PDA

View Full Version : Finally a more plausible scenario of what might happen at OBD January 2.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-20-2016, 11:00 AM
http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/20/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-maintain-continuity-obvious-move-promoting-lynn/

The key here is not so much of Whaley's input or position of power in OBD, but rather Pegulas' perception and deeper understanding of the Bills. I don't think Marrone quitting is a crisis to the owners - they just took over a team and anyone trying a power play like Marrone did is going to be met with what actually happened. It's easy for experienced business people like Terry. The 1st real crisis for Pegulas I see is the firing of Roman, in season, this year. And they acted by doing their own investigation of talking to everyone, especially the players. You can bet they solicited peoples' opinions on Rex in those private meetings.

Unless the Pegulas want to clean house and start all over, they will certainly keep on what they publicly stated continuity and the answer is Lynn. Lynn is not so well established but generally is viewed as a rising candidate in NFL. Everyone in OBD should have 1st hand knowledge how he works there.

It will be interesting to see what kind of philosophy he has in terms of defense, what kind of coaching changes he wants on defense. I don't believe he has ever worked on that side of the ball.

My feeling is the generally philosophy of running the ball and stop the run is not going to change with the current front office. Ironically for a defensive coach like Rex who hated nothing more than being run on at the helm. Rex's Bills ran the ball all over the place, but just could not stop the run. Had their run defense up to par, they could easily be in Miami's shoes heading into the final two weeks.

Bill Cody
12-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Unless the Pegulas want to clean house and start all over, they will certainly

CONTINUE TO LOSE

EDS
12-20-2016, 11:11 AM
If Whaley is staying there is no point in firing Rex.

Ed
12-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Lynn knows the players, the players know and like and respect him. He already has a good idea of what works and what doesn't with the current roster, and what changes he wants to see going forward. He is offensive-minded, which would be the logical type of replacement for the defensive-oriented Ryan. Lynn also is known for being strict and demanding with players, and detail-oriented, which is the exact opposite of Ryan's approach.

Strict, demanding, detail-oriented, but still well respected by his players. That works for me. I'm on the fence about a coaching change mostly because I expect to be thoroughly disappointed and don't want to see this team go back to being a 5-6 win team that spends the next few years just trying to get back to .500. I do really like Lynn though, so I'd at least be intrigued if he's the choice.

The Jokeman
12-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Strict, demanding, detail-oriented, but still well respected by his players. That works for me. I'm on the fence about a coaching change mostly because I expect to be thoroughly disappointed and don't want to see this team go back to being a 5-6 win team that spends the next few years just trying to get back to .500. I do really like Lynn though, so I'd at least be intrigued if he's the choice.

My only concern with Lynn is that he would keep Rex's QB Coach, WR coach who I think are bad coaches IMHO. He also might be willing to keep Thurman et all around too which means the defense won't be changed etc.

Ed
12-20-2016, 11:33 AM
My only concern with Lynn is that he would keep Rex's QB Coach, WR coach who I think are bad coaches IMHO. He also might be willing to keep Thurman et all around too which means the defense won't be changed etc.
I don't think I have an issue with the WR coach. I've only heard good things about him. I don't really know anything about the other position coaches. I assume that Lynn would want this to be his own team and not just take over a Rex staff. I'm also willing to bet that the FO would make it clear to him that they expect/want significant changes on D. I mean Thurman basically got demoted by Ryan during the season, so I doubt Lynn or anyone else would want him back. There will probably be some hold overs, but I would expect a new OC and DC at least.

DraftBoy
12-20-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm not opposed or sold on Lynn being the HC, but he needs to bring in his own people and not just hold over the majority of staff.

ghz in pittsburgh

I concur. I watched Rex from afar until he becomes Bills coach. He can achieve good results with HOF guys like Lewis, Reed, Revis who are self motivated and dedicated. But he can't harness guys who need a kick in the a** once in a while. That's why his team has the reputation being undisciplined. A kyle Williams, McCoy can probably motivate themselves. But other talented guys Hughes, Marcel, Watkins really need to be coached hard, especially young ones like Marcel, Watkins, you get the feeling they don't know how to be a professional NFL player yet. A lot of it is the players themselves, but coaching would certainly help. Maybe that's why Whaley and Co. are frustrated with Rex.

trapezeus
continuity for a team that continuously in the middle with no direction. what a scam.

