Like it or not, Lynn weighs in on passing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Like it or not, Lynn weighs in on passing...

"At times when we do have to pass it, when I evaluate the tape, the ball is going where it's supposed to go," Lynn said. "What I do is I go back and I look at the game tape and I look at the (route) concepts and see if they're sound and look at the quarterback play and see if the ball is going where it's supposed to go and on time. And he's done a pretty good job of that.
    For better or worse they don't want a QB as we all want a QB to be (yeah, me too). Makes me queasy, but confirms what I always argue, they're not going after a QB to slug it out in the passing game. I don't see this ending well.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Like it or not, Lynn weighs in on passing...

Unfortunately it isn't going where it's supposed to go with nearly enough accuracy and consistency. If the passing game is failing (which it is) and schematically the film is showing that the plays are working as intended, than the only reason left for it failing is execution by the players, most importantly the QB. Hell, I could probably learn this offense well enough to throw the ball in the right direction at the right time, but my noodle arm isn't going to get it there on target for a completion.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

#doomed

Comment

• Mace
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Unfortunately it isn't going where it's supposed to go with nearly enough accuracy and consistency. If the passing game is failing (which it is) and schematically the film is showing that the plays are working as intended, than the only reason left for it failing is execution by the players, most importantly the QB. Hell, I could probably learn this offense well enough to throw the ball in the right direction at the right time, but my noodle arm isn't going to get it there on target for a completion.
        More likely your luxurious locks won't let you see the field of play stuffed into a helmet.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

This is what I feel where Tyrod has actually improved in the first half of the season: the decisions on where to go with the ballis getting better and better. To YardRat, it is not a skill everyone has -- you dont't have the luxury of sitting in a couch to decide to scan the field, and you have to feel the pressure and buy some time if necessary (this is the area so obvious that Tyrod improved THIS year, i.e. not abandoning the play so soon like he was last year).

Having said that, you can also see the lack of pinpoint accuracy (in slants for example), the over/under throws on long balls, the high throws or too hard in short passes etc. I bet those might not be Tyrod's best skill set; some maybe compensations for his height.

To me, the jury is still out on Tyrod - I don't see a definite no on him yet. Last year he did well with his leg, outside throws and long balls. The leagure adjusted to him by taking those things away. He counter adjusted 8 games so far this season, had some success, but not to a consistent level that we can live with yet. If you are expecting him to achieve Brady's 3rd down completion level against the Bills, you are dreaming. But you want him to get the 3rd completion to 40%.

Comment

• Mace
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            To me, the jury is still out on Tyrod - I don't see a definite no on him yet. Last year he did well with his leg, outside throws and long balls. The leagure adjusted to him by taking those things away. He counter adjusted 8 games so far this season, had some success, but not to a consistent level that we can live with yet.
            The problem I have with this, is this past Monday night I saw Dak Prescott & Carson Wentz directing their offense with more authority as rookies than I have seen Taylor do. They were pointing out and adjusting to coverages, directing line movement and commanding their respective offenses with a degree of confidence I don't see in Taylor. You see him executing plays or trying to, you don't see him comfortable and decisive in the plays he's running.

That's going to make his supporters cranky, but you know it's true. You aren't seeing a QB running an offense, you're seeing an offense running a QB ?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

What a ****ing joke. I can't wait until Rex Ryan is fires. It's a mother ****ing passing league.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              This is what I feel where Tyrod has actually improved in the first half of the season: the decisions on where to go with the ballis getting better and better. To YardRat, it is not a skill everyone has -- you dont't have the luxury of sitting in a couch to decide to scan the field, and you have to feel the pressure and buy some time if necessary (this is the area so obvious that Tyrod improved THIS year, i.e. not abandoning the play so soon like he was last year).

Having said that, you can also see the lack of pinpoint accuracy (in slants for example), the over/under throws on long balls, the high throws or too hard in short passes etc. I bet those might not be Tyrod's best skill set; some maybe compensations for his height.

