PDA

View Full Version : Rex's Bills vs. Schwartz's Eagles

Mace
11-13-2016, 04:59 PM
In 2015 the Eagles were the 30th ranked D, (32nd rush, 28th pass). Bills were 19th (16th rush, 19th pass).

In 2016 the Eagles are the 6th ranked D after 8 games (18th rush, 7th pass), year 1 of scheme. Bills are 13th after 9 games (20th rush, 13th pass), year 2 of scheme.

Can never get enough angst these days.

YardRat
11-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Can't wait for the end of the year to update the defensive rankings thread.

justasportsfan
11-13-2016, 07:10 PM
They pretty much just stopped the high octane falcons offense.

We make crappy Os look like top 10.

ParanoidAndroid
11-13-2016, 07:14 PM
To add a little joy to all of this, Kiko Alonso had a game winning pick-6 for the freakin' Fish.

Topas
11-14-2016, 03:04 AM
just fyi: according to DVOA the Eagles have the number 1 D and we have number 22.
Ratings differ, mainly because they adjust for strength of opponent, and situation. Situation means that a 10yard run on 3rd and 20 is not that good. But a 3 yard run on third and 2 is very good for the offense.
I strongly prefer DVOA to normal NFL ratings.

EDIT: these were the ratings prior to this week since they update it only after the monday night game.

jimmifli
11-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Well, you know where I stand on this. We had the chance to give the job to the guy that earned it through performance. To actually be an organization that is a meritocracy.

But we picked the loudmouth self promoter. Seems to be some of that going around recently.

TacklingDummy
11-14-2016, 05:58 PM
To add a little joy to all of this, Kiko Alonso had a game winning pick-6 for the freakin' Fish.

And McToast had the game ending interception for the Eagles.

swiper
11-15-2016, 04:34 AM
Can't wait for the end of the year to update the defensive rankings thread.

As Bills fans we should all admit to ourselves by this point that Ryan is very over-rated as a defensive mind and Schwartz is very under-rated. Mace just underscores that point one more time. It's a pretty good year to be an Eagles fans.

And to make matters worse, every time I turn on an Eagles game it seems that Leodis McKelvin is making some kind of big play.

jamze132
11-15-2016, 06:21 AM
Rumor has it Tom Coughlin is interested in coaching again. I'd fire Whaley and Rex and give him total roster control. As soon as we lose to Cinci...

TacklingDummy
11-15-2016, 06:24 AM
And to make matters worse, every time I turn on an Eagles game it seems that Leodis McKelvin is making some kind of big play.

I always thought McFumbles was our best corner. Sure he had a few boneheaded plays but I'd take him over any corner on the roster now.

Topas
11-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Well, maybe not best corner. But I think he was underappreciated due to his fumble on the MNF Cowboys game. Pretty good corner with stone hands and a few bonehead plays. But overall pretty good and way better than his rep. Just keep him off special teams.
Why do you guys think Schwartz immediately signed him. And I heard this Schwartz guy knows a few things about defense.

streetkings01
11-15-2016, 09:47 AM
As Bills fans we should all admit to ourselves by this point that Ryan is very over-rated as a defensive mind and Schwartz is very under-rated. Mace just underscores that point one more time. It's a pretty good year to be an Eagles fans.

And to make matters worse, every time I turn on an Eagles game it seems that Leodis McKelvin is making some kind of big play.McKelvin has been getting beat a lot from what I've been seeing.

streetkings01
11-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Well, maybe not best corner. But I think he was underappreciated due to his fumble on the MNF Cowboys game. Pretty good corner with stone hands and a few bonehead plays. But overall pretty good and way better than his rep. Just keep him off special teams.
Why do you guys think Schwartz immediately signed him. And I heard this Schwartz guy knows a few things about defense.McKelvin is a good #3 DB and occasional spot starter.

streetkings01
11-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Bradham is the one that looks like a stud for the Eagles.

justasportsfan
11-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Bradham is the one that looks like a stud for the Eagles.

He was a stud here. So were Dareus , K. Williams, Hughes and ESPECIALLY our db's. They all became chumps when Rex took over.

All of a sudden Hughes looks overpaid in this system too.

Victor7
11-15-2016, 10:35 AM
He was a stud here. So were Dareus , K. Williams, Hughes and ESPECIALLY our db's. They all became chumps when Rex took over.
All of a sudden Hughes looks overpaid in this system too.
You went a little overboard there. Hughes has been our best player on defense. Probably second best overall behind only shady. Kyle is ballin' as usual. I'm with ya about the DB's. Dareus ? Who knows man. He's hardly played at all.

justasportsfan
11-15-2016, 01:00 PM
You went a little overboard there. Hughes has been our best player on defense. Probably second best overall behind only shady. Kyle is ballin' as usual. I'm with ya about the DB's. Dareus ? Who knows man. He's hardly played at all.

Hughes is hardly the Hughes under Schwartz. Even Kyles numbers are down. I can only use Dareus' performance from last year and it blew.

We had arguably the best DL who had the best pass rush rushing only 4 under Achwartz.

This DL minus Dareus was bullied by what was supposed to be the worse OLs in rhe league in the fins and Seattle.

Eagles D in their 1st year under Schwartz is already way better than the bills' D in their 2nd year under Rex.

I dont expect Rexs D to get any better next year either compared to Schwartz's D when he was here.

