudden this OL is looking so good (as of the time of my question)?

My personal opinion is that after several officiating ****-ups last season, the refs are "letting them play." The whole league, I mean.

I see a lot of offensive holding not being flagged this year, same for PI. That's not necessarily a bad thing - some years, they've called lots of ticky-tack stuff that had very little effect on a particular play, but did have an effect on the game's outcome.

If that helps BUF, so be it.

What you're describing is a change in officiating philosophy that may or may not be taking place league wide, not a conspiracy to generate revenue. However, if you're not seeing terrible pass interference calls or phantom holding calls in the NFL, you're not looking hard enough. Holding can be called on almost every play, for as long as I can remember.

The total flags per game this year are 8.3 per game per team. Last year that statistic was 8.1 penalties per game per team. There have been, on average, more penalties per game this year than last.

Last year there were 42.41 offensive holding penalties called per week. This year there have been 46.71 offensive holding penalties call per week. Again, a higher number than last year.

Last year there were 14.29 defensive pass interference penalties called per week. This year there have been 18.29 defensive pass interference penalties called per week. That's 4 more flags per week than last year.

Overall, and specifically the 2 penalties you mentioned, there have been more flags thrown this year compared to last. Do you still think there's a conspiracy that favors the Bills or are you just maybe a bit paranoid?

Skooby
10-24-2016, 09:43 AM
No it wouldn't. Even if it were, to think they're favoring the Bills is nuts. We've won 4 games, that's not enough to get out your tin foil hat just yet.

What you're describing is a change in officiating philosophy that may or may not be taking place league wide, not a conspiracy to generate revenue. However, if you're not seeing terrible pass interference calls or phantom holding calls in the NFL, you're not looking hard enough. Holding can be called on almost every play, for as long as I can remember.

The total flags per game this year are 8.3 per game per team. Last year that statistic was 8.1 penalties per game per team. There have been, on average, more penalties per game this year than last.

Last year there were 42.41 offensive holding penalties called per week. This year there have been 46.71 offensive holding penalties call per week. Again, a higher number than last year.

Last year there were 14.29 defensive pass interference penalties called per week. This year there have been 18.29 defensive pass interference penalties called per week. That's 4 more flags per week than last year.

Overall, and specifically the 2 penalties you mentioned, there have been more flags thrown this year compared to last. Do you still think there's a conspiracy that favors the Bills or are you just maybe a bit paranoid?

You're using a half year sample versus a whole year.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 09:46 AM
You're using a half year sample versus a whole year.

Ha, well yeah. The stats are averaged to a per game/week value.

I only have a 7 week sample size for this year, obviously. It's still the same sample size that Cincy has for his claim of shenanigans on the NFL's behalf.

stuckincincy
10-24-2016, 09:50 AM

As to the penalties - they are of course - situational. A holding call on 3rd and 10 from one's own 25 is different that a holding call when you are 3rd and 10 on your opponents. If the raw numbers are up after 7 games, so be it. As the old saying goes, if you torture the data long enough it will confess to anything.

As I said before - the NFL does favor this one or that one time. Some more than others, through the years. Do you recall that tv commercial from a while back - the one where one kid gets a toy pony and the other one gets a real pony? The look on the face of the kid who got the toy? We all have pretty good sensors to detect getting jobbed, from early on.

When I - and certainly many, many others - watch the NFL, we get a feeling for what's going on in a global sense, so to speak. The ebb and flow, perhaps. Football has been played for a long time. I liken it to a four act play that's been running for over a century. The sets, the actors change, the arrangements change, but it's move the ball over the goal line or defend against same.

At risk of receiving another adjective in addition to a tad insane or a tad paranoid, it seems your goal here it to get me to admit that I have definitive proof to hand to you that the Bills are being handed a leg up. I don't, but surely you can't be blind to the NFL's proclivities.

If you have an alternative explanation why the oft-maligned BUF OL is looking better - I'm willing to be educated.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 10:17 AM
As to the penalties - they are of course - situational. A holding call on 3rd and 10 from one's own 25 is different that a holding call when you are 3rd and 10 on your opponents. If the raw numbers are up after 7 games, so be it. As the old saying goes, if you torture the data long enough it will confess to anything.

Spending 5 minutes looking up the actual stats that you claim to have been down this year is not 'torturing the data.' It's simply finding the actual data versus your approach of using your 'personal opinion.' I guess you can pick which method you think is more valid.

