PDA

View Full Version : Wow! It looks like it may be Tom Coughlin after all

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 03:24 PM
The Way We Hear It: Tom Coughlin is the frontrunner to replace Rex Ryan in Buffalo

Pro Football Weekly Staff

On the face of it, this seems strange when you consider Ryan reportedly has three years remaining on his contract at $5.5 million a year and through one season and 14 games he is exactly 15-15 — 8-8 last season and 7-7 today.

Why is that awful enough to get fired?

Normally it wouldn’t be, but Ryan is often his own worst enemy.

This season will mark the Bills 17th straight without a trip to the playoffs, the longest drought in the NFL today.

Only the Browns with 14 consecutive missed playoffs and the Rams with an even dozen have gone more than a decade without a visit to the postseason.

This past summer, Ryan proclaimed his Bills playoff ready and announced anything less that the playoffs this year would be a failure.

But that still isn’t enough on its own to get him canned.

The Way We Hear It, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula – who just bought the team early in the 2014 season and then saw their head coach, Doug Marrone, exercise an out in his contract following the season, forcing them to hire a new coach (Ryan) just a few months after taking over the club – have simply had enough of Ryan’s act.

Ryan is exceedingly brash, arrogant and has never met a microphone or television camera he doesn’t like.

Ironically, that is his coaching style.

Off the record, he can be calm, polite, humble and quite pleasant, but it is reportedly his coaching style that has worn thin quickly with the Pegulas as they’ve assimilated to NFL ownership.

It also has been reported in multiple outlets that Bills general manager Doug Whaley, who oversaw the hiring of Marrone and Ryan, is likely to stay and have a hand in hiring a third head coach, a rare opportunity for an NFL GM.

Some have wondered why, since Whaley hasn’t exactly set the world on fire with the Bills' personnel decisions.

We hear the answer may be because the Pegulas already know who their next head coach is going to be, and that is what is giving them some comfort in making the move on Ryan so quickly. Their guy may be more than capable of upgrading Whaley’s end of the operation as well or, if necessary, helping in the process of replacing him down the road.

The Way We Hear It, the Pegulas have been in conversations for some time now with Tom Coughlin, and Coughlin is the front-runner to be the next head coach of the Bills following this season.

More...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/12/21/the-way-we-hear-it-tom-coughlin-is-the-frontrunner-to-replace-rex-ryan-in-buffalo/aoh1k2f/

Mr. Miyagi
12-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Isn't Coughlin in his 70s? Do we want an old-timer past his prime? What about the Rooney Rule?

EDS
12-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Very similar to bringing Marv back . . .

BillsFanCupp38
12-21-2016, 03:55 PM
I love Tom Caughlin. Always have. That guy always looks angry even after his team scores a touchdown. I hope this is true. Caughlin didn't always have a good year but generally the year after the Giants always seem to bounce back. If he was there this year I don't think there record would be any different. Also has a lot of success against the Patriots. Probably the best of anyone I can think of.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm just happy because there's no way in hell that this is Whaley's doing, and if the reports are to be believed, the Bills just hired their third consecutive HC without his input.

That spells doom for him.

Luisito23
12-21-2016, 04:04 PM
This would be a very good hire...Forget about the age, Coughlin is a winner and will put the discipline this franchise has been lacking for years...And no, this is nothing like bringing back Marv, not even close...Hope it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm just happy because there's no way in hell that this is Whaley's doing, and if the reports are to be believed, the Bills just hired their third consecutive HC without his input.

That spells doom for him.

And who do you think should replace Whaley? I can respect the choice in Coughlin since he has a track record in beating Belichick and won Super Bowls.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 04:13 PM
And who do you think should replace Whaley? I can respect the choice in Coughlin since he has a track record in beating Belichick and won Super Bowls.

I will be happy to defer to Mr. Coughlin on that question.

Like I said in another thread, the whole point of trying to bring Polian back was to conduct a search for a GM and a QB. When that turned into him having to find a GM, a QB, and a Head Coach, he said, Danny Glover style, "I'm too old for this sh_t" and walked.

