PDA

View Full Version : Rogue One

Historian
12-20-2016, 05:04 AM
Russ Brandon is Director Krennic.

Go see the film, and you will understand why.

That is all.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE3MzA4Nzk3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjAxMTc1ODE@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,744_AL_.jpg

Skooby
12-20-2016, 05:12 AM
Pretty much sums it up.

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Before I pony up $12, I have to ask. Is this movie similar in tone to the Harrison Ford Star Wars movies, or to the God awful Hayden Christenson movies?

The former were everything a movie should be, and most of all, they were fun. The latter were horrendously dour and self-important. Unwatchable.

Jimkelly12203
12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
I hate the Anakin movies. I am hopeful that Disney will do away with them and remake the Anakin movies once Lucas dies.

So many horrible decisions.

Why have darth freaking vader's only achievement in the destruction of the Jedi be the murder of "younglings". And why call them something stupid like "younglings". I was expecting Anakin to come face to face with teh very best Jedi of the time and to win convincingly against them. Not slaughter children while the stupid storm troopers do all the work... The events that led to anakin's turn were also utterly unconvincing. The CGI was terrible. The lightsaber battles were all flash and flipping around like a gymnast.

Contrast with the Luke v. Vader battles which had very little dancing around and a whole lot of smashing lightsabers against one another. No dancing.

The force awakens did a good job. Especially with the light saber battles. That snow fight between Ren and Rey was brutal. Exactly how it should be done.

I'm guessing Rogue one is not like either of the trilogies. From what i've read it's decidedly a war movie. More like Saving Private Ryan in tone than any of the Star Wars movies we know. That's what i've heard at least.

And from what i know of the character Krennic, he's exactly like Brandon. A sniveling weasel making power plays behind everyone's back and moving up the food chain despite his incompetence.

feldspar
12-20-2016, 09:24 AM
"I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating--not like you. You're soft and smooth."

coastal
12-20-2016, 09:24 AM
This organization needs a Darth

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 01:22 PM
I hate the Anakin movies. I am hopeful that Disney will do away with them and remake the Anakin movies once Lucas dies.

So many horrible decisions.

Why have darth freaking vader's only achievement in the destruction of the Jedi be the murder of "younglings". And why call them something stupid like "younglings". I was expecting Anakin to come face to face with teh very best Jedi of the time and to win convincingly against them. Not slaughter children while the stupid storm troopers do all the work... The events that led to anakin's turn were also utterly unconvincing. The CGI was terrible. The lightsaber battles were all flash and flipping around like a gymnast.

Contrast with the Luke v. Vader battles which had very little dancing around and a whole lot of smashing lightsabers against one another. No dancing.

The force awakens did a good job. Especially with the light saber battles. That snow fight between Ren and Rey was brutal. Exactly how it should be done.

I'm guessing Rogue one is not like either of the trilogies. From what i've read it's decidedly a war movie. More like Saving Private Ryan in tone than any of the Star Wars movies we know. That's what i've heard at least.

And from what i know of the character Krennic, he's exactly like Brandon. A sniveling weasel making power plays behind everyone's back and moving up the food chain despite his incompetence.

I'll pass, then.

The wisecracking Indiana Jones-like behavior of Han Solo was the glue of the first three movies. And Carrie Fischer's Leia was great. That and the fact that it was all so new and fresh is what made the first three movies great.

Once the franchise started seeing itself as something other than fun popcorn movies, it all went to hell. They took it all way too seriously and lost everything good about them.

DesertFox24
12-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Rogue One is more like empire strikes back. It is not cheesy like the stupid prequel trilogy. Only thing I will say is it is much more of a war movie.

BLeonard
12-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Russ Brandon is Director Krennic.

Go see the film, and you will understand why.

That is all.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE3MzA4Nzk3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjAxMTc1ODE@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,744_AL_.jpg

Um, as a big Star Wars fan, who went out in single digit temps for the first show last Thursday at 7 PM, gotta pull rank here... Simply because Krennic dies. (Sorry for the spoiler, but tags apparently don't work).

