X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Keep Rex, Keep Tyrod

If we actually take the time to evaluate the situation I think most rational people should come to the conclusion that firing Rex would not be a positive move for the Bills at this time.

Here are my reasons:

1. Injuries - Yes its an excuse but how about we actually look at it realistically, which other team would survive a season missing it's top 2 WR, 2-3 games without top RB, top RT, best coverage safety in a passing league, best defensive player and even our top 2 draft picks.

Yes every team goes through injuries but not to this extent and how many of them still win?

If the Giants for example were missing Odell Beckham, Sterling Shepherd, Landon Collins, JPP and Eli Apple would they be winning games? I highly doubt it.

2. Obviously Rex's defense is not where it should be, but he knows that and I think he just needs more time to get it where it will be a dominant defense. Firing Rex and tearing everything up again is not a positive step when you have a group of vets on defense especially that are ready to win now.

Ron Rivera went 6-10 in his first season and then 7-9 in his second before the Panthers won 34 of their next 48 games (excluding this season) and went to the SB.

This fan base should just be patient with this group of coaches. Rex will tighten up the defense and having guys like Dareus, Lawson, Ragland, and a couple of safeties will go a long way towards making the defense strong. We also have a really good OC in Anthony Lynn that if we continue with in that role, I think he will be a huge asset with a full off-season to plan and build his own playbook.

On to Tyrod, I think he needs to be kept. The options available at QB around the league are not there. Romo is an option but he will not come here. He can go to Denver or Arizona before us.

Yes Tyrod has struggled and infuriatingly so, however some QBs just need more time to figure it out. Vick was a dynamic passer in Philadelphia, he was Tyrod Taylor in Atlanta. I'm not saying put all our eggs in the TT basket, we still need to sign a vet backup and also draft another young QB. But we all know if Tyrod leaves he will help another team and he will get better and we will have lost a QB that can win for the Bills.

After 17 seasons its hard to think that patience makes any sense but this team is not that far away from being what the Chiefs, Ravens or Panthers are or have been.

Maybe for once Bills fans need to do something different for something different to happen. Every two years we call for someone's head and it happens. Then we repeat the cycle.

How about this time we go against our natural inclination to get someone fired and we instead show patience. Maybe then Bills fans will see a different result other than the same old story.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Keep Rex, Keep Tyrod

So tired of the injury excuse. We have a lot of injuries every year. Every single year. It's not going to stop. A coach who can't win with injuries simply can't win.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

ummmm... wat?

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

how many of those coaches actually had victories going into the second half and then had their specialty (defense) abused and lose the game. 2 this year for rex. he blew the KC game last year. he is just a guy with excuses. iagree that for some better coaches whose teams competed well with the deficiencies could do better with less injuries. Rex isn't a winning coach. he'll use all the resources possible to keep ending up in the same spot. We move from him and the Brandon regime and i'll be as patient as can be.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
          If we actually take the time to evaluate the situation I think most rational people should come to the conclusion that firing Rex would not be a positive move for the Bills at this time.
          I think if people actually did that, they'd see the opposite.

1. Injuries - Yes its an excuse but how about we actually look at it realistically, which other team would survive a season missing it's top 2 WR, 2-3 games without top RB, top RT, best coverage safety in a passing league, best defensive player and even our top 2 draft picks.
          Excuses are for losers. Even when our team is relatively healthy, they're still not good enough. How come we lost to the Ravens and Jets the 1st 2 weeks this year?

2. Obviously Rex's defense is not where it should be, but he knows that and I think he just needs more time to get it where it will be a dominant defense. Firing Rex and tearing everything up again is not a positive step when you have a group of vets on defense especially that are ready to win now.
          Did Rex not know that his defense wasn't where it was supposed to be last year? Why is it still garbage this year?

Ron Rivera went 6-10 in his first season and then 7-9 in his second before the Panthers won 34 of their next 48 games (excluding this season) and went to the SB.
          Are there any examples of coaches that started bad and just kept being bad? I wonder which example there are more cases for?

On to Tyrod, I think he needs to be kept. The options available at QB around the league are not there. Romo is an option but he will not come here. He can go to Denver or Arizona before us.

Yes Tyrod has struggled and infuriatingly so, however some QBs just need more time to figure it out. Vick was a dynamic passer in Philadelphia, he was Tyrod Taylor in Atlanta. I'm not saying put all our eggs in the TT basket, we still need to sign a vet backup and also draft another young QB.
          Tyrod is bad. There's no reason to stick with him, we're going nowhere with him as our starting QB.

But we all know if Tyrod leaves he will help another team and he will get better and we will have lost a QB that can win for the Bills.
          Right, just like all of our other starting QBs have done recently.

How about this time we go against our natural inclination to get someone fired and we instead show patience. Maybe then Bills fans will see a different result other than the same old story.
          It's been a great strategy for the Rams and the Jaguars, right?

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
            I think if people actually did that, they'd see the opposite.

Excuses are for losers. Even when our team is relatively healthy, they're still not good enough. How come we lost to the Ravens and Jets the 1st 2 weeks this year?

We lost to the Ravens and Jets without:

Watkins (he was not healthy), Dareus, Lawson, Ragland. Arguably best offensive player, definitely best defensive player.

The D played excellent in Baltimore, then we lost 4 days later to the Jets with Fitz just throwing up miracles.

Comment

• zone
              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
              • Oct 2003

We can't keep rinsing and repeating every 30 games, the teams that consistently win have continuity at head coach. No one is happy with the results this year or the last 17 and we have all run out of patience but we really need to hold strong and play this out for a few years.

