PDA

View Full Version : Investing less and less in the Bills each year.

NC-BILLS44
12-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love the Buffalo Bills and have been a fan for 40 years, but I find myself investing less and less time, money and emotions into this team.
17 years without a playoff game and finally a blowhard coach like Rex have done me in. I will root for the Bills again next year but to what level I'm not sure because I'm emotional spent right now. Hopefully (as usual) they will be better next year, but remember HOPE is a 4 letter word.

trapezeus
12-27-2016, 10:11 AM
more and more bills fans feel this way. we watch so casually. I hope the pegulas know this is Brandon driven. this isn't about just a coach or GM. this crappiness has been consistent for Brandon's entire tenure. rarely do top executives get away with missing expectations routinely. and his false narrative that he sells the stadium is a huge insult to people like the original poster who inherently love this team and town. you announce that russ Brandon isn't part of the organization in any meaningful way and you will have a re-energized fanbase. even if the next gm and coach are no names.

Scumbag College
12-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I agree.

I'm a CNY native and relocated to So. Cal a few years ago. I'll go to pretty much every game at the San Diego Bills Backer bar to watch and patronize the bar and hang out with friends from back home, but I haven't given any money to the Bills or the NFL in years. I'd go to one game a year back home the last ten years I lived there, and that was down from multiple games a year. My girlfriend got me an officially licensed Bills shirt for Christmas, but that's the only piece of clothing that I have that comes from the NFL.

I still do enjoy the games, as frustrating and disappointing as they are to watch. But my money goes elsewhere.

Jimkelly12203
12-27-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm at the point where i don't even mind if i miss a game on TV. I had my wife trained to simply write off fall sunday's as having a zero percent chance of me doing anything other than watching the Bills or going to the bar to watch the Bills or going to the game at the Ralph to watch the Bills. I honestly don't really give a crap anymore. It's a joke.

This is pretty much the worst franchise in pro sports.

SpikedLemonade
12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Well, I went to 3 Bills games this year (Home Opener, @ Oakland and last Saturday) so I don't know if I invested less this year, but my expectations get lower and lower each year.

It has been an emotionally exhausting run.

The Jokeman
12-27-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm definitely not as emotionally invested.

sdbillsfan2
12-27-2016, 10:43 AM
whats sad and telling at the same time is , the last few weeks ticket prices dropped so low. $6.00 and $2.00 seats and there were still empty seats.
I realized this year that life goes on just fine if I don't expose myself to frustration and anger every Sunday during the football season.
Unless there is major change with this team....I can see myself having only a slight interest at best next year.

Thurmal
12-27-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested as I was. I still watch every game, but it's essentially become not much more than an excuse for me to party with friends and family.

You just get tired of seeing the constant failure over and over again. I watched the last game with my dad and brother, and we were barely excited when they scored on 4th down to take the lead. We all knew that they would give up a big drive in the final minute, the other team would hit an improbable FG, and then they would lose in OT. We were even joking about that exact scenario before the kickoff. And that's exactly what happened. Wasn't a terribly impressive prediction; it's like predicting your lawn will be green before opening your front door every morning. With this team, you've got to shut down emotionally as a defense mechanism, really.

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 11:01 AM
I'm at the point where i don't even mind if i miss a game on TV. I had my wife trained to simply write off fall sunday's as having a zero percent chance of me doing anything other than watching the Bills or going to the bar to watch the Bills or going to the game at the Ralph to watch the Bills. I honestly don't really give a crap anymore. It's a joke.

This is pretty much the worst franchise in pro sports.

Exactly. The only home game I went to this year was for the purpose of screaming at Kaepernick and hoping to personally witness a career ending injury.

I will not spend another red cent on this franchise until Whaley and Brandon are gone.

swiper
12-27-2016, 11:06 AM
I've been spent since the Jauron, bring in Marv as GM years. No maybe even that last year of Wade Philips. What a joke.

