PDA

View Full Version : The Bills can still make the playoffs

feldspar
12-23-2016, 10:03 AM
According to this article in USA Today, here is how:

1) Win at home to the Dolphins and then on the road to the Jets, which’ll get its record to 9-7 (and 3-3 in the conference)

2) Have the Colts lose to either the Raiders or Jags in its final two games.

3) Have the Broncos lose to Oakland in its final game, or preferably both of its final two games.

4) Have the Titans lose to the Jags and the Texans.

5) Have the Ravens lose out against the Steelers and Bengals.

6)Beat the Dolphins (see point one) and hope it loses to the Pats in in the final week.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/2016-buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-chances-odds-rex-ryan-coach-afc-east-standings

Extremely unlikely...very, very unlikely.

Just thought I would post this, for those who wondered.

Joe Fo Sho
12-23-2016, 10:23 AM
I could see each individual bullet point happening, some more likely than others, but still possible. I absolutely can not see all 6 of them happening.

Either way, it's good to know what we should be rooting for I guess.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2016, 10:25 AM
7) Grow an arm out of your ass

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-23-2016, 10:36 AM
lol. even if we do make the playoffs as a 6 seed, we will just get run over by Leveon Bell in the wildcard week

The King
12-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Here's the kicker. If the Bills win out we're 9-7 that's actually an improvement from last season. Granted expectations were higher and we didnt really beat anyone. But it is an improvement. It's also our second winning season in 3 years.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Here's the kicker. If the Bills win out we're 9-7 that's actually an improvement from last season. Granted expectations were higher and we didnt really beat anyone. But it is an improvement. It's also our second winning season in 3 years.
AND, if they finish 8-8 or better, it's the first time in 20+ years that they've had back to back non-losing seasons.

PS--how pathetic is it that we are discussing this like it is an accomplishment?

YardRat
12-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Can't remember who it was, and I don't remember the details from the specific season myself, but a former player that was with the Jets in Wrecks' first season there was on NFLN earlier this week and said NY was in a similar situation back then and Wryan flat-out told the team they weren't going to be able to make the playoffs. Then they did, and went to the championship game.

Stranger things have happened, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

Arm of Harm
12-23-2016, 04:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

Mace
12-23-2016, 05:36 PM
AND, if they finish 8-8 or better, it's the first time in 20+ years that they've had back to back non-losing seasons.

PS--how pathetic is it that we are discussing this like it is an accomplishment?

I just don't think it is.

It took two years to make the lost Marrone's barely 9-7 team....a barely 9-7 team if it happens. They've gone from 6-10 to 6-10 to 6-10, then 9-7 to 8-8 to 9-7 (maybe or 8-8) in 6 years. 6 years.

Last time we were 9-7 before this "progress", was 2004. If you take out the 4 win season and the 5 win season, there were 3 years of 7-9 and one more of 6-10.

So in the last 12 years, we've spent 10 of them in the 6-9 wins range.

It's progress in the sense rocking your car gains you a few inches when it's hopelessly stuck in the snow. Of course you lose them again, but then you get them back !

OpIv37
12-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Gotta love the annual Buffalo Bills Playoff Math:

"If the Bills win out and team A loses out and Team B loses to team C but beats team D and team C doesn't win out, then we'll be in!"

Ed
12-23-2016, 06:16 PM
The Titans don't need to lose to the Jags, but either the Titans or the Texans need to lose this weekend and then lose again next week when they play each other. Ideally we want both the Texans and Titans to lose this weekend since it would make their week 17 matchup irrelevant.

The only things that have to happen this weekend for the Bills to stay alive going into the final week are:

1) Beat the Dolphins.
2) Steelers beat the Ravens in Pitt.
3) Either the Titans or Texans lose. Titans play at Jax and Texans host the Bengals.

I don't see much chance of the Titans losing since the Jags are garbage, but the Bengals beating the Texans seems reasonably feasible.

Ed
12-23-2016, 06:21 PM
I should probably include the Colts losing at Oakland this weekend since I don't think the Jags can beat anyone, but technically they'd still be alive.

And the Broncos/Chiefs game is irrelevant. The Broncos have to lose to Oakland no matter what. What happens against the Chiefs doesn't make a difference.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-23-2016, 06:29 PM
I should probably include the Colts losing at Oakland this weekend since I don't think the Jags can beat anyone, but technically they'd still be alive.

And the Broncos/Chiefs game is irrelevant. The Broncos have to lose to Oakland no matter what. What happens against the Chiefs doesn't make a difference.
you know everything will fall into place perfectly except one important thing....

a bills victory.

jamze132
12-23-2016, 06:48 PM
you know everything will fall into place perfectly except one important thing....

a bills victory.
Exactly. Miami knows they win and they're pretty much in...

Mace
12-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Funny thing is, I think we beat Miami and somehow lose to the Jets.

Skooby
12-23-2016, 07:01 PM
If Miami wins their last 2 games they are in the playoffs 100% of the time, Bills are coming currently a footnote.

Mace
12-23-2016, 07:07 PM
If Miami wins their last 2 games they are in the playoffs 100% of the time, Bills are coming currently a footnote.

I bought into your vision of success just a short time and a few dozen threads ago, and now you've finished shattering my dreams MurrayDowntown. You said they'd make it, not be a footnote. I trusted your keen eye and logical reasoning, and now I'm left desolate on Christmas Eve eve.

feldspar
12-23-2016, 08:43 PM

"If the Bills win out and team A loses out and Team B loses to team C but beats team D and team C doesn't win out, then we'll be in!"

