PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lupica's take....

Historian
12-22-2016, 01:09 PM
I never cared for the guy, but he nails it here:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/212001194/buffalo-bills-most-dysfunctional-team-nfl?partnerId=as_mlb_20161221_68912076&adbid=811635005193535488&adbpl=tw&adbpr=595667888

The Jokeman
12-22-2016, 01:39 PM
I never cared for the guy, but he nails it here:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/212001194/buffalo-bills-most-dysfunctional-team-nfl?partnerId=as_mlb_20161221_68912076&adbid=811635005193535488&adbpl=tw&adbpr=595667888

On Wednesday morning, I asked my old friend Jerry Sullivan, a terrific columnist for The Buffalo News, just how dysfunctional the Bills are.

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Exactly the quote I was going to quote to discredit this guy.

trapezeus
12-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Sometimes you think that winning over gullible fans is more important to these people than winning football games

ouch

Skooby
12-22-2016, 03:14 PM
We are gullible, I think that's quite too true.

trapezeus
12-22-2016, 03:22 PM
who knew lupica was from Oneida? I had no idea

sudzy
12-22-2016, 04:41 PM
This

cover for a general manager who decided to sell out in one of the best drafts ever for wide receivers (2014) and move up to take Sammy Watkins and not Odell Beckham Jr. Whatever happened to Beckham, anyway? Whaley not only made a trade with the Browns to move up, he traded his 2015 first-round pick and his fourth. The player selected right after Watkins, by the Raiders, was Khalil Mack. The next wide receiver taken was Mike Evans. Then Beckham. Brandin Cooks went to the Saints later. And Rex is supposed to be the one in the most trouble in Buffalo.

Jimkelly12203
12-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Lupica is actually a great sports journalist. And he nailed this one.

The franchise is a joke. Brandon and Whaley are bush league. Regardless of Rex, the problems are infinitely deeper than our head coach.

I hope the Pegulas are reading this stuff. Because it's correct and the but-kisser's who have their ears are incorrect.

swiper
12-22-2016, 06:24 PM
We are gullible, I think that's quite too true.

Speak for yourself.

pmoon6
12-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Is this the same Mike Lupica that said the Bills should be banned from the Super Bowl after losing two in a row even if they won the AFC Championship?

It's not hard to rag on the Bills now, but you would think being a Jets Fan, he might look at his own team.

Oh yeah, Jerry Sullivan and Lupica got their journalism degrees from a school on the back of a matchbook cover. Sullivan is lucky if he manages only a little slobber when he speaks.....or maybe that's just Lupica's semen....which would explain why he doesn't think Sully is a moron.

WagonCircler
12-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Oh yeah, Jerry Sullivan and Lupica got their journalism degrees from a school on the back of a matchbook cover..

Boston College is a pretty expensive matchbook cover. (And a reputable one).

trapezeus
12-23-2016, 08:19 AM
there is a difference between a reporter and an op ed guy. Sullivan and lupica are the latter. and they know how to sell the paper. say some outlandish stuff, say it on a bad team where you routinely are correct. Sullivan's worst nightmare is a functional team. because then his schtick will fall apart.

Fixxxer
12-23-2016, 08:22 AM
The Pegulas may be about to fire another coach, Rex Ryan.

The Pegulas may be clueless, but this is a lie, Marrone took the out clause and quit.

streetkings01
12-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Now I know why a lot of people left this board..........nothing but complaining from login to log off.

sdbillsfan2
12-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Now I know why a lot of people left this board..........nothing but complaining from login to log off.

So where is all the upbeat news we should all be jumping up and down about ?
The board is reflecting ( accurately) the current sad state of affairs of a pitiful excuse of an NFL team.
Credit is given where credits is due. Criticism is given where criticism is earned. People aren't leaving because of opinion. People have just lost interest in this team.
Can you say $2.00 Bills tickets ?

streetkings01
12-23-2016, 09:59 AM
So where is all the upbeat news we should all be jumping up and down about ?
The board is reflecting ( accurately) the current sad state of affairs of a pitiful excuse of an NFL team.
Credit is given where credits is due. Criticism is given where criticism is earned. People aren't leaving because of opinion. People have just lost interest in this team.
Can you say $2.00 Bills tickets ?We all know the Bills suck and have suck for almost decades , but to come on these boards everyday and ***** and moan about the same thing everyday likes it's something new gets old pretty quick......like after the 20th thread about the same topic! The topics on this message board are old and stale........some of you guys have turned into Jerry Sullivan.......no matter what the Bills do anyways you guys are so programmed now to believe it's a terrible move and it'll never work........then you come here and start a thread telling us about it.

sdbillsfan2
12-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Maybe a little more fiber in your diet would help.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Russ Brandon is a genius. He's never going to get fired? You know why? Because he is constantly convincing us to spend our money and time on the Bills, year after year. We freeze our baguettes off in temperatures that would freeze a Tauntaun's nutsack to watch what appears, at times, to resemble a monkey humping a football. He fires up the Hype Machine like no other. He sells us crap sandwiches every season, tells us they are roast beef, and we believe him! Smiling while we eat them, laughing, believing that they taste good and that we will want another. And another, and another...you get my point. Until we as fans stop going to games, I mean from day 1 of the season, nothing will ever change.
This off season will be no different. The team will be painted as "On the cusp", Rex will get fired because he's not a miracle worker, nor an ass kisser. We will go through the draft, witnessing some 2nd or 3rd round talent being drafted by the Bills in the middle of the first round. At first we will scratch our heads, but eventually we will come around, because that's what we do. Come around.

