• Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Willie Colon - Former Jet - Very Interesting Comments about Rex on WGR

Here are some bullet points about what he said:

- Rex most battle ready coach ever
    - Rex Tears up during his motivational Saturday night pre-game speeches
    - Said Rex would get players "so amped up it would make you want to rip your underwear off"
    - Says Rex is a genius defensive mind but his D will always suffer if the secondary is weak, the defense just doesn't work without solid safeties (i.e. last two years in New York, this year with Bills)
    - Says Rex needs to manage the whole team better but ultimately he will lose his job to Anthony Lynn who is ready
  • Victor7
    • Jul 2013

Re: Willie Colon - Former Jet - Very Interesting Comments about Rex on WGR

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
    Here are some bullet points about what he said:
    - Rex most battle ready coach ever
    - Rex Tears up during his motivational Saturday night pre-game speeches
    - Said Rex would get players "so amped up it would make you want to rip your underwear off"
    - Says Rex is a genius defensive mind but his D will always suffer if the secondary is weak, the defense just doesn't work without solid safeties (i.e. last two years in New York, this year with Bills)
    - Says Rex needs to manage the whole team better but ultimately he will lose his job to Anthony Lynn who is ready
    A defense that fails if the safeties aren't good isn't the mark of a "genius". Why not in that case plan around masking that weakness instead of "hoping for the best" which appears to be what we do.

I do agree he's about as a motivator as I've seen. His players do love him. But at the end of the day the W's are the ones that matter and he's not hitting his marks there.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
      I do agree he's about as a motivator as I've seen. His players do love him. But at the end of the day the W's are the ones that matter and he's not hitting his marks there.
      Ruben Brown and Donald Jones stated on wgr a few days ago that players have told them that they dont like playing for the patriots.

Rhey said talking to BB is like talking to a wall. I guess the "wall" gets players to win for him. Put them in situations to suceed , it ahouldnt matter if they like you or not, the will do their job and that is to get Ws.

People loved and respected Dick Jauron too.

Players didnt like playing for the atrong willed Coughlin as well . I guess being liked/loved is overrated.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Homegrown
        Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
        • Jul 2008

Huh? .... odd quote from a feller named Colon

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

that is disturbing that he needs extreme talent. as someone already pointed out, that isn't a great coach then.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            that is disturbing that he needs extreme talent. as someone already pointed out, that isn't a great coach then.
            I don't agree with this statement.

Every defensive system relies heavily one one aspect of the defense or another.

In a Schwartz defense fast DEs who get to the QB is more important than a good safety.

In Rex's scheme you need a good secondary more so than top pass rushers. His scheme gets an average pass rusher free but if the secondary can't hold up in coverage than it doesn't give the scheme time to get there.

I would argue that Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor would do more for our D than Jerry Hughes and Alexander.

In Schwartz's defense, he would need Jerry Hughes more than he would need a top safety.

Comment

• Fixxxer
              • Jul 2002

In a Schwartz defense fast DEs who get to the QB is more important than a good safety.

In Rex's scheme you need a good secondary more so than top pass rushers. His scheme gets an average pass rusher free but if the secondary can't hold up in coverage than it doesn't give the scheme time to get there.

I would argue that Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor would do more for our D than Jerry Hughes and Alexander.

In Schwartz's defense, he would need Jerry Hughes more than he would need a top safety.
              Those are good points, but Rex doesn't have the safeties to properly run his defense and he doesn't adapt to that or worse, doesn't know how to.

I guess Rex forgot to give his players the pre-game speech against the Steelers. The run defense was pathetic that day.
              Last edited by Fixxxer; 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

Well, if the great Willie Colon says Anthony Lynn (who was a running backs coach a few weeks ago) is ready, then he MUST be ready.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Yeah, safety is soooooooo important to Wrecks' defense that in the two seasons he's been here....

1. Shifted a cornerback out of position to start at one safety.
                  2. Drafted a cornerback with their first pick, and a LBer later, in 2015, completely ignoring safeties.
                  3. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2015.
                  4. Drafted an edge rusher, a MLB and an interior defensive lineman with their first three picks in 2016, once again completely ignoring the position.
                  5. Failed to address/upgrade the position in free agency in 2016.

I'm not buying it.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Anyone know when D'Norris Searcy's contract ends with Titans?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      Ruben Brown and Donald Jones stated on wgr a few days ago that players have told them that they dont like playing for the patriots.

Rhey said talking to BB is like talking to a wall. I guess the "wall" gets players to win for him. Put them in situations to suceed , it ahouldnt matter if they like you or not, the will do their job and that is to get Ws.

People loved and respected Dick Jauron too.

Players didnt like playing for the atrong willed Coughlin as well . I guess being liked/loved is overrated.
                      You hate your platoon Sergeant before battle but love him after because he's the reason you're alive.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Well, for a motivational guy, though his players speak well of him, I'm not seeing fierce run through the wall effort from any of them.

Battle ready ? Ryan ? Like um, how ?

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Clearly then the organization is dysfunctional since they ignored the safety position this off-season.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                            Clearly then the organization is dysfunctional since they ignored the safety position this off-season.
                            Funny I thought we signed Robert Blanton this off season?

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                              Funny I thought we signed Robert Blanton this off season?
                              Same Blanton who is on IR after being ineffective ? I guess we paid good attention there.

Comment

Working...
                              X