PDA

View Full Version : BN Carucci: Whaley's job should be no safer than Ryan's

WagonCircler
12-16-2016, 02:44 PM
If the Buffalo Bills do the expected and move on from Rex Ryan as their head coach, it would make zero sense for them to stick with Doug Whaley as their general manager.

By most accounts earlier in the week, Whaley's job appeared safe and, perhaps, it still is.

Yet, with the season unraveling as it has with particularly ugly losses the past two weeks and five in the last seven games, there's nothing to suggest the "expectations" Bills owner Terry Pegula said were not met in publicly declaring Ryan and Whaley would stay in place late last year are any closer to being met now.

In fact, a strong case can be made that the distance between the team and those "expectations" is as great as it has ever been during the soon-to-be-17-year playoff drought.

....The Pegulas aren't happy with what they're seeing from their football team, and poor coaching isn't the only reason. An equally strong case can be made for well-documented player-personnel decisions resulting in some major misses that overshadow the hits.

However, that isn't the only reason that Whaley should exit with Ryan.

There are two that should be glaring whenever the Pegulas sit down to review where it has all gone wrong for the Bills during their first two full seasons of ownership.

One, they turned to Whaley and Brandon to oversee the coaching search that led them to Ryan. The Pegulas leaned on Whaley's and Brandon's extensive NFL experience to manage the process that included a lengthy list of interviews all over the country.

It's fair to say Whaley mainly liked the choice because he knew Ryan, unlike his predecessor, Doug Marrone, would pretty much stay out of Whaley's way. Ryan would let him know what positions he wanted addressed and Whaley would find them and there would be nothing approaching the hands-on involvement that Marrone insisted on having in areas beyond coaching.

It's also fair to say that Brandon mainly liked the choice of Ryan because he knew that, at least in his first season, he would have a significantly positive impact on the sale of tickets. And he did. The Bills set a franchise record with 60,000 season-tickets sold in 2015.

The other obvious reason Whaley can't be allowed to stick around if the Pegulas proceed with another coaching search is that his presence would be a handicap. No top-level candidate is going to want to be forced to work with a GM whose track record is spotty, at best, and who has proven to have issues working successfully with not one but two head coaches.

More...

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/16/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-whaley-no-safer-ryan/

DetDannyWilliams
12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Take 2: Adam and Vic on Rex Ryan's future

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/take-2-adam-and-vic-on-rex-ryans-future/369572059

justasportsfan
12-16-2016, 03:19 PM
I can see Whaley's job as being safe if it was Nix who forced Whaley to draft EJ and Whaley wasn't the one who pushed for Marrone and Rex hiring but Russ.

EDS
12-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Whaley should be the first to go. Then when you have a new GM, Rex is automatically gone.

sudzy
12-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Whaley hasn't been able to get along with two HCs.s I've seen nothing that makes me feel he needs another chance with another HC. A bunch of C grade drafts with players that can't stay on the field. Whaley and Rex are married now, for better or worse, one goes the other has to go, too.

DraftBoy
12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Whaley hasn't been able to get along with two HCs.s I've seen nothing that makes me feel he needs another chance with another HC. A bunch of C grade drafts with players that can't stay on the field. Whaley and Rex are married now, for better or worse, one goes the other has to go, too.

Per Schefter this morning, Rex is as good as fired after the season while Whaley's job appears safe.

sudzy
12-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Per Schefter this morning, Rex is as good as fired after the season while Whaley's job appears safe.

And that's OK. I've gotten use to having my weekend, in January, free. With how Whaley's draft classes have preformed, I see that's not in danger of changing.

cookie G
12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
I can see Whaley's job as being safe if it was Nix who forced Whaley to draft EJ and Whaley wasn't the one who pushed for Marrone and Rex hiring but Russ.

There are so many meetings you'd like to be a fly on the wall. Whaley didn't seem as enthusiastic as Russ when Rex was hired, and the fact that both report to the Pegula's independently gives some credence to that.

