PDA

View Full Version : Whaley doesn't want Cardale to start, he wants Freaking EJ. Unbelievable.

WagonCircler
12-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Whaley the hack STILL hasn't given up on EJ. What possible other reason could there be for him advocating starting EJ for the final three games? Whaley is a complete idiot.

The News also learned before the game that Ryan and General Manager Doug Whaley, whose future with the team appears to be secure, had a disagreement over the future of quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

Ryan apparently wanted to stick with Taylor as the starter for the rest of the season and have him be the team's long-term answer at the position. But Whaley would prefer that Taylor sit through the final three games, avoiding the possibility of injury that could potentially force the Bills to pay him $30.75 million of an injury guarantee even if he doesn't play next season.

Originally, it was thought that Whaley wanted to see rookie Cardale Jones play the final three games, but the GM instead could be pushing for veteran backup EJ Manuel because he think Jones is far too raw to play at this point.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryan-coaching-final-three-games-bills/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1481508522

WagonCircler
12-11-2016, 09:56 PM
So this is TWO wars with Head Coaches over them not wanting to start the horrendous EJ Manuel.

You couldn't write this stuff.

TacklingDummy
12-11-2016, 09:59 PM
EJ may suck but at least he throws over the middle.

Mr. Pink
12-11-2016, 10:03 PM
At least Whaley is right on this argument. EJ is better than Tyrod.

Not that that takes much or is a ringing endorsement.

I like his logic for not playing Tyrod anymore, not wanting to risk paying that injury money. If I was Whaley right now and there was a thought in my mind that Tyrod would play Sunday vs Cleveland...I'd just cut Tyrod during the week.

Cardale should play vs Cleveland though.

Mace
12-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Whaley just loves him some guys Whaley drafted.

Novacane
12-11-2016, 10:15 PM
This organization is embarrassing.

djjimkelly
12-11-2016, 10:23 PM
well im happy if its gonna be ej it should have been EJ at halftime

kingJofNYC
12-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Honestly, with that clause in the contract, and with how Tyrod runs and throws his body around, you'd probably want the coach to do the same thing.

Sounds like Whaley wants to tank the rest of the year and not be on the hook for 30 million. Should still be fired with Rex however, because he's the idiot who negotiated that **** in the first place.

Turf
12-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Picked a hell of a day to stop sniffing glue.

ICRockets
12-12-2016, 12:11 AM
You recognize that's exactly where Tyrod hit Sammy for a touchdown today, right? For ****'s sake, even when Tyrod has a game as putrid as this one, you can't just be HONEST about the ways in which it was bad?

BertSquirtgum
12-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Whaley is smart. Why ruin another quarterback by throwing him in early?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, with that clause in the contract, and with how Tyrod runs and throws his body around, you'd probably want the coach to do the same thing.

Sounds like Whaley wants to tank the rest of the year and not be on the hook for 30 million. Should still be fired with Rex however, because he's the idiot who negotiated that **** in the first place.
Actually, Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf did.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-12-2016, 12:57 AM
Any other team except maybe Cleveland or San Fran this would be unbelievable. Unfortunately, as a Bills fan this type of stupidity is all too believable.

Luisito23
12-12-2016, 01:21 AM
Yup, can't complain, or can't expect nothing but stupidity from this joke of a franchise.

Buddo
12-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Actually makes a lot of sense to me. We may need/want EJ as a backup next year, if Jones is still as raw as people are saying - including Vic Carucci, who gets to watch practices.

I don't think for one moment that it's a case of Whaley hasn't given up on EJ, rather that it's the best we can do of the current mess we are in.

We've currently got a pretty good track record of ruining QB prospects, EJ included, and putting Jones in, could well really cement that, especially if he is that raw still. We can probably still beat the Browns, even with him in, but I seriously doubt the same would happen against the 'Phins and Jest, both of whose D-Lines are pretty decent. 'Seeing what we have' with Jones, is pretty pointless, where he's still allegedly 'that raw', and is nothing but a sop to fans, while doing absolutely nothing for his development.

Sometimes the GM has to do things that are better for the franchise overall, and this, to me, seems like one of those situations. Taylor's performance yesterday, was the one that gave no doubt he isn't getting the option picked up, so why risk being on the hook for a bunch of guaranteed money, in case of injury.

Of course, because Whaley is closely associated with the Manuel pick, the media will spin it like he's still getting a chance, and I suppose, to a minor extent, that is true, but it's through circumstance rather than any desire to re-anoint him as a starter for next season.