The Beef
12-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Basically what TB did last year promoting th OC and canning Lovie.

Big difference though, they have a potential Franchise QB.

trapezeus
12-20-2016, 11:59 AM
the bills actually scored enough points in a lot of the games. some of it from defensive TD's or special team blocks. the issue is that the d isn't even close to stopping teams. I am not looking at any stats at the moment, but tell me the last time you saw a third and long and thought, yeah, we are getting the ball back here."

The Jokeman
12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
the bills actually scored enough points in a lot of the games. some of it from defensive TD's or special team blocks. the issue is that the d isn't even close to stopping teams. I am not looking at any stats at the moment, but tell me the last time you saw a third and long and thought, yeah, we are getting the ball back here."

Yet like with the Kgun offense sometimes just scoring points isn't enough. You also want to flip the field or milk the clock and sometimes the offense has struggled doing this in the 4th quarter.

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

justasportsfan
12-20-2016, 01:41 PM
I am not as down on Whaley than I am on Rex.

It seems to me that Whaley has brought in players that seem to fit Rex's scheme . We even drafted based on Rex's needs. Ragland and Lawson were definite picks for Rex.

Alexander, Brown, etc etc. are players he found on the streets that seem to have played well under Rex's scheme and yet why is Whaley getting faulted for the crappy performance of the D unit ?

Mahdi
12-20-2016, 01:45 PM
I think this is a great idea...

If Rex Is Fired - This is what Should Happen

Jimkelly12203
12-20-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm fine with Lynn as OC. I don't think you can fault him for the chitty passing game. I think that lies solely on the shoulders of our QB who cannot see wide open players and does not throw the ball accurately. And we have Whaley to thank for giving us three iterations of the same bad QB on this team because all three of them have the same glaring flaws. Taylor's only starting because he's a very good game manager.

As far as Lynn as head coach? I mean, if you're not going to fire idiot Whaley and Brandon you might as well keep him.

Continuity is the last thing this loser organization needs though and it's troubling that Pegs is so clueless on the epic embarrassment that is our front office and player/personnel department.

Things are going to have to get a lot worse before they can get better. Pegs said he viewed it as us not making the playoffs in 1 year (since he didn't own the last 15 seasons of garbage). That's a dangerous mind set for him to have right now. He may not think of it as 17 years in a row, but his customers do. And keeping B-league know nothings running the organization will cost him money.

YardRat
12-20-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm not opposed or sold on Lynn being the HC, but he needs to bring in his own people and not just hold over the majority of staff.

DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Night Train
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
There is zero chance I send back my ticket invoice if Whaley stays and promotes Lynn to HC. The most transparent self serving/job saving move in recent history. He would promote a fence post to save himself.

I refuse to fund BS management anymore. The games are all on TV.

Enjoy selling my 2 premium club seats, you crooks.

Mace
12-20-2016, 05:40 PM
It does no service to the team to just hire the guy on hand because you like him, in order to maintain continuity with a formula that only beats up bad to average teams. I'm not opposed to hiring Lynn if they interview 10 guys and find him the best.

On the other hand, who is making the decision from the interviews ? If they bring in a consultant, ok, but if Brandon, Whaley and Pegulas are making the choice, I have no confidence in it. It's laziness from a comfort zone we have no business having. What, are they going to keep Rob too ? Wildcat Lee and his sidekick Lal ? The DB coaches who replaced the more able Henderson ?

This team just isn't going anywhere quick and there isn't a LaFontaine to find a Tim Murray. They need to find a football Tim Murray. I don't like continuity when it sustains inadequate.

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 06:05 PM
There is zero chance I send back my ticket invoice if Whaley stays and promotes Lynn to HC. The most transparent self serving/job saving move in recent history. He would promote a fence post to save himself.

This.

WagonCircler
12-20-2016, 06:10 PM
It does no service to the team to just hire the guy on hand because you like him, in order to maintain continuity with a formula that only beats up bad to average teams. .

Bills record vs teams with losing records this season: 6-1.

