PDA

View Full Version : Consider this

X-Era
12-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Let's assume we end at 9 and 7. I realize that is a big if but just for the sake of argument.

That means we we're one game away from the playoffs... ONE GAME.

Can any of you think of games where you watched the team make boneheads play calls over and over on offense and defense? I can. If those schemes were different could we have netted one more game?

If you follow this train of thought, ask yourself this... What is the minimum that has to change to get one more win?

Does changing ONLY the coaching get us one more win? If we keep everything else the same? Talent, FO, GM, etc...?

Could canning Rex and changing schemes be enough to get one more win?

So many here want to blow it up or start over. And If Rex goes it could easily be major changes. But how far away are we with what we have right now today at GM, O, D, ST?

Personally, I'd rather take a deep look at whats not good enough cough-coaching-cough, look at what is good enough GM, talent (close). And then look at where we need to get better replacements. Coaching, RT, WR, CB, S.

Keep what's close enough to working, can what lost you that one game, and move onward and upward.

How much different do we need to be to win one more game?

Dr. Lecter
12-22-2016, 10:44 AM
If you do that will you also look at a game the Bills won because the OTHER coach made a mistake? Or because something else weird happened? Are you willing to play the game both ways?

BTW, coach isn't the biggest problem in this team

It's quarterback Quarterbacks make coaches look smart. See Jack Del Rio. Mike Mularkey. Jason Garrett. All three are in the playoffs or contending for the playoffs.

They were idiots last year and before. now they aren't.

Get a real quarterback and Rex will look smart.

Joe Fo Sho
12-22-2016, 10:50 AM
I would bet that at 9-7 we'd be 2 games out of the playoffs. We don't hold tiebreakers over anyone.

Your logic is terribly flawed, as we don't play the same teams. Do we get to play NE without Brady again??

Which teams do we play next year that we're better than?

New England - HA
NY Jets - Beat us once already, but maybe
Miami - Not anymore
Denver - I don't think so
Oakland - No
New Orleans - Doubt it, but maybe
Tampa Bay - No
Kansas City - No
San Diego - We should win, but you never know with Rivers
Atlanta - No
Carolina - Maybe?
*Colts - Maybe?
*Bengals - Ok, sure

*assuming the standings don't change

You think this team is going to win 10 games next year with minor tweaks? You're dreaming.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Let's assume we end at 9 and 7. I realize that is a big if but just for the sake of argument.

Can any of you think of games where you watched the team make boneheads play calls over and over on offense and defense? I can. If those schemes were different could we have netted one more game?

If you follow this train of thought, ask yourself this... What is the minimum that has to change to get one more win?

Does changing ONLY the coaching get us one more win? If we keep everything else the same? Talent, FO, GM, etc...?

So many here want to blow it up or start over. And If Rex goes it could easily be major changes. But how far away are we with what we have right now today at GM, O, D, ST?

Personally, I'd rather take a deep look at whats not good enough cough-coaching-cough, look at what is good enough GM, talent (close). And then look at where we need to get better replacements. Coaching, RT, WR, CB, S.

Keep what's close enough to working, can what lost you that one game, and move onward and upward.

2016 Bills vs teams with losing records: 6-1

2016 Bills vs teams with winning records: 1-6

This is a bad football team.

justasportsfan
12-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Schwartz's defense from 2 years ago , we certainly make playoffs . Last year for sure and IMO 75% we make it this year.

Typ0
12-22-2016, 11:11 AM

2 things here.

1. Rex's brilliant mind works great for him and his cronies it does not translate well to the players. They obviously have trouble keeping track of their complex assignments and 40% of the time the plays and defensive calls have our squad just waiting to hear until it is too late. It is no wonder they have trouble with the execution part. We need a team that can communicate and we would have that win right now.

2. Rex needs the right personnel to fit into his schemes....whereas the coach that is needed here can fit the schemes to the players he has. That is the crux of the whole thing you coach the squad we have not the one you hope we have some day to make you look good.

Typ0
12-22-2016, 11:13 AM
If you do that will you also look at a game the Bills won because the OTHER coach made a mistake? Or because something else weird happened? Are you willing to play the game both ways?

It's quarterback Quarterbacks make coaches look smart. See Jack Del Rio. Mike Mularkey. Jason Garrett. All three are in the playoffs or contending for the playoffs.

Bad coaching can make the whole team look stupid too. That is how our team looks at times--stupid. I don't see a lot of people considering the trouble Taylor has processing the field is the things the coaches are asking him to do. Well, I am sorry to say it is possible and more likely the coaches are making him look stupid.

TacklingDummy
12-22-2016, 11:17 AM

Agreed.

trapezeus
12-22-2016, 11:42 AM
we could have lost to the rams. if fisher doesn't fake that punt, we lose that game. ne win was vs 3rd string and when we played at home vs their starters, we got smoked....again. jags game took until 2 minutes to confirm we won. One of the worst teams in the league. This team is not good. it's not well coached and the players don't have any leaders. kyle Williams can't be the leader when he's oft injured and very old.

chernobylwraiths
12-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Wouldn't this logic say that we are a mediocre football team?

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 11:57 AM

I remember one game when we were down 6 points and we had 1st and goal from the 10. On first down McCoy ran for 7 yards, on the next two plays Tyrod got sacked and last play he threw and incomplete pass to Robert Woods.

I also remember another game that we were down between 3 and 6 points into the 4th quarter and we had four drives to try and get a field goal and only mustered 1 first down in all those drives and Sammy Watkins played in this game.

Arm of Harm
12-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Bad coaching can make the whole team look stupid too. That is how our team looks at times--stupid. I don't see a lot of people considering the trouble Taylor has processing the field is the things the coaches are asking him to do. Well, I am sorry to say it is possible and more likely the coaches are making him look stupid.

One of the knocks on Taylor coming out of college was that he was unable to process information quickly. When we faced his former team, the Ravens, their defensive game plan consisted of making Taylor be a quarterback.

During the playoff drought we've seen plenty of third-rate and fourth-rate QBs come into Buffalo. There are always those who blame those QBs' flaws on coaching. But after those quarterbacks leave, you almost never see them accomplish anything with other teams. Not Rob Johnson, not Drew Bledsoe, not Kelly Holcomb, not J.P. Losman, not Trent Edwards, not Kyle Orton, not Matt Cassell. After being released by the Bills, Todd Collins became a quality backup QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been an okay player for the Jets. But that's about it.

Once the Bills and Taylor part ways, he isn't going to achieve more in his post-Bills career than Losman, Edwards, etc. accomplished in their post-Bills careers.

Mace
12-22-2016, 09:32 PM

Have to disagree. Rex's defense, his specialty will still be a crap. You're imagining this good running QB who can lead passing drives, but his QB coach is Wildcat Lee, they don't have a hurry up offense, and don't have patterns over the middle. He has to pass to Watkins only on fly routes, he has Jordan Mills trying to pass block.

People always assume, we run this limited passing offense because we have an inadequate QB for the greater purpose. We don't, we have a QB who fits the inadequate purpose. This offense is by design. I'll avoid Mularkey because I'm not convinced of sustained success, but Del Rio is executing his plan in tandem with GM & QB. Jason Garrett, to his credit, adapted to Prescott who rose to the challenge behind an excellent o-line. Those guys/organizations did not want a Tyrod Taylor type for their offense. Lynn/Roman/Ryan do.

Night Train
12-22-2016, 09:37 PM
The key being they cannot beat winning teams. Reality sucks.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't this logic say that we are a mediocre football team?

No, mediocre = bad. When the only team with a winning record that you can beat was starting their third string QB, you might be a bad football team.

DesertFox24
12-22-2016, 11:07 PM
What needs to change is we need to become more of a passing team

jamze132
12-23-2016, 01:51 AM

The offense led by Tyrod has been good enough the past two seasons, especially this season. The defense is/has been holding us back since Rex got here.

Oaf
12-23-2016, 01:53 AM

No, it's an average team.

cookie G
12-23-2016, 09:36 AM

The Bills have scored 24 or more points in 10 games this year...its been forever since they've done that.

In those games, they are 5-5.

Pittsburgh is 8-1 in games when they score at least 24. They are 0-5 when the other team scored more than 20.
The 10-5 Giants are 6-1 when they score more than 20 points. They are 0-4 when the other team scores at least 24.
Dallas has scored a hell of a lot of points this year, but they've also allowed an opponent to score 24 points...twice all season.
the 8-6 Texans are 6-0 when they score at least 20. They're 0-4 when the opponent scores at least 24.
KC is undefeated when they score at least 24 points.
the Broncos are 6-1 when they score at least 24 points. They are 1-4 when the other team scores more than 20.

This will most likely be the 6th straight seasn that a Rex Ryan defense has given up at least 350 points in a season.

He took over a team that gave up 289 the year before.

He made it worse.
And it will stay worse under him.

jimmifli
12-23-2016, 03:05 PM
He made it worse.
And it will stay worse under him.

It's a persuasive argument. But you've let out a very important fact:

He monopolized our draft resources to accomplish that change in performance!

It'd be one thing if he was like Chan Gailey and said, "I can make chicken salad out of chicken ****, spend the resources on the other side of the ball we'll be OK". But that's not what happened, in fact he did the opposite: "I can make this defense even better but I need to spend all our high draft picks on defense, but don't worry we'll be so good it won't matter what the offense does".

So it's not like he brought a knife to a gun fight and then held his own. He brought a gun to a knife fight and got stabbed. While talking a lot of ****.

YardRat
12-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Even a real QB couldn't make Wrecks look smart because his defense and offensive philosophy are 5-10 years behind the times. The only possible solution to 'make Wrecks look smart' is if he cans the entire coaching staff and brings in new coordinators with position coaches that they want to work with and be completely hands-off of both gameplans. Be a head coach, not a glorified coordinator. Even then he'd have to clean up the litany of bone-headed in-game mistakes he makes on his own to have a chance to 'look smart'.

Mace
12-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Even a real QB couldn't make Wrecks look smart because his defense and offensive philosophy are 5-10 years behind the times. The only possible solution to 'make Wrecks look smart' is if he cans the entire coaching staff and brings in new coordinators with position coaches that they want to work with and be completely hands-off of both gameplans. Be a head coach, not a glorified coordinator. Even then he'd have to clean up the litany of bone-headed in-game mistakes he makes on his own to have a chance to 'look smart'.

First thing you need to do to look smart is recognize your mistakes and learn to correct them. All Ryan knows how to do is double down on his same mistakes. That's a character flaw there is no getting around for anyone whoever that possesses it.

djjimkelly
12-23-2016, 08:58 PM
The offense led by Tyrod has been good enough the past two seasons, especially this season. The defense is/has been holding us back since Rex got here.

tyrod cannot come from behind with passing

we will never make the playoffs with TT as the qb

sudzy
12-24-2016, 06:31 AM
What needs to change is we need to become more of a passing team

But, how can that be??? When the GM that X-era is beating the drum for game the farm for a WR that he referred to as a "once in a generation" sort of player. When he wasn't even a "once in that draft" sort or WR. He's not even in the top 5 in WRs for THAT DRAFT. Now the Doug Whaley fan club will point to QB.... Well DUH!! That shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to figure out that you don't sell out for a WR when you don't have a QB, but, this GM that people are signing the praises of, did. Now, Whaley is working on stabbing his 2nd Head Coach in the back, claiming this team has Super Bowl contending talent? It still is no closer to finding a QB, other then our "once in a generation" player (who can't get on the field) has no WRs, went into training camp with no real Safeties other then Aaron Williams (who's return was already was questionable) and a RT that shouldn't even be on an NFL roster. Yep, right up there with New England's roster, right? Now we want to give Whaley another HC? Look do I think we should keep Rex? Other then how bad it makes us look to keep firing HCs every other year? I won't shed a tear if Rex is let go. But, if your going to fire your HC... then clean house and get the right people in at the top and work your way down. How many of the top HC candidates are going to want to come here to work with a GM that COULD NOT get along with the previous two HCs?

cookie G
12-24-2016, 12:08 PM
It's a persuasive argument. But you've let out a very important fact:

He monopolized our draft resources to accomplish that change in performance!

It'd be one thing if he was like Chan Gailey and said, "I can make chicken salad out of chicken ****, spend the resources on the other side of the ball we'll be OK". But that's not what happened, in fact he did the opposite: "I can make this defense even better but I need to spend all our high draft picks on defense, but don't worry we'll be so good it won't matter what the offense does".

So it's not like he brought a knife to a gun fight and then held his own. He brought a gun to a knife fight and got stabbed. While talking a lot of ****.

As one of the sites said after April's draft, (NFL.com, ESPN, I can't remember)..."What Rex Ryan wants, Rex Ryan gets."

In the past 6 years or so, the team he's coached has taken a defensive player with the top pick every year.

But every year, his D will give up far more points than average, and every year, someone will say, "he doesn't have the players he needs.". That excuse is finally wearing out.

Spiked and I started saying last year, he's a GM killer. This will be 3 he's burned through in 6 years.

And Whaley doesnt need much help in that regard.

justasportsfan
12-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Even a real QB couldn't make Wrecks look smart because his defense and offensive philosophy are 5-10 years behind the times.

This.

Based.on Rexs ground and pound philosophy, Tyros is the perfect qb whoch is why Rex wont look for another one if the decision was his.

Even his defensive scheme is outdated. Hes been figured out.

justasportsfan
12-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Another thing is, if your coach needs players to make him look smart, youre in trouble when those players get injured.

A great HC makes players look smart. See BB and Brisset

YardRat
12-24-2016, 04:08 PM

Like calling a TO too late on the game-tying FG attempt, and punting on 4th down with only 4+ minutes left in OT and the playoffs still on the line.

Novacane
12-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Like calling a TO too late on the game-tying FG attempt, and punting on 4th down with only 4+ minutes left in OT and the playoffs still on the line.

Or wasting all our TO in the first Q with dumb challenge and not having the team prepared. Or taking that TO before the tying TD. If we hadn't scored there that extra TO would have still made it a game. Wrecks has no feel for the flow of the game. It's unbelievable how a guy can become a HC and be that bad at game management!