PDA

View Full Version : Thought the defense looked better, maybe not so much.

Mace
11-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Rex Ryan vowed that his defense would improve this season, and it looked like a formidable unit during a four-game winning streak. But overall, the stats look pretty much the same halfway through the season.

True, they're tied for the NFL lead in sacks with 26 after accumulating just 21 a year ago. Ryan has clearly gotten his players to buy into his pass rushing scheme. But most of the other numbers are pretty similar to last season.

Overall, they're 16th in the NFL in total defense, yielding 360.2 a game. A year ago, they were 19th, allowing 356.4 yards a game. The yards per play is identical at 5.6. First down allowed are up (to 21 a game from 20) They're a little better against the run (4.1 a carry as opposed to 4.4), and a little worse in yards per pass attempt (6.7 to 6.4).

Heading into Sunday, they had allowed just four TD passes. Brady doubled that in the Pats' win. A year ago, they allowed 30 TD passes, so that's a major improvement. In the most important stat, points allowed, they've improved to 21.5 points a game, down from 22.4. Over the last two weeks, however, the Bills have allowed 69 points and 811 yards, which makes you wonder if they're really much better.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/10/31/want-bucks-take-blame/

Improvement in sacks and less passing TD's are huge, but nothing else is much different. Dareus will help, but they have a rough schedule of experienced QB/coaching tandems ahead, which I always thought was an issue for Ryan defenses.

They do look more cohesive though, on the same page. Still, I thought the stats would be more steadily productive than last year, surprised me.

kingJofNYC
11-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, advanced stats are showing the d is crappy, not getting any turnovers, number are mediocre to ****. I thought the front 7 played alright last week, made Brady move around, too bad we couldn't cover **** in the back end.

Luisito23
11-01-2016, 10:27 PM
The defense never got better, they just got lucky and played some sorry ass QBs during that fake run...

kingJofNYC
11-01-2016, 10:29 PM
The big problem, outside of the Miami game, were the D was gashed up front, has been the secondary. So many big plays.

Mace
11-01-2016, 10:36 PM
You'd think with far more sacks and far less passing td's, they'd have reduced a bunch of stats. It looks peculiar.