But they had the right idea back then. Hopefully Coughlin picks the GM, or someone else like Ron Wolf comes in as well, as a consultant, to find a real GM.

All I know is, if this is true, Whaley just got neutered. He's as good as done.

Turf
12-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Coughlin will replace Whaley after a few years or sooner and maybe hire another coach.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Coughlin will replace Whaley after a few years or sooner and maybe hire another coach.

Or maybe a few weeks.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Or maybe a few weeks.

Picking a HC to pick a GM sounds ass backwards to me. What's next have Coughlin name a QB coach who then picks our OC? Or are you suggesting Coughlin be GM and HC? If so then I say hell no.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 04:37 PM
Picking a HC to pick a GM sounds ass backwards to me. What's next have Coughlin name a QB coach who then picks our OC? Or are you suggesting Coughlin be GM and HC? If so then I say hell no.

My guess is that this means Whaley is gone.

Maybe Coughlin is doing the dual role until he finds a successor in both positions, HC and GM.

Either way, there's absolutely no way Whaley had input on this. And that's a terrible sign for his job security.

Mouldsie
12-21-2016, 04:44 PM
I am not as confident as you that this would spell doom for Whaley, in the immediacy anyway.

YardRat
12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Meh...I'd rather have a young unproven college guy that has something to prove.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 05:09 PM
I am not as confident as you that this would spell doom for Whaley, in the immediacy anyway.

Even if he isn't fired right away, it completely marginalizes him. He's nothing but an order taker. It's only a matter of time before he's gone.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 05:13 PM

We.could.see that from Coughlin's choice of OC. I'd call Danny Langsdorf a possible front runner.

Jeff1220
12-21-2016, 05:14 PM
I like Coughlin. His parting from the Giants left a sour taste in his mouth. At 71, and with 2 Super Bowl wins already under his belt, I think that he still feels like he has something to prove.

Mace
12-21-2016, 05:21 PM

Well, that or a hungry coordinator with potential. Agree with Wagon though that if true they may have gone around Whaley, which is a good thing.

Then again, Pegula wouldn't come up with Coughlin on his own, so I'd wonder about the usual suspects. Then again, again, even a blind pig will root up and acorn time to time.

I'm not so sure about Coughlin, which is different than saying I'm against him. He had Manning, an excellent staff, a good GM and a good owner behind him and couldn't seem to produce a consistent team (some of that is Manning). How would he do without all those ?

I like Coughlin though, his demeanor, his flexibility, the way he always looks like he can't believe what he just saw from the sidelines, solid game day coach. imho. Can he drive Whaley or find a GM ? No idea. On the other hand if he means to transition from coaching into FO in time (future president of football ops after a couple/few years ?), there's your football guy. Then again he's 70.

Could do better imho, but could do worse if it pans out.

cookie G
12-21-2016, 05:26 PM

An early and interesting possibility might be Marc Ross. He's been running the Giants' drafts. He started out hot in 2007, had some misses, but has rebounded a bit in the past few years. I don't know how much animosity there was, if any, when he left.

Id be more interested in hearing who he brings in to run the defense, his thoughts on keeping Lynn and how he'd plan on getting a QB.

..and when and if he planned on snagging a RT.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Well, that or a hungry coordinator with potential. Agree with Wagon though that if true they may have gone around Whaley, which is a good thing.

Then again, Pegula wouldn't come up with Coughlin on his own, so I'd wonder about the usual suspects. Then again, again, even a blind pig will root up and acorn time to time.

I'm not so sure about Coughlin, which is different than saying I'm against him. He had Manning, an excellent staff, a good GM and a good owner behind him and couldn't seem to produce a consistent team (some of that is Manning). How would he do without all those ?