To me, the jury is still out on Tyrod - I don't see a definite no on him yet. Last year he did well with his leg, outside throws and long balls. The leagure adjusted to him by taking those things away. He counter adjusted 8 games so far this season, had some success, but not to a consistent level that we can live with yet. If you are expecting him to achieve Brady's 3rd down completion level against the Bills, you are dreaming. But you want him to get the 3rd completion to 40%.
              You're crazy. Tyrod sucks.

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

I'm yet to see Tyrod in year two show a dominating passing game. Yes, he can hit some long throws here and there, but everything else is dismal. If the Bills want to win with Trent Dilfer or one of Washingtons old QB's, its not the easy way to do it.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Gibby
                  • Jun 2006

Nearer my God to thee, nearer my God to thee. . . .

Sorry, I thought the song was appropriate.*

*look up Titanic's band
                  Last edited by Generalissimus Gibby; 11-05-2016, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                    • Apr 2005

Defenses have zero fear of Tyrod Taylors passing abilities. It's been said over and over ..contain him , and don't let him run. He is not a duel threat.
                    So teams look to take an early lead...force Buffalo to pass. They can't and game over. This team isn't set up to be a come back type team.
                    Tyrod = The Bill's version of Mark Sanchez.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Tyrod is a RB wearing a QB number. Go get a real QB. But Doug Whaley can't do it. So get rid of Doug Whaley.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I hate to say it, but the passing game isn't the reason the team lost the last 2 games.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

tyrod sucks

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Like it or not, the Bills offense is currently 8th in the NFL in scoring, after finishing 12th in scoring last year. The last time the O scored this much was 2004. Except for 2011, teams since 2000 haven't been close to scoring this much.

Right now..they are on pace (I use that term very loosely) to score more than 400 points..something they haven't done since the 90's.

If they score through running, or through passing..idk.

As far as the NE game...well..at least 3 20+ yard passes dropped 2 TD's dropped, a pass that Powell didn't get to because he was running sideways for the last 10 yards..all playing with injured starters and a bunch a 3rd stringers. Drop those type of passes against the 3rd best team in teh league in scoring...you're not going to score that much.

As far as improving on the Qb position...well...stop rebuilding the defense every other year. There are 2 in this thread who were all in on using the top picks on D 7 players (my mock had the Bills taking Paxton Lynch, btw). The top 5 picks in the past 2 drafts went to the D.

You can't whine about the QB position if you're not willing to put in the effort to get a franchise guy.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                              Like it or not, the Bills offense is currently 8th in the NFL in scoring, after finishing 12th in scoring last year. The last time the O scored this much was 2004. Except for 2011, teams since 2000 haven't been close to scoring this much.

Right now..they are on pace (I use that term very loosely) to score more than 400 points..something they haven't done since the 90's.

If they score through running, or through passing..idk.

As far as the NE game...well..at least 3 20+ yard passes dropped 2 TD's dropped, a pass that Powell didn't get to because he was running sideways for the last 10 yards..all playing with injured starters and a bunch a 3rd stringers. Drop those type of passes against the 3rd best team in teh league in scoring...you're not going to score that much.

As far as improving on the Qb position...well...stop rebuilding the defense every other year. There are 2 in this thread who were all in on using the top picks on D 7 players (my mock had the Bills taking Paxton Lynch, btw). The top 5 picks in the past 2 drafts went to the D.

You can't whine about the QB position if you're not willing to put in the effort to get a franchise guy.
                              Firstly, the offense has gone because McCoy has been going. Except those last two games (where McCoy was hurt). This offense goes as McCoy goes. Pure & simple.

Secondly, they went all in on Drew Bledsoe and couldn't even get that (putting in the effort to get a franchise guy). IIRC they dumped Bledsoe for JP Losman's awesomeness.

McCoy is the only star this team has.
                              Last edited by swiper; 11-05-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X