PDA

View Full Version : Fat Sam?

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:08 PM
I hear all this talk worrying about Sam Adams weight. But this guy is supposed to be fat. He’s supposed to be just a huge fat ass clogging up the middle. The problem is if he becomes too fat, and judging from the pictures I’ve seen I think he looks about right. I’m pleased. In my book, there’s nothing like having two fat guys clogging up the middle of the line.

Dozerdog
07-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Looks good to me!!

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10004/July27camp-17.jpg

Dozerdog
07-28-2003, 02:12 PM
It's the mu-mu they have him wearing. Makes him just "look" fat

Pride
07-28-2003, 02:13 PM
the concern about his weight is directly linked to the longevity of his knees. Sorry but noone's knees were meant to support 370 lbs... even an athletes'

If he can get to 330, I will be happy. And we may be able to squeeze another year out of him.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:14 PM
He supposed to be good too. He suppose to last 4 quarters, He supposed to take a pay check for being unconditioned, He supposed to be undiscipline, come on Patrick,,,get real. That fat will come back to haunt him and the bills. Just watch as the seaon goes by..Opps, I forgot, you'll the guy who was watching the type of pants Reed was wearing in the "How does J. Reed LooK" Thread. I'm sorry, nevermind..continue with your Post...LOL

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Right on! I'd like to see Ricky Williams try to run over Sam! I'd rather 340lbs than 240lbs any day!

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
He supposed to be good too. He suppose to last 4 quarters, He supposed to take a pay check for being unconditioned, He supposed to be undiscipline, come on Patrick,,,get real. That fat will come back to haunt him and the bills. Just watch as the seaon goes by..Opps, I forgot, you'll the guy who was watching the type of pants Reed was wearing in the "How does J. Reed LooK" Thread. I'm sorry, nevermind..continue with your Post...LOL

He'll just run right around him, Sams too slow to get to him, even in the same hole. :biggrin:

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Pride. Explain to me how you expect this guy to lose 40 pounds over the next 6 weeks.

Plus some people are so stupid. TV commentators think they're comics when they bust out with the line, "The media guide says 360 but that looks like it was taken before he hit the buffet line.

How the hell do they know how much he weighs. Do these guys work the giant scales at 6 Flags? Our Defense was never better then when Fat Ted and Fat Pat were at their fattest. Let's just let this guy play. And Don't give me any crap about the Knees.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Sam is very fat, but unlike most other fat DL, he is still very quick and nimble. He has had many sacks in his career playing at a high weight. Ted Washington was even fatter than Sam, and he led the Bills to be #1 on defense in the NFL a few years ago. Sam is fat, but very quick. Even if he couldn't move fast though, all he has to do is hold up a couple of the offensive lineman, and our linebackers will get Ricky if he does get around him and Pat Williams.

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Let me explain it to you bro. When you have two guys like that, they clog up the middle of the defense. Freeing up the Middle linebacker to make plays all over the field. Note Brian Urlacher the past 2 years with and without big Ted. Huge difference. Throw in TKO roaming around the field and the Bills Suddenly have one of the best Run D’s in the league.

The middle will be clogged and TKO and London will be on the prowl.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:24 PM
the latest news about his weight is that he's 340 ... thats what the nfl.com guy said (he was in our camp).. ill get a link....

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Sam has such a bullrush on passing plays, he can bulldoze right through the offensive line with all of his weight, he is like a bowling ball. When he anchored the Ravens DL with Siragusa, they were vicious.

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
And every game we play we'll hear the guys in the booth say that he weighs at least 40 lbs more then that. and all he idiots listening will just go along with it.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Let me explain it to you bro. When you have two guys like that, they clog up the middle of the defense. Freeing up the Middle linebacker to make plays all over the field. Note Brian Urlacher the past 2 years with and without big Ted. Huge difference. Throw in TKO roaming around the field and the Bills Suddenly have one of the best Run D’s in the league.

The middle will be clogged and TKO and London will be on the prowl.

But Sam has to be in the game to do this, he's winded alot and take plays off, you need an aggressive DT to hold up blockers. Go back to last year and watch Sam. I hope for your D's sake, he changes his ways, but right now, I don't SEE it.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:28 PM
On the defensive side, just about everyone I spoke to from Donahoe on down cited the excellent job Krumrie is doing with big Sam Adams, whose weight is down to the 340 range.

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6503036)

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:28 PM

But Sam has to be in the game to do this, he's winded alot and take plays off, you need an aggressive DT to hold up blockers. Go back to last year and watch Sam. I hope for your D's sake, he changes his ways, but right now, I don't SEE it.

You want me to go back to last year? Who did he play for last year? Was his team any good last year?