YardRat
12-12-2016, 05:59 AM
I don't have an issue with Whaley's logic, I'd want Taylor inactive for the rest of the season...there is zero valid argument for risking $30mil at this point when the season is done over an injury. I'd really like to see what Cardale can do the rest of the season, but if EJ plays instead I'm OK with that too and don't think it's any indication that Whaley still believes that Manuel is any kind of answer. Hell, if I'm Pegula I'm making that call myself...I'm already eating $15mil-plus when I boot Wrecks this week, there is no way in hell I am tripling down and risking another 30.

The Jokeman
12-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Whaley the hack STILL hasn't given up on EJ. What possible other reason could there be for him advocating starting EJ for the final three games? Whaley is a complete idiot.

The News also learned before the game that Ryan and General Manager Doug Whaley, whose future with the team appears to be secure, had a disagreement over the future of quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

Ryan apparently wanted to stick with Taylor as the starter for the rest of the season and have him be the team's long-term answer at the position. But Whaley would prefer that Taylor sit through the final three games, avoiding the possibility of injury that could potentially force the Bills to pay him $30.75 million of an injury guarantee even if he doesn't play next season.

Originally, it was thought that Whaley wanted to see rookie Cardale Jones play the final three games, but the GM instead could be pushing for veteran backup EJ Manuel because he think Jones is far too raw to play at this point.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryan-coaching-final-three-games-bills/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1481508522

Clearly this article isn't an endorsement for EJ but rather have him play because the other two options make less sense.

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2016, 06:52 AM
I want to see EJ again as well. That's how awful it is watching Taylor try to play QB. Newsflash: teams have figured Tyrod out. Force him to stay in the pocket, and you will win.

TacklingDummy
12-12-2016, 07:34 AM
You recognize that's exactly where Tyrod hit Sammy for a touchdown today, right? For ****'s sake, even when Tyrod has a game as putrid as this one, you can't just be HONEST about the ways in which it was bad?

Haha, 1 throw over the middle does not make a season.

How do we find Tyrods throw chart?

TacklingDummy
12-12-2016, 07:40 AM
We've currently got a pretty good track record of ruining QB prospects, EJ included, and putting Jones in, could well really cement that.

Do we ruin QB prospects or are they just not destined to be a very good?

IMO, you can't teach someone to be a good QB. Either they have what it takes or they don't.

feldspar
12-12-2016, 07:58 AM
If Cardale is too raw to start, then he's too raw to start. Personally, I don't think he's starting material...and I mean ever...I could be wrong, of course. But the Bills drafted him strictly with the purpose of developing him.

If you remember, the Bills' plan was to develop EJ, too. He wasn't really supposed to start his rookie year. That's why we picked up Kevin Kolb. Did starting EJ too soon "ruin" him? I don't know. I don't think so, but it probably didn't help his development.

Then again, Tyrod got 4 years of development time, and here we are. So it's hard to tell. Dak Prescott is doing very well right off the bat. Everyone's different.

Goobylal
12-12-2016, 09:00 AM

That's some real solid evidence right there. Don't buy it.

Bill Cody
12-12-2016, 09:15 AM
I'd rather watch EJ than Tie Rod the last 3 games. No problem there. Jones? Whatever. I have very little hope he's going to amount to anything anyway. He wasn't accurate in college. Play him, sit him <shrug>.

The Beef
12-12-2016, 09:18 AM
EJ back on a 1 year deal to compete for the starting job would be the most ridiculous **** ever.

Lets hope it happens.

jimmifli
12-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Sounds more like he doesn't want to break Cardale or be forced to pay Tyrod, I'm not hearing a vote of confidence in that statement.

Mahdi
12-12-2016, 09:22 AM

To be honest, the only thing Tyrod showed yesterday by finally hitting the middle of the field several times in the second half is that he has been playing scared all season and only when we were in PURE desperation with the season hanging by a thread did he finally muster up enough guts to start making NFL throws.

I want to see EJ before we see Cardale.

Arm of Harm
12-12-2016, 09:27 AM
I don't have an issue with Whaley's logic, I'd want Taylor inactive for the rest of the season...there is zero valid argument for risking $30mil at this point when the season is done over an injury. I'd really like to see what Cardale can do the rest of the season, but if EJ plays instead I'm OK with that too and don't think it's any indication that Whaley still believes that Manuel is any kind of answer. Hell, if I'm Pegula I'm making that call myself...I'm already eating $15mil-plus when I boot Wrecks this week, there is no way in hell I am tripling down and risking another 30.

The current QB controversy is as meaningless as a QB controversy between J.P. Losman, Trent Edwards, and Brian Brohm. With a QB controversy like that it doesn't matter which of the three guys wins.

