• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

rodak tweet on how they picked up harvin

Whaley said that the idea was suggested by overdorf, the bean counter. so for the people who say russ isn't involved because he's purely marketing and president, that's a joke. they are doing this stuff by committee. and bad idea's from more senior positions are ushered into reality. and that is the reason no one who actually has succeeded elsewhere wants to come here. they know they have to please a group of bureaucrats. this should hae been the first fix by the pegula's. however, they are letting it linger
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: rodak tweet on how they picked up harvin

From Overdorf's perspective, does the $1m they are paying Harvin now in anyway reduce/offset amounts owed to Harvin under his prior contract?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Who care's who suggested it? It was still Whaley's decision to make. He could have told Overdorf to pound salt. How many decisions has Overdorf tried to make that never happened?

You guys act like you've never worked with other departments at your job to make a decision. Anyone can suggest anything, that doesn't mean that person has the authority to make the decision. If Whaley didn't like it, he didn't have to sign him.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Anyone who chooses to believe that Brandon & Overdorf are not involved in personnel decisions are just blind.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
          He (Whaley) could have told Overdorf to pound salt.
          No he couldn't. That's flagrantly false.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            No he couldn't. That's flagrantly false.
            How do you know that?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              Whaley said that the idea was suggested by overdorf, the bean counter. so for the people who say russ isn't involved because he's purely marketing and president, that's a joke. they are doing this stuff by committee. and bad idea's from more senior positions are ushered into reality. and that is the reason no one who actually has succeeded elsewhere wants to come here. they know they have to please a group of bureaucrats. this should hae been the first fix by the pegula's. however, they are letting it linger
              It was a good idea. Who cares who thought of it?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                It was a good idea. Who cares who thought of it?
                Exactly.

It just shows that with every move the Bills make, someone is going to try and blame Russ Brandon for it. Even if it hasn't been proven to be a bad move. For corn's sake, look what just happened. The Bills just signed a 28 year old receiver to a small contract that at least has the potential to be a respectable move. The idea to do this was put in Whaley's ear by someone not named Russ Brandon, yet it somehow proves that Russ Brandon is to blame for the problems that the Bills have right now.

So if Percy Harvin has a good season (which is obviously a long shot), are people going to give credit to Brandon and this supposed 'committee' that the Bills have to run the team?

Whose idea was it to sign Lorenzo?
                Whose idea was it to sign Incognito?
                Who wanted Zach Brown?
                Who wanted to resign Glenn?
                Can we still blame Rex for drafting someone who needed shoulder surgery in the 1st round?
                Are we still blaming Russ for trading for Shady now that he's proved to be what's holding this offense together?

We need answers people. I have to know who to aim my pitchfork at this week.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

So his name is actually Russ Brandon Overdorf?
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

companies get evaluated at the CEO level and major issues like say missing earnings for 16 years straight doesn't fall just on the peons. the CEO and people associated to the failures don't move up. he has. the Brandon supporters will never be convinced that he is a huge reason we can't move forward.

whaley should be driving the decision making and going to the cap guy to see if it works. the cap guy shouldn't come to him with the idea. that is what total control means for a GM. This process to protect guys who have been with the team forever seems to be protected.

and regardless of where you fall on this, you seriously think harvin is going to play more than 4 games? you think he's not going to retire after the season. he's going to collect his check because the team is in dire need and walk again. if he goes on to be a prolific WR at a small cost, then great. i'll happily admit I'm wrong.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

the difference between the fans who get that russ and his band of bureacrats are the problem vs those who make his excuses for him ends up being the realist vs optimist debate. In no way do I expect this team to be anything but a middling team until they change the structure. as long as that structure is there, you won't get the best people. that is sadly the unfortunate realistic outlook. the outlook is to miss the playoffs until they are gone.

and those who make excuses, see optimism and then get deflated by this time in November hoping maybe a coaching change or GM change will do it. those guys are set up to fail. it truly is untenable and to have bills fans not see this is outrageous. how many coaches do we have to go through and GM changes and owner changes does it take before people realize the guys who have been here all along are the ones holding the team back?

