PDA

View Full Version : Coaches that go for 2 pt conversions

Fat Tony
09-15-2002, 07:42 PM
When they don't know what they are doing make me sick!!

You score a TD late in the game that puts you up 4 - WHY GO FOR 2??

If they fail to convert- you have 4- they need a TD to win

If you convert- you have a 6 pt lead- a TD still BEATS YOU!

So, you are trying to make a play that is succesful 35%-40% of the time for nothing.

If you went for the X-point, a (99% play Doug Brien aside) you would be lkicking for the win, not for OT.

Over- coaching. GW almost outsmarted himself again!

TacklingDummy
09-15-2002, 07:47 PM
Boneheaded play of the game. Another example why he must be fired. Great win. Im glad they bailed GW out.

Dozerdog
09-15-2002, 07:49 PM
I think Fat Tony's TV has some bullet holes in it.

I hope he doesn't miss the Sopranos tonight!!

SoCalBillsFan
09-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony

If they fail to convert- you have 4- they need a TD to win

If you convert- you have a 6 pt lead- a TD still BEATS YOU!

A TD only beats you if you make the extra point, which they had trouble with.

I understand the call, I might not have decided to go for two myself though.

casdhf
09-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Damn, I'm glad he's the coach instead of the dummy. It was a good move at the time

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 07:51 PM
I questioned that call from the <U>GET GO</U> (http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthread.php?postid=36855#post36855). I hope the press hold Willams' feet to the fire on that decison. WTF was he thinking?

Fat Tony
09-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

A TD only beats you if you make the extra point, which they had trouble with.

I understand the call, I might not have decided to go for two myself though. You can't base coaching decisions on the fact a kicker will miss his 3rd XP of the game- even if the punter is subbing because the kicker has been knocked out of the game....

Industrial strength dumb!:dizzy:

John Doe
09-15-2002, 08:10 PM
A win is a win is a win. Who knows what happens to the future if we make the one point conversion? They could score a touchdown and win it anyway. You can't take one item out of the context of the overall chain of events. WE WON THE GAME.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Here's the situation:

With 3:13 left in the game Bledsoe hits P.Price for 3 yard touchdown making the score:

Bills: 36

Vikings: 32

Now would someone explian why going for 2 points makes any sense?

If we kicked the extra point, the 55 yard FG by Hollis in regulation wins it for us?

John Doe
09-15-2002, 08:22 PM
We kick the extra point and we are ahead 37 to 32. Now, if the Vikes score a TD, don't you think that they would go for 2? Their red zone offense was clicking. They put 8 on the board and it is still a tie if we make the field goal. I think that GW was trying to put us in a position to win with a fieldgoal even if the Vikes score 8.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
We kick the extra point and we are ahead 37 to 32. Now, if the Vikes score a TD, don't you think that they would go for 2? Their red zone offense was clicking. The put 8 on the board and it is still a tie if we make the field goal. I think that GW was trying to put us in a position to win with a fieldgoal even if the Vikes score 8.

Yeah....but if we kicked the extra point....that puts the onus on the Vikings to try a 2 point conversion.

Precentage of Extra Points made in the NFL: 95%

Precentage of Two Point Conversions made in the NFL: 40%

John Doe
09-15-2002, 08:32 PM
The Vikes were having little problem scoring in the red zone. The missed two points still gave us a chance to tie. You have to play aggressively on the road. We won the game, so the strategy did not backfire.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 08:34 PM
The Vikes were having little problem scoring in the red zone. The missed two points still gave us a chance to tie. You have to play aggressively on the road. We won the game, so the strategy did not backfire.

We won despite that call. You can bet your left one, if we lost that game in overtime, that call to try for two points would be questioned by everyone and anyone with any football savy.

John Doe
09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Losses are ALWAYS second guessed. I don't second guess wins - I JUST ENJOY 'EM!

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Losses are ALWAYS second guessed. I don't second guess wins - I JUST ENJOY 'EM!

I'm not 2nd guessing the win, I'm questioning that call, it made no sense...in anyones' world.

colin
09-15-2002, 08:42 PM
It is not a clear "don't go for two" situation, but I think one should only go for two if the other team will only have the ball once more, and converting the extra point won't add enough to force them to go for a touchdown/tie if they do score.

In this case, there was too much time left. It was not a horrible call, and many many good calls were made.

We never seemed to get hurt blitzing, I wish we did it more.

Fat Tony
09-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Two Point conversions should only be tried if it TIES the game for you, puts you within a FG of Tying the game for you (only in the 4th qtr) OR forces your opponent to score a TD to win it.

Two point conversions are so shakey the smart coaches go to them only when absolutly necissary.

Or if your place kicker had his leg amputated.

Don't get me wrong- I loved the game and the outcome. I'm not trying to pick on what has been a historic game. But this was a really stupid call.

Thank god Drew was there to Bail GW out.

NoCtUrNaL
09-15-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony

Or if your place kicker had his leg amputated.

Heee heee....I laughed like Scooby Doo when I read that.

<EMBED src="http://www.k81o5.com/dooby.wav" AUTOSTART=false>
*the actual recording of my laugh when I read the quoted post
(yes...that's right...my life has a sound track)

Dozerdog
09-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by colin
It is not a clear "don't go for two" situation, but I think one should only go for two if the other team will only have the ball once more, and converting the extra point won't add enough to force them to go for a touchdown/tie if they do score.

In this case, there was too much time left. It was not a horrible call, and many many good calls were made.

/

3 minutes left in the game. There is no way the Vikings were going to kick a FG and hope to get the ball back on downs.

You must figure that the Vikes have 1 drive in them, they MUST score a TD on that drive, (FGs not an option) and you plan around "what if" the Vikes score that TD.

colin
09-15-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

3 minutes left in the game. There is no way the Vikings were going to kick a FG and hope to get the ball back on downs.

You must figure that the Vikes have 1 drive in them, they MUST score a TD on that drive, (FGs not an option) and you plan around "what if" the Vikes score that TD.

Sure, but given how easily the Vikes were scoring, and how well we were moving the ball, going for one would have allowed us to WIN by one point on the final kick.

The bottom line is that it was not a for sure go for two, or a never go for two situation.

Earthquake Enyart
09-16-2002, 08:34 AM
You kick the one to MAKE them go for 2 if they scored. If they fail with the 2, then a FG wins it for you. If they make the 2, then you can still tie with a FG. You want to make them go for 2.

I don't get it either.