PDA

View Full Version : "Don’t wink at me!" - Tom Coughlin

ghz in pittsburgh
12-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Tiki talked about Coughlin moments that he's not so fond of.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tiki-barber-details-rift-pain-ass-tom-coughlin-article-1.2485836

I took notice of the following -

“The one thing he said to me, and I remember it, it was the first meeting that I ever had with him, was, ‘I don’t care how good you are, if you’re a liability to my team, then you’re not going to play,’” Barber said. “I knew was very capable of being a top player in the National Football League. And here was this guy coming and telling me he was going to be bench me if I didn’t fix the mistakes that I was making. ‘Don’t be a liability.’ And so I set out doing it.”

I remember McCoy said something to the effect that "I'm not good enough to play without practicing on Wednesdays" this year. Great players with self motivations knows. But it is obvious that's not the kind of ship Rex is running here. Often times he had players in game without a week's practice just because "he's great player."

I do think Coughlin's style will worn out people. It has always been in his coaching career. Those 6-10, 7-9 finishes in his last few years in NY could easily be interpreted as he lost the team. I'm not sure at his age, he's the right guy for the Bills. But his style might be what the Bills need right now.

X-Era
12-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Tiki talked about Coughlin moments that he's not so fond of.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tiki-barber-details-rift-pain-ass-tom-coughlin-article-1.2485836

I took notice of the following -

“The one thing he said to me, and I remember it, it was the first meeting that I ever had with him, was, ‘I don’t care how good you are, if you’re a liability to my team, then you’re not going to play,’” Barber said. “I knew was very capable of being a top player in the National Football League. And here was this guy coming and telling me he was going to be bench me if I didn’t fix the mistakes that I was making. ‘Don’t be a liability.’ And so I set out doing it.”

I remember McCoy said something to the effect that "I'm not good enough to play without practicing on Wednesdays" this year. Great players with self motivations knows. But it is obvious that's not the kind of ship Rex is running here. Often times he had players in game without a week's practice just because "he's great player."

I do think Coughlin's style will worn out people. It has always been in his coaching career. Those 6-10, 7-9 finishes in his last few years in NY could easily be interpreted as he lost the team. I'm not sure at his age, he's the right guy for the Bills. But his style might be what the Bills need right now.
Disciplinarian who unlike Marrone has Superbowl rings? Yes please. I'll take it.

trapezeus
12-22-2016, 07:55 AM
his style fits a certain person and team profile. and he's unrelenting in his pursuit. if he says that to a different player, they could check out. and he's willing to lose the job than to have slackers play some of the time and take other plays off. this bills team probably is craving the discipline and direction. but marrone was the same way. but marrone didn't have 2 superbowls to legitimize his efforst. coughlin is an old guy who has molded a few teams to the top of the league. so even if you hate him as a player, you know he knows what he's talking about. not the case for marrone.

X-Era
12-22-2016, 08:05 AM
his style fits a certain person and team profile. and he's unrelenting in his pursuit. if he says that to a different player, they could check out. and he's willing to lose the job than to have slackers play some of the time and take other plays off. this bills team probably is craving the discipline and direction. but marrone was the same way. but marrone didn't have 2 superbowls to legitimize his efforst. coughlin is an old guy who has molded a few teams to the top of the league. so even if you hate him as a player, you know he knows what he's talking about. not the case for marrone.
That's exactly it. And unlike anyone since Levy, he's got SB rings.

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
That's exactly it. And unlike anyone since Levy, he's got SB rings.

Rex has a ring from being the DC in Baltimore. That said what made Levy great (and Coughlin seems like he'd be the same) is he let his coordinators do their thing with their respective positions maybe some of his successors didn't do that. As there's no doubt Rex's finger prints are all over this defense. Of course it's ironic that Coughlin had success with guys like Gilbride and Fewell who had less success here in similar positions.

justasportsfan
12-22-2016, 09:00 AM
I guess the TE who said that Rex doesn't hold people accountable is true to a degree. IMO, Rex is more concerned about being liked than hated for holding people accountable.

It's your job. Do your job or we'll find someone who will do it. I guess that's what I see when I read about people like Coughlin or Bellicheat.

BillsFanCupp38
12-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I like caughlin but if I'm correct the odds of a coach taking two teams to the Super Bowl is extremely rare. Parcells did it but the second team didn't win. Has anyone else done it? I'm a very by the book guy and to me that stuff is important. Another example of this is that you are more likely to win the super bowl with a passing qb. Russel Wilson won one but are there other running qb's that have won the Super Bowl? I Like to try to stick with things that work.

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 10:04 AM
I like caughlin but if I'm correct the odds of a coach taking two teams to the Super Bowl is extremely rare. Parcells did it but the second team didn't win. Has anyone else done it? I'm a very by the book guy and to me that stuff is important. Another example of this is that you are more likely to win the super bowl with a passing qb. Russel Wilson won one but are there other running qb's that have won the Super Bowl? I Like to try to stick with things that work.
HC who coached two teams in Super Bowls: Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, Dick Vermeil and John Fox. In terms of running QBs winning Super Bowls. I could quote Steve Young and Jeff Hostetler.