View Full Version : coaching candidates

justasportsfan
12-19-2016, 09:42 AM
The top four

1) Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots:
2) Teryl Austin, defensive coordinator, Detroit Lions
3) Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons
4) Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000753299/article/josh-mcdaniels-teryl-austin-top-coaching-candidates

I personally would like McDaniels .

Mahdi
12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
So fire Rex and basically sign guys who have also failed as HCs in the league and one is a so so DC for the Lions.

Spinning wheels.

justasportsfan
12-19-2016, 10:14 AM
So fire Rex and basically sign guys who have also failed as HCs in the league and one is a so so DC for the Lions.

Spinning wheels.

Everyone gets a 2nd chance just like Marv and BB. Rex got his and yet the team sucks especially the unit he supposedly is a genius of.

Mahdi
12-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Everyone gets a 2nd chance just like Marv and BB. Rex got his and yet the team sucks especially the unit he supposedly is a genius of.

Well ya but a second chance with no QB is not a chance at all, to succeed anyway.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2016, 10:44 AM
It's time to go with an offensive minded coach. Someone who believes in 21st century NFL football.

Bill Musgrave from Oakland would be a good choice for someone who doesn't get a ton of publicity.

GreedoII
12-19-2016, 11:04 AM
it's time to fire that POS Russ Brandon.....problem solved

justasportsfan
12-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Well ya but a second chance with no QB is not a chance at all, to succeed anyway.

I'm pretty sure McDaniels would be looking to find that franchise qb while Rex would stick with a mediocre qb since he places more emphasis on the run game even though this is a passing game.

sdbillsfan2
12-19-2016, 11:50 AM

If I'm not mistaken ..it was Rex who told Whaley to go after Taylor. So he really got to hand pick his own Qb as well as most of the latest def. personnel. He wanted his brother and got him.
Idiocy is making the same mistakes over and over and expecting a different outcome. Rex has repeated the same mistakes he made with the Jets.
He's no defensive genius and is an idiot example of a head coach.

Mahdi
12-19-2016, 12:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken ..it was Rex who told Whaley to go after Taylor. So he really got to hand pick his own Qb as well as most of the latest def. personnel. He wanted his brother and got him.
Idiocy is making the same mistakes over and over and expecting a different outcome. Rex has repeated the same mistakes he made with the Jets.
He's no defensive genius and is an idiot example of a head coach.

And considering the options at the time we got Tyrod, I'd say Rex targeting Tyrod wasn't a bad idea.

Although in this thread I am suggesting we need a QB, I am not fully convinced that Tyrod can't be better.

Still, no matter what TT does the rest of the way we will need to bring in another QB to compete and also draft one.

sdbillsfan2
12-19-2016, 01:56 PM
My reply was meant to suggest Rexs decision making skills are lacking.

YardRat
12-19-2016, 02:04 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/235752-Potential-Wreplacements-for-Wrecks?highlight=Wreplacements

Bill Musgrave, OC Oakland Raiders.
Hugh Freeze and his entire staff, Ole Miss.
Darrell Bevell, OC, Seattle Seahawks.
Jim Schwartz, DC, Philadelphia Eagles.
Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M.

justasportsfan
12-19-2016, 02:15 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/235752-Potential-Wreplacements-for-Wrecks?highlight=Wreplacements

Bill Musgrave, OC Oakland Raiders.
Darrell Bevell, OC, Seattle Seahawks.
Jim Schwartz, DC, Philadelphia Eagles.
Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M.

Oops! Please merge

YardRat
12-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Oops! Please merge

Nah, it doesn't need to be. I just wanted to be consistent :D

Historian
12-19-2016, 02:20 PM
May the Schwartz be with us!

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mszIwTKv62c/V9riXJDFWBI/AAAAAAAARa0/01CGSFpFqM0lroFJeFCDkyl6kgv8d869wCLcB/s1600/Spaceballs-Yogurt.jpg

Mace
12-19-2016, 07:05 PM
HC Frank Reich, DC Gus Bradley, OC the late Ted Marchibroda revived with foul necromancy through arcane ritual. Marchibroda can be put into baggage when they travel and reassembled for meetings and game time as required, and you know he'd see empty socket to eye with Reich on offense philosophy over the long term. Reich has the personality to reassure a dead guy as well, and nothing much will spook Bradley after working with Marrone and Hackett, and watching that terrible Bortles throwing motion game after game before having to explain it to the nefarious Shad Khan in his jacuzzi of souls.

