• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdcas22
    the mouth of the south
    • Aug 2015

LETS PLAY G.M

I don't wan't to here that I'm crazy or stupid or anything against one another just wan't to no what each individual would do if they were running the show.

here's what I would do.....

1st off I'd have Shady and meatball on the trading block, shady is having his best year as a Bill, if we were closer to making a legit run I'd keep him but think we could get someone more of a impact at this point or a high draft pick.

Meatball is at the end of his career don't think you get much for him but I'd dangle him out there just to see.

Id either trade or sign a veteran QB going into next year, Bradford... Romo.... Cutler...would all be on my radar for sure, I'd also draft a QB early in the draft just according who is there when we pick. I'd also look in the middle rounds for a QB and cut tie's with TT and let him test the open market and offer him a legit contract offer for a backup with incentives.

I'd draft a Center, tackle , guard in any order as long as we keep bringing in bodys and at least try to upgrade the o-line. here's where I get crazy, I'd try Kujo at left tackle Ritche at left guard and move Glenn to right tackle , Id sign a free agent center to push Wood if not unseat him.

at the WR spots I'd let Woods test the open market but not without putting a contract out there and then let him see what offers he gets, I'd make offers to Hunter and also Goodwin, I'd look in free agency for another vet wide out to and sign a couple of un drafted free agent wr's.

On the defensive side of the ball I'd be looking for a couple of D-backs with a little more size and a Safety, other than that I'd put most of my apples into the offense and hope the new D-cord could use a scheme best fitting this talent .

I'd also hire a head coach and give him more control over the talent level, I'd take some of the say so away from Whaley and let him control the scout team more so while giving the head coach the final say as to who he wan't on his squad. another words if we need a QB Whaley would have to come in with his list of QB's he thinks will do and the new coach look at the list and do home work on the QB's and pick the one he likes best or tell Doug keep looking, I think this was the big problem between Marrone and Whaley with many picks.

My preference for a head coach would be more of a disciplinary like Tom Coughlin or Jon Gruden or maybe Mike Shanahan. Mike had it right in Washington when he wanted Cousins and the owner wanted RG3. and if you think about it RG3 had his best season under Mike. I want a former head coach with credentials not ones that are career 500 records but were good coordinators unless he is a young and up in coming guy like Gase.
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: LETS PLAY G.M

My preference for a head coach would be more of a disciplinary like Tom Coughlin or Jon Gruden or maybe Mike Shanahan. Mike had it right in Washington when he wanted Cousins and the owner wanted RG3. and if you think about it RG3 had his best season under Mike. I want a former head coach with credentials not ones that are career 500 records but were good coordinators unless he is a young and up in coming guy like Gase.
    Only one of those guys, the oldest, is willing to come back and coach. Why do people keep wishing for Gruden, Cowher, and Shanahan? They are done.

Poor Steve Mariucci always is the forgotten man. ROFL.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
      • Feb 2009

So youre going to sign an FA Center and draft a Center as well and also keep Eric Wood...... And the 2 players you would like to trade.. Ok as good as a season Shady is having no one is going to give you a 1st round pick for him... Id rather keep Kyle williams for 2017 than trade him for a low round draft choice...

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Gruden only won because he inherited Dungys D. He won the sb because he knew what playcalls the raiders were calling before the snap. After the sb win when it was downhill. Dont want him.

No thanks to Shany. Hes as done as Marv.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Shady is the only thing we have atm really, and Kyle deserves to retire here on his terms.
          Gotta draft another QB, no to Bradford and Romo, I might grudgingly take Cutler for a season but only on a cheap deal.
          Definitely need upgrades on the oline thru the draft and free agency.
          Wouldn't min d keeping Woods and Hunter...screw Goodwin, let him go finally.
          Safety needs a complete overhaul, again draft and free agency.
          Agree that we need a new head coach, and if Whaley stays they need to work together more closely.
          Screw Gruden and Shanahan (and Cowher, for that matter). No to Coughlin. I'd rather bring up a college coaching staff and let them rebuild.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mdcas22
            the mouth of the south
            • Aug 2015

I said don't answer my thoughts, Ya'll be the G.M and what moves would you make. or try.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Hire Coughlin

Stay out of his way...
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                Hire Coughlin

Stay out of his way...
                I believe they did that in NY and it didn't work. At least for a time they did. But he would be no worse than the clowns we've had since 1998.

Again, my only concern with him would be that he could put together a viable staff at this point.

Comment

• mdcas22
                  the mouth of the south
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                  I believe they did that in NY and it didn't work. At least for a time they did. But he would be no worse than the clowns we've had since 1998.

Again, my only concern with him would be that he could put together a viable staff at this point.
                  what do you mean it didn't work?

2 super bowls I'd say they got there money's worth...

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post

He was erratic in NY, and that was with a good staff, supporting ownership, and decent GM. I'm not enthusiastic about Coughlin, though I wouldn't be real upset with him either.