Seattle was 7-9 in Pete's first two years in a horrible division.
              Belichick had 2 losing seasons in his first 3 years in NE.
              Jason Garrett didn't have a winning season util his 5th year in Dallas.
              www.blzbus.com

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by zone View Post
                We can't keep rinsing and repeating every 30 games, the teams that consistently win have continuity at head coach. No one is happy with the results this year or the last 17 and we have all run out of patience but we really need to hold strong and play this out for a few years.

If you don't want to rinse and repeat every 30 games, then we have to rinse correctly. The problem isn't that we are firing coaches too often. It's that we are hiring the wrong coaches in the first place. Rex Ryan won't win even if we give him a decade.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

Rex is a career loser, Tyrod is nothing but a mediocre and flawed "QB"...those advocating for them to stay have a loser's mentality and are happy with mediocrity....but, yeah, keep Rex, keep Tyrod.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

We lost to the Ravens and Jets without:

Watkins (he was not healthy), Dareus, Lawson, Ragland. Arguably best offensive player, definitely best defensive player.
                    Sammy is never healthy, so who cares...and 2 rookies who would've been playing in their 1st NFL game ever?? Are you kidding me?

The D played excellent in Baltimore, then we lost 4 days later to the Jets with Fitz just throwing up miracles.
                    Oh more excuses? You give credit to the D for playing well against Baltimore but don't take credit away when they play like garbage against Fitz? Not only that, you chalk it up to a 'miracle.' Again, excuses are for losers and you're full of 'em.

Comment

• The Beef
                      • Sep 2011

Before the Steelers game I thought Rex would get 2 more years, afterwards.... no.

The defensive game plans have been a travesty.

Ajai and Bell murdered us.

Fitz looked like Brady.

Jimmy Graham and Gronk would score 30 TD's a year if they played vs this Rex defense.

The Raiders dropped 4 touchdowns in essentially 1 quarter.

The pass rush has disappeared.

His team doesn't have his 'personality'. We don't punch any team in the mouth.

And Tyrod is done man. He's a 6 year pro, he is what he is. The offenses only rhythm comes when Shady is ripping off chunk yardage every drive. Tyrod is lucky to string together 3 drives a game where he carries the offense and moves the chains consistently.

If it wasn't for Shady this offense would average 20 or less per game.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

Carroll didn't inherit a team that had a winning record with the 4th ranked D in the league.

Nothing like spinning the facts to try to prove your point. Bill went 11-5 in his second year. If Rex did that no one would want him gone.

You're counting his interim year as his 1st season? If you're going to do that, you should at least acknowledge that he had a winning record in the 8 games that he coached (5-3).

It was his 4th full year that he went 12-4, after going 8-8 his first 3 years. That's still better than what Rex is doing right now.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Here are my reasons:

Yes every team goes through injuries but not to this extent and how many of them still win?

If the Giants for example were missing Odell Beckham, Sterling Shepherd, Landon Collins, JPP and Eli Apple would they be winning games? I highly doubt it.

This fan base should just be patient with this group of coaches. Rex will tighten up the defense and having guys like Dareus, Lawson, Ragland, and a couple of safeties will go a long way towards making the defense strong. We also have a really good OC in Anthony Lynn that if we continue with in that role, I think he will be a huge asset with a full off-season to plan and build his own playbook.

Yes Tyrod has struggled and infuriatingly so, however some QBs just need more time to figure it out. Vick was a dynamic passer in Philadelphia, he was Tyrod Taylor in Atlanta. I'm not saying put all our eggs in the TT basket, we still need to sign a vet backup and also draft another young QB. But we all know if Tyrod leaves he will help another team and he will get better and we will have lost a QB that can win for the Bills.

After 17 seasons its hard to think that patience makes any sense but this team is not that far away from being what the Chiefs, Ravens or Panthers are or have been.

Maybe for once Bills fans need to do something different for something different to happen. Every two years we call for someone's head and it happens. Then we repeat the cycle.

Ron Rivera inherited a 2-14 team and turned it into a 6-10 team. Rex Ryan inherited a 9-7 and turned it into an 8-8 team.

Kansas City, which is currently 10-3 has accomplished that despite key personnel missing time (Jamaal Charles, Jeremy Maclin, Justin Houston, Alex Smith, Jaye Howard, Josh Mauga, etc.). Hmm.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

See, this is where the objectivity goes away.

If we fire Rex and cut Tyrod, it means we are back to square 1 on rebuilding. We will have a new coach and no QB and be 2-3 years from playoffs. But, if Rex just needs one more off-season to get his defense in place, if we can stay healthy, if Tyrod will be fine with a little more experience, then we will be fine next season!

I wish Mahdi was right. But looking at the way Tyrod has regressed and what Rex has done both here and in the past, I can't objectively see it that way.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                              Sammy is never healthy, so who cares...and 2 rookies who would've been playing in their 1st NFL game ever?? Are you kidding me?

Oh more excuses? You give credit to the D for playing well against Baltimore but don't take credit away when they play like garbage against Fitz? Not only that, you chalk it up to a 'miracle.' Again, excuses are for losers and you're full of 'em.
                              Sammy was expected to be healthy and we went into the season with him as our #1.

Dareus is our best defensive player by far.

And yeah, when you draft a player in the first or second round you expect immediate impact, besides QBs that is.

The Jets games, all those toss ups Fitz threw were contested catches for the most part they just had a crazy good game coming down with the ball.

I think Rex needs 1 more year to get things right and I like the other coaches we have in place to get it done.

What is a loser mentality? To me that is accepting that losing is ok, I don't think its ok, I just believe that this group of players and coaches with some additions and tweaks can be a winning team that makes the playoffs.

I guess its a winning mentality to scrap everything and go after some other unknown HC with another unknown QB and a whole bunch of unknown coordinators and assistants that will flip everything over. That winning mentality has resulted in losing teams every 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X