PDA

View Full Version : I don't know about changing coaches and GMs, you need a QB.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-12-2016, 02:25 PM
It's quite clear in NFL - either you have it or you don't. That it is QB.

Imagine Belichick without Brady, Cowher without Roethlisberger, on and on.

The days of 2000 Ravens are once in a generation kind of thing that you cannot bank on.

The trouble of QB though, is that no one is consistently good at it. In my mind, Belichick and Shanahan are the closest to having it figured out --- not because they have the unusual eyes for QB talent, but they kept and keep devoting valuable resources to it.

I hope the Pegulas understand that - they ought to talk to the Rooneys if they hope to be successful owners. No more build a team and then expect a QB walks in. So what you may ruin a QB? if he can be ruined, then he's not the one.

Bill Cody
12-12-2016, 02:54 PM
I will concede the obvious point that you need a QB to win in this league, now more than ever. But your examples are weak.

BB got Brady for a 6th rounder, the 199th pick to be exact taken simply because he was the highest rated player on their board at that point in the draft. A tiny investment that became a winning lottery pick. Nothing else they've done since matters much although they have drafted a few decent players (Castle, with a 7th, Garrapolo with a 2nd, Hoyer as a FA). They drafted a HOF QB and they won. Shanahan inherited a HOF QB in Elway and he won. Nothing else he ever did with QB's was very successful. Jake Plummer? Hmm ok. RG3? Nah...

We've invested quite a bit in QB's, certainly more than NE. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe. Spent a 1st a 2nd and a 5th on Losman. A third on Edwards. A first on EJ. A 4th on Jones. Bledsoe was the only good player out of that group. We've tried and we've just failed. I don't think Doug Whaley would know a good QB if he came up and bit him on the nose. So you need luck and skill. Last time I checked Buffalo has neither.

justasportsfan
12-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes you need a qb. But you also need a coach to place him in situations to succeed just like the ones you mentioned. Rex isn't that guy. Rex was not able to place his D in a situation to succeed but he did get them to they play the worst run D in franchise history AT HOME.

Dick Jauron looks like a HOF compared to Rex.

stuckincincy
12-12-2016, 03:17 PM
I will concede the obvious point that you need a QB to win in this league, now more than ever. But your examples are weak.

BB got Brady for a 6th rounder, the 199th pick to be exact taken simply because he was the highest rated player on their board at that point in the draft. A tiny investment that became a winning lottery pick. Nothing else they've done since matters much although they have drafted a few decent players (Castle, with a 7th, Garrapolo with a 2nd, Hoyer as a FA). They drafted a HOF QB and they won. Shanahan inherited a HOF QB in Elway and he won. Nothing else he ever did with QB's was very successful. Jake Plummer? Hmm ok. RG3? Nah...

We've invested quite a bit in QB's, certainly more than NE. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe. Spent a 1st a 2nd and a 5th on Losman. A third on Edwards. A first on EJ. A 4th on Jones. Bledsoe was the only good player out of that group. We've tried and we've just failed. I don't think Doug Whaley would know a good QB if he came up and bit him on the nose. So you need luck and skill. Last time I checked Buffalo has neither.

In the run-up to the 2011 draft, CIN was salivating over Dalton and doing everything but putting up billboards, and perennially QB-starved BUF went ahead and picked Aaron Williams in the 2nd at #34 and then CIN tapped Dalton at #35. You would think that the BUF management would have had picked up the signs. There is luck, skill, and just plain...dumb.

Then in 2012, they grab Manual in the 1st.

WagonCircler
12-12-2016, 03:19 PM
We need a GM to select or find the QB. If Doug Whaley is still in charge of that process, we are fuct.

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Belichick went 11-5 without Brady in 2008 and 3-1 this year. Cowher averaged 9.6 wins per season with Big Ben.

EDS
12-12-2016, 03:42 PM
It's quite clear in NFL - either you have it or you don't. That it is QB.

The days of 2000 Ravens are once in a generation kind of thing that you cannot bank on.

The trouble of QB though, is that no one is consistently good at it. In my mind, Belichick and Shanahan are the closest to having it figured out --- not because they have the unusual eyes for QB talent, but they kept and keep devoting valuable resources to it.

I hope the Pegulas understand that - they ought to talk to the Rooneys if they hope to be successful owners. No more build a team and then expect a QB walks in. So what you may ruin a QB? if he can be ruined, then he's not the one.

Until the Bills get someone who knows football and that has full authority or coaching and player personnel decisions this franchise is not going to be successful on the field. Nothing about Whaley and Brandon evidences to me the ability to construct a cohesive system.

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Belichick went 11-5 without Brady in 2008 and 3-1 this year. Cowher averaged 9.6 wins per season with Big Ben.

That should say *without* Ben.

cookie G
12-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Of the teams with better records than the Bills in the AFC:

-all but Oakland and NE (after tonight) scored more points;

Of that same group, only Tennessee and Oakland have given up more points.