If you're relating Brandon to a Star Wars Character, he's gotta be Threepio: Offers little to the plot, annoys the hell out of you most of the time, contributions to the cause are nil, nobody wants to hear him talk, but still manages to be in (and survive) every goddamn time.

-Bill

Night Train
12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Krennic sells snake oil and false hope ?

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Um, as a big Star Wars fan, who went out in single digit temps for the first show last Thursday at 7 PM, gotta pull rank here... Simply because Krennic dies. (Sorry for the spoiler, but tags apparently don't work).

If you're relating Brandon to a Star Wars Character, he's gotta be Threepio: Offers little to the plot, annoys the hell out of you most of the time, contributions to the cause are nil, nobody wants to hear him talk, but still manages to be in (and survive) every goddamn time.

-Bill

OK, then Doug Whaley is Jar-Jar Binks.

feldspar
12-20-2016, 05:57 PM

-Bill

How about a spoiler alert, asswipe?

BLeonard
12-20-2016, 06:32 PM

A: I said I tried... For whatever reason, spoiler tags aren't allowed on here.

B: If you know ANYTHING about the Star Wars Universe and Rogue One's place in the timeline, it's not that much of a spoiler... It's pretty much a given.

OK, then Doug Whaley is Jar-Jar Binks.

Well, Jar Jar survives too, so....

-Bill

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Well, Jar Jar survives too, so....

-Bill

Yes, but he is a scorned, hated embarrassment of a character who is never heard from again. He's a running joke, and a low point in the franchise's history.

feldspar
12-20-2016, 07:33 PM
A: I said I tried... For whatever reason, spoiler tags aren't allowed on here.

B: If you know ANYTHING about the Star Wars Universe and Rogue One's place in the timeline, it's not that much of a spoiler... It's pretty much a given.

-Bill

Lol, who needs a "spoiler tag?"

You couldn't just type "spoiler alert," or otherwise let people know you were about to reveal things about the plot?

First thing you should have said...

Who the **** needs a "spoiler tag" for that?

Now I'm a little bit pissed. Thanks again. Is there a tag for this type thing? Is there a "big-mouth tag?"

I like Star Wars, particularly the 1st 3 releases, but I'm not a nerd about all the crazy offshoots.

BLeonard
12-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Yes, but he is a scorned, hated embarrassment of a character who is never heard from again. He's a running joke, and a low point in the franchise's history.

I get the gist of your comparison and don't disagree, but Jar Jar actually is heard in the "Final" version of "Return of the Jedi":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AiM5zEEI_Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1:03 mark

Lol, who needs a "spoiler tag?"

You couldn't just type "spoiler alert," or otherwise let people know you were about to reveal things about the plot?

First thing you should have said...

Who the **** needs a "spoiler tag" for that?

Now I'm a little bit pissed. Thanks again. Is there a tag for this type thing? Is there a "big-mouth tag?"

Well, apologies, but again, anyone paying attention knew this was happening before setting foot in a theater to see the movie.

-Bill

feldspar
12-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Well, apologies, but again, anyone paying attention knew this was happening before setting foot in a theater to see the movie.

-Bill

Man, your apology would be more readily accepted if it didn't come with ****ing concessions and excuses. You just don't reveal plot-points about movies most everybody will probably see at some point...not much more to it than that.

******* move...period.

You say "sorry about the spoiler" AFTER you've already spoiled it, and not before. And why? No tag? That's supposed to make sense where?

I've never heard of this Krennic character, and I'm not about to stand in line to get tickets in freezing weather to be among the first to see the movie. WTF do you mean, "paying attention?"

Be more careful in the future...

DetDannyWilliams
12-20-2016, 08:39 PM
My six year old cousin watches Star Wars Rebels on DisneyXD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jes1q06G2o

Disney says Rouge One takes place at the same time as Star Wars Rebels

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Hey mods... can this whole topic be moved to another forum? Not even football related.