-I'd thank Brandon for his thoughts, advise him I'll keep them at the forefront, then totally ignore them, safe in my new contract.

-Ongoing...take a hard look at the college scouting staff, scouts, setup, methodology, and advise the owner immed if I think deficient resources need address.

-I'd look for an HC who could find quality coordinators manage and guide them, not run units himself, a leader of his staff. Someone I'd feel was in tune with people, but decisive. I'd have to find this guy through interviews. He'd have to explain his philosophy to me, it would have to be something I'd be dandy with, no Ryan Hybrid's, no bendy Tampa-2, no ground and pound.

-Training staff and medical needs overhaul. Find better. If coach has input great, if not, I'm on the phone.

-HC hired, we'd fetch his coordinators. Then we'd all sit down and go through the roster. I'd give them my thoughts, listen to theirs. Might take a while, a week, two ? I'm sure the owner will give us the best setting and resources.

-We'd already be on the same page or we wouldn't be in the room together doing this, so then we'd sit down and rank needs and wants for their vision, compare them to roster, league FA's, the upcoming draft, and the following years draft prospects. Establish priorities, compile a list.

-This plan in hand, I'd call in Overdorf and with the staff we'd work out spending guidelines on our upcoming FA's, and projected guidelines possible (or not) for FA's. Gilmore wants more, bye. Tyrod won't accept less as a possible bridge, bye. We can afford this, over that in this draft, or that over this with the next two drafts, which will solve whatever.

-All on the same page, I'd present it to ownership, organized in steps, so we all know if any are failing and can act to right them. We expect this, then this, then this to achieve THIS. If any step appears to be going awry, the staff and I are meeting again to address it promptly and/or re-prioritize.

-Btw Overdorf, I want void clauses against guarantees for suspensions. If a player won't accept them, we don't want that player, he can be someone elses roll of the dice. If they stay clean and give me their best, we give them ours. I want coach on the same page here, character issues than cannot be remedied get the boot. We are building toward the Pats model, team first, team always, team team team.

-Follow the plan.

-I'm always available to the media. We want them, and the fans on our side. This requires some thought and diplomacy. If I'm going to make any blanket statements, I run them through coach first, and he the same with me. We may not always get along, but we'll always be on the same page with the same goals, and that strong sense of singular purpose will be communicated. We have a plan and we're working toward it. If I don't know, I don't know, but I won't be shy in saying I need to talk to someone possibly below me in the organization to get a better understanding of it.

-My door is always open. But don't expect me to accept anything at face value if you can't back it up, I'm going to grill you. I won't go around, over, or under anyone, you go to the right person, in the right place, at the right time or you have inadequate people skills. I covered all of this with coach when I hired him, expect him to be the same.
                    This is obviously short on specifics, because not knowing who my coach is, who is coordinators are, and what we're working together toward, I can't add them.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Atone for the Schwartz snub and I'll buy season tickets again...

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                        • Dec 2015

If I'm general manager, the first thing I do is to identify the strengths and weaknesses within my own front office. I look at the scouting reports prepared over the years, and at how accurate those reports proved. Those who compiled strong track records get to stay. Those whose track records were weak--such as those who endorsed the Manuel pick--can go.

Having shored up my own scouting staff, I'd then fire Rex Ryan (obviously), and look for his replacement. The main thing I'd want from that replacement is someone who's shown brilliance and innovation at the coordinator level. Obviously you want more than just that, but that's a good place to start.

In terms of player additions, the very first player I'd like to add would be a franchise QB. Unfortunately, the 2017 draft might not be a good opportunity to accomplish that. If it isn't, then I'd use the draft to focus on other positions, focusing on those players most likely to play at an elite level for a long time. If it's a choice between an A.J. Greene and a Marcel Dareus, I take Greene--even if DL is considered a more urgent need than WR.

But if I'm not taking a QB in 2017, then I'd really, really, really want to take one in 2018. I'd be perfectly willing to tank the 2017 season to get the best QB possible. (In which case, maybe I wait a year before firing Rex?) If my goal is to tank 2017, then I'm getting rid of Tyrod and E.J. My QB for 2017 will be determined by a competition between Cardale Jones, Levi Brown, and Craig Nall. Then I'd use the first overall pick of the 2018 draft on a QB, assuming there was a QB I liked. The two things I most value in a QB are accuracy and fast information processing speed.

If a Bills player is young but good, I keep him. If he is old but good, like Shady, I trade him away. This is a rebuilding team, and any rebuilding team should trade away its old but good players if it can find a trading partner.
                        Last edited by Arm of Harm; 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mdcas22 View Post
                          what do you mean it didn't work?

2 super bowls I'd say they got there money's worth...
                          His last couple of years there were not so good. They felt he had lost it.

Comment

Working...
                          X