X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figster
    • Oct 2010

Red Flag play overview

I wanted to get some opinions on the idea of adding a red flag overview for teams who feel a mistake has occured on the play from an officiating standpoint. The play gets reviewed for any errors by way of missed penalties, official clock managent or any other type of error that may be deemed unfair to both the Offense or Defense. If no error is found the time out is burned and the one chance to red flag the play has been used.

On the flip side an error can be found to help or hinder the team red flagging the play and if used takes the place of the video replay ruling challenge.

This would give officiating crews and football teams the chance to make corrections real time enabling a more fair outcome to the game.

Any input on this idea would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Red Flag play overview

Is what you propose is to give teams the ability to challenge what they perceive as a "bad call"?
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-11-2016, 10:46 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• dog14787
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
      Is what you propose is to give teams the ability to challenge what they perceive as a "bad call"?
      Bad outcome by reason of error so the officials have someone looking over ther shoulder. The object is to catch and correct a mistake real time, add transparency and some accountability.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

There might be problems in some venues. At PGH's Heinz Field, the folks that control the "Jumbotron" are notorious for not showing replays that are unfavorable to the Steelers, so as to deny the opposition some real-time evidence to challenge an outcome.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• dog14787
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          There might be problems in some venues. At PGH's Heinz Field, the folks that control the "Jumbotron" are notorious for not showing replays that are unfavorable to the Steelers, so as to deny the opposition some real-time evidence to challenge an outcome.
          I suppose that would be a home field advantage, but the players themselves know for instance when they've been held and can just as easily signal to the sidelines. If the play is important enough, HC throws the red flag.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

The problem is many calls are judgement calls. Literally it isn't a penalty unless the covering official thinks it is.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• dog14787
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by yordad View Post
              The problem is many calls are judgement calls. Literally it isn't a penalty unless the covering official thinks it is.
              I understand,

In many instances though a penalty is missed because the officials don't see it. If reviewed and the findings are deemed accurate by way of officiating the time out and chance to challenge a play has been used.

What happened in Seattle shouldn't be happening , but it is because there was no real time recourse for when the mistake happened.

Addmitting mistakes after the fact mean nothing to the losing football team.

The ability to review and scrutinize what actually happened in a play adds transparency and accountability IMO.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

I think that ANYTHING should be reviewable, basically. Anything that's actually called on the field should be reviewable. Missed calls alone should probably not be reviewable, because you probably could challenge so-and-so got held on about any play...that would not work. But anything at all called on the field should be reviewable IMO.

There are way too many fans way too fed up with officials taking over way too many games.

And there should be full-time officials starting next year.

We don't need aging attorneys or real estate agents out there, either. Being an NFL official has to be a person's only job, basically. That would help too. I'm sure the league can afford it...they almost cannot afford NOT to do it at this point. Fans each have their breaking point about this ****.

BTW, the NFL fined Sherman for his hit on Carpenter this week, but the officiating crew was let off the hook with no discipline. How's that? Pretty poor way to handle it.

Comment

• dog14787
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                  I think that ANYTHING should be reviewable, basically. Anything that's actually called on the field should be reviewable. Missed calls alone should probably not be reviewable, because you probably could challenge so-and-so got held on about any play...that would not work. But anything at all called on the field should be reviewable IMO.

There are way too many fans way too fed up with officials taking over way too many games.

And there should be full-time officials starting next year.

We don't need aging attorneys or real estate agents out there, either. Being an NFL official has to be a person's only job, basically. That would help too. I'm sure the league can afford it...they almost cannot afford NOT to do it at this point. Fans each have their breaking point about this ****.

BTW, the NFL fined Sherman for his hit on Carpenter this week, but the officiating crew was let off the hook with no discipline. How's that? Pretty poor way to handle it.
                  The red flag for a play overview would make every play optional for a closer look until utilized IMO.

Time restraints prevent all plays from being scrutinized in this manner , but If you can correct the more important errors at the disgression of the football team a more fair and uncontested ending to the game would result in my humble opinion.

thanks
                  Last edited by Figster; 11-12-2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dog14787 View Post
                    The red flag for a play overview would make every play optional for a closer look until utilized IMO.

Time restraints prevent all plays from being scrutinized in this manner , but If you can correct the more important errors at the disgression of the football team a more fair and uncontested ending to the game would result in my humble opinion.

thanks
                    I don't think time-constraints would play in all that much.

There could still be the same amount of challenge flags allowed to be thrown, but only the things a team could throw them for would be expanded. Could only cost them a commercial or two in real time. I don't see that as being an issue not to do it.

They need to get their act together, for sure. Full-time refs, and the ability to challenge anything that's called on the field. Also, there are certain situations that arise where EVERYONE knows what should happen, but the rules don't allow for the correction to be made. Makes no sense and pisses everyone off...changes the game unfairly, and there is no reason for it....this guy stepped out of bound clearly (and we all know it) or whatever, but there is nothing anyone can do, even though we all know what SHOULD happen...then we all have to sit there and watch that ****.

Comment

• dog14787
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                      I don't think time-constraints would play in all that much.

There could still be the same amount of challenge flags allowed to be thrown, but only the things a team could throw them for would be expanded. Could only cost them a commercial or two in real time. I don't see that as being an issue not to do it.

They need to get their act together, for sure. Full-time refs, and the ability to challenge anything that's called on the field. Also, there are certain situations that arise where EVERYONE knows what should happen, but the rules don't allow for the correction to be made. Makes no sense and pisses everyone off...changes the game unfairly, and there is no reason for it....this guy stepped out of bound clearly (and we all know it) or whatever, but there is nothing anyone can do, even though we all know what SHOULD happen...then we all have to sit there and watch that ****.
                      I agree, getting each and every play officiated correctly is what matters most IMO.

On a red flag play overview, replays and the dissection of the play itself could be shown real time for everyone to see allowing some transparency to how the officials are calling the game. Different crews may vary when it comes to when infractions have occured so having some insight assures the officiating itself is done fairly for both teams.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

One way to implement this idea without adding additional time to the game would be to limit commercial breaks, which I think was in the news earlier today. After the extra point or FG, there is a commercial break; no problem. But then to do another one 10 sec later after the kickoff is just stupid. Eliminate those breaks and you'll save 5-10 min on each game instantly.

Comment

• dog14787
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                          One way to implement this idea without adding additional time to the game would be to limit commercial breaks, which I think was in the news earlier today. After the extra point or FG, there is a commercial break; no problem. But then to do another one 10 sec later after the kickoff is just stupid. Eliminate those breaks and you'll save 5-10 min on each game instantly.
                          I agree, with proper coordination the time needed for an overview would not be a problem.
                          The play overview would not need to be aired live, just the findings, so in many instances the time opened up by the overview could be used for a commercial break.

thank you,

Any input is much appreciated.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

I'd rather get rid of instant replay completely than institute the ability to challenge penalties.

Comment

• dog14787
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              I'd rather get rid of instant replay completely than institute the ability to challenge penalties.
                              It would only make for more contested outomes IMO.

What makes you think having even less transparency then we have now would be better? If you don't mind my asking.

Comment

Working...
                              X