PDA

View Full Version : Why Tyrod Starts/Playoff Chances?

Mahdi
12-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Well I didn't understand why Tyrod was named started for this week but if you look at the playoff standings the Bills still actually have a chance to make it in still.

Indianapolis, Denver, Tennessee, Baltimore and Miami ALL have a tough road ahead for the last WC spot while the Bills have the easiest schedule remaining on paper.

Rec: 6-7 -- Colts: @Minnesota, @Oakland, Jacksonville

Rec: 7-6 -- Tennessee: @KC, @Jacksonville, Houston

Rec: 7-6 -- Baltimore: Philadelphia, @Pittsburgh, @Cincinnati

Rec: 8-5 -- Miami: @Jets, @Bills, New England

Rec: 8-5 -- Denver: New England, @KC, Oakland

That is why Tyrod had to continue as starter... Imagine if things fell into place and the Bills had gone into offseason mode...

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2016, 07:34 AM
We're 11th in the AFC right now. That's as close to last place as it is to a 6th place wild card.

Mahdi
12-13-2016, 07:37 AM
We're 11th in the AFC right now. That's as close to last place as it is to a 6th place wild card.

I didn't say chances were good, just not as far fetched as I/everyone originally thought.

OpIv37
12-13-2016, 07:43 AM
At this point, any playoff chances that involve us winning games are far-fetched.

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2016, 07:49 AM
I didn't say chances were good, just not as far fetched as I/everyone originally thought.

They're exactly how far fetched most people thought, which is extremely far fetched. Our season was over when we lost to Oakland.

Bench Tyrod.

Jaybird
12-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Any team that allows 2 running backs to gain over 200 yards rushing does not have a chance

Ed
12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Except the Bills are two games out of 6th place and last place is 0-13 so it's not that close. I get the point though. The Bills have no business making the playoffs, but considering their schedule and the other teams schedules, I agree with Mahdi that it's not as far fetched as I thought.

It certainly wouldn't be shocking if the Broncos and Fins both lost their last three. And even if they both finish 9-7 the Bills can still win tie-breakers against them.

I have zero expectations of this team actually having a chance, but it makes sense from the Bills perspective to still at least try and do everything they can to win these last few games.

trapezeus
12-13-2016, 10:20 AM
if they squeak on some off chance and then lose big in the playoffs, the team can spin it that they really need continuity. seeing that winning out and getting in is the most harmful long term projection that could happen to this team, book it.

but in seriousness, the bills lose to Cleveland. and it will suck that we will have to wait until Monday to fire rex.

John Doe
12-13-2016, 10:27 AM
As long as the team is not mathematically eliminated, they have to play to win - no matter what the odds are. Its as simple as that.

Bill Cody
12-13-2016, 11:08 AM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwji7cul1vHQAhUJLmMKHVQwAw4QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topropepress.com%2Ffeatures%2F32213%2Ffive-thoughts-on-wwe-battleground-2016%2Fattachment%2Fso-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance%2F&psig=AFQjCNELV809ais9p4uusg9YV4kUKfnn7g&ust=148173584059973217889

Albany,n.y.
12-13-2016, 11:19 AM
I hope Cleveland beats us on Sunday so these playoff posts stop & we can replace them with more new coach speculation posts.

Victor7
12-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Read on another board that Tyrod has a clause in his contract that guarantees his deal if he gets hurt this season.

Now if true this is the cusp of Whaley's stupidity and reason number 1 for us NOT to play Tyrod anymore. Play Cardale so we can also see how bad he sucks and we can go into the 2017 draft thinking QB and nothing more.

Who the F*** gives out an injury clause like that to an unproven RUNNING quarterback ?? The ineptitude on this team is staggering.

YardRat
12-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Clean house now before we fall farther behind. LA already has a leg up on us in the Looking for New HC department.

If I were Pegs and Taylor gets hurt this week, I start throwing **** at people.

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Doesn't Tyrod's injury clause only cover a career ending injury? What are the odds of that happening?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/16/12505676/full-tyrod-taylor-annual-contract-breakdowns

If Taylor suffered a career-ending injury, the injury guaranteed money in the contract is $37 million

stuckincincy
12-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Doesn't Tyrod's injury clause only cover a career ending injury? What are the odds of that happening?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/16/12505676/full-tyrod-taylor-annual-contract-breakdowns

Probably small.

I still don't understand why the felt they had to offer him that generous extension this past August. You would think they would have had some memory of the $$$ that they dumped in Fitz' wallet several years ago. As well as the bundle they plopped in Kyle Orton's lap...

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2016, 09:48 PM
I still don't understand why the felt they had to offer him that generous extension this past August.

I remember doing nothing but *****ing about the news of his extension. It was such a bad idea.

stuckincincy
12-13-2016, 09:55 PM
I remember doing nothing but *****ing about the news of his extension. It was such a bad idea.

Here's a blurb from the Buf News prior to the extension:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/04/18/tyrod-taylor-know-contract-signed-last-year/

Why this club is in love with stabbing themselves in the neck, I'll never know...

Mahdi
12-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Bottom line, the Bills would have been in this position at this point in the season no matter what...

If the Bills had not given Tyrod any new money (9 mil for a QB is peanuts BTW) he would have been a pissed off QB starting for your hopeful franchise and either way they would have been exactly where we are now. Trying to determine whether or not they should pay Tyrod a lot more money and committing to him for at least another 2 years.

The only thing the extension did was give their starting QB below average QB money. The situation the Bills are in right now is so tough.

1. Cut Tyrod, no QB solution in sight for a team ready to win now
2. Sign Tyrod and he does not improve and you have committed cap dollars to him that you can't give to another vet (you can draft a prospect high though for little monetary cost)

3. Cut Tyrod and convince him to re-sign for a modest contract that allows you to bring in another vet and have a 4 man competition with him, vet, Cardale, Rookie.

Mr. Pink
12-14-2016, 01:08 PM
The choice is pretty simple...

Keep Tyrod and finish around .500. Start Manuel and finish around .500

Pay Manuel 5m to do it, pay Tyrod 27m to do it.

hmmmmm, tough choice.

NO, neither guy is the answer, but why pay more for the same exact result?

So the real solution is try something different that isn't on the roster or if you think Cardale has any potential then take your lumps for a year.