• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The QB situation...

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen: Taylor has played just OK.

He isn't bad enough to warrant cutting, but he isn't good enough to justify $27.5 million next year.

Plus, if we do cut him, who do we get to replace him? We are looking at a middle of the pack draft pick in a draft that isn't QB heavy. The FA/trade market is slim,with Romo likely to be the only one available who could be a legit starter (and for the record, I don't want Romo anywhere near this team).

So what do we do from here?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: The QB situation...

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

He isn't bad enough to warrant cutting, but he isn't good enough to justify $27.5 million next year.

Plus, if we do cut him, who do we get to replace him? We are looking at a middle of the pack draft pick in a draft that isn't QB heavy. The FA/trade market is slim,with Romo likely to be the only one available who could be a legit starter (and for the record, I don't want Romo anywhere near this team).

Perhaps consider some sort of offer for CIN's A.J. McCarron? He had a decent run last year when Dalton went down. His rookie contract with CIN ends after next season.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-18-2016, 11:25 AM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

I think Taylor can play his way into or out of this conversation over the next two months obviously. As it stands, I would say we should keep him but still picking a QB to develop alongside Jones.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

AKA the worst case scenario.

I'd cut him. We screwed ourselves with that contract just like I thought we would.

If we keep Rex and Whaley, I think we keep Tyrod too.

Comment

• Ed
          • Sep 2002

Just to be clear, if the Bills pick up his option, Tyrod would have cap hits of $15.9 mil in 2017 and $16.9 mil in 2018. That would still put him in the bottom half of the league for QB pay and QB salaries are only going to go up. Unless there is someone specific in mind that can be brought in that is clearly better than Tyrod, the Bills are likely going to pick up his option. It doesn't mean they can't still draft another QB and continue to develop Cardale Jones, but Tyrod is likely going to be the Bills QB for 2017 and 2018. If after 2018 they decide he's not the answer the Bills can cut him without taking on a lot of dead cap space. Cutting him after this season just to go back to square one doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

What's the REAL number?

I don't really understand Taylor's contract. Seems like there are a lot of ins-and-outs to it. Spotrac says that there is around a $16 million cap hit next year for Taylor. It also says that the dead cap figure is always less than $3 million, and goes down from there year-to-year.

Anybody have the low-down about the details? No way the contract is set up for the Bills to be actually PAYING him $27.5 million next year if they elect to keep him. That's not the real number, from what I understand.

Tyrod Taylor contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.
            Last edited by feldspar; 11-18-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

The cycle continues. We will draft a mediocre QB in the 3rd round, everyone has their hopes up, QB controversy and piss off Tyrod and he pouts and poisons the locker room, so we have no choice but to cut him and start the new guy and he turns out to be another Trent Edwards after 2 seasons, and we'll be having this very conversation again in 3 years.

Cardale Jones in the meantime gets lost in the shuffle, some lucky team like Pittsburgh or New England will pick him up out of the scrap heap and he'll turn into the next Cam ****** Newton and taunt us for the next 15 years.

That's how Buffalo rolls.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                What's the REAL number?

I don't really understand Taylor's contract. Seems like there are a lot of ins-and-outs to it. Spotrac says that there is around a $16 million cap hit next year for Taylor. It also says that the dead cap figure is always less than $3 million, and goes down from there year-to-year.

Anybody have the low-down about the details? No way the contract is set up for the Bills to be actually PAYING him $27.5 million next year if they elect to keep him. That's not the real number, from what I understand.
                His salary for next year is 12m with a 15.5m option bonus. So if they pick him up for next year, that's what he gets paid.

He also gets paid for 2018 if they pick up his 2017 contract, as that also becomes guaranteed. I think that's 13m

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                  Just to be clear, if the Bills pick up his option, Tyrod would have cap hits of $15.9 mil in 2017 and $16.9 mil in 2018. That would still put him in the bottom half of the league for QB pay and QB salaries are only going to go up. Unless there is someone specific in mind that can be brought in that is clearly better than Tyrod, the Bills are likely going to pick up his option. It doesn't mean they can't still draft another QB and continue to develop Cardale Jones, but Tyrod is likely going to be the Bills QB for 2017 and 2018. If after 2018 they decide he's not the answer the Bills can cut him without taking on a lot of dead cap space. Cutting him after this season just to go back to square one doesn't make a lot of sense.
                  Thanks for posting this WHILE I was asking the question. LOL.

I still don't know what that $27.5 figure actually means, though. I've heard that figure in relation to Taylor many times before.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

Cutting him after this season just to go back to square one doesn't make a lot of sense.
                    It does if you think we can't win with him.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                      Thanks for posting this WHILE I was asking the question. LOL.

I still don't know what that $27.5 figure actually means, though. I've heard that figure in relation to Taylor many times before.
                      I think the $27.5 mil is what he actually gets but his cap figure is closer to $15 mil.

I'm not sure though. This is by far the most complex contract I can remember.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

The problem with Taylor is that, if they're down by more than one score in the second half, the game is essentially over. He is a game manager who is sometimes fun to watch, but not a guy that's gonna pull you out of a jam with his arm. With a good defense and running game, you can win with him, I guess. That, in my opinion, really isn't the definition of an elite QB, which is what he will be paid like if he stays.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• dog14787
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                          The cycle continues. We will draft a mediocre QB in the 3rd round, everyone has their hopes up, QB controversy and piss off Tyrod and he pouts and poisons the locker room, so we have no choice but to cut him and start the new guy and he turns out to be another Trent Edwards after 2 seasons, and we'll be having this very conversation again in 3 years.

Cardale Jones in the meantime gets lost in the shuffle, some lucky team like Pittsburgh or New England will pick him up out of the scrap heap and he'll turn into the next Cam ****** Newton and taunt us for the next 15 years.

That's how Buffalo rolls.
                          Circling the Wagons in a never ending loop of madness,

next stop the BILLSZONE...

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

If he's getting $27.5 million in real dollars and counts nearly $16 million against the cap and it's obvious that he's not the guy, it makes sense.

It's a tough call cuz you don't want to cut a guy before he's had a real shot, but in the past, this team has held out on players too long and missed opportunities to get better guys because of it. We don't want to keep repeating that mistake
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              His salary for next year is 12m with a 15.5m option bonus. So if they pick him up for next year, that's what he gets paid.

He also gets paid for 2018 if they pick up his 2017 contract, as that also becomes guaranteed. I think that's 13m
                              Posted this WHILE I was asking the question...happened again...

But what exactly ARE the option bonuses? Still don't understand what this money is going towards. You can't give a player that kind of money without it going towards the cap somehow sooner or later.

What's the cap hit if we cut him this year? 10 mil.

From what you say, if we keep him next year, we'll pretty much have him the after too...
                              Last edited by feldspar; 11-18-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X