• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

So what about Charles Clay ?

“There’s only one football,” offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn said last week. “We’re trying to spread it to everybody and Charles is definitely a good receiver and if you watch the tape, he was open a few times (against the Seahawks). But unfortunately, at times, the protection didn’t hold up. And so that happens.”

“I can’t pinpoint a specific reason,” Taylor said this week when asked why he thinks Clay doesn’t have better numbers. “I’ve always said this: coverage dictates where the ball goes. ...

Sure am glad we went and got him.
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: So what about Charles Clay ?

Maybe if the quarterback didn't suck at passing the ball.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

There's really no good excuse for Clay not being more involved in the passing game. Maybe he needs to be sent on different routes if TT isn't able to get him the ball...

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

TE's make their bones in the middle third of the field.

Our QB is genetically excluded from throwing to that area.

Our GM, who should know that, pissed away millions on Clay.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

When Taylor is talking about coverage dictating where the ball goes, I'm assuming he means 'I can't see them so they must be covered'?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
            TE's make their bones in the middle third of the field.

Our QB is genetically excluded from throwing to that area.

Our GM, who should know that, pissed away millions on Clay.
            Wrong. When they signed Clay, Taylor wasn't even a serous consideration for the starting quarterback. But you're right that Taylor mostly ignores him.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

He's going to be the one player that emerges to help drive the Bulls into the superbiwl!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Clay isnt "mostly ignored," he's the second most targeted player on the team. Tyrod threw to him 7 times just in the last game. The issue is that he's running short routes and getting no YAC (whether that's his fault or Taylor's) so he's turning a 7 target day into 5 catches for 23 yards. I had high hopes for him but he is obviously not living up to his contract, nor is he apparently capable of playing a central role in the offense like the Olsons, Wittens, and Kelces of the world.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mace
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  He's going to be the one player that emerges to help drive the Bulls into the superbiwl!
                  If the Bills can't win a superbowl, I could live with seeing the Bulls win a superbiwl, yes !

Comment

• Mace
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    Clay isnt "mostly ignored," he's the second most targeted player on the team. Tyrod threw to him 7 times just in the last game. The issue is that he's running short routes and getting no YAC (whether that's his fault or Taylor's) so he's turning a 7 target day into 5 catches for 23 yards. I had high hopes for him but he is obviously not living up to his contract, nor is he apparently capable of playing a central role in the offense like the Olsons, Wittens, and Kelces of the world.
                    I don't know about that. From what I've seen, if Taylor doesn't find a running lane quick enough under pressure, he dumps the ball to someone near the line of scrimmage.

Clay isn't running short routes, he's running back toward the line of scrimmage for the dump off passes with defenders converging on him because they know it's coming. He's not getting YAC because he's catching a dump off near a crowded line of scrimmage that arrives as defenders do.

Comment

• MattyNH
                      • Nov 2011

I think we need to come to the realization that Clay is not what we thought he would be when the Bills signed him. He has a chronic knee condition and does not demonstrate any special athletic ability for a TE from what I have seen.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by MattyNH View Post
                        I think we need to come to the realization that Clay is not what we thought he would be when the Bills signed him. He has a chronic knee condition and does not demonstrate any special athletic ability for a TE from what I have seen.
                        Have to agree. Last year, I saw him open quite often and Taylor couldn't find him. But he's had some opportunities this year and didn't make the catch or make a true effort for the ball. It's not his fault the Bills threw a big contract his way. We'd all sign it. Seems he's always struggling to stay healthy. May bounce back with a new QB next year but I'd be surprised.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Clay is trash, but so is the QB, so they're perfect for each other.
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                          X