But only the Pegula's know. I'd go further in saying, it wasn't just enough to say he was lukewarm to the idea, but that he actively protested the decision. I'd like to know that someone brought up Rex's last few years in NY, and the dysfunctional mess it was when he left. IF he was on the enamored bandwagon, he needs to go.

If VC is right and the Pegula's continue to hold him in high regard, it could be a situation of them saying "We should have listened to you".

IDK.

As far as the QB situation goes..he gets less slack, imo. Not so much with drafting EJ...Buddy left him without a QB and he picked the best of a bad bunch.

After that..he needs to answer to. The last 2 drafts were all Rex, and I get that. Its what happened with the Jets...Rex gets what he wants as far as the defense being a priority and then blames the GM when they don't pan out. Its how he burned through 2 GMs in NY.

But again...how much was Whaley overruled by higher ups is the question.

In any event...they seriously need to bring in a top notch football person to evaluate the next steps this team is going to take. And they need to do it soon, before other GM/coach positions open.

Night Train
12-16-2016, 04:23 PM
There are so many meetings you'd like to be a fly on the wall. Whaley didn't seem as enthusiastic as Russ when Rex was hired, and the fact that both report to the Pegula's independently gives some credence to that.

But only the Pegula's know. I'd go further in saying, it wasn't just enough to say he was lukewarm to the idea, but that he actively protested the decision. I'd like to know that someone brought up Rex's last few years in NY, and the dysfunctional mess it was when he left. IF he was on the enamored bandwagon, he needs to go.

If VC is right and the Pegula's continue to hold him in high regard, it could be a situation of them saying "We should have listened to you".

IDK.

As far as the QB situation goes..he gets less slack, imo. Not so much with drafting EJ...Buddy left him without a QB and he picked the best of a bad bunch.

After that..he needs to answer to. The last 2 drafts were all Rex, and I get that. Its what happened with the Jets...Rex gets what he wants as far as the defense being a priority and then blames the GM when they don't pan out. Its how he burned through 2 GMs in NY.

But again...how much was Whaley overruled by higher ups is the question.

In any event...they seriously need to bring in a top notch football person to evaluate the next steps this team is going to take. And they need to do it soon, before other GM/coach positions open.

Darcy is rubbing his hands together with anticipation !

SpikedLemonade
12-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Doug Whaley is Dead Man Walking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7NVrVe5-4

Mace
12-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Shouldn't be safer. He's iinfused with mellow confidence in nothing and dazzles himself with useless draft day craftiness that helps nothing. He's got a theoretical pro personnel talent, but yaps often about his college scouting work, traveling everywhere always to come up with brittle ineffective players which he then refuses to get rid of when they don't do anything.

Boot him, and he'll wind up in a subordinate Pittsburgh job same as we found him, perpetually never getting much of anywhere again but perfectly happy with it, because he doesn't really give a crap about being a GM and tuning a team to the coaches he can't be bothered with when the process is so bothersome to his tranquilized fun.

sdbillsfan2
12-17-2016, 05:38 AM

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

justasportsfan
12-17-2016, 08:39 AM
"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick
Im just guessing here but if you scout people and create the board and come up with EJ as being the top qb prospect in that class because you were told by your boss (Nix) that you are drafting a qb you would be an integral part because it was you scouted him. Does it mean Whaley would have drafted him if Nix didnt tell him to do so or if he was in harge then? I dont know. It was no secret then that Nix was definitely dtafting one of the top draft prospects then.

If and only if that was the situation, I cannot fault Whaley for doing what he was asked to do . He was a good soldier for Nix.

I do however blame him for trading up to get Watkins. Never do that unless it's for a qb.

coastal
12-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Whaley is a college scout. Maybe he can handle Dir. of College Scouting.

In typical Buffalo fashion, we have him operating at two levels above his appropriate pay grade.

Historian
12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Makes sense...the team President used to run the gift shop.