I like Coughlin though, his demeanor, his flexibility, the way he always looks like he can't believe what he just saw from the sidelines, solid game day coach. imho. Can he drive Whaley or find a GM ? No idea. On the other hand if he means to transition from coaching into FO in time (future president of football ops after a couple/few years ?), there's your football guy. Then again he's 70.

Could do better imho, but could do worse if it pans out.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as happy that it's Coughlin as I am that it's clearly not a Whaley pick. I hope Pegula went around Whaley and Brandon, but that would be too much to hope for all at once.

cookie G
12-21-2016, 05:37 PM

such as...

cookie G
12-21-2016, 05:38 PM

or better yet...

Mace
12-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not nearly as happy that it's Coughlin as I am that it's clearly not a Whaley pick. I hope Pegula went around Whaley and Brandon, but that would be too much to hope for all at once.

One thing for sure, Coughlin is Coughlin. I mean you can see Ryan talking smack with media and his players, but going Eddie Haskell fake respectful and submissive with those equal or higher in the food chain. If it was Coughlin chosen, almost doesn't matter who chose him maybe. He dealt with Ernie Accorsi, Jerry Reese and the Mara's, there won't be any going around him and the two rings he wears to meetings, not for Brandon, not for Whaley.

YardRat
12-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Local Channel 2 News reported on the sports that they can't get anything to support the article regarding Coughlin being on the Bills' radar at this time.

cookie G
12-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Local Channel 2 News reported on the sports that they can't get anything to support the article regarding Coughlin being on the Bills' radar at this time.

https://twitter.com/john_wawrow

Even more confident there's very little -- if any traction -- to new talk about #Bills and Tom Coughlin.

I didn't know PFW was even still around. I used to like their "The Way We Hear It"

Eh..there's going to be enough of this floating around in the near future.

At least its more interesting than talking about which safety they should use a 1st round pick.

Mace
12-21-2016, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=cookie G;4284628 At least its more interesting than talking about which safety they should use a 1st round pick.[/QUOTE]

Jamal Adams.

:dance3:

TacklingDummy
12-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Rather have Rex than this geezer.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Even more confident there's very little -- if any traction -- to new talk about #Bills and Tom Coughlin.

I didn't know PFW was even still around. I used to like their "The Way We Hear It"

At least its more interesting than talking about which safety they should use a 1st round pick.

John Clayton on @WGR550. Said he's hearing Bills will move on from Rex and Tyrod. If Rex is fired Clayton feels Tom Coughlin will be the guy. Posted two hours ago by Howard from WGR.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 06:46 PM
An early and interesting possibility might be Marc Ross. He's been running the Giants' drafts. He started out hot in 2007, had some misses, but has rebounded a bit in the past few years. I don't know how much animosity there was, if any, when he left.

Id be more interested in hearing who he brings in to run the defense, his thoughts on keeping Lynn and how he'd plan on getting a QB.

..and when and if he planned on snagging a RT.

I'm familiar with Ross from his time with the Bills.

Mouldsie
12-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Even if he isn't fired right away, it completely marginalizes him. He's nothing but an order taker. It's only a matter of time before he's gone.

Pegula needs to set a hierarchy. Right now Rex and Whaley are on equal standing and report to him and Brandon. It's all ****ed.

zone
12-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Tom Coughlin is 70 years old and since winning a Super Bowl 6 years ago he went 9-7 the following year (most likely our record this year), then followed that up with 3 losing seasons before he was eventually retired. Not to mention the list of assistant coaches and coordinator choices (many of which we have already endured) he has had over the years will make you want to throw up in your mouth.

So why do we want him to be our next coach?

Mace
12-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Tom Coughlin is 70 years old and since winning a Super Bowl 6 years ago he went 9-7 the following year (most likely our record this year), then followed that up with 3 losing seasons before he was eventually retired. Not to mention the list of assistant coaches and coordinator choices (many of which we have already endured) he has had over the years will make you want to throw up in your mouth.

So why do we want him to be our next coach?

I don't really know that we do, he's just not Rex Ryan or a crony system.