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:29 PM
He can't go any lower then 340. He can't lose his power.

Pride
07-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
On the defensive side, just about everyone I spoke to from Donahoe on down cited the excellent job Krumrie is doing with big Sam Adams, whose weight is down to the 340 range.

That is what I was talking about... when we got him he was around 370... he has another 10 lbs to go till I am happy. If he can't lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks of twoadays, he isnt working very hard.

I can lose 10 lbs if I skip dinner LOL

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:32 PM

You want me to go back to last year? Who did he play for last year? Was his team any good last year?

That team didn't beat us, and he faded down the end, that's why you have him now. and Fat is not a reflection of muscle..get it straight, if he gets in the gym and does some good ol fashion reps on the weights, his strenght will be there, it's his conditioning I'm questioning, and always have since I've been talking about him here.

Dozerdog
07-28-2003, 02:32 PM

The Raiders..they got to the Super Bowl....Before that the Ravens...Super Bowl....

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:33 PM
The two interior DL have to take on and stop two guards and a center, they need extra size. He may not play every snap, but very few DL do today. I bet he will be in at least 60% of plays, including the most critical ones. Patrick76777 has a point, look how far the defenses he has played on in the last 3 years have gotten into the playoffs, this guy is a machine.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:33 PM
330-340 is perfect for a NT if you ask me, isn't that what we got him for? to free Pat from double teams and to clog and disrupt plays in the middle?

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

The Raiders..they got to the Super Bowl....Before that the Ravens...Super Bowl....

And both teams didn't keep Sam Adams afterwards,,Hmmmm I wonder why?

:hamrhed:

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:36 PM

That team didn't beat us, and he faded down the end, that's why you have him now. and Fat is not a reflection of muscle..get it straight, if he gets in the gym and does some good ol fashion reps on the weights, his strenght will be there, it's his conditioning I'm questioning, and always have since I've been talking about him here.

Wait a second, are you telling me that this fat ass has played on 2 superbowl teams in the past 3 years? Is that true?

You're right. This guy does suck.

And if you don't think that losing 40 pounds hurts your strength you're nuts.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:36 PM

because Baltimore got into salary cap hell and the Raiders, well, im sure you know how their cap was....

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:37 PM

The Ravens did keep him for one more year but had to let him go for cap reasons. The Raiders signed him for one year and he got them to the bowl. He was a FA and the Raiders were trying to bring him back but didn't have the cash.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Because he was scheduled to make $9 million this year for the Raiders and they were like $30 million or more over the cap. The Ravens weren't exactly able to keep much of their SuperBowl talent either after they leveraged their future for the SuperBowl (which was worth it for them, but that's why the cut almost the whole team except for Ray Lewis.) Also, the Raiders tried hard to get Sam back, but he wanted to come to Buffalo.

Pride
07-28-2003, 02:38 PM

It's because teams paid a fortune to get him.. had a 1 year shot... and had to release him due to cap numbers... I guarantee, if either of those teams could have afforded him, he would still be with them.

He signed a contract with us that should allow him to finish out his career here, if he knows when to hang em up.

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I thought he signed a one year deal with the Raiders? Either way, I remember they tried to get him back.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:40 PM
He had a long term deal with the Raiders, but the first year paid out real low, with ballon payments in the final years. I think there was very little if any signing bonus too.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Pride

It's because teams paid a fortune to get him.. had a 1 year shot... and had to release him due to cap numbers... I guarantee, if either of those teams could have afforded him, he would still be with them.

He signed a contract with us that should allow him to finish out his career here, if he knows when to hang em up.

Ahh, I life of luxury, he can get fatter in cold buffalo, mark my words. and yea, players lose weight and maintain their strenght all the time in the NFL, it's matter of conditioning, working out properly, ie, weight lifting, and diet, all of which Adams doesn't like to do.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 02:45 PM
It's no use arguing over this, it seems simple to me how good Sam is and how he has proven himself in recent years. We'll just have to wait and watch the season unfold to see how awesome Sam is.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Ahh, I life of luxury, he can get fatter in cold buffalo, mark my words.

Sounds like bitterness to me :gag:

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Sounds to me like someone is a little scared. His little one Dimensional offense has to play our team with a strong run D. Doesn’t looks so good.

Dozerdog
07-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Actually, it says a lot when teams decide to flush their cap future and go for it all in one shot...

And when they want the job done they blow their nut on e same guy- Sam Adams...

It sounds like MD is full of jelous whining. They got a decent LB past his prime, a slower older secondary, a QB that a contender didn't want (and they chose Plummer over him! :rofl: ) so, the best he can do is knock our big guy after a day without pads.

justasportsfan
07-28-2003, 02:56 PM

Ahh, I life of luxury, he can get fatter in cold buffalo, mark my words. and yea, players lose weight and maintain their strenght all the time in the NFL, it's matter of conditioning, working out properly, ie, weight lifting, and diet, all of which Adams doesn't like to do.

