PDA

View Full Version : TBN : Long term concern for Aaron Williams...

Mace
10-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Not that it wasn't obvious.

Asked if it was possible Williams could miss extended time this season, Ryan said, “You guys can figure that out. I think we all know the answer."

The next question, then, is if Williams is mulling retirement. He hasn't spoken to media since the injury.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/27/bills-long-term-concern-aaron-williams-rex-ryan-says/

feldspar
10-27-2016, 06:42 PM
****ing Landry Jones. He'll always only be the guy who made this incredibly cheap shot to me...if he wins the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll still define him by this.

And of all the freakin' guys to do this to...Aaron Williams? After what he's already been through in the past year? Absolutely unreal.

Crisis
10-27-2016, 06:44 PM
I hope for his sake he considers retirement. I like him as a player and love him for how he's embraced being a Buffalo Bill, but I don't want to be reading about his health problems 10 years from now.

YardRat
10-27-2016, 06:47 PM
I would have retired Monday AM.

Night Train
10-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Being an old fart, I've seen it before. Robert James was the best CB in the NFL when he shredded his knee and was done at 27. Derrick Burroughs was a top CB and suffered a bad neck injury and was done. If there is any doubt from the Doctors point of view, walk away....while you still can.

YardRat
10-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Burroughs is one of my all-time favorites. Just got to 'lock down' when he was injured.

Mace
10-27-2016, 07:08 PM
****ing Landry Jones. He'll always only be the guy who made this incredibly cheap shot to me...if he wins the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll still define him by this.

And of all the freakin' guys to do this to...Aaron Williams? After what he's already been through in the past year? Absolutely unreal.

Have a feeling it was a matter of time though, same as Karlos Williams will get concussed again, same as Shady will be bothered by a hamstring.

No excuse for Landry's hit, but Aaron might want to walk away at this point.

feldspar
10-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Have a feeling it was a matter of time though, same as Karlos Williams will get concussed again, same as Shady will be bothered by a hamstring.

No excuse for Landry's hit, but Aaron might want to walk away at this point.

Disagree.

It wasn't a matter of time. Most guys can play forever and NEVER get a shot like that with no chance to react, cheap and dirty or not.

****ing Landry Jones...

Mace
10-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Disagree.

It wasn't a matter of time. Most guys can play forever and NEVER get a shot like that with no chance to react, cheap and dirty or not.

****ing Landry Jones...

You can disagree and that's fine, but Williams already had a nearly catastrophic collision in his resume and he wasn't going to make it far as a safety without more of them ahead, either giving or receiving. Most guys didn't have a 50/50 shot of ever playing again after last year, and it was Williams who said that.

feldspar
10-27-2016, 11:04 PM
You can disagree and that's fine, but Williams already had a nearly catastrophic collision in his resume and he wasn't going to make it far as a safety without more of them ahead, either giving or receiving. Most guys didn't have a 50/50 shot of ever playing again after last year, and it was Williams who said that.

So you are saying that it's only at matter of time before lightening strikes twice in the same place, or that the same type freak accident should happen to the same person...even though this time it clearly was no accident?

Sounds like where you are going with this.

Aaron Williams was back, and he was just another player before this viscous unnecessary hit. That hit alone could **** somebody's career up for good. Still hope he's OK, and it wasn't as bad as it looked. But this has got to do some **** to his confidence at the very least, I'd say.

****ing Landry Jones...

BTW, I bet you are a huge fan of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Seems to be right up your alley. I'm reading it again now. Read the five books if you haven't...

kingJofNYC
10-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Hope he retires, not worth it, take the money you've made and call it a day, do something else.

Topas
10-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Burroughs is one of my all-time favorites. Just got to 'lock down' when he was injured.

did some research. wow.

https://tspnnews.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/derek-burroughs-erased-from-history/

It is a common feeling that I am embarrassed to be a Bills fan. But usually this is because the tem sucks.
This is way more embarassing.

Night Train
10-28-2016, 06:30 AM
did some research. wow.

It is a common feeling that I am embarrassed to be a Bills fan. But usually this is because the tem sucks.
This is way more embarassing.

Ralph is dead.

OpIv37
10-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Being an old fart, I've seen it before. Robert James was the best CB in the NFL when he shredded his knee and was done at 27. Derrick Burroughs was a top CB and suffered a bad neck injury and was done. If there is any doubt from the Doctors point of view, walk away....while you still can.

