PDA

View Full Version : Bills GM, no decision made on Taylor yet, interesting thing though ....

Mace
12-10-2016, 05:51 PM
We've said from Day 1 that we're going to give him this whole season, and after that, we'll sit down with the coaches, the ownership group and make the decision."

Hmm..."ownership group", not "owners".......

Do you think.....could you suppose.....might you wonder......

The uninvolved, detached, disinclined, sooooo busy.....

_uss B_andon ?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18241673/buffalo-bills-gm-says-no-decision-made-qb-tyrod-taylor-remaining-starter-next-season

Yasgur's Farm
12-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Anybody tell IC yet?

Yasgur's Farm
12-10-2016, 06:14 PM
And yes... Russ Brandon inherited a small portion of the Bills.

YardRat
12-10-2016, 06:27 PM
There's a reason his title includes 'Managing Partner'.

Mace
12-10-2016, 07:22 PM
There's a reason his title includes 'Managing Partner'.

Football wizard to match GM'ing wizard Whaley, Coaching/defensive wizard Rex, Ownership wizards Pegulas.

I forgive Kim in all this though, the poor, lovely woman.

OpIv37
12-10-2016, 09:41 PM
This is nothing but GM media savvy. There are four games left and our only outside shot at the playoffs is to win them all. If Taylor knows he's gone, or knows he's safe, he'll have no motivation to finish strong either way. It's the only way to keep him movtivated. Additionally, Taylor hasn't been good enough to commit to keeping him or bad enough to commit to cutting him. Being undecided keeps the fan base interested in watching.

Mace
12-10-2016, 11:10 PM
This is nothing but GM media savvy. There are four games left and our only outside shot at the playoffs is to win them all. If Taylor knows he's gone, or knows he's safe, he'll have no motivation to finish strong either way. It's the only way to keep him movtivated. Additionally, Taylor hasn't been good enough to commit to keeping him or bad enough to commit to cutting him. Being undecided keeps the fan base interested in watching.

You can't really believe Whaley is savvy at anything but agreeing with someone above him, and you can't really believe the Bills are playing this with any cleverness, can you ? I mean really ?

They really don't have a clue or they'd be sure to point it out.

WagonCircler
12-11-2016, 12:45 AM
This is nothing but GM media savvy. There are four games left and our only outside shot at the playoffs is to win them all. If Taylor knows he's gone, or knows he's safe, he'll have no motivation to finish strong either way..

If that's what it takes to motivate a QB, he's not worth keeping.

sudzy
12-11-2016, 05:45 AM
If that's what it takes to motivate a QB, he's not worth keeping.

That doesn't matter to the Bills. This is what you should expect from a team with a marketing guy at the top. It doesn't matter if you make the playoffs. We need to think about buts in the seats. They need to sell whatever suspense there is left in the season.

swiper
12-11-2016, 06:02 AM
Taylor, like Fitpatrick is nothing more than a back-up QB. He would be good in that role. But he's not a starting QB.

It's telling that guys like Taylor and Fitzpatrick are getting the type of contracts they are with the lousy play they have had. In NYC the hand-wringing over ever minute that Fitzpatrick hadn't signed a contract this past of-season was lunacy. People were going nuts that the Jets couldn't get the guy signed. Calls for "pay him whatever it takes" were heard every day. Same thing that happened in Buffalo before Nix threw stupid money his way.

If colleges are going to continue to play the run & shoot, then the NFL has to find an avenue to develop young QBs in to what they need.

jamze132
12-11-2016, 06:39 AM
You can't really believe Whaley is savvy at anything but agreeing with someone above him, and you can't really believe the Bills are playing this with any cleverness, can you ? I mean really ?

They really don't have a clue or they'd be sure to point it out.

I'd like to see Whaley get a fair shot at building a team. He was forced into drafting EJ instead of literally anyone else, Rex flipping Ryan was forced on him, which kind of meant Tyrod was forced on him.

I'd love to see Rex fired and let Whaley hire the next HC without influence. He's brought a lot of talent to the team and is turning out to be a pretty good guy in the draft room.

YardRat
12-11-2016, 07:25 AM
I agree with Kurt Warner's general philosophy on this one, even though his comment was made regarding a different QB...If you're going to invest that kind of money (Taylor would be just above $30mil, Kurt was talking about the $20mil range), you better be awful damn confident that he's the guy that can lead your team to a Super Bowl. To me, he's not that guy.

swiper
12-11-2016, 07:56 AM
I agree with Kurt Warner's general philosophy on this one, even though his comment was made regarding a different QB...If you're going to invest that kind of money (Taylor would be just above $30mil, Kurt was talking about the $20mil range), you better be awful damn confident that he's the guy that can lead your team to a Super Bowl. To me, he's not that guy.

Were you NOT going to pay Fitz when Nix did? LOL. What would have happened then? What about Taylor? The braintrust at OBD knew Manuel wasn't the guy. They had no better option.

The problem with the Bills (with Fitz & Taylor) and the Jets (with Fitz) was, however, they were forced to throw big money b/c the QB in question was the best option for them at the time.

That's why I think the team should have roster exemptions for young QBs. Let each team to keep 3 developmental QBs for 3 years each. Or something like that. So the pro coaches can develop them. Hopefully one guy rises from each batch.

TacklingDummy
12-11-2016, 08:12 AM

Go the Brian Hoyer way, why pay someone $30 million who's not going to get you to the playoffs when you can pay someone $2 million.

Novacane
12-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Go the Brian Hoyer way, why pay someone $30 million who's not going to get you to the playoffs when you can pay someone $2 million.

EJ?

djjimkelly
12-11-2016, 09:02 AM
bottom line we have the best running attack in the league

and tyrod has us as the worst passing team

he ****ing sucks

Turf
12-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Even if they commit to Tyrod as good enough and can eat his salary, it keeps them from spending resources on finding the real starting QB you need. IMO for this reason they have to cut ties and let him go. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd take Cutler right now.

Mace
12-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see Whaley get a fair shot at building a team. He was forced into drafting EJ instead of literally anyone else, Rex flipping Ryan was forced on him, which kind of meant Tyrod was forced on him.

I'd love to see Rex fired and let Whaley hire the next HC without influence. He's brought a lot of talent to the team and is turning out to be a pretty good guy in the draft room.

Not really so sure about this. I like Whaley's pro personnel skills & pickups, not his drafting. Preston Brown & maybe Miller are his only solid draftees at this point. Darby's suddenly looking shaky. Run blocking is always easier for linemen then pass blocking so I'm not even sure about Miller.

Then again, director of pro personnel is Rob Hanrahan, you always hear Whaley talking about scouting college players. So how much of the pro personnel success is Hanrahan ?

Just not a fan of Whaley as a GM.

Turf
12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Whaley's a good scout but he's not GM material. But hell, Pegula extended him already for some reason, so he's staying where he is.