The Bills should have two QB-related goals for the rest of the season. 1) Make absolutely sure they're not on the hook for Tyrod's $30 million. 2) Underscore Doug Whaley's inability to identify QB talent.

Goal 1) is easily accomplished as long as we avoid playing Taylor. As for goal 2), I'm not sure whether the best way to achieve that would be to revisit the E.J. Manuel bust, or to expose Cardale Jones' weaknesses.

Jimkelly12203
12-12-2016, 09:32 AM
The future at the QB position is not on the current roster. The most important thing the organization has to do right now is make sure that Taylor does not get hurt. If he has a season ending injury, we are required to pick up that option on him which would be an unmitigated disaster! He shouldn't even be allowed to practice and if it's possible, he should be released.

It would be catastrophic if Taylor got hurt and we were required to sign him.

WagonCircler
12-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Yes. To linebackers.

trapezeus
12-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Original post is insane. Why asbills fans we have to side with Rex vs Whaley or EJ vs tyrod vs EJ is beyond me.

The pegulas have to know that this is one of one of the worst organizations staffs in any company. The results haven't been there for 17 years. We don't need continuity. We need competency

ICRockets
12-12-2016, 11:20 AM
To be honest, the only thing Tyrod showed yesterday by finally hitting the middle of the field several times in the second half is that he has been playing scared all season and only when we were in PURE desperation with the season hanging by a thread did he finally muster up enough guts to start making NFL throws.

I want to see EJ before we see Cardale.

This represents an issue that is potentially trainable, or coachable, or curable in some way. It's absolutely possible that Tyrod, specifically, cannot be fixed in this regard. But I don't think an argument can be made that he has the right staff in place under Rex Ryan's supervision. The argument COULD be made, however, that if he ever had the right supervision in place that he could add these NFL throws to his current repertoire. I don't think that argument would be well-received around here, though, so as far as I'm concerned the more interesting conversation becomes: who's next?

I think Russ Brandon has already decided it's going to be Chad Kelly.

Mahdi
12-12-2016, 11:46 AM
This represents an issue that is potentially trainable, or coachable, or curable in some way. It's absolutely possible that Tyrod, specifically, cannot be fixed in this regard. But I don't think an argument can be made that he has the right staff in place under Rex Ryan's supervision. The argument COULD be made, however, that if he ever had the right supervision in place that he could add these NFL throws to his current repertoire. I don't think that argument would be well-received around here, though, so as far as I'm concerned the more interesting conversation becomes: who's next?

I think Russ Brandon has already decided it's going to be Chad Kelly.

Maybe, but what I saw yesterday tells me he is currently terrible at reading the field.

On his interception down the left sideline he had a seam route WIDE open and for some reason decides the the guy being doubled along the sideline was a better option than a sure TD.

I actually have a feeling TT will go on to be a decent starting QB for someone but he has made it impossible to keep him under his current contract.

Jimkelly12203
12-12-2016, 12:01 PM
He's definitely terrible at reading the field. It's a real problem. And when he does complete a pass, it's late and should have been thrown much sooner. He throws to open WRs when he sees them. He never throws a WR open. Tom Brady ****s his pants and goes crazy on players when they aren't where they are supposed to be. If Brady wants a WR to cut after 10 yards, it's 10 yards! Not 9, not 11... 10! And that's why the Pats are unstoppable. HE throws it to where WRs are supposed to be not where they are. And if they screw it up they're in trouble! If they screw it up enough (chad johnson) they won't be retained.

We aren't even on the same planet. Our passing attack has no smarts about it. No one knows what the hell they're doing most of all our QB.

The all 22s on Taylor have been beyond damning these last few weeks. Wide open players all over the place and he flat out doesn't even see them.

Jimkelly12203
12-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Here's a link to the clause in Taylor's contract that forces us to pick up his option if he gets injured. I don't presume to be an expert on NFL player contracts, but it is astonishing to me that Whaley and this front office would ever put ink on a contract with this clause. It's utterly astonishing to me! Could you imagine if Taylor tore his ACL in week 2? We'd be stuck with him and wouldn't even have had the benefit of a season to see if we wanted to resign him.

What kind of front office allows this language into the contract of a QB in Tyrod Taylor's situation circa this past Spring?

I'll tell you what kind of front office. The same kind that uses two draft picks on Sammy Watkins (a frill to be sure) with the intended goal being to help E.J. Manuel. E.J. Manuel... a guy with all of Taylor's flaws but who is more prone to turnovers.

Are we supposed to have faith that this front office is going to right the ship? That Rex is the only problem and if we can just fire Rex and hire a new head coach all will be right in the world? How freaking stupid do they think we are?

