X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fat Tony
    • Sep 2002

Coaches that go for 2 pt conversions

When they don't know what they are doing make me sick!!

You score a TD late in the game that puts you up 4 - WHY GO FOR 2??

If they fail to convert- you have 4- they need a TD to win

If you convert- you have a 6 pt lead- a TD still BEATS YOU!

So, you are trying to make a play that is succesful 35%-40% of the time for nothing.

If you went for the X-point, a (99% play Doug Brien aside) you would be lkicking for the win, not for OT.

Over- coaching. GW almost outsmarted himself again!
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Boneheaded play of the game. Another example why he must be fired. Great win. Im glad they bailed GW out.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I think Fat Tony's TV has some bullet holes in it.

I hope he doesn't miss the Sopranos tonight!!

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
        Expert on Experts
        • Jul 2002

Re: Coaches that go for 2 pt conversions

Originally posted by Fat Tony

If they fail to convert- you have 4- they need a TD to win

If you convert- you have a 6 pt lead- a TD still BEATS YOU!

A TD only beats you if you make the extra point, which they had trouble with.

I understand the call, I might not have decided to go for two myself though.

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Damn, I'm glad he's the coach instead of the dummy. It was a good move at the time
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

I questioned that call from the GET GO. I hope the press hold Willams' feet to the fire on that decison. WTF was he thinking?
            Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2002, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Fat Tony
              • Sep 2002

Re: Re: Coaches that go for 2 pt conversions

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

A TD only beats you if you make the extra point, which they had trouble with.

I understand the call, I might not have decided to go for two myself though.
              You can't base coaching decisions on the fact a kicker will miss his 3rd XP of the game- even if the punter is subbing because the kicker has been knocked out of the game....

Industrial strength dumb!

Comment

• John Doe
                Florida Man
                • Jul 2002

A win is a win is a win. Who knows what happens to the future if we make the one point conversion? They could score a touchdown and win it anyway. You can't take one item out of the context of the overall chain of events. WE WON THE GAME.

Comment

Here's the situation:

With 3:13 left in the game Bledsoe hits P.Price for 3 yard touchdown making the score:

Bills: 36

Vikings: 32

Now would someone explian why going for 2 points makes any sense?

If we kicked the extra point, the 55 yard FG by Hollis in regulation wins it for us?

Comment

• John Doe
                    Florida Man
                    • Jul 2002

We kick the extra point and we are ahead 37 to 32. Now, if the Vikes score a TD, don't you think that they would go for 2? Their red zone offense was clicking. They put 8 on the board and it is still a tie if we make the field goal. I think that GW was trying to put us in a position to win with a fieldgoal even if the Vikes score 8.

Comment

Originally posted by John Doe
                      We kick the extra point and we are ahead 37 to 32. Now, if the Vikes score a TD, don't you think that they would go for 2? Their red zone offense was clicking. The put 8 on the board and it is still a tie if we make the field goal. I think that GW was trying to put us in a position to win with a fieldgoal even if the Vikes score 8.
                      Yeah....but if we kicked the extra point....that puts the onus on the Vikings to try a 2 point conversion.

Precentage of Extra Points made in the NFL: 95%

Precentage of Two Point Conversions made in the NFL: 40%

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

The Vikes were having little problem scoring in the red zone. The missed two points still gave us a chance to tie. You have to play aggressively on the road. We won the game, so the strategy did not backfire.

Comment

The Vikes were having little problem scoring in the red zone. The missed two points still gave us a chance to tie. You have to play aggressively on the road. We won the game, so the strategy did not backfire.

We won despite that call. You can bet your left one, if we lost that game in overtime, that call to try for two points would be questioned by everyone and anyone with any football savy.

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

Losses are ALWAYS second guessed. I don't second guess wins - I JUST ENJOY 'EM!

Comment

Losses are ALWAYS second guessed. I don't second guess wins - I JUST ENJOY 'EM!

I'm not 2nd guessing the win, I'm questioning that call, it made no sense...in anyones' world.

Comment

Working...
                              X