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Pegula needs to set a hierarchy. Right now Rex and Whaley are on equal standing and report to him and Brandon. It's all ****ed.

Wrong. Rex reports directly to the Pegulas as does Whaley. That said a hierarchy needs to be in place where the GM reports to either the Pegulas or a football czar and the HC reports to the GM.

Mace
12-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Wrong. Rex reports directly to the Pegulas as does Whaley. That said a hierarchy needs to be in place where the GM reports to either the Pegulas or a football czar and the HC reports to the GM.

I think that was his point ?

The Jokeman
12-21-2016, 07:54 PM
I think that was his point ?

Forgive me I thought I read someone post that read that Whaley or Rex report to Brandon.

Mace
12-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Forgive me I thought I read someone post that read that Whaley or Rex report to Brandon.

Brandon/Pegulas are a given. His point though was same as yours, the process is dysfunctional. Brandon in or out is just irrelevant semantics to the point, which you easily picked up on.

WagonCircler
12-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Brandon/Pegulas are a given. His point though was same as yours, the process is dysfunctional. Brandon in or out is just irrelevant semantics to the point, which you easily picked up on.

And the reason it's dysfunctional is that the Bills don't have a prayer of ever landing a decent head coach if part of the job is answering to Doug Whaley.

The Natrix
12-21-2016, 08:46 PM
God I hope it's not Coughlin.

He made some of the most boneheaded in-game decisions I've ever seen by a coach in his last season with NY.

I don't think he has what it takes upstairs anymore. He's like 6 years older than the oldest current head coach.

Thurmal
12-21-2016, 09:05 PM
One thing about Coughlin is that his teams had a knack for pulling big games out of their ass on a consistent basis, against often seemingly superior competition. That is something where the Bills -- in the few "big" games they've had over the past 15 years -- have completely failed. A lot of that is on coaching.

The age thing seems to be a deal breaker, though. We're going to be looking for a new coach again in three or four years.

Jimkelly12203
12-21-2016, 09:51 PM
This would be an ideal situation IMO. A couple years with Coughlin as HC let him groom his replacement (there must be many in his branch of the Parcels coaching tree) and then fire the neutered amateur Whaley and take his job until a very old age.

jamze132
12-22-2016, 12:49 AM
Coughlin is probably the only HC available that would satisfy Bills fans right now.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-22-2016, 01:40 AM
I'd pass on Tom but I'm not the owner so I'll just continue to pretend that they know what there doing over there at One Bills Drive.

Frenchman
12-22-2016, 01:53 AM
Yeah but Coughlin's age could work against him!

zone
12-22-2016, 05:42 AM
Why not get Bill Parcells he is only 75 and he won 2 Super Bowl's.

swiper
12-22-2016, 05:44 AM
Very similar to bringing Marv back . . .

Yes. But also you can look at it as them hiring a Marty Schottenheimer-type coach. If they hired Coughlin, got Norv Turner & Gus Bradley? Hmmm.

YardRat
12-22-2016, 05:57 AM
I would take Turner and Bradley as coordinators, but I'm a little bit concerned about Norv bailing on the Vikings after their 5-2 start.

TacklingDummy
12-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Why not get Bill Parcells he is only 75 and he won 2 Super Bowl's.

How about Don Shula? He's only 86 and has also won 2 SBs.

Also coached the only undefeated team.

Historian
12-22-2016, 06:30 AM
DISCIPLINE!!!!!

Finally!!!

zone
12-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Shanahan is 64 and says he is too old.

"This game is for younger guys, guys that are really fired up to run a team, put a good team together,"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000761165/article/mike-shanahan-its-smarter-to-hire-kyle-than-me

Novacane
12-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Coughlin is probably the only HC available that would satisfy Bills fans right now.

Really? This move would not excite me at all. I'd much rather take a chance on someone unproven.

X-Era
12-22-2016, 07:56 AM
DISCIPLINE!!!!!

