PDA

View Full Version : 7 games left - Bills Going Forward

Mahdi
11-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Sitting at 4-5 its certainly not ideal and really its an underachievement for the talent on the roster.

That being said that talent has not been available.

Going forward the Bills will get some serious help back - with Watkins and Dareus coming back. Plus some banged up guys getting healthier (McCoy, Alexander, Hughes, Clay and Cordy Glenn) and some of the new guys having time to carve out bigger roles like Harvin, Hunter and Shaq Lawson who looks like a beast.

Now if we add to that Tyrod's progression last night as a passer and the Bills are going to be a team no one wants to play.

Our front 7 is maybe the best in the league right now, we are unpredictable on offense and we'll be healthier and rested.

Should be interesting if nothing else in the final stretch.

trapezeus
11-08-2016, 08:22 AM
this team's worst scenario is to get hot in the last 7. they are a weak team and led by a poor in game coach with a front office more interested in selling tickets than building a real winner. having the team get 4-5 wins would be good for the pegulas to see that they were sold a bag of crap and move on. if they win 7 games or more, rex and whaley and the FO will lean on the injuries and say, "we're so close". we know this team isn't any good. deep down we all know this about this roster.

Ingtar33
11-08-2016, 08:24 AM
we basically will need to win out or go 6-1 to make the playoffs. likely win out since our AFC record is so bad.

Night Train
11-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Hey Cardale Jones, your 2017 tryout is coming.

So I hope...

Mahdi
11-08-2016, 08:31 AM
this team's worst scenario is to get hot in the last 7. they are a weak team and led by a poor in game coach with a front office more interested in selling tickets than building a real winner. having the team get 4-5 wins would be good for the pegulas to see that they were sold a bag of crap and move on. if they win 7 games or more, rex and whaley and the FO will lean on the injuries and say, "we're so close". we know this team isn't any good. deep down we all know this about this roster.

That's fair to look at it that way I just don't agree with it...

The Bills roster is solid, we have good young players, they signed some very nice veteran players to strengthen the core and the depth.

Rex Ryan is a good football coach, A.Lynn looks like a bright and sharp mind and Rob Ryan takes a lot of crap but he is a good defensive mind.

This team is close and ripping it all up and starting over only to go through this whole process again would be a disaster.

BillsOwnAll
11-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Just for sake of argument... are we 6-3 if Lynn is OC First two games ?

- - - Updated - - -

Mahdi
11-08-2016, 08:34 AM
we basically will need to win out or go 6-1 to make the playoffs. likely win out since our AFC record is so bad.

True and its not impossible. Hard but not impossible especially with the additions to the roster we're getting and assuming Tryod maintains his level of play from last night.

chris66
11-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Bills have 4 conf. losses can only afford 1 more. 5 conf losses seems to be the limit for playoffs

Buffalogic
11-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Every game left is an AFC opponent. We can turn that record around if we play well. All very beatable teams.

justasportsfan
11-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Sitting at 4-5 its certainly not ideal and really its an underachievement for the talent on the roster.

That being said that talent has not been available.

Going forward the Bills will get some serious help back - with Watkins and Dareus coming back. Plus some banged up guys getting healthier (McCoy, Alexander, Hughes, Clay and Cordy Glenn) and some of the new guys having time to carve out bigger roles like Harvin, Hunter and Shaq Lawson who looks like a beast.

Now if we add to that Tyrod's progression last night as a passer and the Bills are going to be a team no one wants to play.

Our front 7 is maybe the best in the league right now, we are unpredictable on offense and we'll be healthier and rested.

Should be interesting if nothing else in the final stretch.

Either our defensive coaches or our system suck because we cant stop crappy offenses. My guess is BOTH

The Jokeman
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Either our defensive coaches or our system suck because we cant stop crappy offenses. My guess is BOTH

Bad Safety play is killing us of late and the stupid decision to lineup are diminutive nickelback against BIG TEs like Gronk and Jimmy Graham.

DynaPaul
11-08-2016, 10:58 AM
It depends on how the refs feel about us as was apparent from last night.

trapezeus
11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Mahdi, I get your point. mine is that I think we have seen the ceiling. to pretend that next year could be markedly better because we are healthy seems foolish. this roster and coaching mentality has not found consistency. even in the wins, they were skating by on letting teams stay in it until the bitter end. tyrod can be as good as last night, but he still hasn't had a come from behind win. that is the story of the team, average. and its frankly not good enough. but I've said in other threads, that rebuilds need a full gutting of Brandon on down and bring in real pro's who have experience and can let a gm run the player and coach selecation as they see fit

Mahdi
11-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Mahdi, I get your point. mine is that I think we have seen the ceiling. to pretend that next year could be markedly better because we are healthy seems foolish. this roster and coaching mentality has not found consistency. even in the wins, they were skating by on letting teams stay in it until the bitter end. tyrod can be as good as last night, but he still hasn't had a come from behind win. that is the story of the team, average. and its frankly not good enough. but I've said in other threads, that rebuilds need a full gutting of Brandon on down and bring in real pro's who have experience and can let a gm run the player and coach selecation as they see fit

Fair enough, still think though that without arguably our two best players and injuries to several others throughout the last three losses its impossible to determine our ceiling.

Yesterday showed us that the team has other good players and that Tyrod has more to offer than we thought.

The defense just needs to improve in the secondary IMO to become elite.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-08-2016, 04:08 PM
I thought before the season that we could improve on both sides of the ball and still finish worse because of the schedule. So far that seems to be bearing out.

Victor7
11-08-2016, 05:28 PM
We can only afford one more loss. And that still won't guarantee a spot in January football.

