• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Rooney Rule question

If we fire Rex and promote Lynn, would we still have to abide by the Rooney Rule? If not, why not? Is the Rooney Rule only a one-way equal opportunity rule?
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Rooney Rule question

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    If we fire Rex and promote Lynn, would we still have to abide by the Rooney Rule? If not, why not? Is the Rooney Rule only a one-way equal opportunity rule?
    As far as I know, you can interview ONLY black guys.

No need to interview whitey.

You can just hire a black guy and not interview anyone besides that one guy, I think. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The reason being to prevent racial discrimination...you'll have to figure that one out on your own. HAVE to interview blacks, but not whites...that wipes out racial discrimination?

Orientals get beat every time...sorry, buddy.
    Last edited by feldspar; 12-13-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

I believe they still have to formally conduct an interview to meet the rule.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

I'm sure they can interview a big name from the 90's who is currently assistant DB coach for Podunk State because his son is on the team.

The guy will have no chance at landing the job but it'll get fan attention. "OMG Henry Jones may coach them team!"
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
          As far as I know, you can interview ONLY black guys.

No need to interview whitey.

You can just hire a black guy and not interview anyone besides that one guy, I think. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. The reason being to prevent racial discrimination...you'll have to figure that one out on your own. HAVE to interview blacks, but not whites...that wipes out racial discrimination?

Orientals get beat every time...sorry, buddy.
          What about hispanics?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Does the Rooney Rule apply for internal promotions? I don't think it does but have no source to back up that claim.

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              What about hispanics?
              **** 'em.

Comment

• BLeonard
                BoB Sabermetrician
                • Jan 2003

The answer is no, they would not... Mike Singletary took over as 49ers Interim Head Coach in 08 and they did not need to have a "Rooney Rule" interview to remove the interim tag.

If you're asking about promoting Lynn to interim for the rest of this season, but not keeping him as HC in 2017, then they would need to interview a minority, though I'm guessing they'd simply interview Lynn in that case.

-Bill

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                  • Nov 2007

Idiotic liberal kumbaya bull****.
                  I came.
                  I saw.
                  I conquered.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

because before the rule there were so many minority coaches right? seems like the rule is helpful. but I get that there is a false sense that promoting equality only hurts white people. that's your conservative garbage line spouted off.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

For those that aren't aware the Rooney Rule applies to any minority candidate (regardless of race/ethnicity) for a Head Coach vacancy and applies to either a minority or female candidate for executive positions.

Despite what a small, but vocal, minority of fans believe, the Rooney Rule has been seen as a highly successful initiative by the NFL. Which is why Goodell announced the expansion of it in February of this year.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        For those that aren't aware the Rooney Rule applies to any minority candidate (regardless of race/ethnicity) for a Head Coach vacancy and applies to either a minority or female candidate for executive positions.

Despite what a small, but vocal, minority of fans believe, the Rooney Rule has been seen as a highly successful initiative by the NFL. Which is why Goodell announced the expansion of it in February of this year.
                        Do you think that it has led to more minorities being hired?

Because it seems to me that a true racist wouldn't hire a minority anyway, regardless of the rule. Grandmaster of the KKK isn't going to hire a black guy to run his billion-dollar organization just because he has to interview him, no?

...devil's advocate...

It's really an empty BS rule IMO, no matter what it's intention is...either you like a guy with his qualifications or you don't. Race only matters as long as people keep bringing it up.
                        Last edited by feldspar; 12-13-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Do you think that's it has led to more minorities being hired?
                          Yes and the numbers support that.

Prior to the Rooney Rule's enactment in 2002 the NFL had only 6% of its Head Coaches as minorities, that figure now is at 18.75% and has been as high as 22%. That's a pretty good jump in only 14 years.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            Yes and the numbers support that.

Prior to the Rooney Rule's enactment in 2002 the NFL had only 6% of its Head Coaches as minorities, that figure now is at 18.75% and has been as high as 22%. That's a pretty good jump in only 14 years.
                            The numbers don't prove a thing.

Do you think that the Rooney Rule has rendered people less racist? That's the question IMO.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

The numbers don't prove a thing.
                              Ok, so you have number that prove that the hires would of happened without the rule?

Do you think that the Rooney Rule has rendered people less racist? That's the question IMO.
                              That wasn't the rules intent, so your question isn't relevant nor is it possible to measure how you determine if somebody is more or less racist.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X