Go, Bills!

Ed
12-23-2016, 08:48 PM

a bills victory.
Yeah, that's the one common denominator every single year when these threads roll around. The Bills never do what they need to, which makes everything else irrelevant.

I don't really know what to make of the fins game, but I find it interesting that the Bills started the week at 3.5 point favorites and now the line has moved all the way to 5.0. I didn't expect them to be that heavily favored, but I also think the fins are a total fraudulent team. They've struggled every week to beat the crappiest teams.

BertSquirtgum
12-23-2016, 10:22 PM
The Bills can still make the playoffs.....In 2017

feldspar
12-23-2016, 10:55 PM

May as well rule that out too, while we're at it.

jills
12-24-2016, 12:55 AM

http://gag.fm/uploads/posts/t/l-11803.jpg

feldspar
12-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Who to root for this weekend, per Chris Brown:

Saturday 1 pm games that impact Buffalo
Tennessee (8-6) vs. Jacksonville (2-12)
The Bills need at least one of the 8-6 AFC South teams to lose this weekend to stay alive in the playoff race (assuming a Bills win over Miami). Tennessee is one of those teams. Buffalo needs a big day from the Doug Marrone-led Jaguars.
Root for the Jaguars.

Saturday 4 pm game that impacts Buffalo
Indianapolis Colts (7-7) vs. Oakland Raiders (11-3)
It's not a must that the Raiders beat the Colts in this game, but it would eliminate the need to have the Colts lose in Week 17 when they face the Jaguars at home. Buffalo would prefer the Raiders post win number 12.
Root for the Raiders.

Saturday night game that impacts Buffalo
Cincinnati (5-8-1) vs. Houston (8-6)
Buffalo needs a big day from the Bengals. Fortunately A.J. Green looks like he’ll be returning to Cincinnati’s lineup to face the Texans with Tom Savage at quarterback. As stated above either the Titans or the Texans have to lose this week (or both) to keep Buffalo alive another week.
Root for the Bengals.

Sunday 4 pm game that impacts Buffalo
Baltimore (8-6) vs. Pittsburgh (9-5)
At this point Buffalo needs Pittsburgh to win and seal the AFC North title. Beating Baltimore is essential to keep the Bills alive in the playoff race. If the Ravens win, Buffalo’s playoff hopes are over.
Root for the Steelers.

Sunday night game that impacts Buffalo
Denver (8-6) vs. Kansas City (10-4)
A Denver loss this week is not a must to keep Buffalo’s playoff hopes alive this week, but it would certainly help their cause. The Broncos lost 30-27 to the Chiefs in their first meeting a month ago.
Root for the Chiefs.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Who-to-root-for---Week-16/6ab39126-2ca9-4b49-b62d-8c0bfe82c562

Of course, the Bills need to beat Miami, too.

Mike13
12-24-2016, 09:27 AM
So mathmatically eliminated you say.......

feldspar
12-24-2016, 09:41 AM

That's the idea.

May as well be aware as a Bills fan...

Everyone is a smart-ass about it, myself included.

Skooby
12-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Nearly but we can help finish you guys off in the mean time.

Mike13
12-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Nearly but we can help finish you guys off in the mean time.
My cynical ass kind of expects that to happen. You guys have been a matchup nightmare under Rex.

feldspar
12-24-2016, 10:56 AM
My cynical ass kind of expects that to happen. You guys have been a matchup nightmare under Rex.

We have receivers this time.

Woods and Watkins were out last time.

swiper
12-25-2016, 06:19 AM
Care to recalculate this thread post?

Luisito23
12-25-2016, 07:58 AM
LOL...Good, no more of these stupid ass threads.

hammerbillsfan
12-25-2016, 05:38 PM
7) Grow an arm out of your ass

you're still a ****ing beauty!

Turf
12-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, so far everything that needed to happen had we won happened.

Skooby
12-25-2016, 08:32 PM
/ thread & season.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-25-2016, 10:58 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, so far everything that needed to happen had we won happened.
see post number 13 for reference......

sudzy
12-26-2016, 05:43 AM

That's the spirit. Keep telling yourself that.

feldspar
12-26-2016, 06:09 AM
Yep, we would still be in the playoff hunt in week 17 had the Bills won this game. They lost despite having set a franchise record for most yards gained on offense with 589. The Bills had the third most yards in a loss since the NFL merger.

But everything went our way except us winning:

1) we needed either the Titans or Texans to lose - the Titans lost to the Jaguars

2) We wanted the Colts to lose to the Raiders so we wouldn't have to need them to lose next week - this happened

3) We needed the Ravens to lose to the Steelers to stay alive - check, this happened

4) We wanted the Broncos to lose to the Chiefs to help our cause - yeah, it happened too

The only thing that didn't happen was 5) The Bills needed to win. Truly unbelievable the way it happened too. Blame it on the defense, coaching, and Dan Carpenter...not only did he miss 2 fieldgoals (either one of which would have made the difference), but he can't kick the ball in the end zone on kick-offs. His kickoff near the end of regulation led to a 40-yard kickoff return to set up the Dolphin's 55-yard tying fieldgoal about when time expired. Where is Jordan Gay when you actually need him? Lol. You wonder why they keep bringing him back...well, THIS is why...

Pisses me off every time I think about that botched Reggie Bush trick play on our first drive in overtime when there was no doubt that we should have taken the lead, and were in perfect position to win that game.