My stats don't show when the calls were made and how influential they are, true. Neither does anything your claiming, though.

As I said before - the NFL does favor this one or that one time. Some more than others, through the years. Do you recall that tv commercial from a while back - the one where one kid gets a toy pony and the other one gets a real pony? The look on the face of the kid who got the toy? We all have pretty good sensors to detect getting jobbed, from early on.

When I - and certainly many, many others - watch the NFL, we get a feeling for what's going on in a global sense, so to speak. The ebb and flow, perhaps. Football has been played for a long time. I liken it to a four act play that's been running for over a century. The sets, the actors change, the arrangements change, but it's move the ball over the goal line or defend against same.

You're not really saying anything here, other than trying to showing me how smart you think you are. You're just using the 'personal opinion' approach to try to prove something when the data doesn't show it's there.

At risk of receiving another adjective in addition to a tad insane or a tad paranoid, it seems your goal here it to get me to admit that I have definitive proof to hand to you that the Bills are being handed a leg up. I don't, but surely you can't be blind to the NFL's proclivities.

I am perfectly fine claiming that I am blind to the favoritism that you think the NFL has that is benefiting the Buffalo Bills. I haven't seen the benefit yet. A short winning streak shows nothing in today's NFL. If you want to torture the facts enough, you can try to show a financial benefit to everything that happens in the NFL. That's probably because they make money off of everything that happens.

If you have an alternative explanation why the oft-maligned BUF OL is looking better - I'm willing to be educated.

The Bills offensive line has looked good in 4 out of 7 games. Do you really need an explanation for that? Maybe it's that we had a change in coordinators after week 2, and with that came a change in offensive philosophy. Maybe someone got a little better this year. Maybe Miller's injuries last year were really hindering his performance. Maybe they're more in shape than they were last year. Maybe they understand the offense better this year. Maybe we're designing plays to fit the players better. Maybe the players on the 4 teams we played well against suck. Maybe, just maybe, they simply got better as a unit.

You're right though, maybe the NFL players, coaches, managers, and fans are being subjected to a systematic process of intimidation and manipulation, the likes of which have never been seen before in the history of professional sports in this country. That's certainly the more likely reason why the Buffalo Bills offensive line has looked good in 57% of our games so far this year.

stuckincincy
10-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Spending 5 minutes looking up the actual stats that you claim to have been down this year is not 'torturing the data.' It's simply finding the actual data versus your approach of using your 'personal opinion.' I guess you can pick which method you think is more valid.

Certainly I can voice my personal opinion. And it is possible to discuss things without flinging out snide comments and belittlements. Feel free to declare victory, though.

I'm sorry you never got a pony. :rain:

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry you never got a pony. :rain:

I never asked to be given a pony.

stuckincincy
10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I never asked to be given a pony.

Nor I. But for Christmas back in the heyday of the B&W cowboys and indians flicks and tv shows, I got a plastic figurine of the Lone Ranger atop Trigger.

trapezeus
10-24-2016, 11:25 AM
while the stats show that the penalities are more or less the same, watching only bills games, it seems like there are less penalties. historically, you could complain over the 16 years that the bills were getting hosed. this year, it feels like they are letting both sides of the ball play. and that has been refreshing. but I knew that the penalties were more or less unchanged listening to GR. they are talking about depressed ratings and that most things have not changed other than there being an election and the bears having 4 national games and they suck.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Nor I. But for Christmas back in the heyday of the B&W cowboys and indians flicks and tv shows, I got a plastic figurine of the Lone Ranger atop Trigger.

I got a Lite-Brite one year, it changed my life.

Joe Fo Sho
10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
while the stats show that the penalities are more or less the same, watching only bills games, it seems like there are less penalties. historically, you could complain over the 16 years that the bills were getting hosed. this year, it feels like they are letting both sides of the ball play. and that has been refreshing. but I knew that the penalties were more or less unchanged listening to GR. they are talking about depressed ratings and that most things have not changed other than there being an election and the bears having 4 national games and they suck.

The Bills penalties are down almost 2 penalties per game, so there is some merit to that. I don't know that it has to do with the refs having a different philosophy this year, or the fact that the Bills were the most penalized team in the league last year (tied with the Bucs) and now we're in the middle of the pack (14th most).