I think there's a difference here though. Injuries like that are part of sports and always will be. The Nationals have a great catcher named Wilson Ramos, but at the end of the regular season, he jumped to catch a high throw to the plate, landed awkwardly and shredded his knee. He may never be able to catch again. It sucks, but it's reality and it's even more common in contact sports like football.

The difference is that Williams is out due to a cheap shot. it was intentional and there was no reason for it.

The only way to make it stop is to make the offender sit until the victim can play again, and if the victim is forced to retire, it's a one year mandated vacation.

feldspar
10-28-2016, 08:12 AM
The difference is that Williams is out due to a cheap shot. it was intentional and there was no reason for it.

The only way to make it stop is to make the offender sit until the victim can play again, and if the victim is forced to retire, it's a one year mandated vacation.

I'd be all for that.

The King
10-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Guys the NFL fined Landry 25K. So it's all balanced out.

Topas
10-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Ralph is dead.

right, so the guys in charge can send an apology now and invite him with the team

trapezeus
10-28-2016, 12:20 PM
didn't landry get a 15 yard penalty for spinning the ball earlier in the game and noted that that was one of 2 strikes before he was to be expelled from the game? but he nearly kills a defenseless guy and its 15 yards and play on. the nfl priorities on some things are crazy. and to prove I'm not being a homer, two weeks ago, shady had a run where he improvised and cut back across the field. two different bills had opportunities to lay guys out, but they engaged in clean blocks to the chest. it was still strong blocking and wow moment, but they didn't take anyone's livelihood from them. I also hope A. Williams calls it a career. he did a good job, he seems like a good dude in his interviews.

OpIv37
10-28-2016, 12:49 PM
I read somewhere that there were two penalties on the play and the Bills accepted the other one, which is why Jones wasn't ejected for the second personal. I'm not sure if that's correct, though.

trapezeus
10-28-2016, 01:00 PM
they accepted the landry penalty. they let the other one go. frankly, if landry doesn't drop that hit, they score a td, and its a close game from the get go. we aren't talking about how we had the lead into the 4th. it would have been a battle all game.

Victor7
10-28-2016, 01:30 PM
I hope for his sake he considers retirement. I like him as a player and love him for how he's embraced being a Buffalo Bill, but I don't want to be reading about his health problems 10 years from now.

This. Word for word.

paladin warrior
10-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Fish Breath will play at Buffalo on Dec 24 ,, CB will pay him back with knock him out "Jarvis Landry " or Knock his teeth out.. I don't care he get 15 yard penalty

stuckincincy
10-28-2016, 03:39 PM
A team in the constant hunt for a qb picks him as the second pick in the 2nd round 2011 just before Dalton... :shoothead:

Mace
10-28-2016, 05:40 PM
So you are saying that it's only at matter of time before lightening strikes twice in the same place, or that the same type freak accident should happen to the same person...even though this time it clearly was no accident?

Sounds like where you are going with this.

Aaron Williams was back, and he was just another player before this viscous unnecessary hit. That hit alone could **** somebody's career up for good. Still hope he's OK, and it wasn't as bad as it looked. But this has got to do some **** to his confidence at the very least, I'd say.

****ing Landry Jones...

BTW, I bet you are a huge fan of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Seems to be right up your alley. I'm reading it again now. Read the five books if you haven't...

No, I'm saying his first injury made him likelier to have another. His first injury was very bad, he had numbness, a neck surgery, and a 50/50 chance of coming back. This injury, he is said to again be experiencing numbness. In a violent contact sport, as a safety, it's very likely he had lots of crushing impacts ahead. A huge number of them he'd have delivered on purpose.

If you know anyone with back or neck related problems, they nearly always (but not always obviously), end in nagging, chronic issues susceptible to circumstances similar to the original injury....because the brain to spine, nerves to muscles, previously damaged bone relations are the most complex the body has to offer, and the people you know with them likely don't play violent contact sports.

As examples of injuries resulting in progressively degrading injuries you can look at Romo, Chad Pennington and his shoulder, concussions, even chronic hamstring issues. Head, neck and back trauma just isn't "they'll be fine" kind of stuff. He wasn't just another player, he was a player with a nearly catastrophic neck injury in his resume.

I hope he's ok too, forgetting about football, just for living his life, kind of alarming to read he's got the numbness (believe it was Gilmore said it).

I really need to read Hitchhiker. I always loved Brit comedy back to Monty Python, Two Ronnies, Reginald Perrin, and remember the old tv series of it. Good eye.

swiper
10-28-2016, 05:45 PM

BurroughsandRobertJamesbothsucked.JamesisoneofthemostoverratedBillsevertoweartheuniform.Hesuckedterribly.TonyGreene?Differentstory.