Finally!!!Guys who stand out in my mind:

Dareus
Hughes
Seantrel Henderson
Gilmore Girl
Percy Harvin

X-Era
12-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Really? This move would not excite me at all. I'd much rather take a chance on someone unproven.Why? Have we not seen that version? Mularkey, Gregg, Marrone?

I personally don't feel an unproven can win here without a stud QB and talent with winning experience and disciplined play.

Novacane
12-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Why? Have we not seen that version? Mularkey, Gregg, Marrone?

I personally don't feel an unproven can win here without a stud QB and talent with winning experience and disciplined play.

He's 70 and I don't think Coughlin can win here without a stud QB either. Most coaches can't. I wouldn't hate the hire but I sure wouldn't expect much. Of course I won't expect much no matter who the next coach is.

X-Era
12-22-2016, 08:56 AM
He's 70 and I don't think Coughlin can win here without a stud QB either. Most coaches can't. I wouldn't hate the hire but I sure wouldn't expect much. Of course I won't expect much no matter who the next coach is.
So all things being the same it's irrelevant? LOL. I can see that take.

I just want some discipline and a guy with SB rings. The fact that he has so many local ties and may go back to the 4-3 is a plus to me.

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 09:05 AM
So all things being the same it's irrelevant? LOL. I can see that take.

I just want some discipline and a guy with SB rings. The fact that he has so many local ties and may go back to the 4-3 is a plus to me.

All the same reasons I favor Coughlin. Of course it be interesting to see who he'd bring in as his DC and OC. I've mentioned I think Danny Langsdorf could be his choice of OC or maybe Sean Ryan but his DC is more up in the air, I wonder if he could land Gus Bradley? If so things could prove interesting in 2017.

THATHURMANATOR
12-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Will Coughlin bring Eli with him?

If not I have 0 confidence in him winning

IlluminatusUIUC
12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
As I've said I don't like the idea of unloading everyone off a .500 team, but if we were going Coughlin he should be in the czar type role. The same one we envisioned for Polian. I don't like the idea of bringing him back to the sidelines.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Funny, I just heard Wawrow on WGR, and he said this:

"If Rex goes, and Tom Coughlin comes in, it's very likely that he's going to bring in a General Manager"

Maybe Wawrow found a little traction.

Historian
12-22-2016, 01:03 PM
The Lupica article is pretty damning for Brandon and Whaley.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 01:43 PM
The Lupica article is pretty damning for Brandon and Whaley.

What Lupica article?

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 01:45 PM
What Lupica article?

The one that cites Jerry Sullivan a source of all that is wrong with the Buffalo Bills.

SpikedLemonade
12-22-2016, 06:25 PM
I fully endorse TC.

DraftBoy
12-22-2016, 06:38 PM
If the Bills want Coughlin then they'll be up against the Jaguars for him. Caldwell already commented publicly that the Jags have interest in talking to him and they have already started their HC search.

Mahdi
12-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Coughlin over Anthony Lynn would be a strange decision all things considered.

DraftBoy
12-22-2016, 07:55 PM

It's a decision to appease the fans and to sell tickets next year. Doc said it best in another thread, the coach isn't nearly as important as who the next QB is.

Mace
12-22-2016, 09:09 PM
It's a decision to appease the fans and to sell tickets next year. Doc said it best in another thread, the coach isn't nearly as important as who the next QB is.

Don't really agree. Some coaches can choose staff to use QB's, some misuse them regardless of player talent level. Some can build a team around a guy, some can't. Need a union there... right coach (and staff with philosophy) for right QB, right QB for right coach (and staff with philosophy).

That's why I feel the "franchise" qb is so mythical and rare. You have to take it a step further then, gm and coach need to be in harmony, to get the qb that fits the philosophy and the players to support him.