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/808359567226650625/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

senseofdoom
12-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Maybe, but what I saw yesterday tells me he is currently terrible at reading the field.

On his interception down the left sideline he had a seam route WIDE open and for some reason decides the the guy being doubled along the sideline was a better option than a sure TD.

I actually have a feeling TT will go on to be a decent starting QB for someone but he has made it impossible to keep him under his current contract.

I can't find the video but I'm pretty sure that was a LB in coverage too. That's something he should've seen pre-snap.

senseofdoom
12-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Found it. Not a great look but you can see Timmons in coverage. Watch how long it takes for Hunter to come back into the picture and that will give you an idea how wide open he was.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Burns-picks-off-Taylor/a2a8fd9d-176f-4842-a3bb-514fad27c3f0

SpikedLemonade
12-12-2016, 12:22 PM
The DP needs to just put a dildo under the Christmas tree for Kim and get rid of Whaley.

jimmifli
12-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Original post is insane. Why asbills fans we have to side with Rex vs Whaley or EJ vs tyrod vs EJ is beyond me.

The pegulas have to know that this is one of one of the worst organizations staffs in any company. The results haven't been there for 17 years. We don't need continuity. We need competency

Good organizations have continuity, therefore we'd be a good organization if we had continuity. That's the (flawed) logic.

What's missing is that continuity is a byproduct of competence not the other way around.

HAMMER
12-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Not seeing your logic here. Jones has been inactive all season, you can't just throw him into the fire without proper preparation.

Mouldsie
12-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Good organizations have continuity, therefore we'd be a good organization if we had continuity. That's the (flawed) logic.

What's missing is that continuity is a byproduct of competence not the other way around.
Yes

stuckincincy
12-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Not seeing your logic here. Jones has been inactive all season, you can't just throw him into the fire without proper preparation.

Well, he's been on the 53 man roster all season, and so has practiced all season long. Since they are on the outside looking in again, why not use him and see how he does? Some game experience can't hurt - if he's a nothing, better to find out now so as to better prepare for the future.

ICRockets
12-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Well, he's been on the 53 man roster all season, and so has practiced all season long. Since they are on the outside looking in again, why not use him and see how he does? Some game experience can't hurt - if he's a nothing, better to find out now so as to better prepare for the future.
That's what it hurts. Playing poorly in 3 games to end your rookie season, after not even dressing any other week, isn't going to tell you he's "a nothing". All it tells you is he isn't ready. Even if he never amounts to anything, you can't point to 3 games in these circumstances as proof that you knew it before anyone else.

stuckincincy
12-12-2016, 04:11 PM
That's what it hurts. Playing poorly in 3 games to end your rookie season, after not even dressing any other week, isn't going to tell you he's "a nothing". All it tells you is he isn't ready. Even if he never amounts to anything, you can't point to 3 games in these circumstances as proof that you knew it before anyone else.

Er - he actually has to play before he can be evaluated. And BUF handed over $545,848 to him this year for doing nothing but showing up to practice, getting fed and being flown to this or that city.

I don't give a flying F about any perceived damage to his precious feelings or not being prepared for a life of raking in millions - that's substantial jack he pocketed which should be motivation enough. It's up to him to be "ready." Eh?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

WagonCircler
12-12-2016, 04:15 PM

As is so often the case, you missed the entire point.

It's not about Rex vs Whaley, it's about the entire rotten tree. From Brandon to Whaley to Rex to his fat brother, to the three crappy QBs, to the goal post upright sniping kicker.

But of the three options, the one that makes the least sense is starting EJ, unless Whaley actually thinks he might re-sign him, which is bats.hit crazy.

ICRockets
12-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Er - he actually has to play before he can be evaluated. And BUF handed over $545,848 to him this year for doing nothing but showing up to practice, getting fed and being flown to this or that city.

I don't give a flying F about any perceived damage to his precious feelings or not being prepared for a life of raking in millions - that's substantial jack he pocketed which should be motivation enough. It's up to him to be "ready." Eh?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/
Where did I say anything about his feelings? I know you're a Republican, but does that prevent you from discussing ANYTHING like an intelligent entity?

WagonCircler
12-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Where did I say anything about his feelings? I know you're a Republican, but does that prevent you from discussing ANYTHING like an intelligent entity?

Have another doughnut, you fat stupid ****.

stuckincincy
12-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Nice try. Your history is to pick out a word or two and claim that as justification for your utterances. And try another tack if you are called for your games...most here are on to your M.O.

jimmifli
12-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Have another doughnut, you fat stupid ****.