Mace
10-28-2016, 06:52 PM
BurroughsandRobertJamesbothsucked.JamesisoneofthemostoverratedBillsevertoweartheuniform.Hesuckedterribly.TonyGreene?Differentstory.

Can't really agree. I thought Burroughs improved pretty well and liked James. Up to a certain point (and it wasn't that point), I always thought the Bills had a solid tradition of players you didn't ever worry about at DB & RB, and mostly WR. Burroughs played in a really mean era of QB's where RB's were still more of a potent weapon.

The modern era of elites was evolution. I can't imagine what some of those guys could have done with a modern passing era imbalance. Kelly, Montana, Elway, Marino, Fouts, Montana, Moon and company were slinging with the expectation of balanced offense, colleges were turning out pro-style db's (as opposed to now with college so spread oriented), and the db's had more balanced purpose.

feldspar
10-28-2016, 08:29 PM
I really need to read Hitchhiker. I always loved Brit comedy back to Monty Python, Two Ronnies, Reginald Perrin, and remember the old tv series of it. Good eye.

Enough morbid ****.

Read the Hitchhiker's to the Galaxy series.

It's all right here...I'm reading this PDF on my IPad now. Absolutely entertaining read, which I venture to say will be right up you alley. Almost guaranteed you'll love it.

Check it out:

http://jaydixit.com/files/PDFs/TheultimateHitchhikersGuide.pdf

Whole thing is right there, I think. I'm on the third book already. Well worth your time, I'd say. Dunno your situation, but you can check it out with the link as an experiment, and maybe get the books from the library if you have to sit at your computer (and don't want to) to read the PDF or something.

Just trying to help...

YardRat
10-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Agree on Tony Greene. Vehemently disagree on Burroughs and James.

YardRat
10-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Hitchhiker's is the bomb, btw. The entire series sits prominently in my part of the library. I may just pull them out and re-read them myself now.

feldspar
10-29-2016, 06:16 AM
Hitchhiker's is the bomb, btw. The entire series sits prominently in my part of the library. I may just pull them out and re-read them myself now.

That's my boy...

pmoon6
10-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Derrick Burroughs, the former Buffalo Bill was drafted in 1985 as the 14th overall pick in the first round out of The University of Memphis. Derrick Burroughs has had a remarkable football career which ended tragically with a neck injury during a Monday Night Football Game on September 24, 1989 against the Houston Oilers. Derrick Burroughs, the coach always tells his players to keep your head up while making a tackle because Burroughs knows exactly the consequences for not keeping your head up while making a tackle. On September 24, 1989 Burroughs did not keep his head up and this caused his neck to be pushed forward unnaturally and his spine to be severely damaged. Derrick Burroughs’s body went totally limp and Burroughs fell to the ground. Derrick Burroughs found himself paralyzed for over 24 hours. Derrick Burroughs would never play another game of football. The Buffalo Bills would go on to play in four straight Super Bowls from 1991-1994 and Derrick Burroughs had to watch the team play on television. You would think the Bills would have had a “win this one for Derrick Burroughs mentality”. The Buffalo Bills however, would not even pay his medical bills which then forced Derrick Burroughs to sue the Buffalo Bills in court. After many years in he courts, Derrick Burroughs finally won a judgement against the Buffalo Bills. Derrick Burroughs story seems unbelievable and there really seems to be no logical explanation.

The seamy underbelly of the NFL and Ralph Wilson's tenure as owner. The players are disposable warriors to the owners and the NFL. You have to ask the question why his teammates didn't raise a stink? Maybe fans should think of this the next time a player holds out or think of what kind of BS goes on in a sport they support financially.

To be fair, George Halas paid all of Brian Piccolo's medical bills when he got cancer even though he was not obligated to do so.

Mace
10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Enough morbid ****.

Read the Hitchhiker's to the Galaxy series.

It's all right here...I'm reading this PDF on my IPad now. Absolutely entertaining read, which I venture to say will be right up you alley. Almost guaranteed you'll love it.

Check it out:

http://jaydixit.com/files/PDFs/TheultimateHitchhikersGuide.pdf

Whole thing is right there, I think. I'm on the third book already. Well worth your time, I'd say. Dunno your situation, but you can check it out with the link as an experiment, and maybe get the books from the library if you have to sit at your computer (and don't want to) to read the PDF or something.

Just trying to help...

Bookmarked, will give it a shot.