That's 3rd out of 10 in points scored;
and 7th out of 10 in points allowed;

Im' all for upgrading the position...and have said so for years,

but the guy messed up a playoff defense. This is a playoff team without his defense

stuckincincy
12-12-2016, 04:23 PM
That should say *without* Ben.

Cowher got handed a SB title:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Super-Bowl-XL-head-official-admits-to-blown-call?urn=nfl%2C260901

Mouldsie
12-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Finding a franchise QB will be difficult coming up. The college ranks don't have a Marcus Mariota upcoming this year. The best looking prospect over the next 2 drafts might be Josh Rosen if he declares in 2018 but he's still potential more than finished product. Obviously some will emerge but scouting these guys isn't going to be as easy as it has been in the past.

Maybe I just don't watch enough NCAA football anymore.

Mouldsie
12-12-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm still a believer that Jared Goff can be one, maybe the Rams will give up on him with a new staff and GM haha

SpikedLemonade
12-12-2016, 06:26 PM
There is no way these clowns could draft/acquire/identify a potential franchise QB and there is no way the other clowns could develop/nurture/coach a player into becoming a franchise QB.

Doug and Rex must go.

A seasoned NFL executive who only reports to the DP must be hired and he will select his GM who in turn will hire his HC.

Basic organizational design fellas.

feldspar
12-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Finding a franchise QB will be difficult coming up. The college ranks don't have a Marcus Mariota upcoming this year. The best looking prospect over the next 2 drafts might be Josh Rosen if he declares in 2018 but he's still potential more than finished product. Obviously some will emerge but scouting these guys isn't going to be as easy as it has been in the past.

Maybe I just don't watch enough NCAA football anymore.

There is that...maybe there isn't anyone worthy there at QB to be drafted, no matter who is the GM, Head Coach, or President.

EJ Manuel isn't that much worse at all than any other QB taken in that draft IMO...not so far. Bill Polian thought Landry Jones was the best QB coming out of that draft. Could be? Is HIS book written?

It's true though...sometimes you just can't win picking a QB in the draft no matter where you pick. We all should know this, even if we pay attention in the corner of our eye.

Tyrod Taylor might be right up there with the highest sought-after free agents at QB in free agency, too. Dunno who else will be available in free agency...

It'll be very tough, regardless. No easy fix just to fire people and let others walk.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-12-2016, 07:51 PM
All good points. You can win without a top flight QB. But you cannot win the big prize, which should be what Pegulas are aiming for. I know Cowher has won here many years in Pittsburgh, but only when he got Roethlisberger, he went over the top.

No one, and I mean it, no one has 20/20 sight in drafting QBs. There is a lot of luck involved in drafting a QB, more so than any other positions. But recognizing the importance of QB, you should take the plunge whenever you have a chance. I listed Belichick's example because he kept drafting QBs even with a steady and healthy Brady on the team. Shanahan tried in Denver, and when he gets to the Redskins, he traded all those picks for Griffin and turn around invested a 4th on Cousins in the same year.

I liked the way they drafted Trent Edwards, a forward looking move. And I liked the draft of Cardale Jones. Didn't like the forced move of drafting Losman and EJ. Even then, that's 4 QBs picked in the last 16 years when you don't have one. That just does not cut it.

Mace
12-12-2016, 07:52 PM
We need a GM to select or find the QB. If Doug Whaley is still in charge of that process, we are fuct.

Need a better scouting staff too. The Graham article pointed out we still have the Nix guys in place who haven't been able to find a QB.

BillsFanCupp38
12-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Plenty of teams out there with good QB's that are not that good. Phillip rivers, drew brees, Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck. I would consider all these qb's to be top 10 in the league but their teams are just plain awful. Need more than just a QB. Belichick is so successful because of Brady but he also always has a consistent run game and defense. Need an elite coach to win in this league. A good QB doesn't hurt but need all aspects to be something special.

Victor7
12-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Yes of course you need a good QB to win.

But you also need the right people to find that QB. Douglas Whaley is not that person. The 3 QB's in our roster are living proof of his inadequacy. All athletic guys with good arms, questionable (at best) accuracy that all run better than they pass. Call me old fashioned but I would like my QB's number 1 trait to be his passing, not his running.

Mace
12-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Plenty of teams out there with good QB's that are not that good. Phillip rivers, drew brees, Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck. I would consider all these qb's to be top 10 in the league but their teams are just plain awful. Need more than just a QB. Belichick is so successful because of Brady but he also always has a consistent run game and defense. Need an elite coach to win in this league. A good QB doesn't hurt but need all aspects to be something special.

People don't like paying attention to the rest of that. All those guys are what you'd consider mythical "franchise QB" material. With old sympathy for Archie Manning, "the franchise QB without a franchise", a QB needs a team around him.

Sadly, I can see Taylor winning a Super Bowl with last years Broncos, and I'm no fan of Taylor. If they could elevate the rest of the stupid team they'd give their bad QB choices a better chance at least, imho.