Eagles fans can look forward to Schwartz's 2nd year.

All we can look foreard to is the same crap because now we needs dbs next year and I dont expect a bunch of rookies to fix Rex.

With an under performing DL , our dbs will get torched in a system that puts alot on the dbs because we need to blitz players to get to the qb that leaves them with no help.

Our DL last year looked lost. This year our dbs are lost.

toto8
11-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Hughes is hardly the Hughes under Schwartz. Even Kyles numbers are down. I can only use Dareus' performance from last year and it blew.

We had arguably the best DL who had the best pass rush rushing only 4 under Achwartz.

This DL minus Dareus was bullied by what was supposed to be the worse OLs in rhe league in the fins and Seattle.

Eagles D in their 1st year under Schwartz is already way better than the bills' D in their 2nd year under Rex.

I dont expect Rexs D to get any better next year either compared to Schwartz's D when he was here.

All we can look foreard to is the same crap because now we needs dbs next year and I dont expect a bunch of rookies to fix Rex.

With an under performing DL , our dbs will get torched in a system that puts alot on the dbs because we need to blitz players to get to the qb that leaves them with no help.

And the vicious circle goes around and around and around. Next year db's will be great something will happen to the DL then we will get run all over then the offense will be bad, and so on. It seems like every year we have a team that cannot perform evenly.

justasportsfan
11-15-2016, 03:42 PM
And the vicious circle goes around and around and around. Next year db's will be great something will happen to the DL then we will get run all over then the offense will be bad, and so on. It seems like every year we have a team that cannot perform evenly.

We did but we hired Rex.

He took a DL which was a position of strength and ruined it.
He took the db's a position of strength and ruined it.

To think he's supposed to be a Defensive genius yet he gets owned in record fashion by the likes of Fitz.

Mouldsie
11-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Guys, Rex told us he's a defensive genius. Don't worry.

toto8
11-15-2016, 05:15 PM
We did but we hired Rex.

He took a DL which was a position of strength and ruined it.
He took the db's a position of strength and ruined it.

To think he's supposed to be a Defensive genius yet he gets owned in record fashion by the likes of Fitz.

Well thing is before Rex we had a great defense with Schwartz but a ****ty offense with Marrone and Co. That's what I mean about the vicious cycle. Hahaha I just realized I typed circle instead of cycle in my previous post.

Mace
11-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Was never a fan of Bradham, thought he was a jag (just another guy), McKelvin only briefly under Donnie Henderson.

Makes me think Schwartz knows how to use personnel within their limitations, and Donnie Henderson was a very good DB coach, though of course not good enough for Rex. Henderson is the biggest difference I can see in the DB falloff from last season, which makes getting rid of him look worse because he got better performance out of DB's in Ryans system than Ryan guys do, but wasn't acceptable to Ryan for his system.

The Jokeman
11-16-2016, 07:33 AM
Rumor has it Tom Coughlin is interested in coaching again. I'd fire Whaley and Rex and give him total roster control. As soon as we lose to Cinci...

Coughlin as a HC is intriguing yet not sure I give him roster control as we saw with Levy, just because you're a good HC doesn't mean you're a good GM.

Victor7
11-16-2016, 12:49 PM

It seems like you are trying to convince me that Schwartz > Ryan. You don't have to do that. I'm with ya 100%. Ryan is a moron. Both of them actually.

I was just saying that you went a bit too far with Hughes and Kyle. While they may not be "Schwartz good" they are not chumps either. They are both playing very well.

swiper
11-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Guys, Rex told us he's a defensive genius. Don't worry.

And trump will make America great again.

justasportsfan
11-17-2016, 11:31 AM
I was just saying that you went a bit too far with Hughes and Kyle. While they may not be "Schwartz good" they are not chumps either. They are both playing very well.

Didn't mean for that to come out that way. I was trying to say that our genius HC has made both Kyle and Hughes look average. Rexy makes Hughes look very overpaid Hughes does not look any better than Schobel .Again, thats not Hughes' fault.

Victor7
11-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Didn't mean for that to come out that way. I was trying to say that our genius HC has made both Kyle and Hughes look average. Rexy makes Hughes look very overpaid Hughes does not look any better than Schobel .Again, thats not Hughes' fault.
We'll agree to disagree then. I don' think either of them looks average. But I do agree they looked better under Schwartz.

YardRat
11-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Hughes is missing playing opposite Mario.

justasportsfan
11-20-2016, 01:21 PM
We'll agree to disagree then. I don' think either of them looks average. But I do agree they looked better under Schwartz.

Average

Night Train
11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm watching Philly playing Seattle.

Seattle has 27 rushes for 156 yards and 1 TD
Wilson is 19-32 for 287 and 2 TD's.

Can we quit pretending the Philly D is the '85 Bears.

justasportsfan
11-20-2016, 07:10 PM

It isnt. But Id rather have their D in their 1st year under Schwartz than ours in Rexs 2nd. I dont think Rexs is going to get any better than theirs moving forward if both teams kept both coaches.

Mace
11-20-2016, 09:16 PM

No one said they're the '85 Bears. But they improved more in year 1 of scheme than we have in 2 after being better than either 3 years ago.

We had a better defense under Schwartz than Ryan, Philly has a better defense under Schwartz than we have under Ryan who hasn't even gotten back to Schwartz level. That's where the argument starts, and that's pretty much where it ends until Ryan at least catches up to him.