PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon - Former Jet - Very Interesting Comments about Rex on WGR

Mahdi
12-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Here are some bullet points about what he said:

- Rex most battle ready coach ever
- Rex Tears up during his motivational Saturday night pre-game speeches
- Said Rex would get players "so amped up it would make you want to rip your underwear off"
- Says Rex is a genius defensive mind but his D will always suffer if the secondary is weak, the defense just doesn't work without solid safeties (i.e. last two years in New York, this year with Bills)
- Says Rex needs to manage the whole team better but ultimately he will lose his job to Anthony Lynn who is ready

Victor7
12-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Here are some bullet points about what he said:
- Rex most battle ready coach ever
- Rex Tears up during his motivational Saturday night pre-game speeches
- Said Rex would get players "so amped up it would make you want to rip your underwear off"
- Says Rex is a genius defensive mind but his D will always suffer if the secondary is weak, the defense just doesn't work without solid safeties (i.e. last two years in New York, this year with Bills)
- Says Rex needs to manage the whole team better but ultimately he will lose his job to Anthony Lynn who is ready

A defense that fails if the safeties aren't good isn't the mark of a "genius". Why not in that case plan around masking that weakness instead of "hoping for the best" which appears to be what we do.

I do agree he's about as a motivator as I've seen. His players do love him. But at the end of the day the W's are the ones that matter and he's not hitting his marks there.

justasportsfan
12-21-2016, 01:15 PM
I do agree he's about as a motivator as I've seen. His players do love him. But at the end of the day the W's are the ones that matter and he's not hitting his marks there.

Ruben Brown and Donald Jones stated on wgr a few days ago that players have told them that they dont like playing for the patriots.

Rhey said talking to BB is like talking to a wall. I guess the "wall" gets players to win for him. Put them in situations to suceed , it ahouldnt matter if they like you or not, the will do their job and that is to get Ws.

People loved and respected Dick Jauron too.

Players didnt like playing for the atrong willed Coughlin as well . I guess being liked/loved is overrated.

Homegrown
12-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Huh? .... odd quote from a feller named Colon

trapezeus
12-21-2016, 01:58 PM
that is disturbing that he needs extreme talent. as someone already pointed out, that isn't a great coach then.

Mahdi
12-21-2016, 02:09 PM
that is disturbing that he needs extreme talent. as someone already pointed out, that isn't a great coach then.

I don't agree with this statement.

Every defensive system relies heavily one one aspect of the defense or another.

In a Schwartz defense fast DEs who get to the QB is more important than a good safety.

In Rex's scheme you need a good secondary more so than top pass rushers. His scheme gets an average pass rusher free but if the secondary can't hold up in coverage than it doesn't give the scheme time to get there.

I would argue that Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor would do more for our D than Jerry Hughes and Alexander.

In Schwartz's defense, he would need Jerry Hughes more than he would need a top safety.

Fixxxer
12-21-2016, 02:58 PM

In a Schwartz defense fast DEs who get to the QB is more important than a good safety.

In Rex's scheme you need a good secondary more so than top pass rushers. His scheme gets an average pass rusher free but if the secondary can't hold up in coverage than it doesn't give the scheme time to get there.

I would argue that Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor would do more for our D than Jerry Hughes and Alexander.

In Schwartz's defense, he would need Jerry Hughes more than he would need a top safety.

Those are good points, but Rex doesn't have the safeties to properly run his defense and he doesn't adapt to that or worse, doesn't know how to.

I guess Rex forgot to give his players the pre-game speech against the Steelers. The run defense was pathetic that day.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 03:03 PM

Well, if the great Willie Colon says Anthony Lynn (who was a running backs coach a few weeks ago) is ready, then he MUST be ready.

YardRat
12-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Yeah, safety is soooooooo important to Wrecks' defense that in the two seasons he's been here....

1. Shifted a cornerback out of position to start at one safety.
2. Drafted a cornerback with their first pick, and a LBer later, in 2015, completely ignoring safeties.
3. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2015.
4. Drafted an edge rusher, a MLB and an interior defensive lineman with their first three picks in 2016, once again completely ignoring the position.
5. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2016.

I'm not buying it.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Anyone know when D'Norris Searcy's contract ends with Titans?

ParanoidAndroid
12-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Ruben Brown and Donald Jones stated on wgr a few days ago that players have told them that they dont like playing for the patriots.

Rhey said talking to BB is like talking to a wall. I guess the "wall" gets players to win for him. Put them in situations to suceed , it ahouldnt matter if they like you or not, the will do their job and that is to get Ws.

People loved and respected Dick Jauron too.

Players didnt like playing for the atrong willed Coughlin as well . I guess being liked/loved is overrated.
You hate your platoon Sergeant before battle but love him after because he's the reason you're alive.

Mace
12-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Well, for a motivational guy, though his players speak well of him, I'm not seeing fierce run through the wall effort from any of them.

Battle ready ? Ryan ? Like um, how ?

EDS
12-21-2016, 06:53 PM

Clearly then the organization is dysfunctional since they ignored the safety position this off-season.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Clearly then the organization is dysfunctional since they ignored the safety position this off-season.

Funny I thought we signed Robert Blanton this off season?

Mace
12-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Same Blanton who is on IR after being ineffective ? I guess we paid good attention there.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Same Blanton who is on IR after being ineffective ? I guess we paid good attention there.