Arm of Harm
12-22-2016, 09:21 PM

If Anthony Lynn coached for any other team, I don't think he would even be under consideration. Normally a guy should establish himself as a top-flight coordinator before he becomes a serious candidate for a head coaching position. Lynn was a running back coach at the beginning of the year. This season the Bills are in the bottom three in terms of passing offense. I find it very difficult to believe that, if we looked hard enough at the other 31 teams, we'd fail to find an offensive or defensive coordinator with a better track record than that. Just because a guy is in your building doesn't make him better than a guy in some other team's building.

Personally I think Coughlin is too old to be a successful head coach. At this point he might be better-suited to a role as a football czar. A role in which he interviews potential candidates for the general manager and head coaching positions, and provides advice on the overall football operation.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 10:37 PM
If Anthony Lynn coached for any other team, I don't think he would even be under consideration. Normally a guy should establish himself as a top-flight coordinator before he becomes a serious candidate for a head coaching position. Lynn was a running back coach at the beginning of the year. This season the Bills are in the bottom three in terms of passing offense. I find it very difficult to believe that, if we looked hard enough at the other 31 teams, we'd fail to find an offensive or defensive coordinator with a better track record than that. Just because a guy is in your building doesn't make him better than a guy in some other team's building.

Personally I think Coughlin is too old to be a successful head coach. At this point he might be better-suited to a role as a football czar. A role in which he interviews potential candidates for the general manager and head coaching positions, and provides advice on the overall football operation.

But Anthony Lynn is very nice guy!

And he checks boxes!

That's all that really matters, right?

jamze132
12-23-2016, 01:53 AM
One thing about Coughlin is that his teams had a knack for pulling big games out of their ass on a consistent basis, against often seemingly superior competition. That is something where the Bills -- in the few "big" games they've had over the past 15 years -- have completely failed. A lot of that is on coaching.

The age thing seems to be a deal breaker, though. We're going to be looking for a new coach again in three or four years.
That's because Eli isn't a scrub QB.

DraftBoy
12-23-2016, 08:24 AM
Don't really agree. Some coaches can choose staff to use QB's, some misuse them regardless of player talent level. Some can build a team around a guy, some can't. Need a union there... right coach (and staff with philosophy) for right QB, right QB for right coach (and staff with philosophy).

That's why I feel the "franchise" qb is so mythical and rare. You have to take it a step further then, gm and coach need to be in harmony, to get the qb that fits the philosophy and the players to support him.

Do you think that Coughlin is the guy who can build that appropriate union?

Mahdi
12-23-2016, 08:34 AM
But Anthony Lynn is very nice guy!

And he checks boxes!

That's all that really matters, right?

Has nothing to do with being a nice guy.

Lynn has been highly regarded for many years throughout the league and his name frequently comes up for promotions.

He is seen to have the qualities of a HC in the NFL and has good roots in the league.

John Harbaugh was a ST coordinator before getting the HC job in Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin was DC for one season in Minnesota, before that he was DB coach in TB for 5 years.

Lynn has the same type of intangibles as these two that make for good HCs.

Luisito23
12-23-2016, 08:39 AM
John Harbaugh was a ST coordinator before getting the HC job in Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin was DC for one season in Minnesota, before that he was DB coach in TB for 5 years.

Burger and Flacco...Take them out, and they're in the same spot Lynn is in right now...

It's all, and has always been about the QB.

Bill Cody
12-23-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm all in favor of totally cleaning house but tell me who the QB is and I'll tell you how much I care who the new HC is.

I like Tom Coughlin. He's the anti Rex, disciplined, prepared, low key with the media. But TC is not just on the back nine of coaching, he's walking down 17. If we had a QB and were trying to find a guy to push this team to a championship in like a two year window I'd say you couldn't get any better than TC. But we're either locked in mediocre with TT or....door # 2 whatever that is, but it ain't the SB in 2 years. I guess I'd be ok with it anyway, we need to drop the tent on the Big Top. And TC would do that for sure.

I could see him making the playoffs in 2 years, maybe next year. That's something I guess. And hiring Coughlin, although I believe 95% of these kind of stories are nothing more than rumors, might happen because you guys have to admit it totally feels like the Bills. You have this pulsing open wound spewing blood and you put a bandaid on it.