Bills record vs teams with winning records this season: 1-6

And the sick, twisted thing is, this franchise, despite having one of the richest owners in all of pro sports, has to look at hiring nobodies like Anthony Lynn, because of organizational dysfunction. And that dysfunction was created by the same people who are perpetuating their existence by hiring a nobody like Anthony Lynn.

GingerP
12-20-2016, 07:16 PM

... and that one win came when the opponent was forced to start their 3rd-string rookie 3rd round pick at QB because of injuries.

The Jokeman
12-20-2016, 07:19 PM

And the sick, twisted thing is, this franchise, despite having one of the richest owners in all of pro sports, has to look at hiring nobodies like Anthony Lynn, because of organizational dysfunction. And that dysfunction was created by the same people who are perpetuating their existence by hiring a nobody like Anthony Lynn.

Let's hold off the criticism of hiring Lynn as HC until it actually happens.

OpIv37
12-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Lack of continuity is a problem. It's not THE problem.

The biggest problems with this team are the inability to find a QB and the inability to find a HC. I strongly believe that Russ Brandon's influence is a major reason for both. He prefers marketable moves over football ones and the people that work underneath him know it. Change for the sake of change doesn't work, but neither does continuity for the sake of continuity. Exhibit A: the Buffalo Sabres when Pegula first took over. He thought he could get by keeping the core of the team together and adding a few flashy new toys, but the flashy new toys fizzled and the core of the team turned out to be rotten (any Sabres fan who was paying attention at the time knew it, too).

He's making the exact same mistakes here. This team is poorly constructed. The O is solid when healthy, but can't stay healthy, and the D is just not the right personnel to play the style Ryan wants to play.

The Jokeman
12-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Lack of continuity is a problem. It's not THE problem.

The biggest problems with this team are the inability to find a QB and the inability to find a HC. I strongly believe that Russ Brandon's influence is a major reason for both. He prefers marketable moves over football ones and the people that work underneath him know it. Change for the sake of change doesn't work, but neither does continuity for the sake of continuity. Exhibit A: the Buffalo Sabres when Pegula first took over. He thought he could get by keeping the core of the team together and adding a few flashy new toys, but the flashy new toys fizzled and the core of the team turned out to be rotten (any Sabres fan who was paying attention at the time knew it, too).

He's making the exact same mistakes here. This team is poorly constructed. The O is solid when healthy, but can't stay healthy, and the D is just not the right personnel to play the style Ryan wants to play.

I think it's why he was trying to find a football czar but the guy he wanted to take the job (Polian) declined until we had the QB in place.

OpIv37
12-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Oh, in terms of Lynn: I think he has the potential to be a good HC. I just don't think he's there yet. The guy was still a running backs coach the last time I needed an oil change. It would be a mistake to rush him before he has more experience as a coordinator.

swiper
12-21-2016, 04:22 AM

And the Patriot win was without Brady playing.

As much as I hate this train wreck, outsiders are not going to understand why BIlls fans want a 2nd year head coachwho took them to a 9-7 record fired.

Historian
12-21-2016, 04:40 AM

Same here.

If this is their "plan", they just made my decision not to renew very, very, easy.

Historian
12-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Oh, in terms of Lynn: I think he has the potential to be a good HC. I just don't think he's there yet. The guy was still a running backs coach the last time I needed an oil change. It would be a mistake to rush him before he has more experience as a coordinator.

Well put.

It's not like he did anything spectacular this season, like fix the passing game.

Ralph is laughing from the grave, because this is how he used to select coaches.

Historian
12-21-2016, 04:59 AM
The guy was still a running backs coach the last time I needed an oil change.

I pissed my pants on that one....but it's true!

:rofl:

TacklingDummy
12-21-2016, 05:34 AM
I'm fine with Lynn as OC. I don't think you can fault him for the chitty passing game.

I do fault him for the wildcat and for when they have EJ at QB and Tyrod at WR.

Without a upgrade at QB he will be fired too in 3 years.

Mahdi
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM

He's not a rookie QB where he needs more time to develop as a coach. He's been around the game for a long time. Becoming a HC has nothing to do with being an experienced play-caller and everything to do with what type of personality, preparation, organizational skills and leadership quality you have.

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach for most of his career before jumping directly to HC of the Ravens.