BLeonard
12-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Man, your apology would be more readily accepted if it didn't come with ****ing concessions and excuses. You just don't reveal plot-points about movies most everybody will probably see at some point...not much more to it than that.

******* move...period.

Hardly an earth shattering "plot point." At least, not if you have already seen the original Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope).

I've never heard of this Krennic character, and I'm not about to stand in line to get tickets in freezing weather to be among the first to see the movie. WTF do you mean, "paying attention?"

"Paying attention" as in the timeline of the movies... Rogue One is a direct prequel to Episode IV.

You said yourself, you've "never heard of this Krennic character"... Have you seen Episode IV? I'm guessing yes.

So, he's not in Episode IV, but is in the direct prequel to Episode IV... Doesn't take rocket science to figure it out.

This is like watching "Titanic" and being told beforehand that the boat sinks...

-Bill

feldspar
12-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Hardly an earth shattering "plot point." At least, not if you have already seen the original Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope).

"Paying attention" as in the timeline of the movies... Rogue One is a direct prequel to Episode IV.

You said yourself, you've "never heard of this Krennic character"... Have you seen Episode IV? I'm guessing yes.

So, he's not in Episode IV, but is in the direct prequel to Episode IV... Doesn't take rocket science to figure it out.

This is like watching "Titanic" and being told beforehand that the boat sinks...

-Bill

So, you don't understand, don't care, and are a jerk about this whole thing. Not really sorry at all for giving things away, are you?

Yes, I don't know who this Krennic is. I've seen parts 4-6 many times.

Pretty soon I'm about to turn rude, *******, especially when you say you're sorry when you're clearly not.

Just shut the **** up about it already, because the more you talk, the more you piss me off. I don't know if this is the case, but have you ever had a person ruin a movie for you? Told you what is going to happen? Does that take all the suspense away?

stuckincincy
12-20-2016, 10:56 PM

He should have, of course. But OTOH, Star War movie plots wouldn't fill up half of a 3X5 index card.

I'll wait for the PPV, though. I like to go to the movies, but for stuff like this, the theater volume is usually turned up to ear-splitting levels.

BLeonard
12-20-2016, 11:47 PM
So, you don't understand, don't care, and are a jerk about this whole thing. Not really sorry at all for giving things away, are you?

I apologized and you **** on it... So, at this point, it's whatever.

Yes, I don't know who this Krennic is. I've seen parts 4-6 many times.

Then, again, if you've seen 4-6 "many times," the revelation should not come as a shock to you, as Rogue One is a prequel to 4-6.

Pretty soon I'm about to turn rude, *******, especially when you say you're sorry when you're clearly not.

Like I said, I apologized once. You chose to **** on it. For anyone that's seen the original movies, it's quite obvious what had to happen.

Just shut the **** up about it already, because the more you talk, the more you piss me off.

You're getting pissed about something very obvious, then. Any other result creates a huge plothole for Episode IV.

I don't know if this is the case, but have you ever had a person ruin a movie for you? Told you what is going to happen? Does that take all the suspense away?

Sure, I have. I had a much bigger, more significant and not at all obvious plot point "spoiled" from The Force Awakens, so yes, I have been there. No, it didn't take the suspense away as I didn't know the specifics surrounding it until I saw the film.

To be honest, if something this small and unsurprising pisses you off so much because you think it's a major "spoiler," I'd suggest not going to see it at all... You'll be confused as all hell by the time the movie ends.

I like to go to the movies, but for stuff like this, the theater volume is usually turned up to ear-splitting levels.

I'll just say, keep in mind that this isn't an "Episodic" movie... The theater experience is also different than that of an "Episodic" film.

-Bill

feldspar
12-21-2016, 12:01 AM
I apologized and you **** on it... So, at this point, it's whatever.

Then, again, if you've seen 4-6 "many times," the revelation should not come as a shock to you, as Rogue One is a prequel to 4-6.

Like I said, I apologized once. You chose to **** on it. For anyone that's seen the original movies, it's quite obvious what had to happen.