He's not bitter typical, just plain scared. Ricky is the only thing they ave. Fiedler will suck without a running game. MD, Adams signed an incentive laden contract. He does not perform , he does not get $. Have you been to any of the camps? How who you know if he gets winded?

There was one play where he took up two blockers at camp and Pat Williams came flying down the middle for a sack against Drew. Look for this to happen to Fiedler a lot. The only was the fins is going to be successful against the bills is for Ricky to run for over 100 yards. He could get bruised up trying.

No way in hell you guys are going to make it through the AFCE with Fiedlers arm.

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Actually, it says a lot when teams decide to flush their cap future and go for it all in one shot...

And when they want the job done they blow their nut on e same guy- Sam Adams...

It sounds like MD is full of jelous whining. They got a decent LB past his prime, a slower older secondary, a QB that a contender didn't want (and they chose Plummer over him! :rofl: ) so, the best he can do is knock our big guy after a day without pads.

:gag: :rofl: Well said

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Now U guys know I'm not scare of the Bills, We got Seau, who I think keeps himself in better condition than Adams, 12 pro bowls, to include last year, played on one team until now. You got Adams, who by some of your own ommission is looking a little fat. Thus proving my not conditioned well statements..Hmm, who got the better deal will be played out on the field. And Justa, Jay can run, Williams won't sack him, because he can't catch him. Drew getting sack, now that's something new..LOL

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 03:04 PM
I think Junior is the 2nd oldest linebacker in the league. THE GUY IS WASHED UP!

TypicalBill
07-28-2003, 03:07 PM
i honestly thought he was gonna coach high-school this season :idunno:

justasportsfan
07-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Seau will light up the field.....when they play the chargers. The rest of the time he'll just sit and take his prune juice. :snicker:

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 03:11 PM
I think Junior is the 2nd oldest linebacker in the league. THE GUY IS WASHED UP!

Remains to be seen..He's a washup LB who went to the pro bowl only last year, who, btw, had a ankle injury and only had about 10 less tackles, if that much, than Spikes..Hmmmmm, love your logic.

Patrick76777
07-28-2003, 03:18 PM
My logic. You’re the one using Pro-bowl appearances to judge how good a player is. Guys like Jr. will make the pro-bowl every year on his name alone. The guy could be 52 and people would vote him in.

What I can’t wait for is when he throws one of his temper tantrums on the field. The other fins are going to hate that. I think he’s good for one TT a game.

Doc
07-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Actually it was 29 fewer tackles, and the Pro Bowl was all based on rep. Seau might be an ugrade early on, but he'll be sucking wind by mid-season.

justasportsfan
07-28-2003, 03:20 PM

What I can’t wait for is when he throws one of his temper tantrums on the field. The other fins are going to hate that. I think he’s good for one TT a game.

I hope there's a power struggle between Jr. and Zach. :D

ryven
07-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Some times people make it to the probowl because of there name not because they play well. remember fans get vote and if one guy is known better he will get the vote.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Doc
Actually it was 29 fewer tackles, and the Pro Bowl was all based on rep. Seau might be an ugrade early on, but he'll be sucking wind by mid-season.

Exactly what I say about Adams, but conditioining wise, I have more confidence that Seau will last longer, bar injury to either player.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Doc

I'm not sure about that number, but ol well, for a injured player, thats not bad, considering the injury actually kept him out of a game or two. And Ryen, you must live up to that name. Anyway, this thread's not about Jr., it's about Fat Sam, you guys are the ones who named this thread and then you come back with all these execuses, and then rationale. This thread was called "Fat Sam" for a reason, lets get back to that.:feedback:

