PDA

View Full Version : can we bring Jim Schwartz back?

ublinkwescore
12-07-2016, 11:13 AM
As hc.... Our defense wouldn't have lost that raiders game after having been up by 15 points in the third quarter... Just saying...

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2016, 11:25 AM
They should have hired him when Marrone quit. The Pegulas ****ed up and the need to lay in the bed they made. No way Schwartz comes back here now.

Novacane
12-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Sure. You gonna convince Pegula to can rex?

WagonCircler
12-07-2016, 11:57 AM
They should have hired him when Marrone quit. The Pegulas ****ed up and the need to lay in the bed they made. No way Schwartz comes back here now.

They listened to the marketing guy

sdbillsfan2
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
And that little weasel of a GM..

The Jokeman
12-07-2016, 01:31 PM
And that little weasel of a GM..

As I recall the Pegula's went above Whaley's head to hire Rex.

WagonCircler
12-07-2016, 01:35 PM
As I recall the Pegula's went above Whaley's head to hire Rex.

A real GM would not be in a position to let that happen.

justasportsfan
12-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Ralph says no!

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Pegulas hired Rex without input from Whaley

feldspar
12-07-2016, 01:53 PM
The Eagles are 5-7.

justasportsfan
12-07-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure Schwartz is HC material but if I am going to base that on his stint with Lions, I wouldn't have hired Bellicheat after he compiled a 36–44 record,stint with Browns.

I'll take him over Rex tough.

I was hoping Rex learned his lessons after Jets, maybe Schwartz learned his lessons after lions. Hard to say. Only one way to find out.

swiper
12-07-2016, 05:23 PM

Which make them bad business people.

- - - Updated - - -

The Eagles are 5-7.

So what?

Mace
12-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Pegulas hired Rex without input from Whaley

Nah. I mean I can't see Whaley taking stands, but nodding your head furiously with whatever anyone above you says counts for involvement.

Owners Terry and Kim Pegula had to formulate a plan in short order after their previous head coach chose to opt out of his contract with the club just days after the regular season had concluded. With the assistance of Brandon and Whaley, who had just gone through a whirlwind coaching search two years prior, they promptly scheduled interviews with coaching candidates on bye weeks before their playoff games.

Not long after the interview with Ryan had concluded the Pegulas along with Brandon and Whaley had reached a consensus rather quickly.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/19b740de-0ca3-4dd6-8fdc-58c0cf013fa2

YardRat
12-07-2016, 07:11 PM
That bridge was burnt right off the bat, very early in the Pegula's ownership.

Wade Phillips might consider returning, now that Ralph is gone.

Mace
12-07-2016, 07:21 PM
That bridge was burnt right off the bat, very early in the Pegula's ownership.

Wade Phillips might consider returning, now that Ralph is gone.

I even miss Pettine as a DC. He took them from 22nd to 10th way less loaded up on "Ryan men".

Thurmal
12-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Even the greats can get ****canned for stepping on an owner's toes. Bill Polian, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Having Schwartz over Ryan as head coach wouldn't be a hill I'd choose to die on either if my job was on the line like Whaley's has been the past few years.

Mace
12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Even the greats can get ****canned for stepping on an owner's toes. Bill Polian, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Having Schwartz over Ryan as head coach wouldn't be a hill I'd choose to die on either if my job was on the line like Whaley's has been the past few years.

The thing is though, Whaley's job hasn't been on the line. Pegulas said they consider him a "new" GM, and like Murray, they'd be fine with him supplying talent for a coach to work with in their hockey oriented 5 year cycle. If they turned to and spoke with Polian, who is anything but a shrinking violet, I really doubt Whaley would have harmed himself any by asserting his opinions (though who knows, maybe he did and we see the results).

The Jokeman
12-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Meh we struggled at run defense under Pettine and one of the better players we had then was Alan Branch. I'd look at Kyle Shanahan and see if can bring in a proven D-coordinator with him.

swiper
12-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Kyle Shanahan is terrible.

Mace
12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Meh we struggled at run defense under Pettine and one of the better players we had then was Alan Branch. I'd look at Kyle Shanahan and see if can bring in a proven D-coordinator with him.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Shanahan, he's fine in Atlanta with Julio Jones, Matt Ryan and company, but that sums him up.

On Pettine, hardly "meh", like I said he took us from 22nd to 10th, not Schwartz or Phillips caliber, but that was his first year as a DC in control, adapting a defense not built and tailored for him, and didn't go rigid Ryan hybrid. Being able to use Alan Branch because you're stuck with him isn't an insult, means you're capable of using players at hand.

They had run game and TE coverage issues, but it was an aggressive defense with Dareus having 7 sacks, Kyle having 10, Hughes 10 and Mario 13. Manny Lawson even had 4, Alonso 2, Da'Norris Searcy 3, Robey-Coleman 3, and even Jamaal Westerman with a half. They were coming from everywhere.

For one season with only Alonso, CB Jonathan Meeks, and S Duke Williams drafted for him, converting from Wannstedt's shameful vanilla 4-3, that's hardly "meh" if you were paying attention.

The Jokeman
12-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Kyle Shanahan is terrible.

Yeah I guess you're right he's doing a horrible job with Matt Ryan and Atlanta and did a pretty good job with RGIII as a rookie. Who would you we rather pursue?

Mace
12-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah I guess you're right he's doing a horrible job with Matt Ryan and Atlanta ��

The sentence kind of speaks for itself and not in favor of Kyle Shanahan's prowess.

The Jokeman
12-07-2016, 09:20 PM
The sentence kind of speaks for itself and not in favor of Kyle Shanahan's prowess.

Does it? Ryan is having a great season and outside of Julio Jones wouldn't say the rest if the Falcons offense is littered with star players.

Mace
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Does it? Ryan is having a great season and outside of Julio Jones wouldn't say the rest if the Falcons offense is littered with star players.

So you're saying Kyle Shanahan made Matt Ryan & Julio Jones good at last ?

swiper
12-07-2016, 09:36 PM

LOL.

swiper
12-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Jokeofaman needs to be reminded of what an incredible job Shanahan did everywhere else he's been. Donovan McNabb & RGIII would like to straighten him out on the subject.

Mace
12-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Jokeofaman needs to be reminded of what an incredible job Shanahan did everywhere else he's been. Donovan McNabb & RGIII would like to straighten him out on the subject.

Shanahan's teams are 63-78 since he's been a coordinator. He's the Rob Ryan of OC's.

Luisito23
12-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Shanahan would be great...As a QB coach only!...No more, no less.

BertSquirtgum
12-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Gross. I'd rather rest my face on someone's butt cheeks and let them fart.

The Jokeman
12-08-2016, 05:50 AM

Both are talented yes but Ryan's having one of his best seasons without having Roddy White or Tony Gonzalez.