We still have to visit both Cincy and Oakland. The Bengals have not missed the playoffs since Andy Dalton took over and have beaten us the last 3 or 4 times we've faced them. The Raiders are 6-2 lads. They trail the Pats and that's it. Not impossible but certainly in the ballpark

Add to that having to play Pitt with most likely a fully healthy Roethlisberger.

The "easy" games are the Jets on the road. They took us at home. The Jags beat us last year remember ? We should beat them. Then again we also could've beaten them last year. Even with EJ. Dolphins who also beat us and the Brownies.

There's more than one loss there. Probably more than 2.

Its over.

Mace
11-08-2016, 06:05 PM
We're in 12th place in playoff standing atm. Oakland, KC, Denver are all in with 4, 4, and 3 more conference wins than us (the bottom spots KC and Denver have 2 more wins straight up). 6 conference losses is the limit of playoff teams going back to 2010.

So we'd have to go at least 5-2 (I don't see them going 6-1, even 5-2 is a reach), while Oakland doesn't win more than 2 more games, KC & Denver don't win more than 3, and Pittsburgh, doesn't win more than three other conference games (Cleveland twice, Indy, Baltimore at home, Cinci) because they're two ahead of us.

I don't see that happening.

Progress to me would be becoming able to execute a hurry up offense when required, at least getting back into the top 10 in defense (with the corners getting their game back), cutting down on the penalties, beating the teams they should be able to beat (Jacksonville, Cleveland, Miami, Jets), and one of the better teams (Cinci, Oakland, Pittsburgh) to reach what I figured was their ceiling of 9-7 in preseason.

Beating two of the better teams and losing to two of the not better teams would not indicate a consistent progress to me. It would indicate they're not stable and growing after 2 years of system.

Turf
11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
The NFL blows. The league is going downhill big time. If not for fantasy football it would lose 50% of its ratings.

The Beef
11-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Only loss this team can afford is to Oaklan or Pittsburg.

Hopefully Tyrod turned a corner. That's a big if.

Every game is winnable, the thing is every game has been winnable outside of the 2nd NE game.

We have to have the worst record by games decided by 6 points or less, which is typically a toss up based on analytics.

Basically we need to pull out close wins vs Oakland Cincy, Pittsburgh and Miami to break even on thr 6 point or less theory. We're liable for a double digit loss in all of these games. Cleveland, NYJ and Jacksonville are all must wins, and that's not a guarantee.

Need a hot streak like McGahee and Bledsoe brought until the Pittsburgh debacle.

trapezeus
11-09-2016, 07:28 AM
the way I see it, this team was built to just make the playoffs and do no particular damage winning in the playoffs. that is sucha pathetically low bar and they aren't even getting there.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2016, 08:07 AM
the way I see it, this team was built to just make the playoffs and do no particular damage winning in the playoffs. that is sucha pathetically low bar and they aren't even getting there.
You're right, we should have just built a championship team. I don't know why we haven't done that yet.

trapezeus
11-09-2016, 11:10 AM
mostteams look to be competitive in a playoff run. the discussion is only about ending the drought. from management to players. they do not match up well in their division or against other teams in conference. There are no leaders amongst the players and little in the way of playoff experience. there will be no playoffs under this regime. thanks joe fo sho for being sarcastic andmissing the bigger point.

Victor7
11-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Only loss this team can afford is to Oaklan or Pittsburg.

Hopefully Tyrod turned a corner. That's a big if.

Every game is winnable, the thing is every game has been winnable outside of the 2nd NE game.

We have to have the worst record by games decided by 6 points or less, which is typically a toss up based on analytics.

Basically we need to pull out close wins vs Oakland Cincy, Pittsburgh and Miami to break even on thr 6 point or less theory. We're liable for a double digit loss in all of these games. Cleveland, NYJ and Jacksonville are all must wins, and that's not a guarantee.

Need a hot streak like McGahee and Bledsoe brought until the Pittsburgh debacle.

Good comparison. What was that streak ? 7 straight ? I'm going strictly by memory. And all of that only to crash vs the Pitt bench. Man what a day.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2016, 01:33 PM
mostteams look to be competitive in a playoff run.

Only 'most' teams? All teams don't look to be competitive? Like who?

the discussion is only about ending the drought. from management to players. they do not match up well in their division or against other teams in conference. There are no leaders amongst the players and little in the way of playoff experience. there will be no playoffs under this regime. thanks joe fo sho for being sarcastic andmissing the bigger point.
You think we purposely don't matchup well in our division? Is that a joke? We're 5-2 in our last 7 games against the Jets and 5-2 in our last 7 matchups against the Dolphins. That's not matching up well?

Please, name a team that consistently matches up well against the Pats.

You act like we're purposefully trying to be mediocre, like we could be better but we just don't see the need.

trapezeus
11-09-2016, 01:46 PM
we differ in opinions on how management runs this team. they aren't willingly crappy at their job, but they are, and they add bureaucracy to the whole thing that makes it worse. the browns seem to be looking to draft picks and not being competitive. we are mediocre, and the org is built to put out a mediocre product and put some marketing touches to get you hopeful. they don't care about winning, they care about the bottom line and that is it. we all had high hopes with the pegulas, but they don't seem to care much about the bills.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2016, 01:51 PM
we differ in opinions on how management runs this team. they aren't willingly crappy at their job, but they are, and they add bureaucracy to the whole thing that makes it worse. the browns seem to be looking to draft picks and not being competitive. we are mediocre, and the org is built to put out a mediocre product and put some marketing touches to get you hopeful. they don't care about winning, they care about the bottom line and that is it. we all had high hopes with the pegulas, but they don't seem to care much about the bills.
Just because we're mediocre doesn't mean we strive to be mediocre.

Please name some decisions the Pegulas have made that show the bottom line is all they care about, since it's so obvious to some people.

Shady25
11-09-2016, 01:54 PM

- - - Updated - - -

5-4