• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Another question: Duffs vs Anchor Bar vs Gabriel's Gate

I've had Anchor Bar and Duffs prior and duffs was too saucy. Never had Gabriel's a friend told me about it. Any good? Figure I'll watch Michigan vs Ohio State in there too. Any other wing recommendations?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Another question: Duffs vs Anchor Bar vs Gabriel's Gate

I like Duff's, and you can get them at the stadium. Never had Gabriel's.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I just came home from dinner at Gabriel's Gate. Wife and I had the beef taco salad tonight...but their wings are fantastic.

I like them the best of those 3.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Never been to Gabriel's Gate. I like Duff's better than Anchor Bar.

But, if you're from out of the area, almost any wing you get in WNY is going to be better than what you get where you live. I've been out of the area since 2001 and I basically gave up on Buffalo style wings. There are a few places that are OK but I usually just get some other flavor like BBQ or Asian so I don't get pissed off.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I agree Duff's is a bit too saucy. Frankly I think it's OK but not my absolute favorite. Gotta try Gabriel's now.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Asian Zing from Buffalo Wild Wings is on point!

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Duff's sucks ass. They serve wing soup and drop the wings into it.

Anchor Bar is an overpriced tourist trap, and their wings suck.

Gabriel's Gate rules. Any place run By Mark Supples, including Mother's and KO Lounge (just opened on Delaware, near Hertel) has great wings as well.

Also try 911 in South Buffalo or Kelly's Korner in North Buffalo.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

The Gate.

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  Duff's sucks ass. They serve wing soup and drop the wings into it.

Anchor Bar is an overpriced tourist trap, and their wings suck.

Gabriel's Gate rules. Any place run By Mark Supples, including Mother's and KO Lounge (just opened on Delaware, near Hertel) has great wings as well.

Also try 911 in South Buffalo or Kelly's Korner in North Buffalo.
                  Kelly's Korner was owned and operated by close friends of my parents, Bob and Marge Kelly. My Dad treated us to many a meal there when we were in the area. I wonder if their children took it over or if it was just sold?

Anyone have an idea?

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Devlins Deuce in Tonawanda on Sheridan Dr. has outstanding wings. Also, the Swannie House on Ohio St. downtown.
                    Last edited by Night Train; 11-26-2016, 04:43 AM.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Got some TGI Fridays Buffalo chicken bites at Wegmans tonight. I threw out the garbage sauce they came with and used Duff's sauce instead. Much better.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

I've made chicken wings myself for a couple of decades. I got pissed off when I ordered some from a place in the late '80's and they were breaded, so I bought a deep fryer and made them ala Buffalo. Never had Hooter's or Buffalo Wild Wings because now chicken wings are so expensive when ordered out. One guy brought Dominoes wings to a football party a few years ago. I took two bites of a drumette and tossed it.

They became popular because they are a great bar food and they were a cheap, throwaway item. If a restaurant even used whole chickens, the wings were either thrown away or used in stock. Even in the '90's I used to get them for 59 cents a pound. Now, $2.49. It was the same with skirt steak in Texas. Used to be cheap, but after fajitas became all the rage, the price skyrocketed.

At any rate, I only make them occasionally now and I wouldn't order them out anywhere but WNY.

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          Got some TGI Fridays Buffalo chicken bites at Wegmans tonight. I threw out the garbage sauce they came with and used Duff's sauce instead. Much better.
                          I envy you guys. I heard there are Wegmans down your way. I would cut off my pinkie to get one close to me. The only **** we have are Safeway and Kroger. Wegmans is outstanding IMO.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                            I envy you guys. I heard there are Wegmans down your way. I would cut off my pinkie to get one close to me. The only **** we have are Safeway and Kroger. Wegmans is outstanding IMO.
                            When we lived in Alexandria, VA, they put a Wegmans near Dulles airport. It was a 40+ min drive each way and worth every minute of it. Eventually they added a couple that were closer, including one that was on my way home from work at the time.

Now that we are in Baltimore, there is one maybe 20-25 minutes away, in a northern suburb called Hunt Valley. There are at least 15 supermarkets closer but it's still worth it. I cant stand it when we need something quick and have to shop somewhere else.
                            Last edited by OpIv37; 11-26-2016, 11:46 PM.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

Wings are supposed to be saucy

Comment

Working...
                              X