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Seau and most other non-DT personnel may very well be in better shape than Sam Adams, but it doesn't mean they are better. A lot of linebackers play almost every snap, but in the NFL today defensive lines are rotated to keep them fresh. I agree with you that Seau could play most snaps effectively in every game because he is in great condition, but so can our linebackers. As far as DL are concerned, I think Sam can play at least 60% of the snaps effectively, and provide much more of an impact than Seau. Seau may be good, but Buffalo really needs a good DL, so Sam will fill that void and make a huge difference for us. Just like Ted Washington (no one raved about his conditioning program, he was just really big and effective at clogging up the Offensive line). Look what Ted did for Chicago's defense the year he went there, they went 13-3. And Ted was about 3 years older than Sam Adams is now.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Sam Adams is fat, but he is a DEFENSIVE TACKLE! They are supposed to be huge if they are to be effective at holding up the offensive line. I agree he is fat, but at the same time he is effective. Why can't he be effective at being an anchor if he is fat like all the other great Defensive Tackles? Pat Williams is very fat yet he was a Pro-Bowl alternate even though he played on an obscure defensive line unit last year. Sam Adams would suck as a linebacker, but that's not his position, he is a prominent Defensive Tackle. Just like Seau would suck at Defensive Tackle at his current weight, no matter what his condition.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by SamAdamsFan
Seau and most other non-DT personnel may very well be in better shape than Sam Adams, but it doesn't mean they are better. A lot of linebackers play almost every snap, but in the NFL today defensive lines are rotated to keep them fresh. I agree with you that Seau could play most snaps effectively in every game because he is in great condition, but so can our linebackers. As far as DL are concerned, I think Sam can play at least 60% of the snaps effectively, and provide much more of an impact than Seau. Seau may be good, but Buffalo really needs a good DL, so Sam will fill that void and make a huge difference for us. Just like Ted Washington (no one raved about his conditioning program, he was just really big and effective at clogging up the Offensive line). Look what Ted did for Chicago's defense the year he went there, they went 13-3. And Ted was about 3 years older than Sam Adams is now.

Never said Seau was better than Adams, I've been refering to conditioning and have not alter from that stance.

Now ya talking, if it comes to ability, I'd have to agree with you. Adams is a monster when he's playing his game. Problem I have with him, is he takes too many plays off. He hasn't seem motivated since he won that SB with the Ravens. And he keeps getting bigger, which bothers me, for such a talented DT. He'll start out good for you guys and you'll be on the board ranking and raving about him, but by midseason, you will see a different Adams than started for you. I hope I'm wrong and he does you prode, except against the phins of course, but this picture of him, just makes me think he's not trying hard enough.

TedMock
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM

that's easy.....$$$$$$$$$$$ He was a free agent in one instance and the contract ballooned in the other. The Raiders flat out couldn't afford what his salary would've been.

SamAdamsFan
07-28-2003, 04:07 PM
I guess if he ballooned out of control then he could lose much ability, but the encouraging news is that he is down to 340 from 370. Also, the picture kind of shows him in half stride, so it makes him look wider than he really is. I didn't mean to say Seau was bad either, who can argue with all his probowls. I'm just trying to say that DT's generally have a different body shape and style than players in other positions, and fat combined with muscle isn't necessarily unhealthy. People are just associating size with poor performance, that's what I don't understand. I do know that Sam Adams had some problems getting motivated in the past, but I am hoping that the incentive laden contract helps with this. I think his salary can more than double if he plays at a certain level, while when he was playing at Oakland he pretty much new he would be a salary cap casualty no matter what, so he may not have worked as hard. Hopefully he will stay in shape. We will see, you can never be sure, there is no way to predict how a player will work out for your team, but things are looking positive so far.

TigerJ
07-28-2003, 05:04 PM
I don't know the actual history, but I know Sam Adams has had the reputation for pulling a Bruce Smith in many training camps. That is he has found some reason not to participate in training camp, be it minor injury, surgery shortly before training camp was to start, contract squabbles or whatever. It's notable that he has not done that this season. Assuming his weight is as observed (in the realm of 340), I think this is also a departure from recent history. Both of those points seem to me to take a lot of the air out of MDFinFan's argument. Sam ought to be in better condition than in the last couple of seasons at least. As others have mentioned, the plan will not be for Sam to take every snap. I think Ron Edwards is going to get a lot of snaps. I know Sam's knees are not in great shape, and that could be an issue at some point during the season, but if his knees hold up, I don't think there's any reason to think Sam can't do what the Bills hope he'll do this season. BTW, MDFinFan, if Ricky plans on running around Big Sam, Takeo Spikes just might have something to say about that.

Tatonka
07-28-2003, 05:12 PM
it is funny how a huge man like sam at 340 is fat.. but a huge man like mike williams at 375 is just big..

sam is a beast.. get off his nuts.. he will be great this year.

colin
07-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Sam Ain't that fat at all. Most LBs and WRs are ripped, but Sam is not fat compared to linemen.

He is prolly one of the leanest 330+ pound men alive

The Natrix
07-28-2003, 07:27 PM
As long as he stays healthy, I will be content. That is key IMO

TigerJ
07-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Mike Williams is "only" 360 right now. He's lost a little weight. I hope he's not anorexic.

Doc
07-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Adams is under 340# right now. That will only decrease as TC progresses. In any case, I'd be willing to bet that his weight right now is less than he's weighed at ANY time in the past 3 years when he was helping take his teams to SB's.