Yeah. Sadly Whaley missed on that one.

Mace
12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Yeah. Sadly Whaley missed on that one.

I honestly thought he was a good pickup at the time. It smarts.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 09:41 PM
I honestly thought he was a good pickup at the time. It smarts.

I think most of us hoped or thought he'd be better. Yet it might be as eluded before that it's Rex's scheme just puts too much pressure on the secondary. As I don't think the talent in the secondary is as awful as they look from time to time.

EDS
12-22-2016, 12:00 PM

If your defensive scheme is based on strong safety play and your roster consists of one guy coming off of a potentially career ending injury and an aging and ineffective CB playing out of position, and your solution is Robert Blanton, then yes, that is ignoring the position and evidence of a lack of coherent team building within the organization.

Victor7
12-22-2016, 12:19 PM
If your defensive scheme is based on strong safety play and your roster consists of one guy coming off of a potentially career ending injury and an aging and ineffective CB playing out of position, and your solution is Robert Blanton, then yes, that is ignoring the position and evidence of a lack of coherent team building within the organization.
This

I get it that AW went down and everything secondary went with him as well. But Rex and Whaley knew about Aaron's "situation" beforehand and their answer for it was signing Blanton who is soooooo sooooooo bad.

More and more pro Rex bull**** to hide his enormous failure with the Bills defense.

Mahdi
12-22-2016, 12:57 PM
This

I get it that AW went down and everything secondary went with him as well. But Rex and Whaley knew about Aaron's "situation" beforehand and their answer for it was signing Blanton who is soooooo sooooooo bad.

More and more pro Rex bull**** to hide his enormous failure with the Bills defense.

Not sure they had enough cap room to address the safety position adequately. It really was a "hope Aaron stays healthy" situation and they lost. Too bad they lost him on a completely avoidable dirty play.

EDS
12-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Not sure they had enough cap room to address the safety position adequately. It really was a "hope Aaron stays healthy" situation and they lost. Too bad they lost him on a completely avoidable dirty play.

No way they can count on Aaron again for next year.

trapezeus
12-22-2016, 03:28 PM
my argument is that I would rather have a coach who says, "this is what I have, and I'm going to make it work, but i'll lobby for what I want in the long run." I realize that's not common, but it is in every other aspect of working life. How many teams do you have where you get to say, "all this personnel sucks. I need time to turn over our team before I can look good." you have to make it work first before you even justify the new headcount. and what really gets me is that every year the bills change coaches, another team (at least 1) will hire a coach and turn a significantly worse season into a playoff season. so 1 year changes have happened elsewhere. but it hasn't happened for us. that's insane.

Victor7
12-22-2016, 05:35 PM

That's the point Mahdi. Why is hoping for AW to be healthy your best case scenario ? That is just flat out dumb. We didn't even know if he was going to play. There was talk he could retire. As for the cap issues I can see that. But what about the draft ?

swiper
12-22-2016, 06:11 PM
I am so sick of the stupidity of the o.p. Please ban him so the men can talk about football. He's a raging idiot.

swiper
12-22-2016, 06:12 PM

And yet they can overpay a TE they throw to 3 times a game and a QB who is terrible. Wow. What an abjectly stupid post on your part. Grow up and get out.

Luisito23
12-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I am so sick of the stupidity of the o.p. Please ban him so the men can talk about football. He's a raging idiot.

No matter how big of an idiot, or clueless the coaches, FO, or players are, they can never, ever do anything wrong in the eyes of the OP...

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Arm of Harm
12-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah, safety is soooooooo important to Wrecks' defense that in the two seasons he's been here....

1. Shifted a cornerback out of position to start at one safety.
2. Drafted a cornerback with their first pick, and a LBer later, in 2015, completely ignoring safeties.
3. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2015.
4. Drafted an edge rusher, a MLB and an interior defensive lineman with their first three picks in 2016, once again completely ignoring the position.
5. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2016.

I'm not buying it.

#Whaley, #rogue

Mace
12-23-2016, 06:52 PM
my argument is that I would rather have a coach who says, "this is what I have, and I'm going to make it work, but i'll lobby for what I want in the long run." I realize that's not common

Actually it is common, you see coaches making do across the league via coaching. I think pretty much every above average to good HC leaves themselves wiggle room in their scheme and works harder if the player didn't fit. Kubiak maximized Manning, Garrett adapted to Prescott, breaking in the rookie Brady...Belichick ran often before turning him loose in following years. Donavan McNabb was not the game manager Alex Smith is in KC for Reid, Harbaugh found a good use for Kap. Arians doesn't run a Carson Palmer offense when Palmer goes down. Haley under Tomlin, will rely on the arm and improv of Big Ben when he was very against improv in coming to the Steelers. Tannehill is no Peyton, Adam Gase adjusted in Miami. What kind of QB is Mariota anyway ? Titans are building to his talents and that's Mularkey for goodness sake.

You can see a coach who's paying attention to his players, and you can see a coach who's paying attention to his schemes, you can see the ones who pay attention to both, and the ones who don't.

But I always figured good coaches adapt and make do, nature of the whole game, they have to, it shouldn't be a choice, should be simple reflex.

trapezeus
12-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks mace, I stand corrected. Coaches can work with what they get