PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about - Cyrus Kouandjio

kingJofNYC
12-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Two game sample, buts he's more than handled his own. Good to see him playing well, no sacks and only 1 hurry, run game hasn't lost a beat with Glenn being out. Not sure if he can play RT, but it's nice to see this guy finally playing football.

Could develop into something, or might not, just thought we should give him some credit.

Mace
12-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Could develop into something, or might not

I know that song.

Ed
12-24-2016, 11:45 PM
He should be the starting LT next year and Glenn should move to RT. LT and RT are equally important in todays NFL and you need good players at both positions.

Mace
12-25-2016, 12:06 PM
He should be the starting LT next year and Glenn should move to RT. LT and RT are equally important in todays NFL and you need good players at both positions.
Well, I wouldn't replace a solid LT with a maybe guy to make the solid LT a maybe RT. It doubles potential weakness. Addressing RT and leaving LT alone is the way to go, With Kouandjio ? Well, he couldn't beat out Jordan Mills for a lower profile position.

mdcas22
12-25-2016, 01:31 PM
you do what ever you have to roo get your best 5 o-linmen on the field, if moving Glenn to right tackle is what it takes so be it, Kujo said it himself on wrg that he feel more comfortable on the left side, Kujo still has only been playing football for about 6 years and stills has a big upside. Glenn played right tackle in college so he might be the answer.

Mahdi
12-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Great to see him playing well. Good thing the Bills didn't cut him as half the folks here wanted.

Mace
12-25-2016, 04:17 PM
you do what ever you have to roo get your best 5 o-linmen on the field, if moving Glenn to right tackle is what it takes so be it, Kujo said it himself on wrg that he feel more comfortable on the left side, Kujo still has only been playing football for about 6 years and stills has a big upside. Glenn played right tackle in college so he might be the answer.

The best 5 linemen are on the field. If Kouandjio was one of them, Mills wouldn't be playing. It's still a poor idea to place a guy who can't win a RT job at LT, a position you don't have to worry about. If people haven't learned from the Bills making more problems instead of simply solving the right one by now, I don't even know what to say.

YardRat
12-25-2016, 04:59 PM
The offensive line has been solid and mostly consistent all season. Considering how many different line combinations have been used (I believe Richie is the only guy that's played the same position for the first 15 weeks) IMO that speaks volumes about any depth issue on that squad, and possibly how good of a job Kromer has been doing.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Th real question would be if the Bills should dangle a big carrot - I mean some serious money but below market LT money - in front of him in the off season. As things stand out now, Kouandjio's future is trade bait because the Bills already give LT money to Glenn. But if they are able to have him sign into a reasonable deal, they shoukd ask Glenn to the right side. Heck he already got his money.

Fixxxer
12-26-2016, 10:54 AM
7. Cyrus Kouandjio, T, Buffalo Bills
Playing left tackle, Cyrus Kouandjio avoided the devastation that was wreaked on the other side by Cameron Wake, but against Miami, he was pretty much flawless. He didn’t allow any QB pressures at all over 46 snaps of pass protection, and his run blocking was excellent, helping the Bills to rack up 272 rushing yards at 5.6 yards per carry.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-best-players-from-the-weekends-nfl-action/?utm_content=buffer6fabc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

cookie G
12-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Well, I wouldn't replace a solid LT with a maybe guy to make the solid LT a maybe RT. It doubles potential weakness. Addressing RT and leaving LT alone is the way to go, With Kouandjio ? Well, he couldn't beat out Jordan Mills for a lower profile position.

It is worth a shot. The games he's started at LT, he's been very solid. There may be something to the idea that he bum knee doesn't allow him to move with the same agility from the right as from the left. I just know he plays pass pro far better on the left. Not perfect, he'll always have a problem with speed rushers, but neither is Glenn.

As far as run blocking goes, I've thought he's the best run blocker on the team not named Ritchie. (And i think Wood, Glenn and Miller are very good run blockers).

As far as Mills goes....his pass pro is well below standard, as much as people like to think otherwise. He's given up something like 9 sacks and 40 pressures. You watch him play and he is usually the first guy beaten in pass pro.

At the moment, in pass pro, you have one guy who's an 80 at LT and probably a 40 at RT.

If Glenn can play RT...you can change that to a 75 at RT and a guy who's probably now a 70 at LT.

I'd take that over an 80 and a 40.

Is Glenn willing? A good thing to consider. But as someone elsewhere already pointed out, Glenn's been paid his LT money, his contract isn't an issue.

Ed
12-26-2016, 03:24 PM
I think Kouandjio has looked great at LT in the games he's started and he's still only 23 years old. I don't see him as a liability or question at LT, I just see a young player coming into his own with a ton of upside. Glenn is a solid LT, but I think he can be an even better RT. If Kouandjio is more comfortable on the left and can continue to improve then maybe he's a better option at LT and we upgrade both positions. And I'm not sure that Kouandjio even really competed at RT. I thought they had him focus primarily on LT while Mills and Henderson played RT. Mills is a FA after the season and will probably want a fairly significant raise, and I don't think he's worth it. Henderson is serving a supsension and can't really be counted on with all his issues. So they're going to need to sign/draft some competition/depth at OT, but I don't think we should pursue big name FA's or use a top pick at the position when we already have two guys that look like good starters. I don't care which side they line up on, but I'm just suggesting that maybe moving Glenn to RT makes the most sense.

Mace
12-26-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't care which side they line up on, but I'm just suggesting that maybe moving Glenn to RT makes the most sense.

That's fine, can agree to disagree.

I just think Kouandjio is good at being a backup depth swing tackle.

This organization has traditionally out-thought itself and done poorly when tasked with the obvious or attempting projects, I mean there is no arguing it. It was pretty apparent last year, Mills, Henderson and Kouandjio needed upgrade. My own opinion is that if you have a solid left tackle, you keep him at left tackle, and if you need a right tackle, you get a right tackle instead of making three issues out of one.

Three, Mace ? If it doesn't work, you've weakened RT, LT, and swing tackle instead of just addressing one position, the obvious one. Plus, you've probably extended the problem by spending no contingency for another year and you're in the exact same position. Well switch them back then ! Ok, you've spent games on an unsuccessful experiment, and put off the obvious solution for another year.

What if it works though ? Enjoy it while it lasts. Kouandjio's rookie contract is about done, and do you want to spend cap room we might not have paying two tackles LT money ? Renegotiate Glenn ? He'll tell you to take a hike, he was making LT money because he's a proven capable LT and teams know it. Boot him and off he goes, and well, it's only close to 10 million in dead cap.

So off Kouandjio goes looking for LT money, he'll get it. You have no LT ! Put Glenn back, guess what, you need an RT again, like you did when the whole thing started.

I can't understand why people always want to move Glenn. He's been solid and redoubtable. I remember the worry when we didn't have one. Try this player, or that player ! But we have one now. 72 games of dependable. And people want to replace that with....how many games has Kouandjio started again ?

We need an RT. Just upgrade RT.

Jimkelly12203
12-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Whaley is an amazing NFL executive. Kuanjio is just one of many examples of how elite this guy is.