BillsImpossible
12-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Tom Coughlin may be 70 years old, but he's got more energy and looks to be in better health than most people half his age.

Remember how Marv Levy lied about his age?

What I like about Coughlin the most is his ability to beat Belichick.

If the Bills ever want to make it back to the playoffs, they have to knock off the Patriots first.

Coughlin beat Brady and Belichick twice in the Super Bowl with a quarterback in Eli Manning who is good, but not elite.

He won with defense.

Coughlin is a disciplinarian. He's not a "players coach."

If the Bills hire Coughlin, I don't think half the team would be out partying like rock stars 2 nights before the Steelers game........

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Tom Coughlin may be 70 years old, but he's got more energy and looks to be in better health than most people half his age.

Remember how Marv Levy lied about his age?

What I like about Coughlin the most is his ability to beat Belichick.

If the Bills ever want to make it back to the playoffs, they have to knock off the Patriots first.

Coughlin beat Brady and Belichick twice in the Super Bowl with a quarterback in Eli Manning who is good, but not elite.

He won with defense.

Coughlin is a disciplinarian. He's not a "players coach."

If the Bills hire Coughlin, I don't think half the team would be out partying like rock stars 2 nights before the Steelers game........

Well, today put that to rest.

There's no way in hell Doug Whaley hires Tom Coughlin. For one, he's the wrong pigment.

And there's no way Tom Coughlin takes a job where he has to answer to a hack like Whaley.

Mace
12-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Do you think that Coughlin is the guy who can build that appropriate union?

Honestly, no. I think Coughin is a guy who can make order of a shaky union, or reestablish one with a broken piece if compatible with his philosophy, but build one ? Not at this point in his life and career.

He seems, as you said, to be the glamorous choice. He had enough trouble consistently using talent in the system the Giants established..."consistently" being the key word. Starting over and rebuilding a culture at this point ? No.

CommissarSpartacus
12-27-2016, 07:44 PM
If it was up to me, and I don't think this has a chance in hell of happening, I'd give each the job to the guy who should have got it in the first place - Jim Schwartz.

BillsImpossible
12-27-2016, 08:23 PM
If it was up to me, and I don't think this has a chance in hell of happening, I'd give each the job to the guy who should have got it in the first place - Jim Schwartz.

Schwartz is the DC in Philly.

The Eagles are 6-9....

BillsImpossible
12-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Well, today put that to rest.

There's no way in hell Doug Whaley hires Tom Coughlin. For one, he's the wrong pigment.

And there's no way Tom Coughlin takes a job where he has to answer to a hack like Whaley.

That's why I think the Pegula's wanted to meet with Tom Coughlin on more than one occasion.

They were quietly sending a message, to Whaley and Rex.

Whaley has one last chance at bat.

He either hires a guy with a lot of experience and 2 Super Bowl rings, or he gets fired after the 2018 season.

Whaley would be a fool to hire anyone else.

Mace
12-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Schwartz is the DC in Philly.

The Eagles are 6-9....

With a better defense than we have unfortunately.

BillsImpossible
12-27-2016, 09:23 PM
With a better defense than we have unfortunately.

True, but I don't think Schwartz has the experience necessary to make the Buffalo Bills a winning playoff team again.

Out of all the potential coaches out there, the last guy who I think Bill Belichick wants to face 2 times a year is Tom Coughlin.

If Coughlin had Brady as his QB throughout his coaching career, he'd have at least 4 rings on his 10 digits.

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 10:02 PM
That's why I think the Pegula's wanted to meet with Tom Coughlin on more than one occasion.

They were quietly sending a message, to Whaley and Rex.

Whaley has one last chance at bat.

He either hires a guy with a lot of experience and 2 Super Bowl rings, or he gets fired after the 2018 season.

Whaley would be a fool to hire anyone else.

He's either going to hire Anthony Lynn, or his boy from Pitt. (By the way, he's a fool.)