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                        Exactly.

It just shows that with every move the Bills make, someone is going to try and blame Russ Brandon for it. Even if it hasn't been proven to be a bad move. For corn's sake, look what just happened. The Bills just signed a 28 year old receiver to a small contract that at least has the potential to be a respectable move. The idea to do this was put in Whaley's ear by someone not named Russ Brandon, yet it somehow proves that Russ Brandon is to blame for the problems that the Bills have right now.

So if Percy Harvin has a good season (which is obviously a long shot), are people going to give credit to Brandon and this supposed 'committee' that the Bills have to run the team?

Whose idea was it to sign Lorenzo?
                        Whose idea was it to sign Incognito?
                        Who wanted Zach Brown?
                        Who wanted to resign Glenn?
                        Can we still blame Rex for drafting someone who needed shoulder surgery in the 1st round?
                        Are we still blaming Russ for trading for Shady now that he's proved to be what's holding this offense together?

We need answers people. I have to know who to aim my pitchfork at this week.
                        and all these changes still have a team that isn't good enough. we are aiming to make the playoffs while other teams are looking for a SB. tactically you can say certain things worked. personally, improvements on D have come with Whaley. but he doesn't have it on O. the strategic shortfall falls on leadership.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

companies get evaluated at the CEO level and major issues like say missing earnings for 16 years straight doesn't fall just on the peons. the CEO and people associated to the failures don't move up. he has. the Brandon supporters will never be convinced that he is a huge reason we can't move forward.

whaley should be driving the decision making and going to the cap guy to see if it works. the cap guy shouldn't come to him with the idea. that is what total control means for a GM. This process to protect guys who have been with the team forever seems to be protected.

and regardless of where you fall on this, you seriously think harvin is going to play more than 4 games? you think he's not going to retire after the season. he's going to collect his check because the team is in dire need and walk again. if he goes on to be a prolific WR at a small cost, then great. i'll happily admit I'm wrong.
                          But from a CEO perspective the Bills have continually hit or exceeded their earnings mark for the last 16 years despite a poor product. In a business sense, the CEO isn't going to get the blame if the profits are good but some of the products are failing. They're simply going to bring in new product managers to try and get things back on track. As long as that bottom line stays black the CEO will be considered to be doing a good job.

I don't think the CEO angle is a good analogy for the point you're trying to make.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

and all these changes still have a team that isn't good enough. we are aiming to make the playoffs while other teams are looking for a SB. tactically you can say certain things worked. personally, improvements on D have come with Whaley. but he doesn't have it on O.
                            Which decisions did Russ make and which ones did Whaley make? I'm confused. How did you come to the conclusion that Whaley deserves defensive credit while Russ deserves blame?

the strategic shortfall falls on leadership.
                            I agree, Pegula should be held responsible.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

the difference between the fans who get that russ and his band of bureacrats are the problem vs those who make his excuses for him ends up being the realist vs optimist debate. In no way do I expect this team to be anything but a middling team until they change the structure. as long as that structure is there, you won't get the best people. that is sadly the unfortunate realistic outlook. the outlook is to miss the playoffs until they are gone.
                              and those who make excuses, see optimism and then get deflated by this time in November hoping maybe a coaching change or GM change will do it. those guys are set up to fail. it truly is untenable and to have bills fans not see this is outrageous. how many coaches do we have to go through and GM changes and owner changes does it take before people realize the guys who have been here all along are the ones holding the team back?
                              So if you're trying to lump us all into these 2 groups of realists vs optimists...where do I fall in?

- I want to cut Tyrod
                              - I think we'll struggle to get to 6 wins this year
                              - I think that this team pretty much sucks

Maybe it isn't as cut and dry as you think? I don't care if Russ Brandon stays or goes. I just think that calling for the head of a guy who is clearly doing his job and doing it quite well is absurd. If you want to blame someone, blame the guy who put him in that position. It's the same guy who already said that Russ is running the business end of the team and is not involved in football personnel decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X