Thurmal
12-27-2016, 11:15 AM
I've been spent since the Jauron, bring in Marv as GM years. No maybe even that last year of Wade Philips. What a joke.
The Jauron years were what truly killed any last bit of hope I had. Trent Edwards, "home" games in Canada that had more fans for the opposing team, etc.

When he was fired, I had a shred of belief left, then we hired Chan Gailey, which was like moving from a cardboard box in an alley to a cardboard box under a bridge.

WagonCircler
12-27-2016, 11:29 AM
The Jauron years were what truly killed any last bit of hope I had. Trent Edwards, "home" games in Canada that had more fans for the opposing team, etc.

When he was fired, I had a shred of belief left, then we hired Chan Gailey, which was like moving from a cardboard box in an alley to a cardboard box under a bridge.

That's what makes the here and now so depressing. Pegula was supposed to represent a new hope--a new way of doing things. Instead, we got Ralph Wilson III.

Albany,n.y.
12-27-2016, 11:32 AM
I had seasons from 1991-2011 even though I live almost 300 miles away from Orchard Park. I've been to every playoff game in Orchard Park & went to all 4 Super Bowls. From the middle of 1990 through November 2007, the only games I didn't go to were the preseason games. I once said that if I was already in Buffalo & the roads were closed by a snowstorm I'd walk to the game, that's how dedicated I was. Fortunately, that never happened.
I'm down to 1 or 2 games a year, although I still go to a satellite location if the Bills aren't on home TV. This year I went to the opener in Baltimore because it was easier to fly in & out of Baltimore than driving to Buffalo & I went to my one home game vs the 49ers this season. I'll never get back the enthusiasm I had 10-20 years ago, although I will go to the Super Bowl if the Bills make it & I'm still physically able to do so.

Jimkelly12203
12-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Exactly. The only home game I went to this year was for the purpose of screaming at Kaepernick and hoping to personally witness a career ending injury.

HAHA! You did your work well! I was talking to my relatives in Buffalo that week and they said they were going to give him hell. I heard it was nuts! I had some non-bills fan coworkers ask me before the game and I told them he's going to get killed in Buffalo for his nonsense.

https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/21/kaepernick-buffalo-worst-city/

kishoph
12-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love the Buffalo Bills and have been a fan for 40 years, but I find myself investing less and less time, money and emotions into this team.
17 years without a playoff game and finally a blowhard coach like Rex have done me in. I will root for the Bills again next year but to what level I'm not sure because I'm emotional spent right now. Hopefully (as usual) they will be better next year, but remember HOPE is a 4 letter word.

I have been the same way for the past 2 seasons, but today has been like a rebirth for me. I hated the day OBD brought Ryan in and could not get over seeing him on the sidelines or hearing a commentator say "Rex Ryan's Bills". For the 1st time in over 45 years I didn't care if they won or lost and honestly these last few games a part of me wanted them to lose, just so they would fire Ryan. It will be a welcomed feeling on Sunday not being nauseated by watching the Buffalo Bills play, instead of "Rex Ryans Bills."

chris66
12-28-2016, 06:22 AM
more and more bills fans feel this way. we watch so casually. I hope the pegulas know this is Brandon driven. this isn't about just a coach or GM. this crappiness has been consistent for Brandon's entire tenure. rarely do top executives get away with missing expectations routinely. and his false narrative that he sells the stadium is a huge insult to people like the original poster who inherently love this team and town. you announce that russ Brandon isn't part of the organization in any meaningful way and you will have a re-energized fanbase. even if the next gm and coach are no names.
Without Brandon this team would be gone. Every year he suckers bills fans into buying tickets. The guy is a marketing genius.

Novacane
12-28-2016, 06:47 AM
Same here. I didn't even watch the Browns game. I won't watch the Jets game. I don't think there's any move they can make that would get me to renew my tickets next year. I've finally had enough.

DynaPaul
12-28-2016, 07:31 AM
I used to go to 2 - 3 home games a year from the Albany area. Now I haven't been to one since my son was born.

He'll be 6 in February!