You're getting pissed about something very obvious, then. Any other result creates a huge plothole for Episode IV.

Sure, I have. I had a much bigger, more significant and not at all obvious plot point "spoiled" from The Force Awakens, so yes, I have been there. No, it didn't take the suspense away as I didn't know the specifics surrounding it until I saw the film.

To be honest, if something this small and unsurprising pisses you off so much because you think it's a major "spoiler," I'd suggest not going to see it at all... You'll be confused as all hell by the time the movie ends.

I'll just say, keep in mind that this isn't an "Episodic" movie... The theater experience is also different than that of an "Episodic" film.

-Bill

You don't know when to quit, do you?

Your attitude is amazing to me...read the thread again and see if you can figure out why I would say such a thing.

You're sorry...but...

BLeonard
12-21-2016, 12:37 AM
You don't know when to quit, do you?

You keep replying to me, so I'm replying back... That's how message boards work.

Your attitude is amazing to me...read the thread again and see if you can figure out why I would say such a thing.

I've read it, multiple times now. I stand by what I said. I apologized once, for something I thought was PAINFULLY obvious to anyone that's ever seen the OT. Instead of simply taking that at face value and letting it go, you **** on it and decided to ***** some more.

So, at that point, normally, I'm pretty much done extending the olive branch. However, here, I will attempt one more time: I apologize if my earlier comment was a "spoiler" for you and will try to avoid such posts in the future.

Also, my suggestion of being confused when seeing it wasn't meant to be dickish, but re-reading, I could see how it come off as that way. If you (or anyone, really) doesn't have a pretty good knowledge of the Star Wars Universe (ESPECIALLY Episode IV) it can get very confusing, as a lot of things are happening very quickly and it is assumed that the viewer knows a fair amount about the Saga movies. It's billed as a "stand-alone" movie, but I dunno if casual fans will be able to keep up, without having the assistance of the Saga movies to put all the pieces together.

-Bill

stuckincincy
12-21-2016, 12:40 AM

-Bill

Oh, I appreciate the in-theater thing. Like I said, I'm a fan of going out to see flicks, but in my locality for ones like this, they really crank up the volume. I suppose that's fine for most of the expected audience.

For me and wife, PPV does the trick.

BLeonard
12-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Oh, I appreciate the in-theater thing. Like I said, I'm a fan of going out to see flicks, but in my locality for ones like this, they really crank up the volume. I suppose that's fine for most of the expected audience.

For me and wife, PPV does the trick.

I get what you're saying and if you can wait that long to see it, more power to you. As I said before, I'm kind of a nut about Star Wars flicks, so I always see first showing possible... Hell, I get tickets the day they go on sale, which for Rogue One, was 2 1/2 weeks in advance.

Obviously, I dunno how your theater works, but I don't think upping the volume on this particular score would give the same effect as it does in the Saga films... I recall thinking to myself that this soundtrack was very tame compared to what I'm used to hearing in Star Wars flicks.

What I'm saying is, there's a good chance that the volume issue may not exist for this film, as it did for the Episodic or "Saga" films. When we exited the theater for "The Force Awakens" last year, you could hear the sound out in the hallway of other theaters still in their screening. They also had eight theaters showing it with maybe 10-15 minute intervals between each theater, because the demand was that great.

For Rogue One, my theater (which was the first showing in the city) was only about 2/3 of the way full and they only had a few theaters even showing it at that time, using those same 10-15 minute intervals. Once in the hallway, we didn't hear anything from any of the other theaters still in their showing. I think, again, that this was due more to the movie score itself than the theater dropping the volume at all.

-Bill

coastal
12-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Hey mods... can this whole topic be moved to another forum? Not even football related.
Oh that's what we need... more focus on the suck that is this franchise and less fun.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 09:29 AM
I get what you're saying and if you can wait that long to see it, more power to you. As I said before, I'm kind of a nut about Star Wars flicks, so I always see first showing possible.