SpikedLemonade
12-17-2016, 10:33 AM

In typical Buffalo fashion, we have him operating at two levels above his appropriate pay grade.

AND reporting directly to the Dumb Polack who has NEVER managed a people based business in his life.

Friggin Fracter.

sdbillsfan2
12-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Im just guessing here but if you scout people and create the board and come up with EJ as being the top qb prospect in that class because you were told by your boss (Nix) that you are drafting a qb you would be an integral part because it was you scouted him. Does it mean Whaley would have drafted him if Nix didnt tell him to do so or if he was in harge then? I dont know. It was no secret then that Nix was definitely dtafting one of the top draft prospects then.

If and only if that was the situation, I cannot fault Whaley for doing what he was asked to do . He was a good soldier for Nix.

I do however blame him for trading up to get Watkins. Never do that unless it's for a qb.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/12/buffalo_bills_gm_doug_whaley_on_ej_manuel_pick_assign_blame_wherever_you_want.html

Arm of Harm
12-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Vic Carucci is right. Doug Whaley has done nothing to earn himself any more job security than Rex Ryan has.

Mace
12-17-2016, 05:25 PM

Honestly I think he's a pro personnel guy. He worked pro personnel in Pittsburgh. Nix tried beefing him up in college scouting.

But I guess assistant pro personnel director is still two levels below GM.

YardRat
12-17-2016, 05:55 PM

I have to agree with Mace here...Whaley's wheelhouse seems to be the pros, not college.

OpIv37
12-17-2016, 07:02 PM
So Rex gets fired for sucking and Whaley faces no consequences even though he hired the guy who sucks. Makes perfect sense.

Mace
12-17-2016, 08:13 PM
So Rex gets fired for sucking and Whaley faces no consequences even though he hired the guy who sucks. Makes perfect sense.

Op, you've seen how this team has worked for years, sense never has much to do with it.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-18-2016, 07:27 AM

I think this was more of a russ Brandon 'let's put fans in the seats' kind of move in my opinion

jamze132
12-18-2016, 07:40 AM

I'd be willing to bet that Whaley didn't have much to do with hiring Rex Ryan. This has Russ Brandon''s finger prints on it by being in the ear of a new owner who wanted to make splash.

WagonCircler
12-18-2016, 07:43 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Whaley didn't have much to do with hiring Rex Ryan. This has Russ Brandon''s finger prints on it by being in the ear of a new owner who wanted to make splash.

If that's the case, then Whaley is a weak, worthless yes-man, and the football side will continue to be run by the marketing weasel.

****ing doomed.

swiper
12-18-2016, 07:49 AM
How come the Rooney family can build an annual winner and the Bills cannot?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-18-2016, 07:52 AM

There are multiple reasons, but one are The unbelievably favorable calls that go pittsburghs way more often than not. Lived there for 6 years. Was frustrating to watch

SpikedLemonade
12-18-2016, 07:56 AM
If that's the case, then Whaley is a weak, worthless yes-man, and the football side will continue to be run by the marketing weasel.

****ing doomed.

Doug Whaley is only here still because he is a good looking man who services Kim Pegula because the Dump Polack can NO longer use his frackin stick so he watches instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Buffalo

WagonCircler
12-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Doug Whaley is only here still because he is a good looking man who services Kim Pegula because the Dump Polack can NO longer use his frackin stick so he watches instead.

Curiously, you left out another important Whaley attribute. A checked box.

SpikedLemonade
12-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Curiously, you left out another important Whaley attribute. A checked box.

...until the colour of a mans skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hrglx9PCpo

OpIv37
12-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Yeah I didn't think of the Brandon interference angle. He can't fire Whaley when all Whaley did was follow his instruction.

WagonCircler
12-18-2016, 11:11 AM
[SIZE=3][B][I]...until the colour of a mans skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes...

...only then will the Rooney Rule cease.

Bill Cody
12-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Rex fired- good
Whaley not fired- bad
Brandon not fired- bad