I personally, am getting tired of it. 25 years since they won a playoff game. 18 since they made the playoffs, and what happened in that game was the biggest kick in the nuts in sports history.

I'm close to being done. I've been saying it for years, as my care factor dwindles little by little with each coach, qb, season, etc. I don't know how much more garbage I can eat. How many more crap sandwiches until I'm full. How many more times I can listen to "this team is almost there".

Pegula may have saved the Bills, but he's slowly killing me. I sometimes think it would've been better if someone else bought the team and moved it elsewhere so we'd all be out of our miseries.

WagonCircler
12-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Russ Brandon is a genius. He's never going to get fired? You know why? Because he is constantly convincing us to spend our money and time on the Bills, year after year..

Russ Brandon is the Devil.

streetkings01
12-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Maybe a little more fiber in your diet would help.Was this supposed to be witty?

Bill Cody
12-23-2016, 10:53 AM
We all know the Bills suck and have suck for almost decades , but to come on these boards everyday and ***** and moan about the same thing everyday likes it's something new gets old pretty quick......like after the 20th thread about the same topic! The topics on this message board are old and stale........some of you guys have turned into Jerry Sullivan.......no matter what the Bills do anyways you guys are so programmed now to believe it's a terrible move and it'll never work........then you come here and start a thread telling us about it.

I hear you man but think this through....what DOESN'T get old pretty quick after 17 years?? Seriously. If every day you fall down and skin your knee you don't say "YAY" on the 4th day because "ouch" was getting boring, DO YOU?

trapezeus
12-23-2016, 12:33 PM
I would argue that Brandon is the problem. he hasn't sold you anything. you love thebills because its your hometown team and it resonates in our community. it did, long before Brandon ever showed up. Brandon's ineptitude of selling games to Toronto and bungling every GM and coach and FA pick up has taken its toll. So forward lateral is losing his interest because of Brandon. you didn't stay because of him. That's the lie that keeps getting sold and I'm over it. I'm with you, the awfulness doesn't even sting now. you know its coming and you move on. it's easy to do other things on sundays. you'd like to think an owner would see this sentiment when he hears tickets sell for 6 dollars on the secondary market and that the stadium looks like a D3 football game.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2016, 12:45 PM
I would argue that Brandon is the problem. he hasn't sold you anything. you love thebills because its your hometown team and it resonates in our community. it did, long before Brandon ever showed up. Brandon's ineptitude of selling games to Toronto and bungling every GM and coach and FA pick up has taken its toll. So forward lateral is losing his interest because of Brandon. you didn't stay because of him. That's the lie that keeps getting sold and I'm over it. I'm with you, the awfulness doesn't even sting now. you know its coming and you move on. it's easy to do other things on sundays. you'd like to think an owner would see this sentiment when he hears tickets sell for 6 dollars on the secondary market and that the stadium looks like a D3 football game.

The problem is Pegula puts all of his trust into Brandon and Whaley, when he should be talking to people on the outside to get a better perspective. That's what GOOD business owners do.

Turf
12-23-2016, 01:33 PM
The problem is Pegula puts all of his trust into Brandon and Whaley, when he should be talking to people on the outside to get a better perspective. That's what GOOD business owners do.

I think Terry befriends these guys he hires because as he sees it, they help him run the team. And I think that is the major problem with his failure so far. Do other owners have daily interaction with the staff? I don't know.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2016, 02:46 PM
I think Terry befriends these guys he hires because as he sees it, they help him run the team. And I think that is the major problem with his failure so far. Do other owners have daily interaction with the staff? I don't know.
Other owners have people outside of the organization they can trust. Pegula doesn't. At least not any smart ones, by the looks of it.

trapezeus
12-23-2016, 03:46 PM
I don't disagree with you, FL. I'm just saying, don't give Brandon that story line that he's selling anything. he is hurting the bills. the owners should know that. the team is at a tipping point where we all want to be excited but we know we have a crap salad. so we don't really care. and over the next 3 years, if they are going to push this again and have equally terrible results, they are going to see people walk from getting tickets.

and I do think terry and kim care. they don't want that. good business people also evaluate what they got so they know what cuts to make. that' how they ran the sabres. They let the old guard fail with nothing to latch on as an excuse.

It's not clear that they will do the same here. I fear they won't. To me, even if you have to buy out Brandon's share, you do it. he is a cancer on this organization. but they may not see it that way and need to see 3 more years of failure before they change it up. and that sucks.

swiper
12-23-2016, 04:36 PM

That's what happens when a pro football franchise can't get itself to a play-off game once in 17 years.