I understand that. I had to go see the first showing on the opening day of Creed. And I was not disappointed.

Joe Fo Sho
12-21-2016, 10:41 AM
I understand that. I had to go see the first showing on the opening day of Creed. And I was not disappointed.

Highlight the text to the right for a SPOILER ALERT: Creed's dad is dead!

feldspar
12-21-2016, 11:07 AM
You keep replying to me, so I'm replying back... That's how message boards work.

I've read it, multiple times now. I stand by what I said. I apologized once, for something I thought was PAINFULLY obvious to anyone that's ever seen the OT. Instead of simply taking that at face value and letting it go, you **** on it and decided to ***** some more.

So, at that point, normally, I'm pretty much done extending the olive branch. However, here, I will attempt one more time: I apologize if my earlier comment was a "spoiler" for you and will try to avoid such posts in the future.

Also, my suggestion of being confused when seeing it wasn't meant to be dickish, but re-reading, I could see how it come off as that way. If you (or anyone, really) doesn't have a pretty good knowledge of the Star Wars Universe (ESPECIALLY Episode IV) it can get very confusing, as a lot of things are happening very quickly and it is assumed that the viewer knows a fair amount about the Saga movies. It's billed as a "stand-alone" movie, but I dunno if casual fans will be able to keep up, without having the assistance of the Saga movies to put all the pieces together.

-Bill

Lookee here, Bill:

I'd say this say this slowly for you if it could translate to the written word...maybe read this slowly. I don't not know who this Krennic character is, no matter how much you think that I should.

Got that? It's not a complicated concept.

And read this slowly, too...

You revealed a spoiler, and that's not good. There is that. I did not like that. But I never shat on your so-called apology. You continue to get my goat because of the qualifiers that go along with your so-called apology. If you're sorry, then just say that without the qualifiers and I'd shut up too. If you're not really sorry, then don't apologize.

Think you can wrap your head around that? Not complicated.

I don't know how many times I've seen the first Star Wars release. I grew up with that ****. What, do maybe they bring up the name Krennic once in that movie or something? I do not recall. Forgive me for not being the guy who stands outside the theater in a stormtrooper uniform in the middle if the night to see the movie first, with a light saber and a ***-entrusted picture of Princess Leia in my back pocket.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Highlight the text to the right for a SPOILER ALERT: Creed's dad is dead!

And this time, it really was the Russians.

BLeonard
12-21-2016, 09:22 PM
I'd say this say this slowly for you if it could translate to the written word...maybe read this slowly. I don't not know who this Krennic character is, no matter how much you think that I should.

That's the entire point... You don't know who he is... Before Rogue One, nobody did. He's an entirely new character. In a PREQUEL. From a movie made nearly 40 years ago... Which he is NOT in...

I don't know how many times I've seen the first Star Wars release. I grew up with that ****. What, do maybe they bring up the name Krennic once in that movie or something?

They do not. Again, completely new character. Now, it's your turn to read slowly:

If you grew up watching Episode IV, you know Krennic isn't in it. With Rogue One being a prequel, you know that, in the timeline:

Rogue One: Krennic is in.
Episode IV (which happens soon after Rogue One): Krennic is not in.

What options do they have to explain his absence?

This is like if they had made Rocky IV after Rocky III... You watch Rocky IV, with no Mickey to train Rocky, then watch III, with Mickey in the film and you're surprised at what happens to him.

Forgive me for not being the guy who stands outside the theater in a stormtrooper uniform in the middle if the night to see the movie first, with a light saber and a ***-entrusted picture of Princess Leia in my back pocket.

Well, neither am I... I saw a 7 PM show in normal street clothes. Regardless, how big of a fan you are is irrelevant here. It's simple continuity logic.

-Bill

Mr. Pink
12-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Who cares that he spoiled Rogue One...

It's easily the worst of the alleged "canon" of the saga.

Good money grab though!

ICRockets
12-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Not the greatest comparison. Krennic built something that annihilated two cities.

*SPOILER ALERT*