So clever.

feldspar
12-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Looks like Tyrod is going to start next week against the Browns. I have no problem with that. I don't even care if they play him the last three games, just so long as the way he plays these 3 games won't sway the decision as to whether the Bills pick up his option.

I figure Ej to be gone anyway. If and when Tyrod goes, the Bills will be hunting for a new starter next year regardless of anything else IMO. No way in hell they should bank on Cardale Jones as their future no matter how he played in the last 3 games, two of which teams are horrible right now....the Browns and Jets are a combined 4-22. Playing well against those teams ain't gonna teach you a thing, especially since (I'm going out on a limb) the game-plan is going to be to hand off the ball.

The only thing, which has already been brought up, is that the Bills would be on the hook for huge money if Tyrod plays and gets hurt, regardless if they dump him or not. That's big, and should definitely be considered. EJ and Cardale...doesn't matter to me. Don't want either of them.

Bills are going to have to get lucky as **** to pick up a good QB next year too, though.

sudzy
12-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Like you said EJ sucks. So does Tyrod, we know that now. I'm not interested in which one sucks less. Time to give the guy that we don't know if he suck yet a chance to show us.

Turf
12-12-2016, 05:41 PM
In typical Bills fashion, we'll win out the next three and look great. Then management can talk about the injuries, stability, and player development, and nothing substantial will occur. I'm on the edge of forcing myself to stop being a fan of this team. And hey, they don't deserve a stadium downtown. I'm not sure the NFL will be worth as much in 10 years. Good job Roger.

ICRockets
12-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Nice try. Your history is to pick out a word or two and claim that as justification for your utterances. And try another tack if you are called for your games...most here are on to your M.O.
So...you don't like it when I respond to the things you say by paying attention to the things you say?

swiper
12-12-2016, 06:09 PM
At least Whaley is right on this argument. EJ is better than Tyrod.

Not that that takes much or is a ringing endorsement.

I like his logic for not playing Tyrod anymore, not wanting to risk paying that injury money. If I was Whaley right now and there was a thought in my mind that Tyrod would play Sunday vs Cleveland...I'd just cut Tyrod during the week.

Cardale should play vs Cleveland though.

STUPID and WRONG. I am ROFLMAO at the EJ-apologists/lovers all quickly line up with thanks. Taylor is the ONLY half-way viable QB on this roster. EJ Manuel is worst QB ever to wear red, white and blue. And Cardarale WTF doesn't even belong in the NFL. Keep Taylor in. You all are stupid ****ers.

WagonCircler
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
So clever.

I was always a Schoenfeld fan.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2016, 06:15 PM
STUPID and WRONG. I am ROFLMAO at the EJ-apologists/lovers all quickly line up with thanks. Taylor is the ONLY half-way viable QB on this roster. EJ Manuel is worst QB ever to wear red, white and blue. And Cardarale WTF doesn't even belong in the NFL. Keep Taylor in. You all are stupid ****ers.

I love how revisionist history has turned me into a fan of EJ or an EJ apologist.

At this point, I'd take JP ****ing Losman back at QB over Tyrod. Am I a JP apologist too?

Outside of the Browns, Tyrod would start nowhere else. When he inevitably gets released, he'll catch on somewhere to be a backup while getting paid a pittance of what he would have made next year if he could even simply pretend to know how to throw a football.

mdcas22
12-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Tyrod Taylor to remain Bills starterPosted by Josh Alper on December 12, 2016, 5:00 PM EST
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/629152882-e1481580039120.jpg?w=250
Getty ImagesAfter the Bills lost to the Steelers on Sunday afternoon, Bills coach Rex Ryan said “we’ll see (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/11/rex-ryan-doesnt-commit-to-tyrod-taylor-for-next-week/)” when he was asked if there was a chance that the team would make a quarterback change.
Ryan and company took the night before making their announcement on Monday. That announcement is that Tyrod Taylor (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6509/tyrod-taylor) will remain the team’s starter for their home game against the Browns.
Ryan said that he’s felt all season that Taylor gives the Bills their best chance (https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/808426366614077440) to win games and that he still feels that way heading into Week 15.
Taylor has not been as effective this year as he was in his first year as Buffalo’s starter and the team ranks 31st in passing yards, although some of his difficulties could be attributed to injuries elsewhere on offense over the course of the season. Whatever the case, the Bills’ issues stopping the run are just one example of the other issues that have plagued the team this season.
The Bills will still have to make a decision about Taylor’s long-term future with the team once the season is over. Given the reports of Ryan’s possible departure, that call will likely not be the first thing on their to-do list when another disappointing year comes to an end in Buffalo.
Share this: