• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Consider this

Let's assume we end at 9 and 7. I realize that is a big if but just for the sake of argument.

That means we we're one game away from the playoffs... ONE GAME.

Can any of you think of games where you watched the team make boneheads play calls over and over on offense and defense? I can. If those schemes were different could we have netted one more game?

If you follow this train of thought, ask yourself this... What is the minimum that has to change to get one more win?

Does changing ONLY the coaching get us one more win? If we keep everything else the same? Talent, FO, GM, etc...?

Could canning Rex and changing schemes be enough to get one more win?

So many here want to blow it up or start over. And If Rex goes it could easily be major changes. But how far away are we with what we have right now today at GM, O, D, ST?

Personally, I'd rather take a deep look at whats not good enough cough-coaching-cough, look at what is good enough GM, talent (close). And then look at where we need to get better replacements. Coaching, RT, WR, CB, S.

Keep what's close enough to working, can what lost you that one game, and move onward and upward.

How much different do we need to be to win one more game?

• Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Consider this

If you do that will you also look at a game the Bills won because the OTHER coach made a mistake? Or because something else weird happened? Are you willing to play the game both ways?

BTW, coach isn't the biggest problem in this team

It's quarterback Quarterbacks make coaches look smart. See Jack Del Rio. Mike Mularkey. Jason Garrett. All three are in the playoffs or contending for the playoffs.

They were idiots last year and before. now they aren't.

Get a real quarterback and Rex will look smart.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

I would bet that at 9-7 we'd be 2 games out of the playoffs. We don't hold tiebreakers over anyone.

Your logic is terribly flawed, as we don't play the same teams. Do we get to play NE without Brady again??

Which teams do we play next year that we're better than?

New England - HA
      NY Jets - Beat us once already, but maybe
      Miami - Not anymore
      Denver - I don't think so
      Oakland - No
      New Orleans - Doubt it, but maybe
      Tampa Bay - No
      Kansas City - No
      San Diego - We should win, but you never know with Rivers
      Atlanta - No
      Carolina - Maybe?
      *Colts - Maybe?
      *Bengals - Ok, sure

*assuming the standings don't change

You think this team is going to win 10 games next year with minor tweaks? You're dreaming.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        Let's assume we end at 9 and 7. I realize that is a big if but just for the sake of argument.

Can any of you think of games where you watched the team make boneheads play calls over and over on offense and defense? I can. If those schemes were different could we have netted one more game?

If you follow this train of thought, ask yourself this... What is the minimum that has to change to get one more win?

Does changing ONLY the coaching get us one more win? If we keep everything else the same? Talent, FO, GM, etc...?

So many here want to blow it up or start over. And If Rex goes it could easily be major changes. But how far away are we with what we have right now today at GM, O, D, ST?

Personally, I'd rather take a deep look at whats not good enough cough-coaching-cough, look at what is good enough GM, talent (close). And then look at where we need to get better replacements. Coaching, RT, WR, CB, S.

Keep what's close enough to working, can what lost you that one game, and move onward and upward.

2016 Bills vs teams with losing records: 6-1

2016 Bills vs teams with winning records: 1-6

This is a bad football team.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Schwartz's defense from 2 years ago , we certainly make playoffs . Last year for sure and IMO 75% we make it this year.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

2 things here.

1. Rex's brilliant mind works great for him and his cronies it does not translate well to the players. They obviously have trouble keeping track of their complex assignments and 40% of the time the plays and defensive calls have our squad just waiting to hear until it is too late. It is no wonder they have trouble with the execution part. We need a team that can communicate and we would have that win right now.

2. Rex needs the right personnel to fit into his schemes....whereas the coach that is needed here can fit the schemes to the players he has. That is the crux of the whole thing you coach the squad we have not the one you hope we have some day to make you look good.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
              If you do that will you also look at a game the Bills won because the OTHER coach made a mistake? Or because something else weird happened? Are you willing to play the game both ways?

It's quarterback Quarterbacks make coaches look smart. See Jack Del Rio. Mike Mularkey. Jason Garrett. All three are in the playoffs or contending for the playoffs.

Bad coaching can make the whole team look stupid too. That is how our team looks at times--stupid. I don't see a lot of people considering the trouble Taylor has processing the field is the things the coaches are asking him to do. Well, I am sorry to say it is possible and more likely the coaches are making him look stupid.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Agreed.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

we could have lost to the rams. if fisher doesn't fake that punt, we lose that game. ne win was vs 3rd string and when we played at home vs their starters, we got smoked....again. jags game took until 2 minutes to confirm we won. One of the worst teams in the league. This team is not good. it's not well coached and the players don't have any leaders. kyle Williams can't be the leader when he's oft injured and very old.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                    2016 Bills vs teams with losing records: 6-1

2016 Bills vs teams with winning records: 1-6

This is a bad football team.
                    Wouldn't this logic say that we are a mediocre football team?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

I remember one game when we were down 6 points and we had 1st and goal from the 10. On first down McCoy ran for 7 yards, on the next two plays Tyrod got sacked and last play he threw and incomplete pass to Robert Woods.

I also remember another game that we were down between 3 and 6 points into the 4th quarter and we had four drives to try and get a field goal and only mustered 1 first down in all those drives and Sammy Watkins played in this game.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                        Bad coaching can make the whole team look stupid too. That is how our team looks at times--stupid. I don't see a lot of people considering the trouble Taylor has processing the field is the things the coaches are asking him to do. Well, I am sorry to say it is possible and more likely the coaches are making him look stupid.

One of the knocks on Taylor coming out of college was that he was unable to process information quickly. When we faced his former team, the Ravens, their defensive game plan consisted of making Taylor be a quarterback.

During the playoff drought we've seen plenty of third-rate and fourth-rate QBs come into Buffalo. There are always those who blame those QBs' flaws on coaching. But after those quarterbacks leave, you almost never see them accomplish anything with other teams. Not Rob Johnson, not Drew Bledsoe, not Kelly Holcomb, not J.P. Losman, not Trent Edwards, not Kyle Orton, not Matt Cassell. After being released by the Bills, Todd Collins became a quality backup QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been an okay player for the Jets. But that's about it.

Once the Bills and Taylor part ways, he isn't going to achieve more in his post-Bills career than Losman, Edwards, etc. accomplished in their post-Bills careers.
                        Last edited by Arm of Harm; 12-22-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Have to disagree. Rex's defense, his specialty will still be a crap. You're imagining this good running QB who can lead passing drives, but his QB coach is Wildcat Lee, they don't have a hurry up offense, and don't have patterns over the middle. He has to pass to Watkins only on fly routes, he has Jordan Mills trying to pass block.

People always assume, we run this limited passing offense because we have an inadequate QB for the greater purpose. We don't, we have a QB who fits the inadequate purpose. This offense is by design. I'll avoid Mularkey because I'm not convinced of sustained success, but Del Rio is executing his plan in tandem with GM & QB. Jason Garrett, to his credit, adapted to Prescott who rose to the challenge behind an excellent o-line. Those guys/organizations did not want a Tyrod Taylor type for their offense. Lynn/Roman/Ryan do.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

The key being they cannot beat winning teams. Reality sucks.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
                              Wouldn't this logic say that we are a mediocre football team?
                              No, mediocre = bad. When the only team with a winning record that you can beat was starting their third string QB, you might be a bad football team.

Comment

Working...
                              X