Just my thought anyway.

jimmifli
12-19-2016, 11:19 PM
I think Gym Shorts can be a really good head coach. He's a little corny, but his players all seemed to like him a lot despite being weird. And his results on D are consistently good. He learned a lot in Detroit. We'd be better today if he was our coach.

The key for him is attracting a good OC, and most of that will depend on draft position and plans at QB. An OC with a Schwartz D and a high draft pick with McCoy, Watkins, Clay, Woods and Incognito is a reasonably attractive destination.

SpikedLemonade
12-20-2016, 03:36 AM

That would be interesting.

Historian
12-20-2016, 06:40 AM
OC the late Ted Marchibroda

Just CGI him onto the sidelines....

Historian
12-20-2016, 06:57 AM
I would take Wade back in a heartbeat.

If Denver doesn't make the playoffs, I don't see Elway firing his buddy Kubiak.

I see him making Wade out as a scapegoat.

Wade with Frank Reich as OC. I bet they could fix Tyrod.

DraftBoy
12-20-2016, 06:59 AM
I think Gym Shorts can be a really good head coach. He's a little corny, but his players all seemed to like him a lot despite being weird. And his results on D are consistently good. He learned a lot in Detroit. We'd be better today if he was our coach.

The key for him is attracting a good OC, and most of that will depend on draft position and plans at QB. An OC with a Schwartz D and a high draft pick with McCoy, Watkins, Clay, Woods and Incognito is a reasonably attractive destination.

I think Schwartz as an X's and O's guy is great, he clearly knows how to scheme very well defensively and with a competent OC he could be good. My concern though is that he seems to have a somewhat short shelf-life before his teams tend to either quit on him or stop listening. He really lost that Detroit team after the 2011 season, and even his own players on the Eagles are already calling out his play calling less than a year on the job.

jamze132
12-20-2016, 06:59 AM
There isn't really a good HC candidate available at this time which might be helping Rex.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure McDaniels would be looking to find that franchise qb while Rex would stick with a mediocre qb since he places more emphasis on the run game even though this is a passing game.

and judging by his drafting of Tim Tebow in Denver I question on McDaniels' ability to scout QBs.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 08:57 AM
There isn't really a good HC candidate available at this time which might be helping Rex.

I think Kyle Shahanan is a guy to consider, as he worked the offense that made RGIII a star as a rookie and now working with Matt Ryan have one of his finest seasons ever. Sure both guys are elite talents but it does show he can adjust schemes based on QB skills. The only thing is if he comes in here I also want to him to bring in an experience QB Coach and an above average/proven DC.

casdhf
12-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Lets just keep Rex/Tyrod one more year. I'm sick of starting over.

Victor7
12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Why people keep considering McDaniels is a mystery to me. I'd be a hot coaching candidate too if I had Brady. Bet I could call plays from a Madden playbook.

I'd jump on Wade Phillips for either coach or DC if he's available.

Albany,n.y.
12-26-2016, 03:32 PM
If there's any way the Bills could convince Matt Patricia to leave NE, they should go all out to bring him here. He probably the smartest assistant coach in the whole league.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/28/nfl-matt-patricia-bill-belichick-patriots-defense

Mace
12-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Being a successful Pats assistant just means you work for Bill Belichick. They never do well on their own.

sudzy
12-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I'd jump on Wade Phillips for either coach or DC if he's available.

Not sure if it's still going, but, he had a really good streak of making the playoffs in his 1st year of every HC or DC job he had. I would hire him just because of that.

Zoneblitser
12-26-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm on board with Wade HC
And Reich as OC
He was the last HC to take us to the playoffs.
Let's get back to square 1

Zoneblitser
12-26-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm on board with Wade HC
And Reich as OC
He was the last HC to take us to the playoffs.
Let's get back to square 1

jimmifli
12-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Being a successful Pats assistant just means you work for Bill Belichick. They never do well on their own.

Bill's handed him the D, and he's turned it around with a bunch of journeymen and marginal pros. Brady can make an OC look great and probably bails out the DC too, but I think Patricia is better than past NE coordinators. I'd be happy with him.